Help! I can't afford to eat on my South Beach vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dsivi

Help! I can't afford to eat on my South Beach vacation

Post by dsivi »

I arrived at Miami Beach, FL this past Saturday with some friends for a week-long vacation. We are staying in South Beach at the W hotel. This is my first trip to South Beach and I only booked because I found such a great deal on hotel rates.

The weather is nice, but after just two days I am close to going over my meal budget. The price of food in restaurants is shocking to us. I don't spend lavishly on my vacations. I never order room service and always try and look around for restaurants that offer a good deal. The problem is that EVERY restaurant in South Beach is insanely priced. Last night we went to an Italian restaurant. I got an appetizer, a salad, a bowl of pasta, soda, and a dessert. It ended up costing $70 a person. It's making me ill almost. It's making it hard to enjoy my vacation.

I know I'm not going to starve. There is a McDonald's two blocks away and if I had to, I suppose I could eat the rest of my meals there. I knew Miami Beach was expensive, but I couldn't imagine how much meals cost. I can't even find buffets. A trick I do at other vacation spots is to load up at a big breakfast buffet and then skip lunch. I can't do that here - even breakfasts are expensive.

Is anyone here familiar with South Beach and knows where you can get a good meal at a reasonable price at a sit-down restaurant?

BTW, if anyone wants to feel poor, come to South Beach. The number of ultra-luxury cars you see on the road is shocking. You'll walk by Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. It just is blowing my mind because I've never seen cars like that out in the open. It's fun at first, but after a while it's becoming painful. It's just making me shake my head and feel poor. Thanks
AviN

Re: Help! I can't afford to eat on my South Beach vacation

Post by AviN »

Look on Yelp for $$ (moderately priced) restaurants, perhaps?

Avi
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hmm, sounds like inflation is starting to kick in big time.
Try finding a Cuban place?
Attempted new signature...
jchris

Post by jchris »

Yes I once accidentally bought a drink at the Hotel Delano pool bar and it cost $18 for a gin & tonic in a disposable plastic cup. Nice hotel though.
LowER

Post by LowER »

That's why it's called the South Beach Diet. :oops:
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Scour the hotel hallways for leftovers - people toss out uneaten room service, big time!
Brings flask(s) on you. You can consume calories and cut way back on alcohol costs.
Attend timeshare hocking - get free lunch.

etc

;)

Sounds like a horrible vacation to me. All you do is spend money. Wake up, what no free breakfast? Oh yeah, the fancy hotels won't provide free food or drinks. Then before you're done with breakfast, talk begins about where to eat for lunch, perhaps after shopping. Same for dinner/drinks later.

meh

We strive for suites with mini-kitchens now. The $ saved on food for even a 2-3 night trip is HUGE.

Its South Beach - go on a starvation diet ;)

I mean, enjoy!
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Here is the Yelp connection for reasonable places on/near South Beach
I forget where I ate in December when were by South Beach.
It was moderate for lunch (about $20 per person)
dinner we had pizza.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Re ... ceRange2.2
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

This is why I do my beach vacations on the Redneck Riviera, where you can rent a condo with a kitchen, park your late model minivan out front and shop for food at Wal-Mart. One year, we really splurged and rented a condo with a covered parking spot and shopped at Publix.

I know, crazy.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

PM Taylor and take his suggestions!!!
Attempted new signature...
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

Enjoy life. If enjoying life is spending as little as possible, then you picked the wrong place to vacation. Pick differently next year. Until then, appreciate the experience and don't pay attention to the bills otherwise you'll just waste your vacation (and probably really annoy your friends)
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

MN Finance wrote:Enjoy life. If enjoying life is spending as little as possible, then you picked the wrong place to vacation. Pick differently next year. Until then, appreciate the experience and don't pay attention to the bills otherwise you'll just waste your vacation (and probably really annoy your friends)
Meh. No sense in wasting $70 on a mediocre dinner. Just do a little bit of research, and get good food for half the price or less. Just because it's vacation doesn't mean you should waste your hard earned money.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Good time to learn about Fixed Index and Variable Annuities. :beer
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

One word:

Publix
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Sometimes we eat big lunches on vacation when meals are cheaper, but that's harder to do when you are with a group who thinks differently about this than you do. Appetizer, salad, pasta, drink, and dessert is a lot of food; there are plenty of restaurants in my HCOL area that would come close to $70/person. Can you eat an appetizer or salad plus main, drink tap water, skip the dessert, and eat some fruit back at the hotel if that's not enough food?
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Swampy wrote:One word:

Publix
This will work if OP's friends also want to save on their meals.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curiouskitty

Post by curiouskitty »

La Sandwicherie is open ridiculously late and they make delicious Brie sandwiches for like $7-8 as well as smoothies.

Flanigans is a local chain that does cheap and reliable seafood, burgers, etc.

Cuban food is also a good idea (although not so much on Miami Beach)

Also consider other casual foods like Mexican, pizza, etc. instead of super fancy overpriced restaurants
Toons

Post by Toons »

Check Out Number 9 on the list @ TripAdvisor ,the price looks right. :happy

El Mago de las Fritas

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants- ... orida.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Learn about TimeShares and Condos. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
derosa

Post by derosa »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

When we've gone to South Florida we've stayed 15 minutes inland, with a rental car, typically for a very cheap price. This allows us to visit places like South Beach without being compelled to stay there for all our meals. In Miami we basically try as many different Latin places as we can. Not healthy, but addictive, and usually very reasonable to cheap.

Parking at the W is probably outrageous, but if all of your friends split the costs, along with a cheap rental car, you may end up saving a lot of money on your meals. More importantly, you'll get to each better food! Cuban! Venezeuelan! Brazilian! instead of whatever frou frou places inhabit South Beach.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

dsivi wrote:I arrived at Miami Beach, FL this past Saturday with some friends for a week-long vacation. We are staying in South Beach at the W hotel. This is my first trip to South Beach and I only booked because I found such a great deal on hotel rates.

The weather is nice, but after just two days I am close to going over my meal budget. The price of food in restaurants is shocking to us. I don't spend lavishly on my vacations. I never order room service and always try and look around for restaurants that offer a good deal. The problem is that EVERY restaurant in South Beach is insanely priced. Last night we went to an Italian restaurant. I got an appetizer, a salad, a bowl of pasta, soda, and a dessert. It ended up costing $70 a person. It's making me ill almost. It's making it hard to enjoy my vacation.

I know I'm not going to starve. There is a McDonald's two blocks away and if I had to, I suppose I could eat the rest of my meals there. I knew Miami Beach was expensive, but I couldn't imagine how much meals cost. I can't even find buffets. A trick I do at other vacation spots is to load up at a big breakfast buffet and then skip lunch. I can't do that here - even breakfasts are expensive.

Is anyone here familiar with South Beach and knows where you can get a good meal at a reasonable price at a sit-down restaurant?

BTW, if anyone wants to feel poor, come to South Beach. The number of ultra-luxury cars you see on the road is shocking. You'll walk by Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. It just is blowing my mind because I've never seen cars like that out in the open. It's fun at first, but after a while it's becoming painful. It's just making me shake my head and feel poor. Thanks

I'm just curious, are you under a strict budget, or do you not like to spend $?

I'm not ashamed to say that my SO and I spend quite a bit of money on food and booze. However every city has whole in the wall places, and ethnic parts of town that should be suited for locals. A lot of times it's also amazing food. Think pizza in NYC, Po boys in New Orleans, beef sandwich in chicago.

I'd be shocked if you can't find some good food trucks serving fresh Mexican or Cuban food.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Lynette wrote:When one goes to Europe, Rick Steves always advises to have a picnic lunch. I'm not really interested in food - don't like cooking. I've found that one can usually find a small (well Europe) supermarket. Then I stack up on fruit, yoghurt, crackers, cheese and some wine? Or join me - I'll be in Miami tomorrow and then on to Cuba - can't wait to get out of the frigid Midwest.
Me too. My heart skips a beat when I see a Carrefour. I often find foreign supermarkets more intriguing than the official sights.

OP, just go to the supermarket, stock up at the deli section. Nothing wrong with McDonald's, btw, when on the road.
Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts »

Walk on up Collins to 20th Ave. Take a left, there is a little grocery down on the left down about a block. At noon they have a huge Cuban food smorgasbord. Total cost 6 or 7 bucks. Buy a malta to drink with it. Don't eat at the tourist places on South Beach.

Take the bus or a cab or whatever and go up to north Beach. Lots of awesome, cuban, dominican, brazilian, etc etc food at great prices. If you eat at the places the rich tourists eat at they will treat you and charge you like one.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

When in Rome . . . .
Google the nearest Pollo Tropical (pronounced "poyo tro-pee-cal" - accent last syllable)
Delicious fast Cuban food on a budget. Don't skimp on the plantains!
Taylor Larimore

Oliver's Bistro on South Miami Beach

Post by Taylor Larimore »

A trick I do at other vacation spots is to load up at a big breakfast buffet and then skip lunch. I can't do that here - even breakfasts are expensive.
dsivi:

Skip Smith and Wollensky. This is their Menu. :oops:

Oliver's Bistro at 959 West Avenue is a good place for a big breakfast with reasonable prices (for South Beach).

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Toons

Post by Toons »

"Skip Smith and Wollensky. This is their Menu. :oops: "

:thumbsup
:oops: :oops:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
anonforthis

Post by anonforthis »

You and I are alike. I just don't like to spend money even when I have millions or hundred millions. I would feel foolish too spending $70 on something that I can cook at home. Grocery stores or Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's are your best bet for places like that.
FredL

Post by FredL »

Go to supermarket or even 7-11 to buy ready made food, or even canned food.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

For buffet, I recommend the one at Whole Foods. There is at least two nearby.

In most Whole Foods stores in most cities, they have a very good buffet, and the price is $7-8 per pound.
JakeFL

Post by JakeFL »

You have found out that South Beach is all priced for the tourist trade. You have received some great suggestions and I'll toss in two more.
Get off South Beach and head south to Coral Gables. It is not very far away and they have some outstanding restaurants in the downtown area.
Coconut Grove has some great restaurants too. It is near Coral Gables. If those don't work, as someone else suggested go to Publix. I had a Publix sub for lunch today and it was very good.

Enjoy South Beach and your vacation.
mauimix

Post by mauimix »

I've stayed at the W many times. I have the staff clean out the minibar and I use the refrigerator. I go to the gourmet food store on Alton, which is at the end of Lincoln Road (the opposite end from where you are) and stock up. David's, a Cuban restaurant, is off Lincoln, to the north, and is around 5th Street (check that address). It's my favorite restaurant in South Beach, inexpensive, great mojitos. There was a Peruvian place -- very cheap -- on Washington Ave., near Lincoln. There is another very cheap Cuban restaurant -- been there forev :moneybag er -- which is to the south of you; can't remember the name, but, if you ask just about anybody local, they'll know. Also, the News Cafe on Ocean Drive, and its sister restaurant on Lincoln Road (can't remember the name...the W staff will know), are very popular, inexpensive, and the food is good.
You have to go where the locals go...don't eat in the hotel restaurants.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

Whether South Beach or anywhere else on travel, my philosphy is to head to where the locals eat.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

While I've definitely got a frugal streak that makes spending painful sometimes, I try to worry about that beforehand and then enjoy myself in the moment. If you go to a restaurant, don't cheap out on the tip. If you go to South Beach, don't starve yourself. The time to worry about that is before and after the trip. No sense in ruining the trip over it. Try these maybe:

Big Pink Diner, Pizza Rustica, 5 Guys Burgers, 11th Street Diner
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g3 ... orida.html

And budget more for your next trip (thus going on fewer trips.) Might as well enjoy the ones you go on.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
dolphinsaremammals

Re: Oliver's Bistro on South Miami Beach

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Skip Smith and Wollensky. This is their Menu. :oops:
If the split pea soup comes with bread, I'm good :D

One thing about the snow, I've been ordering from peapod (and giving the delivery guys a giant tip), and so have discovered that my everything from the supermarket spending is $100 a week. I just can't fathom spending nearly that much on one meal.

I second the suggestions to look for bodegas and the like, or a supermarket.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

If you have a car, drive over to Key Biscayne. There's a good Cuban place on the right just after you get off the bridge, not expensive.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/oasis-cafe-key- ... Cuban+Food
For breakfast, try the Original Pancake House, Miami, not fancy, but a good breakfast. Here's a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+O ... 1681c9d568
There are a bunch of more reasonably priced restaurants in the Coconut Grove area. Yelp has a good listing:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Be ... iami%2C+FL
South Beach is very expensive compared to the rest of Miami.
gatorman
replyguy

Post by replyguy »

" I got an appetizer, a salad, a bowl of pasta, soda, and a dessert."

What I do if the restaurant turns out to be more then I'm willing to pay- Was there a bread basket on the table? Eat that as the appetizer,
only have the salad if it comes with the pasta, drink water and get a candy bar or piece of fruit later from a 7-11.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

You need to move to a HCOL area. Then when you go on vacation some place nice, things don't seem very expensive.
midareff

Post by midareff »

If you want Buffets there is Jumbo Buffet on Biscayne Boulevard and about 132 Street which is lower quality Chinese style and Ginza near 163 street and Biscayne Boulevard, which is excellent with a mammoth Sushi bar and custom cook station. Lunch will run you $10 at Jumbo and $12 at Ginza, dinners are a few dollars more. There is a Dominoes' at 67 street and Collins and a Pizza Hut the next block.

Yes, South Beach eatery's are extremely expensive and rarely worth the cost. Joe's Stone Crab is more expensive than that and should be experienced at least once in a lifetime if not annually.

There's Prima Pasta on 71 street just off Alton (the southbound to Collins North) on the beach that has a before 6PM special menu. If you avoid alcohol you can get a top tier Italian dinner and a salad for under $20. Prices double and some after 6PM.

There's a couple.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

midareff wrote: Yes, South Beach eatery's are extremely expensive and rarely worth the cost. Joe's Stone Crab is more expensive than that and should be experienced at least once in a lifetime if not annually.
+1 Joe's is worth the money. Verrrry pricey, but worth it. I go with annually.
gatorman
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

dsivi wrote:The weather is nice, but after just two days I am close to going over my meal budget. The price of food in restaurants is shocking to us.
Your vacation isn't all about eating, is it? Hit the local grocery store and plan on doing your lesser meals in the room. Big savings which will then leave you enough for lavish dinners which is what vacationing is about.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

This feel par for the course when you vacation with friends that have different money habits than you. When my wife and I vacation with friends, we consciously decide to go with whatever the path of least resistance is in terms of sharing meals and expenses. When we can't afford to do so for whatever reason, we decline to take the trip and go somewhere on our own.

I'd say just enjoy yourself this time, don't think too much about the money, and next time plan better beforehand.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We were in South Beach for a bachelor party a few months ago. One of the best meals we had was at Maoz on Washington Ave. This is a falafel joint that is very popular and very cheap (they have locations in NYC and Paris also that I've been to).
jdb

Post by jdb »

Very funny thread. Love the comments. I have lived in Miami area for almost 4 decades, work downtown, live in Coral Gables, wife and I have small oceanfront pied a terre in North Beach, wife was born and raised here, so consider ourselves locals, but can count on one hand (with fingers to spare) the number of times each year we go South of Lincoln Road, a/k/a South Beach for dining. It's designed for tourists, with prices to match, and good luck finding parking unless use expensive valet. Agree with other comments, especially North Beach area around 70th and Collins, lots of great inexpensive restaurants. Enjoy your visit.
Last edited by jdb on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind »

I don't understand, OP. Were there no prices on the menu? Was someone in your party ordering copious alcoholic beverages and you didn't suggest they be put on a separate tab? It would seem to me that once you saw that the prices were more than you expected/were comfortable with, you buy an appetizer (maybe) and entree and head to subway afterwards if you are still hungry. I'm sure there were plenty of frozen yogurt places you could have suggested in lieu of dessert at the restaurant.
Last edited by 2stepsbehind on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I am surprised that the OP implied that there is no McDonalds in South Beach.

When vacationing, we like to eat sea foods regardless of price. We sometimes have dinners at high-end formal restaurants, some times at fast food stores. There is no need to have formal expensive dinners every day.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Try having a cup of tea for two and 2 small biscotti on a patio in Venice - $75 US dollars, this was in mid 2006 and I'm sure it is more costly today. Sounds like you got a bargain for an appetizer, salad, plate of pasta, beverage and dessert. What do you expect to spend in fancy locale with Ferraris and Rolls-Royce/Bentleys parked outside? I can't blame the restaurants they price according to the clienteles wallet. Those wallets are pretty big.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Toons

Post by Toons »

"Try having a cup of tea for two and 2 small biscotti on a patio in Venice - $75 US dollars, "

:oops: :oops: :oops:
My head hurts :happy
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

derosa wrote:[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
LOL! Agree...

Reminds me of acquaintances of mine that buy the BMW or Benz and then a year or two later are complaining about the maintenance and support costs. Forgot that buying a car is more than just a down payment and driving it home.
Taking a vacation to one of the most expensive party/beach areas in the US and not knowing food and entertainment costs... same situation. At this point suck it up, enjoy the vacation, do what you can to lower the food costs, and pay for it later. If you keep this mindset the whole week, might as well fly home now. I'd rather enjoy the trip than fret over food costs.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

gatorman wrote:
midareff wrote: Yes, South Beach eatery's are extremely expensive and rarely worth the cost. Joe's Stone Crab is more expensive than that and should be experienced at least once in a lifetime if not annually.
+1 Joe's is worth the money. Verrrry pricey, but worth it. I go with annually.
gatorman
HEY! We have our annual South Florida Chapter Boglehead meeting place!!
As soon as our fearless leader, clevername, is finished with tax season, he can set it up at Joe's Stone Crab!!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.