Does Google Voice still work with Obi?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Browser

Does Google Voice still work with Obi?

Post by Browser »

Last May I signed up with PhonePower on my Obi because Google Voice was going away. PhonePower has been fine and costs $40 per year, but I thought I heard that Google Voice was still working OK with the Obi. Like to find out, so that if it does I can reactivate my GV setup on the Obi before my year is up with PhonePower and I have to pay another $40 (assuming that deal is still in place).
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
niceguy7376

Re: Does Google Voice still work with Obi?

Post by niceguy7376 »

As of today, it is still working and never stopped working. No idea of future.
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

Google Voice is up and running.
robertk925

Post by robertk925 »

Google Voice is now (as of September 2014) Officially Supported on OBI VoIP Devices:

http://blog.obihai.com/2014/09/google-v ... pdate.html
just frank

Post by just frank »

I set up my new Obi with Google Voice last month. No problems at all. I only pay $15/year for a 911 service at Aveno (sp?).

My guess is that there was a successful last minute negotiation between the two companies. Google also appears to be getting more interested in being a cell/voice carrier in the last year or so. I suspect Goog's cost per voice user is minimal, and having a decent installed customer base is useful re their valuation and negotiations with other telephony companies.