What is your favorite consumer product?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
iceport

Re: What is your favorite consumer product?

Post by iceport »

Audiophiles might sneer, but this 20-year-old stereo system has been one of my most satisfying consumer purchases:

NAD 1600 preamp/tuner
NAD 2400THX amplifier
NAD 5000 cd player (replaced with NAD C 545BEE 3 yrs. ago)
Paradigm 9se-Mk3 speakers
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Woodshop2300

Post by Woodshop2300 »

pasta
SC Hoosier

Post by SC Hoosier »

Cutco can opener. It's hard to find one that doesn't fall apart these days and Cutco's is worth the money. Buy one and enjoy it for life.

Edit: Also Lucas Fuel Treatment and Oil Stabilizer. Great stuff. Makes my baby purr.
Last edited by SC Hoosier on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live in No Payment Land. It is wonderful, and I'd love for you to live here too.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Books.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Just too many to list.

My 9ft2 Schimmel grand piano .
My 8ft harpsichord .
The ton of home theater equipment I own, just too many products to list :)
My mansion . Some bogleheads will argue a home, is not a consumer product, but I disagree.
hudson

Post by hudson »

interplanetjanet wrote:
boroc7 wrote:Fujifilm X100T, hands down--the new Leica.
Wilson Trap Doors.
with Wilson, it's outta sight!
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

hudson wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:
boroc7 wrote:Fujifilm X100T, hands down--the new Leica.
Wilson Trap Doors.
with Wilson, it's outta sight!
:D :D :D :D :D
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Saucony running and hiking foot wear
I'm also a big fan of Saucony running shoes.

As for pb, I vote for Skippy Natural, creamy not chunky.
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese. I go through phases, but that's probably my current favorite.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
investor1

Post by investor1 »

The internet.
Sportswhiz00

Post by Sportswhiz00 »

iPhone 6 plus and iPad mini
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

investor1 wrote:The internet.
+1 :happy
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Easy, my Breville Juicer.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
rikki

Post by rikki »

Felted wool slippers from Glerups (Denmark) purchased in Brattleboro Vermont; warmest slippers ever!
Specialized brand hybrid bike, still a dream to ride after 10 years
All-Clad soup pot
Alpina cross country skis and poles
Technivorm Moccamaster coffee maker
Marques de Caceres wines from Spain: fantastic red and white for $10 or so
Jotul wood stove
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife likes New Balance running shoes. When she heard that they were discontinuing her favorite model, she went online and found 42 pairs. Some remain, but they don't last forever even unused, so I guess she'll have to find some other model.

I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh »

Pack of cigs....that's why I own shares of MO
LikeWise

Post by LikeWise »

At JC Penny for under $20, hard to beat…

Ktemene

Post by Ktemene »

Fitdesk: cost from $350 to $209. Great product: allows me to exercise 3+ hours a day while working on computer /watching movies. The motion of one’s legs does not interfere with work at all.I feel great and have lost lots of weight without really trying. The fitdesk was a wonderful discovery. Now on sale for $209 https://slickdeals.net/f/6618168-fitdes ... zon-209-00

Gravity Defier Shoes: cost 20%-50% higher than other running/walking shoes. http://gravitydefyer.com It sounds silly. I first saw them on the good old Skymall magazine that had terrifically funny produces. (I miss that website!) But the shoes do actually help make walks easier, and ease strain on knees, esp. walks when you are carrying something that weighs a lot Dress shoes look clunky. But the athletic shows look fine and really help.

Wheat Belly book and cost of implementation: $50 start up costs. I would never have read a book with this title had my highly awarded gynecologist not recommended it. Book is written by a cardiologist. In the last few years he has gone highly commercial. But don’t let that put you off. This diet was a life-changer for me: greatly reduced anxiety and depression (I have had treatment resistant major unipolar depression characterized by fatigue for decades. This diet has helped enormously. And as a side-effect, I have lost lots of weight on this diet. Your food costs may go up, and you should invest in some good equipment, blender etc. But if the effects came in a pill, I would happily pay $500 a month out of my own pocket for it.)

personal blenders : costs a lot for very good ones. But it makes breakfast so easy. FYI uncooked broccoli and kale etc.have very little taste. Add V8 and feel full for hours without feeling sleepy. Also great for smoothy deserts: almond milk + apple + unsweetened chocolate etc. Add ground chia seed (can be expensive, even when you ground your one), which expends in your stomach, and the food digestion is slowed down, you never feel tired after a meal.

Home grown sprouts: Cost for sprouters can be high. Also the seeds are not cheap. But you can invest in some canning jars and cheese cloth which works well. Sprout your own veggies: http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Sprouting-Seeds You will always have fresh veggies. Broccoli sprouts are esp. good because they have sulforaphane in a usable form (Google for broc sprouts & sulforaphane on medline etc.) Great for kids; and great way to get them to eat veggies.)
Toons

Post by Toons »

TomatoTomahto wrote:My wife likes New Balance running shoes. When she heard that they were discontinuing her favorite model, she went online and found 42 pairs. Some remain, but they don't last forever even unused, so I guess she'll have to find some other model.

+1
Thats Great :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

My new favorite is from Costco. It's Cottonelle Ultra Comfort Care. Soft, strong and nice wide sheets. I think it's the best bathroom tissue ever.
Even better, a bidet toilet seat. Anywhere from around $60 to $1600. Even those less than $100 at Amazon are worthwhile.
stoutglass

Post by stoutglass »

Amazon Fire TV - with prime/netflix - it's a boat anchor otherwise
Gladiator Garage Wall Systems
Vitamix Blender - could blend a subaru and clean up easy afterwards. Loud though - scares my toddler and my cat
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Listerine Gentle Gum Floss. It is made up of woven cloth and has made me really enjoy flossing. I love it so much I have an entire bucketload of them sitting on my table right now. In fact, I might just go floss right now.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Caduceus wrote:Listerine Gentle Gum Floss. It is made up of woven cloth and has made me really enjoy flossing. I love it so much I have an entire bucketload of them sitting on my table right now. In fact, I might just go floss right now.
+1 My favorite floss also.
fposte

Post by fposte »

rikki wrote: All-Clad soup pot
Oh, yeah. I've amortized the heck out of mine.

I'd probably have to say my now six-year-old iPod touch--for straight hours of use and life-changingness.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

+1 on the All-Clad. All of our Pots and Pans are All-Clad. They are expensive in the short run, but they will be the only Pots and Pans you will buy. So they are Cheap! We have a Pot Rack in our Kitchen to display them as they are beautiful as well !
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Ktemene wrote:FYI uncooked broccoli and kale etc.have very little taste.
I do think that depends on how your sense of taste is wired - I find raw broccoli (for that matter, all raw brassicas I've tried) to be intensely bitter. Even the taste in my mouth I get when cutting them up is bitter. I'm not picky about food in general, I really think this is a physical reaction - and one I wish I didn't have!

I'm pretty good at tolerating bitterness, I think, given how much food is bitter...but raw broccoli is just off the charts for me.
ScarletIris

Post by ScarletIris »

Welch's 100% Concord grape juice
Claussen dill pickles
Lindt Lindor truffles
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Le Creuset Dutch Oven
OneWorld111

Post by OneWorld111 »

watch, I don't know what I will be doing without it :o
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

The detachable shower head.
Ice Cream-all brands
Maxwell House coffee
Simply Orange Juice
Target's Market Pantry Pizza.
Zest Soap
Tide
Last edited by joe8d on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best, | Joe
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

energy2025 wrote:watch, I don't know what I will be doing without it :o
Interesting. I shed mine when I retired and have only had it back on a handful of times. Not wearing a watch is now one of my favorite things.
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

Farberware Classic Stainless Steel Yosemite 8-Cup Coffee Percolator.

A stovetop percolator. Coffee brewed just like grandma used to make. Coupled with Folgers or Maxwell House coffee. Pour it into a Zojirushi thermal carafe and you are good to go all morning.
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

black jack wrote:TiVo DVR
Kirkland Super Extra-Large Peanuts
Kirkland frozen pineapple chunks
Sandisk Sansa Clip MP3 player
Bought a can of those Peanuts ... OMG, their ridiculous. Best ever!
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:My wife likes New Balance running shoes. When she heard that they were discontinuing her favorite model, she went online and found 42 pairs. Some remain, but they don't last forever even unused, so I guess she'll have to find some other model.

hahahahaha.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

Condoms.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BW1985 wrote:

hahahahaha.
There are fewer pairs left now than when the picture was taken, and she tells me that by the time she runs Boston this year, she will be down to 2-3 pairs remaining. I think she might be a stealth Boglehead, because she keeps a log of the mileage on each pair :happy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

There are fewer pairs left now than when the picture was taken, and she tells me that by the time she runs Boston this year, she will be down to 2-3 pairs remaining. I think she might be a stealth Boglehead, because she keeps a log of the mileage on each pair :happy
If your wife runs out (pun) of New Balance it could be unbalancing (pun). She has two options:
1. Find her favorite shoes on Amazon.com (or another web marketplace) and buy enough for the next 20-30 years.
2. Start researching other shoes for suitability.

If you go with option-1 please post an updated picture.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
merrymonk19530

Post by merrymonk19530 »

WingsFan4Life wrote:Coffee and Beer! :sharebeer
What do you think of the coffee flavored beer?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Jos A. Bank Traveler Dress Shirts (nice shirts with no need to iron even when pulling these out of a suitcase).
Toons

Post by Toons »

Boulder Canyon Chips :happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

VictoriaF wrote:If your wife runs out (pun) of New Balance it could be unbalancing (pun). She has two options:
1. Find her favorite shoes on Amazon.com (or another web marketplace) and buy enough for the next 20-30 years.

Victoria
For better or worse, the original 42 pairs were what she found after pretty energetically searching online. The materials in the shoes have a lifespan independent of wear, similar to how car tires will degrade even if they're just sitting in a garage.

Since you're punning, there's probably a BH SPIA joke in there, because we paid ~$4200 (I think they cost roughly $100/pair) in return for a shoe annuity.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:If your wife runs out (pun) of New Balance it could be unbalancing (pun). She has two options:

Victoria
For better or worse, the original 42 pairs were what she found after pretty energetically searching online. The materials in the shoes have a lifespan independent of wear, similar to how car tires will degrade even if they're just sitting in a garage.

Since you're punning, there's probably a BH SPIA joke in there, because we paid ~$4200 (I think they cost roughly $100/pair) in return for a shoe annuity.
SPIAs rely on the mortality credits and in this case, unfortunately, the shoes themselves are mortal. But your wife has already scored high on the BH scale by selecting exactly 42 pairs of shoes.

Victoria
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

Bruce Jones surfboard (RIP, Bruce)

Vitamix Blender

Saracha Hot Sauce
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Guilty pleasures:
Ice cream: Haagen Daaz and Ben and Jerry
Girl Scout cookies: Samoas
Potato Chips: Krunchers or Cape Cod Kettle Chips
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Starbucks or Peet's Sumatra Roast
Costco Steaks
Chocolove 65% Rich Dark Chocolate Bars and Lindt chocolate truffles
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

The rule of thumb for retiring running shoes is every 400 miles.
So 42 pairs will propel her 16,800 miles or two thirds of the Earth's Circumference of 24,901 miles.
Purchasing 20 more shoes would complete the circumnavigation of the planet. :shock:
Last edited by Bustoff on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

$1200 Panasonic ST60 Plasma HDTV - amazing picture quality, now discontinued and very much missed

$200 Samsung Chromebook - lightweight, fast, and used much more often than the other Wintel i5 and i7 rigs in the the house

$99 Moto E phone with $10/month unlimited talk/text from Republic Wireless - best value of anything we own

$5 Beringer Pinot Grigio (available at Walmart)
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Gleops2

Post by Gleops2 »

Clumping Kitty Litter!!!!!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Bustoff wrote:The often quoted rule of thumb for retiring running shoes is every 400 miles.
So 42 pairs will propel her 16,800 miles or two thirds of the Earth's Circumference of 24,901 miles.
Purchasing 20 more shoes would complete the circumnavigation of the planet. :shock:
But then she'll be right back where she started from :oops:
I also don't want to think about how many times she's had to refurb and/or get new orthotics.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

That's really funny, TomatoTomahto. Just last week I found the same thing about the NB shoes I've bought for 15 years -- no longer being made, and the replacements are completely different. So I ordered 5 pairs online and my wife laughed at me. I'll tell her about the 42 just to annoy her!
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

Right now? Kraken rum :sharebeer