How do I learn to like sushi?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mr_scaramanga

How do I learn to like sushi?

Post by mr_scaramanga »

I'd like to know if anyone once hated sushi, but later somehow learned to like it.

When I got my first job out of college some years ago, I was invited to lunch by a group of new employees to eat sushi at the local Wegmans. The company I was working for was a very large engineering company and Wegmans was right across the street. I had never eaten sushi in my life. No one in my family ate it, none of my friends in college ate it. It was not served at any eatery at my college. Honestly, I always thought of sushi as an exotic food mainly eaten by the Japanese. I have always had a real problem with any seafood. I really can't even eat cooked seafood - there is just something about the smell and look of fish that turns me off. However, I love red meat and chicken.

So, the thought of eating raw seafood was revolting to me. To me, eating sushi would have been like eating raw monkey brains. As years have gone by, I now pay attention to how very popular eating sushi is in this country. I meet more and more people who love it and I've warmed slightly to the idea. However, I can't quite get over the edge into trying it.

This may seem a bit ridiculous, but I think there is a real career benefit to me if I learn to like it. For some reason, it seems that many of the young engineers really like sushi and go out frequently for it. It almost sets me apart from other groups of engineers to not go out and eat sushi with them.

So, has anyone gone through this? Have you been off-put by sushi at one point, and then learned to like it? How did you train yourself to do it? Thanks
TomatoTomahto

Re: How do I learn to like sushi?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I wasn't put off by the idea of sushi, but just didn't care for the taste of most of it. California rolls are pretty good, so if sushi is what's available, I'll eat some of those.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Start with cooked preparations or veggie ones. Not all sushi is raw. It is my understanding that shrimp is always cooked (if it's red it's cooked, raw shrimp is pale grey). Also, lots (all?) sushi places have vegetarian sushi, items like cucumber, peanut, avocado, asparagus. But rolled in rice and wrapped in seaweed. See if you prefer it with soy sauce or not. Try a little wasabi. Get used to the mixture of flavors which are associated with sushi, but which have nothing to do with raw fish.

My wife accompanied me to sushi restaurants for many years before she tried her first bite of raw fish. Now she can do tuna and salmon, but doesn't like most other fish.
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

Martini's.

Seriously. The first few times I had sushi was after 2-3 Sapphire dry up.

Now I really like it, no booze needed.

:beer
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Some sushi is cooked, but you stated you do not like cooked fish. As mentioned, most of the shrimp is cooked.

Some raw fish is not sushi. I'm thinking of bagels with salmon (lox) and cream cheese. Maybe start there?

And some things is not for human consumption in my opinion. Examples: fermented sea urchin or liver of eel.

Japanese food is a lot more than sushi. I don't think the Japanese eat as much raw fish as folks might imagine.

And you can "cheat" on sushi: Order tamago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

In our area sushi buffets are the rage. which is great because once I tried it, I can not get enough...
I have no memory of my first time trying it yet now I am a sushi snob and easily pass by the California rolls (no fish) for both the raw and cooked delights. Like all foods we have trouble eating (salads for some) you may need to add taste; say with mustard (sparingly), soy sauce and ginger. And sometimes it just does not take and you may have to settle for tempura dishes so you can stay with the in-crowd :mrgreen:
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
mhc

Post by mhc »

I have learned to eat just about any properly prepared food by repeatedly eating the item I didn't like. I did this with cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, cooked cabbage, brussel sprouts, ....

I just about puked the first time I had sushi. I took a date to a Japanese restaurant. Neither one of us new anything about sushi. When they brought out the ginger and wasabi, I thought chips and guacamole. That was a mistake. Then all I had to drink was sake. That didn't help. I made sure I new where the restroom was. It was a close call.

I have learned to love sushi. I'm using sushi generically for all types. My favorite not are the large chunks of raw fish (shashimi).

You just have to determine you are going to do it and keep doing it until you enjoy it. As others have recommended, start with the non-seafood rolls. If you need to practice in the privacy of your home, a lot of grocery stores now have good, fresh sushi.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Purelife304 wrote:Martini's.

Seriously. The first few times I had sushi was after 2-3 Sapphire dry up.

Now I really like it, no booze needed.

:beer

You beat me to it. When my wife and I were dating she wanted sushi/sashimi from time to time. I drank a lot of Kirin and saki bombs :). Now, I don't mind it.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

neurosphere wrote:It is my understanding that shrimp is always cooked (if it's red it's cooked, raw shrimp is pale grey).
Both statements here are incorrect. Its true that you're not going to find raw shrimp being served at the sushi counter in Wegmans, but its very common to find raw shrimp being served in high end sushi restaurants. And while the variety of shrimp that most Americans are familiar with are grey when raw, there are varieties that are pink or red when raw.

For example, the variety of shrimp shown in these pictures, known in Japanese as amaebi, is in fact raw:

http://i0.wp.com/www.sushifaq.com/wp-co ... =300%2C225

http://www.thedeliciouslife.com/wp-cont ... ma-ebi.jpg
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

If you don't like seafood, sushi really isn't for you. Yes, you can cheat and just eat vegetable rolls.

But almost all sushi restaurants offer non-sushi entrees like teriyaki chicken. Why not just join your fellow engineers and order that instead?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

California rolls and vegetarian rolls are the answer if they don't serve yakisoba (meat/chicken/noodle), udon (noodle soup), tonkatsu (fried breaded pork cutlet) or teriyaki.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
pointyhead

Post by pointyhead »

My recommendation is obviously not to "skimp" on sushi and don't start with grocery store sushi. In my opinion, if you are going to try sushi you should go to a quality sushi resturaunt with chefs that are skilled. Sushi, like beef, can vary significantly in quality ie "pink slime" ground beef vs. a quality tenderloin steak. Also, Sushi is much more than just raw fish and much time is spent in learning to prepare the rice. The quality of the rice is important. I never liked sushi UNTIL I tried quality sushi. Good luck!

PH
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

As others have mentioned, start with cooked or veggie rolls. Those are pretty neutral as far as taste and texture goes. My wife usually looks for chicken teriyaki rolls, but not all places have them. The other option (a delicious and unhealthy option) is to go for the tempura rolls; battered and deep-fried should be easy to get used to. 8-)
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

John3754 wrote:…, but its very common to find raw shrimp being served in high end sushi restaurants.
Yep. The chef puts the live shrimp in front of you. As it starts to crawl away, Wack!, and the shell-less tail is presented to you on the blade of the knife while the rest of shrimp continues crawling away. While you are enjoying its tail, the shrimp making its getaway is deftly scooped up and fried for you much like a soft-shelled crab.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

How do you feel about sushi that only contains vegetables? They're just like a little crunchy salad with rice around them. I like it. And there is also sushi made with COOKED fish. As far as the socializing goes, you can order these and eat along with everyone else. I forget the names but every sushi restaurant I've ever gone to has offered them; just tell the waiter you don't like raw fish, they will cater to your request.

I neither love nor hate sushi. I did grow up with the idea that raw oysters and clams are good, so that was a big step in the sushi direction. It is strange how food customs change--quite possibly evidence-based, but strange. But when I was a kid, the dogma was that undercooked pork was dangerous (trichinosis), raw fish was not even thinkable ("parasites,") raw eggs were very healthy and a proper part of any milkshake, and raw ground beef ("tartar steak") was a great thing to eat on a hot summer evening. Now, pork should be pink and moist in the center, sushi is great, eggs need to be cooked until the yolk is like a hard-boiled egg, and you practically have to sign a waver if you want a rare steak.

It occurs to me that tartar steak tastes better with plenty of onion and Worcestershire sauce, and maybe the sushi will go better for you if you use the ginger and wasabi.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Also some people who don't like fish do eat tuna which has a different taste. A spicy tuna roll might be an option in that case.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
island

Post by island »

Bfwolf wrote:If you don't like seafood, sushi really isn't for you. Yes, you can cheat and just eat vegetable rolls.

But almost all sushi restaurants offer non-sushi entrees like teriyaki chicken. Why not just join your fellow engineers and order that instead?
+ 1
Many Bogleheads say life is too short to stay in a job or career you hate. Well I also think life is too short to eat food I hate and take in those calories just to fit in at lunch with coworkers. If you find seafood revolting, I'm sure you could find something else on the menu. And if you want to toe in, California rolls are pretty benign to start with.
island

Post by island »

livesoft wrote:
John3754 wrote:…, but its very common to find raw shrimp being served in high end sushi restaurants.
Yep. The chef puts the live shrimp in front of you. As it starts to crawl away, Wack!, and the shell-less tail is presented to you on the blade of the knife while the rest of shrimp continues crawling away. While you are enjoying its tail, the shrimp making its getaway is deftly scooped up and fried for you much like a soft-shelled crab.
Ahhh, I don't think you're helping livenaughty. :twisted:
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Nope... I'm in your boat.. raw monkey brains... I don't like cooked fish so no no no to raw fish. If you smoke it (the fish) just right I can handle that in small portions. So why bother, you know you wont like it and from what I hear it can get pretty expensive at some places.

I suppose we all have things we just dont like. DW wont eat coleslaw or potato salad (non German types). My youngest son hates tomato sauce and wont eat something like spaghetti with tomato sauce on it. But he will eat pizza and catchup all day long. :oops:

I'm Not a big fan of liver either.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

There is a big difference in the flavor of cooked fish and raw fish.

I am in the "don't eat cooked fish" camp, but do really enjoy sushi.
RobInCT

Post by RobInCT »

I didn't like sushi until I was taken to a really fancy sushi restaurant in connection with a work event in my mid-20s. I was terrified because I was very junior at the time, and clients were involved, so not eating it was not going to be an option. It turns out that really, really good (read: expensive) sushi tastes much better than grocery store sushi. It also comes pre-spiced with exactly the right amount of wasabi already mixed in to properly compliment the fish, which helped me appreciate it much more.

My advice: start with the really good stuff.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Take a trip to Japan. The quality of the sushi, sashimi, and food in general, is incredible. We can't eat sushi here in the US. Even places that are supposedly great are terrible to our traveled tastes. But then again, the Tex-Mex in Tokyo is sub-par.

You mention the smell of fish. You can go to the world's largest fish market in Tokyo. Guess what? The fish is so fresh and well maintained that even in the summer there's no smell. If it smells, it's not fresh, and there's a world of difference between fresh and not. Also, while sushi in the US is not great, I would imagine what your local grocery store makes is even nastier.

Try salmon or tuna. Both taste fantastic raw. Eel is fantastic. It's usually broiled with a bbq like sauce. You probably want to avoid cuttlefish as it's very chewy.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I don't like it and I don't try to learn to like things that I just don't like. Life is full of good stuff; why waste time trying to learn to like bad stuff?
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
John3754

Post by John3754 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:I don't like it and I don't try to learn to like things that I just don't like. Life is full of good stuff; why waste time trying to learn to like bad stuff?
If I lived my life like this there would be a lot of things that now give me great pleasure that I'd be missing out on b/c I didn't take the time to learn to appreciate or acquire a taste for them. Not liking something the first time you try it does not mean that it is "bad stuff", and sometimes in order to grow in life we need to challenge ourselves.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

John3754 wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:I don't like it and I don't try to learn to like things that I just don't like. Life is full of good stuff; why waste time trying to learn to like bad stuff?
If I lived my life like this there would be a lot of things that now give me great pleasure that I'd be missing out on b/c I didn't take the time to learn to appreciate or acquire a taste for them. Not liking something the first time you try it does not mean that it is "bad stuff", and sometimes in order to grow in life we need to challenge ourselves.
Whatever works for you. As for me, I just move on when I discover something I don't like. Too many good things waiting to be discovered to waste time trying to learn to like something you don't like.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

mhc wrote:You just have to determine you are going to do it and keep doing it until you enjoy it.
This quote would make a great forum signature. It's possible that, instead of disliking seafood, you're actually a seafood snob with a great ability to detect when seafood is not perfectly fresh, and you've associated this with "not liking seafood". I know someone like this.
mr_scaramanga wrote:This may seem a bit ridiculous, but I think there is a real career benefit to me if I learn to like it. For some reason, it seems that many of the young engineers really like sushi and go out frequently for it. It almost sets me apart from other groups of engineers to not go out and eat sushi with them.
This is not ridiculous at all. You are wise to recognize the career benefit to be had. It positions you as a team player, and opens up opportunities for social bonding. Lucky for you these guys don't go out frequently for monkey brains :D

You can use tuna to transition from cooked to raw. Non-sushi cooked tuna is generally served rare anyway, so if you can put back a tuna steak, you're halfway there.

Also, try eel. Sounds gross, tastes awesome, is served cooked, and is generally slathered in thick sweet sauce anyway.

I loved sushi from the moment I first had it. However, there were some preparations I couldn't stomach, such as sea urchin. To be clear, the part of the sea urchin that is prepared as sushi is the gonads. After a few tries, sea urchin is now my hands-down favorite.

BTW, CatalinaOP.com is an awesome source for extremely fresh overnighted sushi-grade fish. Only at fancy and expensive sushi restaurants have I had comparable fish. Our go-to dinner party idea is ordering some fish online, getting the side dishes and garnishes at an Asian supermarket, laying everything out, and having an informal make-your-own-sushi party.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Just choose the strange fusion-type sushi that don't really taste like "real" sushi. Smoked salmon & Cream Cheese sushi, for instance. I've seen plenty of those. And I'm pretty sure the Japanese don't use cream cheese in their sushi. Oshinko rolls are nice - Japanese pickles. There's a lot of vegetarian sushi options stuffed with avocado and pickles. I have many friends who just eat vegetarian sushi rolls.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure why it would not be OK for you to just pick out what you like. Why does everyone have to eat the same cuisine? If it's a sit-down place, you could try non-sushi type Japanese food. Soba noodles, udon. Japanese noodles served cold is pretty awesome.

The thing you are really missing is sashimi :) Raw, fresh fish. Yummy. But as Dave Ramsey would say, baby steps.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
John3754 wrote:
Whatever works for you. As for me, I just move on when I discover something I don't like. Too many good things waiting to be discovered to waste time trying to learn to like something you don't like.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Live your life, not your friend's. If you don't enjoy eating sushi don't eat it.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I tried sushi one time and they didn't even cook it! :happy
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
John3754 wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
+1
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
John3754 wrote:
Indeed to each their own, but just as an example, how many people like beer the first time they try it? I happen to love beer of all kinds but certainly didn't the first time I tried them. Like most people, I suspect, I had to acquire an appreciation for beer, and I'm glad that I "wasted time" doing it.

Do you like beer? If so, did you like it the first time you tried it?
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

Try California rolls, or anything with the word Tempura in it (fried). My 6 yr old like edamame, California rolls, and udon noodles. Start there. If even that is a problem, look at the appetizers. Many are cooked and usually includes soup and salad.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

John3754 wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
John3754 wrote:
Indeed to each their own, but just as an example, how many people like beer the first time they try it? I happen to love beer of all kinds but certainly didn't the first time I tried them. Like most people, I suspect, I had to acquire an appreciation for beer, and I'm glad that I "wasted time" doing it.

No I don't like beer. And no, I didn't like it when I tried it, so I quit drinking it.
Johno

Post by Johno »

I love sushi, most kinds anyway. I also like cooked shrimp and scallops OK, and canned tuna however that counts, but I'm not a big fan of cooked seafood otherwise. I worked in Japan for awhile where you also don't *have* to eat sushi, but you're likely to come across it. It's not the staple food though and only became really common after widespread use of refrigeration, after Japan became a rich country after WWII. Anyway I don't recall ever having disliked sushi. I usually only eat it though at a local Japanese owned supermarket food court. You can get really sick from improperly prepared raw food, needless to say. From my experience working in Japan and with Japanese, if there was ever such a problem at that place word would travel very fast among Japanese and you wouldn't see them there. I eat it in upscale places in NY occasionally too, but generally skip it in non-Japanese run establishments.

I can't stand a lot of vegetables: asparagus, now *that's* revolting, to me. There's no arguing taste.
sci fi

Post by sci fi »

There are many different types of sushi. Perhaps if there is a sushi bar your colleagues frequent, you can find something you like that doesn't have seafood. Also, bear in mind that even among those who love sushi, everyone has dishes they don't enjoy. I don't know if you've tried chicken katsu, but it's Japanese style fried chicken. Many places serve chicken katsu sushi or teriyaki chicken sushi. Cucumber or avocado sushi is very simple and delicious. So, maybe finding something you like ahead of time will help. You can possibly even try eating musubi which is just plain rice balls. I don't think you can ever force yourself to enjoy a food, it just has to happen naturally. Maybe you can also order something familiar to your palette like a coke or a sprite.
Last edited by sci fi on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Also, whatever you, do NOT consider a cheap buffet style sushi as typical sushi. There's a big difference between the quality of cut between the cheap bargain stuff and the good stuff served at real sushi restaurants.
2b2

Post by 2b2 »

Does anyone apply the "Sushi Therapy Technique" to books?
What I mean is, if you start reading a book and discover that you don't really like it do you keep reading it until you DO like it?

2b2
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I like all nigiri sushi along with raw oysters on the half shell. And in Hawaii, I like poke ("po-kay").
I'm not sure there's any advantage to training other folks to eat these things. It would just leave less for me...
Attempted new signature...
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I was you. My father has various seafood allergies and I was raised in an environment entirely free of seafood. No fish, no shellfish, no lobster, no crab, no oysters, no mussels. To this day, I dislike most seafood. Even the smell of fish and other kinds of seafood makes me a little sick. But I've learned to like some sushi, by asking people pretty much the exact same question you did.

Start with salmon rolls, which are pretty mild and don't really taste "fishy." Tuna rolls are also something of an entry-level sushi, though I find them "fishier" than salmon rolls and don't like them as much. As others have mentioned, cucumber rolls and avocado rolls can pad out your dinner. Your meal could easily be mostly the latter, with just a few fish pieces to round things out.

Hand rolls ("temaki"), which include some fish within a cone of seaweed that also contains rice and other ingredients, are also good because the other tastes tend to dilute the taste of the fish.

You can also try getting one or two pieces each of different kinds of sushi. That way, if you choke one down and don't like it, you don't have another dozen of the same thing to get through. Maybe you'll like the next one better.

I dislike California rolls. They're made with crab or imitation crab that I've never quite been able to stomach.

Please note that you asked about sushi, so that's what I'm addressing. Some people equate sushi and Japanese food, which is like equating burgers and American food or pizza and Italian food. I love chicken teriyaki and could have it every day, but it took work for me to get comfortable with sushi.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Wasami, Horseradish, pepperocci, and catsup. :mrgreen:
A dash or soy. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Of course, there is always the tactic of being a Leader. You decide where everyone is going to go to lunch next time. YOU start the new lunch routine. YOU start a new food fad.

Where would you get all your colleagues to go to lunch?
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

I like most all forms of sushi, but for someone who is reluctant to try it, I generally recommend starting with some good quality tuna sashimi. The taste is mild, and in some ways reminds be of very rare beef. It has a fairly firm texture, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you find that you like tuna sashimi you'll be able to join your friends since most any good sushi place will have tuna sashimi.
Dave
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

mr_scaramanga wrote:This may seem a bit ridiculous, but I think there is a real career benefit to me if I learn to like it. For some reason, it seems that many of the young engineers really like sushi and go out frequently for it. It almost sets me apart from other groups of engineers to not go out and eat sushi with them.
I think you're mistaken that participating requires you to actually eat much sushi. There are lots of people who don't eat lots of things for lots of reasons. You can almost certainly observer vegetarian, or Jewish, or Muslim, or teetotaler, or lactose intolerant co-workers who participate while declining certain foods. Granted not everybody does it gracefully but many of them do.

You can also participate by providing colleagues with food of your own choosing. Something like kimchi, Limburger, blood pudding or pickled ginger should do it.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
You can also participate by providing colleagues with food of your own choosing. Something like kimchi, Limburger, blood pudding or pickled ginger should do it.
Mmmmm, limburger on pumpernickel. But I'd starve if all there was to eat was sushi.

As a vegetarian, I can almost always find something I can eat at any restaurant. Of course, a steakhouse or sushi place, I'm out of luck. Somehow even the vegetarian sushi just tastes wrong.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I hate the Idea of shellfish, shrimp, molluscs, etc. people always tell me i should try it because it is delicious, but i have no desire to do so. It is always an awkward conversation, sometimes i wish i had just said i was allergic to it instead of that i just don't want to eat it. So that is my suggestion to the op: sorry, no sushi for me, allergic to it, thanks anyway. Otherwise people will continue to "come on,try a bite" as the shove the stinky stuff at your face.

Mike
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

From further down below:
No. Didn't like it then. 55 years later still don't like it. Commented the other night that my wife's glass of beer contained more than I had consumed in my entire life.

Wine, however, is a different matter.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

obgraham wrote:From further down below:
No. Didn't like it then. 55 years later still don't like it. Commented the other night that my wife's glass of beer contained more than I had consumed in my entire life.

Wine, however, is a different matter.
It was just an example, there are a lot of things that people don't like the first time they try them but once they develop a taste for them it brings them great pleasure.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

mhalley wrote:I hate the Idea of shellfish, shrimp, molluscs, etc. people always tell me i should try it because it is delicious
I've tried them. They're not.

Next time they ask, you could always say that you tried some recently and didn't care for them.
billern

Post by billern »

Some people have an aversion to the seaweed used in the rolls. If that is a problem for you, there are certain types of roles/etc that use less seaweed.

Try California rolls. Those are pretty safe but tasty. If you have an aversion to seafood, try vegetarian sushi.

If you don't like that, there are a number of very good things served as Japanese restaurants that are not seafood related. So you can order something else when you go out to lunch with your co-workers. They aren't going to care what you order.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

I'm a vegetarian. A good sushi restaurant should have some good vegetarian options.

Tell your co-workers you have a severe seafood allergy and stick with the veggie options if you're so inclined.