Good Wines

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lon

Good Wines

Post by Lon »

I had a bottle of Bogle Old Vine Zindanfel with my Rib Eye Steak ehe other night and for a nine dollar bottle of wine it was out standing. What are some of your favorites both white and reds in that 9 to 12 dollar price range. 8-)
FreeAtLast

Re: Good Wines

Post by FreeAtLast »

The Finger Lakes region in upstate NY has some excellent whites....for example, if you are willing to spend up to $15.00, try some varieties from the Konstantin Frank Wine Cellars.....you will not be disappointed.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Francis Coppola Red Blend is a good wine for a great price. Originally had a glass with dinner at Olive Garden and have enjoyed all the blends in the Coppola collection.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

14 Hands: merlot and red blend
Columbia Crest, Horse Heaven Hills (H3): merlot
Columbia Crest, Armitage: red blend
Kim Crawford: sauvignon blanc
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Sagelands Cabernet (WA State)
Gascon Malbec (Arg.)
Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc (NZ)
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
sci fi

Post by sci fi »

I like a bottle of Mouton Cadet red wine every once in a while, from Bordeaux. It's pretty generic, but good enough for me and it's maybe 10 bucks or so.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

J LOHR Cabernet :beer
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

You might check a site called the Reverse Wine Snob (just google to find it). He rates wines in the $10-20 category and puts out a top 10 list for Costco and Trader Joes wines. He evaluates taste, but then deducts points based on price, a nice Boglehead-ish approach.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Horse heaven hills 2010 Cabernet
St. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot
Yaso
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I paid $3,29 a bottle for red wine at Trader Joe's recently. Seemed just fine to me! :happy
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Puna wrote:I like a bottle of Mouton Cadet red wine every once in a while, from Bordeaux. It's pretty generic, but good enough for me and it's maybe 10 bucks or so.
Yep, I drink that too, but it's usually only $7.99 at my local Trader Joe's, so not in the op's price range ;).
I'm happy with most recent vintage red bordeaux wine in the $7+ range. When I want to splurge, I buy a slightly older vintage Tertre du Moulin St Emillion for about $15 .
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Yeah, the Bogle wines aren't half bad.

My wife likes white wines between $9 and $14, particularly the Marlborough Sauvingnon Blancs:

Brancott Estates Sauv
Matua Sauv
Kim Crawford Sauv
Lonely Cow Sauv
Oyster Bay Sauv
New Age (sparkling blend)
Casal Garcia Vino Verdo (they have a white and a rose, the rose is pretty darn good, the white is just good :wink: )

I like some inexpensive reds as well:

Seven Deadly Zins (Zin, of course)
Cigar Box Malbec
Nicky Hahn Pinot Noir
Apothic Red (I like the Apothic Dark better, but it is harder to find)
Liberty School Cab
Layer Cake Primovito (like a Vin; actually, Layer Cake does a lot of wines pretty well. My wife even likes their Sauv - not her favorite, but she's pretty picky about her Sauvs)

There are a few other Malbecs I like, but they have slipped my mind. I usually wind up going white so that I have someone to drink with at dinner...

Cheers,

JT
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Bottlecap,

Do you have a Fresh and Easy near you? Your wife can add their Pebble Bay to her list.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I like Uppercut Cabernet. We live in a low cost state, so it could be a little higher than the price you quoted.

Tim
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Barefoot Merlot $5 at Kroger

Have a small glass every night :beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

CoAndy wrote:Francis Coppola Red Blend is a good wine for a great price. Originally had a glass with dinner at Olive Garden and have enjoyed all the blends in the Coppola collection.
Didn't Sophia Coppola start putting wine in cans?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
billyo44

Post by billyo44 »

Turning Leaf Pinot Noir...tried many others but for $8 per bottle it's hard to beat.
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Any White Bourdeaux you can find for $10-$15...great stuff, especially for summer sipping outside. Might be limited to a couple of bottles on the shelf of your local store.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Lon wrote:I had a bottle of Bogle Old Vine Zindanfel with my Rib Eye Steak ehe other night and for a nine dollar bottle of wine it was out standing.
There are lots of good wines in that price range at Trader Joe's, including the Bogle Old Vine Zin. That's on my list too.

I also like the Ravenswood Zins.

I recently tried a 2011 Barbera d’Asti Superiore from TJ's. I was really blown away--an amazing bargain. Maybe it was the meal overall, but at least one other person agreed with me:
http://goodcheapvino.com/italian-barber ... aste-test/
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Carefreeap wrote:Bottlecap,

Do you have a Fresh and Easy near you? Your wife can add their Pebble Bay to her list.
No, but thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the store and the brand!

JT
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Several house wines from the Total Wine chain of stores, especially

Radius Red Blend $9 (by the case, otherwise $10)
Low Hanging Fruit Cabernet $8 for a magnum.

Costco Sonoma Valley Chardonnay $7 (they also have a magnum for slightly more, but we like the regular bottle more.)

rj49, thanks for the Reverse Wine Snob recommendation. It looks interesting; I signed up for the emails.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Two buck chuck.
I know nothing!
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Second vote for the amitage.

Kung fu girl riesling.

Colosi Nero d'avola, could be closer to $16.

Any columbia crest grand estates or HHH; I cook with the Two Vines.

I think you get a lot of value stepping up to the $15-$18 range so that's all I've got $9-$12.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Sauvignon Blanc by Cupcake wines
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

I really like 14 Hands & Liberty School as well. Highly recommended.
Peter Lehmann, Sebastiani & Dreaming Tree are others that I like in that price range. Even though I feel Sebastiani 2009 was a better year.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Try J. Lohr (Riverstone Chardonnay, Los Osos Merlot, Seven Oaks Cabernet). It's pretty easy, where I live, to find these wines in the $10-$12 range.

Lohr has more upscale brands, but the above will easily pass muster if you are entertaining.

Lev
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

St. Michelle Rieslings, or any of their whites. I love Washington State wines.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

What do you folks think of Mogan David concord wine? It tastes good.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

rec7 wrote:What do you folks think of Mogan David concord wine? It tastes good.
Reminds me of grape jelly. In pinch I'll drink it.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
B'Falls_JT

Post by B'Falls_JT »

Lon,

Here are some of our USA favorites in (or close to) your price range:
* McManis Cabernet Sauvignon - Medium-bodied, smooth, polished, accessible, great bargain
* Cline Ancient Vines Zinfandel - Medied-bodied, spicy, accessible, polished
* Ghost Pines Merlot (by Louis M. Martini) - Medium-bodied, approachable, more structured than most Merlots
* Cline Cool Climate Pinot Noir - Full-bodied, elegant, good price for a good Pinot
* Gnarly Head Authentic Red (Red Blend) - Medium-bodied, expressive, spicy

JT
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Inglenook, Gallo box wines are great everyday dinner and buzz wines or whatever the guest brings.
For something really fancy, I'd go for a ~$80+ sherry or port. At this price you get to appreciate even the poorer quality stuff. :wink:
Forces you to drink slowly.
yummmmy.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

I had a $12.99 bottle of Trader Joe's Grand Reserve Cabernet Sauv 2012 the other day that was very good.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

One of favs is Liberty School, a Cab. The 2011 if you can find it. It goes for around $14.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Bartles & Jaymes
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

As others have mentioned, the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc ($11.99 at Costco) is a perennial favorite.
larsdad

Post by larsdad »

For everyday dinner wine I like Black Box merlot. Can't beat the price, decent tasting and won't oxidize like an open bottle. When I "splurge" I like Clos du Bois Merlot, 14 Hands Cab and J Lohr Cab.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

Every time this comes up a number of people mention "two buck chuck" (which hasn't cost less than $3 in years). If this is what you like to drink then there's nothing wrong with that, but frankly this is not good quality wine. There are plenty of good wines that are relatively inexpensive, but this is definitely not one of them.
chuck h

Post by chuck h »

I enjoy a red blend made by Marietta of California called Old Vine Red for about $12 a bottle
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I like the red blends;
Dreaming Tree Crush About $11
Big House Red Box price about $16 - 17

OK not in the price range you mentioned:
Orin Swift Prisoner
Dave Phinney locations E & F (Didnt care for AR or I)
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Charles Shaw at Trader Joe's - $2.99 per bottle.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Rosemount Shiraz/Cab mix
Fat Bastard - it's an actual wine. :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

LAlearning wrote:Two buck chuck.
Yep, sipping some of their cab right now before Super Bowl.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

$9-$12, is to rich for my blood, I like Bota Old Vine Zin about $5 a bottle from 3ltr box, but coupons are around, and Twisted OVZ about $6 a bottle in the magnum. :beer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Lambrusco! $12 a gallon or so.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

I am really surpised Boggleheads are so frugal. I am almost 70 and if I drink wine, I drink good wine, no boxes, no two buck chuck. I will even venture off to Napa and pay up to $85 for a good bottle of wine. It is not a contest to me to save $ at this time in my life, it is to embrace life and enjoy it. But, to each their own. I have very wealthy friends that will go to their graves happy that they bought cheap wine.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Most wines sold today are poisoned with chemicals to "keep them from going bad" as they age, but I say it is because the factories that make them are not clean enough. Potassium metabisulfate triggers migraines and is unnatural in wine.
I prefer to make my own absent additives.
When I do purchase wines I prefer "Our Daily Red" and many of the selections from Frey as they contain no detectable sulfites.

It is much easier waking up from over indulgence.
Pale Blue Dot
Topic Author
Lon

Post by Lon »

Robert44 wrote:I am really surpised Boggleheads are so frugal. I am almost 70 and if I drink wine, I drink good wine, no boxes, no two buck chuck. I will even venture off to Napa and pay up to $85 for a good bottle of wine. It is not a contest to me to save $ at this time in my life, it is to embrace life and enjoy it. But, to each their own. I have very wealthy friends that will go to their graves happy that they bought cheap wine.
You seem to infer that good wines can only be purchased at a higher price. I am 80 and can well afford paying $85 for a bottle of wine, but why? Sutter puts out some really good wines and you won't be paying $85.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

Lon wrote:
Robert44 wrote:I am really surpised Boggleheads are so frugal. I am almost 70 and if I drink wine, I drink good wine, no boxes, no two buck chuck. I will even venture off to Napa and pay up to $85 for a good bottle of wine. It is not a contest to me to save $ at this time in my life, it is to embrace life and enjoy it. But, to each their own. I have very wealthy friends that will go to their graves happy that they bought cheap wine.
You seem to infer that good wines can only be purchased at a higher price. I am 80 and can well afford paying $85 for a bottle of wine, but why? Sutter puts out some really good wines and you won't be paying $85.

To each their own, but I can definitely tell the difference and yes I am inferring good wines cost more than bad wines.
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

My favs under 20 bucks are Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc for white and 7 Deadly Zins for Red.
Rl2

Post by Rl2 »

Columbia Crest or their H3 variety is a good low-priced red
Pine Ridge is our go-to white

I've also had good luck with Cotes du Rhone. A bit like a value stock "reliable...and completely lacking in sex appeal." :beer
http://www.wsj.com/articles/can-humble- ... 1420825218