First Time Dog Owners -- Any Regrets?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
segfault

Re: First Time Dog Owners -- Any Regrets?

Post by segfault »

Adopted my (now) four year old dog about a year ago from the shelter. She's incredibly sweet and has never torn up any furniture, carpets, etc. I crated her at first (which she hated) but now I let her roam the house when I'm away. Couldn't imagine life without her! She gets fearful and aggressive when she sees other dogs, and she will remain an only dog for that reason, but we are doing training with the hopes that she won't be as reactive when she sees another dog out on a walk.

"Upkeep" is not that expensive, I feed her the expensive dog food but she only eats about half to 2/3 a cup twice a day (and she weighs 30 pounds, a healthy weight according to the vet). She likes chicken jerky treats and gets a small rawhide twist every day. She loves chasing squeaky toys and I've found that it's difficult for her to destroy the Kong brand squeaky toys. It's uncanny how she knows immediately what is a toy and what isn't. We've only had one serious health scare--she had tarry stool a few months ago, which can indicate gastrointestinal bleeding. A trip to the emergency vet, bloodwork, and x-rays revealed no problems but cost $500. I'm guessing my first year cost, including the "startup costs" of adoption fees, crate, beds, bowls, leashes, etc., food/toy/treat costs, and the vet bills for microchipping, immunizations, and illness were under $2,000. Wouldn't trade her for the world, though!
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

you might consider watching some Cesar Millan videos on Netflix and/or read a book or two by him to get a sense of dog psychology and how to interact productively with your dog.

we have had dogs for many years and consider them part of our family.
Focus on what you can control
westie

Post by westie »

Owning a dog is adding a member to your family. We have two, a Westie and a Yorkie, that means four in the bed at night, we're pushovers. A fenced yard is a big plus, forget about the kids doing anything but having fun with the dog. Big/little? long/short hair?
Johno

Post by Johno »

Postmon wrote:We're thinking about getting our first dog. Both my spouse and I never had dogs/pets growing up and we don't consider ourselves "dog-people" (if there's such a thing). However, many of our friends have dogs and we're thinking a dog would make a nice addition to the family. We have two middle schoolers who assure us they'll take full responsibility (yeah, right!) but I know the responsibility will fall on me.
It seems you're thinking realistically on the major inherent issue. We got our first dog when our sons were 13 and 12. The younger one was bugging us nonstop for a dog. They promised to take all the responsibility; we knew they wouldn't; they didn't, so it turned out as expected. :D They did do a lot of the walking, but then as somebody else mentioned, puppy dog+middle schoolers= middle age dog+kids going away to college. Our youngest was still around though and we shared the dog walking. It was all good, what a wonderful fellow, a shelter dog, Beagle mix. He was a lot of work, he shed a *ton* and got himself into various jams, but mainly it broke our hearts when he passed.

Our current dog is another shelter dog, a so called 'pit bull' (really a mix like most so called, too big to be a female pure breed APBT), another terrific dog. She's much less of a nuisance (much less shedding and very well behaved), but my wife isn't strong enough to walk her alone and now with empty nest basically I have to do that rain or shine, under-the-weather or feeling great, and she needs a lot of exercise. It keeps me active, but it's a definite commitment. Assuming we outlast her, I don't know if we'll get another.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Wife and I, after got married, had a big fight over getting a dog. She'd always had one, I had never really had pets. After searching for ages, we got one at an amazing shelter, and I was blown away by how much I could love something. She was like my own child, and changed so much for the better.

Then, a few years later we had our first child, and then another. And now, our dog really doesn't get as much attention as she used to. Traveling is hard since now we don't have any dog sitters where we are, and we wish we could do more with her in this awfully cold climate. I've decided that while I love her so much, having a dog is for life, and you have to take into consideration that your lives will change much more than the dog's, and you have to adapt for many years. Considering all the work involved with two little ones, I don't think I will be getting another dog until maybe the kids are out of school.
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

I grew up with dogs, and my wife and I have participated in adoption/rescue of German Shorthair Pointers for 24 years now. In breed rescue, we see a lot of first time dog owners surrender their dogs because they really have no clue what they are getting into. I give you credit for researching and asking questions before making this huge commitment.

I would highly suggest finding a breed/mix-breed that is compatible for your lifestyle, and then find a local rescue organization or shelter and ask if you can foster the dog to see how the both of you do. If you find this is not for you, the option is there to return the dog, and a reputable rescue/shelter will not try to force you into keeping the dog.

Also, I would really discourage a puppy, and look for a young adult who has already learned some manners and basic household behavior.

This is a huge commitment, and be prepared for the possibility of large vet bills, kenneling expenses, etc. We currently have two GSPs, one with epilepsy. She needs medication every 8 hours at a cost of $70/month. Today she just had her yearly exam/visit with a vet neurologist to the tune of $700, $450 of that just for blood work (sent to Auburn University) to check her current therapeutic levels.

I wish you luck, and contrary to what some people may think, this really is a very big decision.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

TxAg wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:Do you love dogs?

What would you do if your dog had an emergency that required a $3,000 surgery?

This isn't a fair question. My wife and I are "dog people" but I know what we'd do in this situation...probably the same thing "non dog people" would do.
I'm horrified by this response and feel very sad for any dog you own. You certainly are not 'dog people'.

When you make the commitment to welcome an animal as a member of your family, you need to step up and accept that responsibility fully. If you can't afford it or don't want to spend what it costs, please - get a stuffed toy.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Since you got lots of pros - let me give you some cons. I have lots of regrets. It took years for my spouse and kids to convince me - I've been giving them a hard time ever since.
Here's a top 10 list:
10: Fenced in back yard makes it easier - just let them out back - until it snows. Now I need to shovel the back stairs and a pathway for them to take care of business. I used to let the back go during the winter. Extra work. Also need to salt the back stairs in the winter so they don't slip and fall.
9: Walking the dog sounds fun until it is pouring rain or until it is snowing or until you have a medical issue that prevents it. If you leave for the day without the dogs you are always looking at your watch wondering how much time you have before you need to get back to let the dog out.
8: In general - they are a money pit. Food, tick/flee treatment, grooming costs (ours are non-shedding as we have allergies), etc. And if you have a medical issue - some of their procedures are really expensive. Many buy medical insurance now.
7: We got them as puppies. They made quick work of my $150 dress shoes and many other items before we realized how much it took to fully puppy-proof the house. Be ready to call the carpet cleaner as well (put them on speed dial).
6: Had to move the kitty litter to a less convenient place and build a structure only the cats could defeat and not the dogs for access. The dogs saw the litter box as a snack tray. (Disgusting animals).
5: Every time we travel/vacation we need to board them somewhere or burden a relative. Normally we do the former and it is really expensive for a reputable place that will take proper care of them. We have done less weekend getaways since getting the dogs.
4: Spouse and kids said they would "clean" the backyard as a condition for me finally approving the dogs addition. That hasn't worked out so well - they always miss one and I always don't see it until it is too late. I now have special old shoes that stay outside for mowing the yard.
3: Yard now has many yellow areas from where they frequently urinate. They sell products that help - or you can water those areas more. In any case - more $$. You can also try to train them to go only in a certain gravel area (good luck with that!).
2: $$$$ Did I mention they are a money pit. I'm not convinced the reward is worth the $$
AND THE NUMBER 1 REASON FOR NOT OWNING A DOG IS:
1: Can no longer sleep in on the weekends. One dog is okay sleeping late - the other gets up on Saturday at the same time as the weekdays. If one of us doesn't get up with her - there goes the oriental rug. Spouse is usually willing but the process wakes me up anyway.

The original list I submitted to my spouse had over 100 items on it....

On the flip side the spouse and kids love the dogs and "claim" to have no regrets but if they did - they would likely not tell me as I'll say "I told you so".

Some of this is tongue-in-cheek - lots of people have dogs and love them - but know what you are getting yourselves into.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

HongKonger wrote:
TxAg wrote:

This isn't a fair question. My wife and I are "dog people" but I know what we'd do in this situation...probably the same thing "non dog people" would do.
I'm horrified by this response and feel very sad for any dog you own. You certainly are not 'dog people'.

When you make the commitment to welcome an animal as a member of your family, you need to step up and accept that responsibility fully. If you can't afford it or don't want to spend what it costs, please - get a stuffed toy.
I think the point is - you need to be READY for this type of expense. If you don't have the income to make this type of commitment - you probably shouldn't get a dog. Many folks now are buying pet medical insurance. My spouse volunteers at a no kill shelter - many dogs are there whose owners were NOT up for the commitment.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Totally agree. I have worked with many cat rescue charities to foster, adopt and rehome ..my speciality being those that people dump at around 10 years old when the bills kick in. Yes - you need to be ready to pay.

Since I moved countries (and paid to fly 3 said rescue cats with me half way round the world), I am now pretty much my own rescue charity with roughly 20 rescues in my care.

Money is nothing compared to the joy that animals can bring.
Topic Author
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

Just wanted to thank everyone for all your input. Lots of things to think about before moving forward. As some of you suggested, a trial with a shelter dog makes a lot of sense. In fact, before we do that, we'd like to volunteer at a shelter just to get our feet wet. Then, if we're still interested, we could foster a dog at home and see how that works out before committing. Again, we really appreciate all the insights. :beer
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

thenextguy wrote:You could consider fostering a dog to see how you like it. That way there's no long-term committment and you're helping a dog out.

I can't recommend this idea enough to someone who is considering taking full ownership of a new type of animal. Fostering helps the animal, helps the shelter, and gives the prospective owner the opportunity to see if they like having the animal around.

Great recommendation!
avenger

Post by avenger »

Postmon wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for all your input. Lots of things to think about before moving forward. As some of you suggested, a trial with a shelter dog makes a lot of sense. In fact, before we do that, we'd like to volunteer at a shelter just to get our feet wet. Then, if we're still interested, we could foster a dog at home and see how that works out before committing. Again, we really appreciate all the insights. :beer
What a great, responsible way to approach this. Good luck.

Mason is our 3 year old lab mix (got him at a rescue at 8 weeks of age). Couldn't imagine life without him (see my avatar).
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

HongKonger wrote:
TxAg wrote:

I thought of typing a long response and then it occurred to me that you're not worth it. After all, I'd rather spend the time taking Gigi on another walk today.

TxAg

Post by TxAg »

DaftInvestor wrote:
HongKonger wrote:
TxAg wrote:

I think the point is - you need to be READY for this type of expense. If you don't have the income to make this type of commitment - you probably shouldn't get a dog. Many folks now are buying pet medical insurance. My spouse volunteers at a no kill shelter - many dogs are there whose owners were NOT up for the commitment.

I know a whole slew of people in retirement communities living off $30,000/year. Their little dogs mean the world to them...and most of the dogs were adopted. Should these people choose not to own dogs because they can't afford to spend 10% of their income on a one time surgery?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The first dog that my husband and I adopted many years ago was the warmest, funniest, most loving dog anyone could ever hope for. He brought so much fun and happiness into our life we've always said that walking into a city pound one evening was the best thing we ever did. We spent a good deal of time training him but he was an avid pupil and after the first few months always well behaved.

That dog led us to a life of loving dogs. Over the years we've adopted many more dogs from pounds, and have volunteered for and fostered for dog rescues. We can't imagine life without a couple dogs in the house. It would be miserable.

The second dog we adopted years ago as a young newly-married couple was a rascal. We spent a goodly amount on dog trainers and animal behaviorists. There isn't a stick of furniture in our house which doesn't bear his teeth marks. Many doors and cabinets do as well. We loved him, yes, but we couldn't let him out of our sight, even for a few minutes without courting chaos. We've always said that if he was the first dog we adopted we would have never adopted another one.

We've also dog-sat for others' dogs that have left us feeling quite frazzled by the end of the weekend.

Temperament and personality means everything. It's often hard to know what a dog's personality is really like until they've settled into your life. We always say that it takes at least six weeks for a dog to show his full personality after you get him home. Be very mindful of the breed(s) of the dog you are considering adopting, but remember that breed descriptions you read online are just general guidelines and don't fully describe the personality of every dog of that breed. Yellow labs and yellow lab-mixes are great because they're very companionable and people-oriented, and often easy to train. Our first great dog was a yellow lab-mix and several yellow labs we've had since then have been true joys.

Good luck!
Last edited by Mrs.Feeley on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

One further thought. Many dog rescues allow you to bring a dog into your home for a trial period before committing to adopt. You should contact dog rescues in your area to apply and to speak with them about what kind of dog would be a good fit for your household.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

dratkinson wrote:What about a big dog-like cat. There are some, and they can take care of themselves. The Maine Coon breed comes to mind.
That's a great idea worth considering. Cats are far less maintenance and some can be very doglike. Two of our many cats are doglike. Both were rescued off the streets. One was spotted chasing golf balls down a fairway. He loves and greets strangers when they come in the house and is very playful. The other was totally feral, had an infected bad leg from a wound and nearly died. We nursed him back to health in one of our bathrooms. A few days later, he was meowing for us to come visit him. He loves to be picked-up, petted and runs up and down the house chasing balls and toys like a dog, as does the other one.

Dogs are wonderful but they do require more attention. A divorced friend of ours bought a beautiful, sweet Golden Retriever puppy some years ago. His job requires putting in very long hours and the dog was forced to spend many hours locked up alone. It was pitiful. She died not long ago from lymphoma.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

Hi all, will post a longer answer tomorrow as its my furGirls Gotcha day!

I had some of the same questions a while back - this is the thread.http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=129040

In short, I adopted a dog and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

She is a joy every day and a member of the family. I cant believe all these years I did not have a dog. Not sure if I was a "dog person" or not but I am my Smidges' biggest fan.

Smidge was a rescue and in foster care for 3 months before I got her, she was 5 years old. The first month was hard, I knew nothing but most cites have places that give classes with teachers that are volunteers so the person knows how train and handle their dog. We took 4 classes for 75 bucks each and they were excellent- and they were fun for us both and great for bonding. I also had good dog coaches! I had a trainer help me this past summer and it was 60 bucks for all summer - all email and over the phone.

Get the breed that is right for you and do your research. Smidge is a Shiba Inu which is not a Golden and not right breed for everyone- for me she is a blast. And I lost 26 lbs walking the dog. I love it. And Smidge and I passed the Canine Good Citizen test in December! We were thrilled. I have insurance for anything catastrophic for 19 bucks a month. She keeps me off the work computer and I need that.

I will figure out how to post photos and more tomorrow.
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a pretty easy breed to keep. They're a smaller breed (10-20 lbs), lazy and generally just want to spend their time curled up in your lap or somewhere close to you. They don't require a ton of exercise (10 minutes a day in our fenced in yard to do his business is about all ours wants), but they do need to be combed every few days. Ours is more lazy than the cat, and was much the same even when he was a puppy.

Compared to the lab/pit mix we have, the CKC is a breeze. Having a lab mix is like having an eternal toddler. We keep hoping she'll settle down when she gets older, but at 5 years she shows no sign of slowing down.

Love them both to death though. But I'm a dog person. :happy
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I never had a dog, but got one because my kids wanted one. I was dead set against it, but went along with it.

Now, we are on our second dog. I will have a dog for the rest of my life.

Get one from a reputable breeder is my best advice.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Go with a dog rescue and/or a shelter. There are plenty of younger dogs that have been abandoned that need homes.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Topic Author
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

stemikger wrote:Go with a dog rescue and/or a shelter. There are plenty of younger dogs that have been abandoned that need homes.
That was our first thought, but as we do our research we're starting to lean toward a breeder. The idea of being a first time dog owner is a bit skittish to begin with so we would want a dog that was "easy." Even if we were to go to a breeder, we know there are no guarantees. However, the likelihood of getting a dog that works for us would be much higher. Additionally, the amount of shedding will be a criteria so that narrows it down to certain breeds.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

I would HIGHLY recommend talking a friend into letting you pet sit (at your house) their dog for a week or so and see how it goes. Just a week of having a dog that is already reasonably well trained in your lives can be illuminating about the impacts in REALITY as opposed to theory.
mistike

Post by mistike »

Consider fostering first, that will let you know if you're ready for the long haul, and what to expect.

Also, as a first-timer, don't get a puppy. Yes, they're cute, but they require education, and if you know nothing about dogs, it's going to be quite a bumpy road. Shelters are overflowing with adult dogs (young or not) that are already trained and obedient. Get one of these. Get a dog that will teach you about dogs :)
Nothing like the love of a shelter dog.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I'm not a dog person, so I'll give you a gentle warning. If you get a dog, make sure you train it to NOT BARK when outside if you live within city limits. Most cities have strict ordinances about this and they are all against the dog owner. A new dog owner near me is going to shortly be finding out just how severe the ordinance penalties are about barking dogs.

Also, most cities will not allow your yard to become a dog crap park. If the neighbors can smell it, you'll get cited, fined and ultimately the dog will be permanently taken away.

PS - I'm completely unsympathetic about it.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Something special for dog lovers. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/v/txiR7oEVGd0
Topic Author
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

Okay, you convinced me. Where can I get one of those? :wink:
poker27

Post by poker27 »

mistike wrote:Consider fostering first, that will let you know if you're ready for the long haul, and what to expect.

Also, as a first-timer, don't get a puppy. Yes, they're cute, but they require education, and if you know nothing about dogs, it's going to be quite a bumpy road. Shelters are overflowing with adult dogs (young or not) that are already trained and obedient. Get one of these. Get a dog that will teach you about dogs :)
While I agree this is correct, not sure I would tell people to stay away from puppies. We got our shelter dog when he was about 6mo. He was horrible for the first few months, maybe even 6-9. The guy would cry for 12+ hours a day while at home, I would take him for 1-2 mile walks and he would still be a ball of energy, go crazy when he saw other dogs, go to the bathroom in the house daily, and go insane when we'd leave the house.

He just turned 2, and its fun to see him maturing. While he still has some of his younger 'issues' (cries, but not as much, goes after other dogs playfully, ect) its endearing to see him grow up.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Postmon wrote:
Okay, you convinced me. Where can I get one of those? :wink:
This will get you started in the right direction:
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/how ... s-your-dog
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

BolderBoy wrote:I'm not a dog person, so I'll give you a gentle warning. If you get a dog, make sure you train it to NOT BARK when outside if you live within city limits. Most cities have strict ordinances about this and they are all against the dog owner. A new dog owner near me is going to shortly be finding out just how severe the ordinance penalties are about barking dogs.

Also, most cities will not allow your yard to become a dog crap park. If the neighbors can smell it, you'll get cited, fined and ultimately the dog will be permanently taken away.

Are you kidding me? The dog permanently removed? I hope your city has a large budget for legal expense because they're going to need it. In my experience, people who walk their dogs and don't clean up after them are a much bigger problem.
Johno

Post by Johno »

mistike wrote:Consider fostering first, that will let you know if you're ready for the long haul, and what to expect.

We got a 6 month old from shelter as our first dog. We didn't know much and it was a bumpy road, chewing, barking too much, starting fights in the dog run, and most seriously trying to bite people in some situations (rollerbladers or skateboarders, he was as if possessed by a demon when he heard them). He was also a life long *huge* shedder. But since we were clueless as dog owners, we also didn't think these problems should cause regret let alone rejecting him, so we just gradually addressed the addressable ones and he eventually mellowed and became a lot more manageable, with no serious harm done in the meantime. We wept when he died 13 yrs later.

But we realized when we got our current dog (as a 2 yr old) that other shelter dogs are a lot better behaved. :D I'd say she was ideal for first time owners except for her hostility to other dogs, which is a lot more intense than our previous dog's hot and cold reaction to other dogs. It would be crazy to put her in a dog run, and adult strength and decision making are needed to handle her around other dogs; but she's extremely good with all people which is where the risk really is as dog owner.

We would never buy a dog from a breeder, creating more dogs when so many terrific dogs die unwanted (our current dog has a heart rending story of abuse and search for a new home, she was even on TV before we knew her, we only found the clip later). Of course breeding and buying from breeders is legal and it's a free country but we never would.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

pshonore wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:I'm not a dog person, so I'll give you a gentle warning. If you get a dog, make sure you train it to NOT BARK when outside if you live within city limits. Most cities have strict ordinances about this and they are all against the dog owner. A new dog owner near me is going to shortly be finding out just how severe the ordinance penalties are about barking dogs.

Are you kidding me? The dog permanently removed? I hope your city has a large budget for legal expense because they're going to need it. In my experience, people who walk their dogs and don't clean up after them are a much bigger problem.
Almost every problem I've seen with dogs can be traced back to an owner fault, mostly out of ignorance, just not taking time to read up on the nature of the animal or a particular breed, or talking with a vet when problems arise, etc. Fortunately, a well-behaved dog can be traced back to the owner's proper attention and care.
Last edited by Fallible on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I couldn't agree more. Although once in a while you can get a dog who is atypical for the breed. We adopted a purebred who was smart, loyal and everything else but did not like small kids. We knew that going in and our kids were grown so that was not a problem. She turned out to be a great show dog and we had 12 wonderfull years with her and we still miss her.