Cell Phone Provider

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gary Guss

Cell Phone Provider

Post by Gary Guss »

Anybody using a Mobile Virtual Network Provider? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... _operators ... I need to use somebody that has access to AT and T towers, as thats the only serivce I can get from my cabin. What's your experience been with them?
Looks like this would be a way to save some bucks if, I can get the coverage.

Thanks,

GG
furwut

Re: Cell Phone Provider

Post by furwut »

I have H2O Wireless which is an AT&T MVNO. My plan is $10/mo ($9 after auto pay discount) but you pay for every call, text and MB of data. At home I use FaceTime, Skype or iMessage over my wi-fi network to avoid a charge. When I'm out and about I keep my cellular data setting off unless I really need to look something up.

Good plan for me.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

I use Cricket Wireless - they were bought by AT&T sometime back, so the coverage is more of less similar. We pay $90 for 2 lines with unlimited talk, texts and 5 GB data each. Never had any problems!
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Consider getting one of these to improve your phone reception, they actually work.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronic ... B003FGWGPS
You still need some signal reception so you need to get the cellular provider that works best in your area. We have had good luck with Page Plus cellular which uses Verizon's network.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Cricket, 1 phone, was 1 MB but goes up to 2.5 with no cost change with the next bill. With auto pay it's $35.
mikep

Post by mikep »

+1 for cricket. The data limit is not real anyways.. you can switch plans and it resets to 0 but the plan difference cost is pro-rated. Then switch it back to what you had and start fresh. This can be done up to twice/mo (switch and switch back).
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

+1 for Cricket Wireless. $35 on autopay for unlimited talk & text w/ 2.5 GB high speed data (8 MB/s on LTE) and then unlimited low-speed data.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Go with Consumer Cellular.
That's what I have.
You need an unlocked GSM phone to put their SIM in.

If you drive around, CC uses at&t partner towers when needed. Cricket just goes dead, no partners...
Last edited by The Wizard on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attempted new signature...
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I use h2o wireless. Their unlimited talk and text w/500MB of data, if purchased through pinzoo, is $29.89 and that includes all fees. I've had no issues thus far. They have 4G LTE.

http://www.pinzoo.com/wireless-refill-m ... ime-cards/
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

Ting - $6 per device, plus pooled minutes and data. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint network.
Topic Author
Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss »

Thanks all, Cricket sounds like it might work.. my cabin is way out in the boonies and I''m not kidding, all I can get out there is AT and T towers. GG
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

The Wizard wrote:Go with Consumer Cellular.
That's what I have.
You need an unlocked GSM phone to put their SIM in.

If you drive around, CC uses at&t partner towers when needed. Cricket just goes dead, no partners...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 . . . Talk, text, and data roaming (2G), which Cricket & H2O Wireless do NOT have; 4G LTE; one of the best U.S. based Customer Services; consistently ranked the top first or second MVNO in the country ever year for the past five years;

I live in the boonies, and I have had flawless coverage.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Tracfone using Verizon network, flip phones.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
theghetto

Post by theghetto »

johnubc wrote:Ting - $6 per device, plus pooled minutes and data. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint network.

+1 Ting

If available in your area it's worth a look. My dad switched to Ting from Verizon and his bill dropped from $100/month to $12/ month

I thought the call quality would be terrible, but actually calls from his cell phone are amazingly clear and without latency. Honestly I don't know how they can provide that level of service and still make a profit piggy backing on the 4 Big Providers.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

kd2008 wrote:+1 for Cricket Wireless. $35 on autopay for unlimited talk & text w/ 2.5 GB high speed data (8 MB/s on LTE) and then unlimited low-speed data.

Agreed. It has been great.
aznkaz

Post by aznkaz »

If you don't use it a lot Lycamobile. You need a unlocked phone. 2 cents per minute outgoing talk. 4 cents per outgoing text. Balance doesn't expire as long as you make a call or text once every 90 days. Tmobile MVNO. It usually cost me less than a dollar per month.
Browser

Post by Browser »

You gotta make sure that you have actual AT&T towers in your boonies. Usually boonies are served by partner networks and not Ma Bell herself. If that's the case you only have a couple choices: Consumer Cellular and StraightTalk. They are the only AT&T MVNOs that have partner roaming with AT&T. CC has the same coverage as the full AT&T prepaid network, don't know if StraightTalk has the same coverage. One or the other might serve your particular area. Unless your talk or data needs are pretty high, Consumer Cellular will be cheaper. But be aware that you pay taxes and fees on top of the monthly charge (don't know about StraightTalk). The other guys have the taxes and fees rolled into their charges, but they don't have partner roaming -- same coverage as GoPhone.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

itstoomuch wrote:Tracfone using Verizon network, flip phones.
Since the OP says only AT&T towers reach his home location, how is this a solution?

Plus, a GSM phone on AT&T is generally incompatible with CDMA technology phones on Verizon or Sprint networks.

*sigh...*
dotstar

Post by dotstar »

theghetto wrote:
johnubc wrote:Ting - $6 per device, plus pooled minutes and data. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint network.

+1 Ting

I also use ting, based on recommendations here. I've had it 5 or 6 months; it works well, has sprint network coverage, and is cost effective for low frequency usage.

However, my coverage is only on the Sprint Network (http://ting.com/coverage) and I am not aware of other options from them.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

dotstar wrote:
theghetto wrote:

+1 Ting

I also use ting, based on recommendations here. I've had it 5 or 6 months; it works well, has sprint network coverage, and is cost effective for low frequency usage.

However, my coverage is only on the Sprint Network (http://ting.com/coverage) and I am not aware of other options from them.
I browsed their website and they have some sort of beta program for GSM networks, which is what AT&T is.
But for now, they're a Sprint CDMA MVNO, hence of no utility to the OP...
FredL

Post by FredL »

Why don't you use FreedomPop which is free for basic. https://www.freedompop.com/
terran

Post by terran »

dotstar wrote:I also use ting, based on recommendations here. I've had it 5 or 6 months; it works well, has sprint network coverage, and is cost effective for low frequency usage.

Supposedly Ting will have a GSM offering by the end of the month on the tmobile network.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have one phone with AT&T ad one with Verizon Wireless. Both work excellent in terms of coverage from Florida to Maine to Minnesota to the Rocky Mountains!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."