Scottsdale, AZ - what to do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TRC

Scottsdale, AZ - what to do?

Post by TRC »

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I will be visiting Scottsdale, AZ next week (after the superbowl). We're staying at the JW Marriot with no real plans (company reward trip). We are both in our late 30s and will have a rental car. Any suggestions on what to do while we're there?

Thanks,
TRC
PaddyMac

Re: Scottsdale, AZ - what to do?

Post by PaddyMac »

If you like art, there are a few nice art galleries along main street that would kill a morning. But if you have a whole day, I'd recommend the
Desert Botanic Garden in Phoenix http://www.dbg.org
or the amazing Musical Instrument Museum, also in Phoenix. http://mim.org They have a cafe for lunch.

If your wife likes to shop for clothes bargains, there is a Nordstrom "Last Chance" store in Phoenix. http://shop.nordstrom.com/st/last-chanc ... ance-store
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Grand canyon, Sedona, Jerome (ghost town), Barrett-jackson?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Old Town Scottsdale has great touristy stuff and souvenirs and whatnot.

Fashion Square is probably the best shopping center in the state.

Highly recommend both the MIM and the botanical gardens as mentioned above.

If you're into hiking, I like the McDowell Mountain Preserve. Trails range from 1/2 mile to 10+ miles. Whatever you're into.

If you want to go to Sedona it's an hour and a half north, but definitely worth it if you're into hiking a bit.

While in town, find Carolina's Mexican restaurant and order a Red Machaca burrito. Honestly anything you get at Carolinas is unbelievable. But the Red Machaca is my spirit animal.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Native American Culture: Heard Museum http://heard.org
Best Wishes, | Joe
Rl2

Post by Rl2 »

I enjoyed driving up to Sedona and taking the Pink Jeep tour. Great scenery.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

TRC wrote:Hi Everyone,

My wife and I will be visiting Scottsdale, AZ next week (after the superbowl). We're staying at the JW Marriot with no real plans (company reward trip). We are both in our late 30s and will have a rental car. Any suggestions on what to do while we're there?

Thanks,
TRC
Your hotel is located in the Northeast part of Phoenix known as Desert Ridge. It is a very nice area. Your hotel has outstanding golf, and a wonderful pool area. It's truly a fabulous property. You are very close to some great hiking in North Scottsdale. Check out the McDowell Mountain area, Pinnacle Peak, Tom's Thumb, Sunrise Peak, etc. If you want to head into central Phoenix, you can hike Camelback or Squaw Peak.

If you want a great taste of local food, head to central Phoenix. Try: Joyride, Postino's, The Vig, Blanco, Pizzeria Bianco, The Parlor, Beckett's Table, Zinburger, Pizza People Pub, Le Grande Orange, and so many more.

If you guys enjoy hiking and want to see a really interesting place, check out Sedona. From your hotel you are probably only 100 or 110 miles from Sedona. There are also a couple of lakes within a short drive (hour or less) if you want to check out some water sports.

Another poster mentioned the Musical Instrument Museum. Your hotel is about 2 miles away.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

If you enjoy outdoor shopping, definitely check out Kierland. And when you go, you have to eat at North. It'll be a wonderful experience.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Hiking right in Phoenix up Camelback is a fun excursion.
Many great restaraunts, one my favorite experiences was Lon's at the Hermosa
Heard Museum as posted above is really cool
AWH_CPA

Post by AWH_CPA »

Wow sounds like lots of other PHX people on the boards. Glad to see we are representing.

+1 on the Carolina's Mexican Food. It's about a 10 minute drive via the 101 and 51 freeways from the JW. It's a hole in the wall type place but has the best food.

Lots of hiking. Camelback, Squaw Peak, McDowell MTN. Enjoy a day at the spa. Drive north to the Grand Canyon. (About 4 hours each way so its a full day, but would be worth seeing if you have not.)

Play Golf. Do a desert Jeep tour. Welcome to 75 degrees.
davebarnes

Alternative newspapers are great

Post by davebarnes »

A nerd living in Denver
toto238

Post by toto238 »

If you're a foodie, and like food trucks, try the Food Truck Caravan. Google it and you'll find the info.

It's about a dozen different food trucks that come to the same parking lot every Saturday night. It's always changing which trucks come. Some really unbelievable food if you have nothing going on that Saturday night. There's usually live music too.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Grand canyon, Sedona, Jerome (ghost town), Barrett-jackson?
The first three of those are nowhere close to Scottsdale...
:(
Attempted new signature...
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

no mention of the Taliesen West (Frank Lloyd Wright site)

or the Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park in Tucson.

There is a lot to do with Phoenix as a base, it's a question of your interests.

If you go toward Sedona and/ or the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff has several brewpubs.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Jerome (ghost town)

Jerome is not a ghost town, it is an old mining town presently full of arty shops and restaurants.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Nothing to add. Just jealous; sick of shoveling snow. Have a great time! Maybe post some photos for members in frozen,snowy, north.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Whatever you decide to do, leave your heavy coats at home. Check out yesterday's weather report on Channel 10 in Phoenix:
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/27975 ... -broadcast

Seriously, if you like good restaurants here are a few of my favorites in Scottsdale:

The Roaring Fork - Open for dinner only. Reservations usually required. The date salad, pork loin, duck breast, pork chop and anything you order will be great. Great dessert selections as well. My favorite is the root beer float.
http://www.roaringfork.com

Malee's Thai on Main - Located in Old Town Scottsdale. Open for lunch and dinner. The spicy crispy fish is outstanding. They will spice to your taste if you like things mild.
http://www.maleesonmain.com

Houston's - Open for lunch and dinner. Best ribs and chicken tenders I've ever tasted. They do everything well.
http://hillstone.com/#/restaurants/houstons/

The White Chocolate Grill - Open for lunch and dinner. Great food and fantastic desserts. The tomato gin soup is unique and excellent as are the white chocolate bacon and bleu cheese salad, chicken, steaks, ribs, fish, etc. The white chocolate bread pudding is outstanding, as are their other desserts.
http://whitechocolategrill.com

Fogo de Chao - Open for lunch and dinner. This a Brazilian steak house and a meat lovers paradise. One price for all you can eat. You begin with a great salad bar. Then when you are ready, servers come around with about 16 different cuts of meat on skewers and you eat the ones you want. The papaya cream is a great dessert. Come hungry.
http://www.fogodechao.com/?id=168

If you plan on going to any of the above for dinner, I suggest calling ahead and making reservations. At this time of the year, we have lots of visitors. Have fun!
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Topic Author
TRC

Post by TRC »

Thank you all for the suggestions! Very helpful.
muddlehead

Post by muddlehead »

Are you walker sight seers? Great walking city. Walk length of Indian School Park. Nice public tennis courts in the park if you play. Walk west starting at N Scottsdale and Jackrabbit. Sweet residential area to see on Sage Dr and Cholla Ln if you can walk that far. Frank LLoyd Wright's is pricey, but worth it if the cost isn't a factor.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

There's a Vanguard facility in Scottsdale, but there's probably no easy way to visit it and maybe nothing interesting to see there...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

nisiprius wrote:There's a Vanguard facility in Scottsdale, but there's probably no easy way to visit it and maybe nothing interesting to see there...
I've found the most useful and knowledgeable reps I've spoken to have all been from Scottsdale. So maybe you'll see them around, they seem like friendly peoples.

Isn't there a golf thing happening in and around Scottsdale right now? If that's what you're into.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Don't go to Sedona, you will fall in love and dream about retiring there. :beer
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I like the Tucson recommendations ... BUT ... remember that a drive to Tucson from Scottsdale is a good THREE hours.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Another vote for hiking!

You will find Camelback pretty busy. Here's where I like to hike:

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/spur_cross/

It's about 10 miles north of where you're staying. A lot less crowded and Cave Creek is a fun place to hang out.

The video is very informative and worth spending some time watching. I don't remember the schedule off the top of my head but if you have chance to do the moonlight hike it's a lot of fun.

I'm headed to Carefree tomorrow and leading a hike to the Indian Ruins on Elephant Butte on the 8th. My husband and I lived in the area for 6 years and I love coming back to visit. 8-)
Every day I can hike is a good day.
camper

Post by camper »

jlawrence01 wrote:I like the Tucson recommendations ... BUT ... remember that a drive to Tucson from Scottsdale is a good THREE hours.
Maybe if you drive really slow...I routinely make the drive. I have made it in as little as 1 hour 15 minutes, but most of the time it takes 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

If you have never been to the Grand Canyon you should go there. It is really one of the Great Wonders of the world!
It is a long drive, but worth the time.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

kingsnake wrote:Hiking right in Phoenix up Camelback is a fun excursion.
Lon's is great. Also, steak 44
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

If you want a tour I'd do a loop: Arcosanti https://arcosanti.org/ , Sedona, Jerome, Prescott, Wickenberg and back via Lake Pleasant. You could add Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon but doing all that in one day would be a probably not be much fun.

Around town the Desert Botanical Museum, Heard Museum, Taliesin West, Pueblo Grande Ruins and, if you've never been in one, Ikea.

More: Heading east, the Apache Trail is an interesting drive along the Salt River on one side and the Superstition Mountains on the other arriving at Roosevelt Lake. (Yes, there are lakes in Aridzona!)
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

SQRT wrote:
kingsnake wrote:Hiking right in Phoenix up Camelback is a fun excursion.
Lon's is great. Also, steak 44
Lon's is indeed great. Steak 44 is one of the best places I have ever been. Highly recommended.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

I agree with previous poster about Sedona. You will want to retire there. Expensive, 11% sales tax…you've been warned!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

PaddyMac wrote:I agree with previous poster about Sedona. You will want to retire there. Expensive, 11% sales tax…you've been warned!
Actually I will be doing just that. At present Sedona is more affordable than before the crash, although more pricey than most of Arizona.

Sales taxes tend to be high in AZ- it is apparently easier to get sales tax increased for specific purposes than it is to do income tax or whatever. However- just south of Sedona in Village of Oak Creek or Cottonwood- sales tax is a bit less.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

PaddyMac wrote:I agree with previous poster about Sedona. You will want to retire there. Expensive, 11% sales tax…you've been warned!
Yep. The foundation of our new home there got poured last Wednesday. :sharebeer

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

OP, what did you and your significant other do during your trip to Scottsdale?
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

camper wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:I like the Tucson recommendations ... BUT ... remember that a drive to Tucson from Scottsdale is a good THREE hours.
Maybe if you drive really slow...I routinely make the drive. I have made it in as little as 1 hour 15 minutes, but most of the time it takes 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes.
Not during the Gem Show! :annoyed
Van

Post by Van »

Play/learn to play GOLF.
Topic Author
TRC

Post by TRC »

AZAttorney11 wrote:OP, what did you and your significant other do during your trip to Scottsdale?
Actually on a flight right now back to snowy boston! Our trip got extended an extra days due to the snow storm (on my company's dime!).

We ended up eating at 3 really good restaurants for dinner:
Cafe Monarch in Scottsdale - loved it. Great atmosphere.
Quiessence Farm - true farm to table dining experience.
And last night, we went to Elements at Sanctuary Resort in Camelback Mt. By far the best dining experience of the whole trip. What really topped the charts was who was sitting next to us during dinner at our neighboring table: Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester and Cody Ross (all Major League Baseball Players). Being from Boston, I was star struck! I didn't work up the nerve to talk to them though.

We took a day trip up to Sedona and did a Pink Jeep Tour which was amazing. I have never seen such blue sky in my life and the rock formations were something we've never seen before. The terrain those jeeps took us through was unreal. Loved that town and enjoyed a delicious outdoor lunch at Taos Cantina.

We did lots of walking around our resort property each morning. I couldn't' get over how CLEAN the place was (even off the resort). Even medians between the roads were beautifully landscaped.

The weather was awesome. Cool at night but a scorcher during the day. I had to get myself out of the sun several times while near the pool.

All in all it was a very relaxing trip and I'd love to go back!
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

TRC wrote:The weather was awesome. Cool at night but a scorcher during the day. I had to get myself out of the sun several times while near the pool.
This quote really made me laugh; don't vist in the summer!!!

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

AZAttorney11 wrote:
TRC wrote:The weather was awesome. Cool at night but a scorcher during the day. I had to get myself out of the sun several times while near the pool.

LOL my girlfriend and I hiked Brown's Ranch today. After the hike my girlfriend asked "How hot do you think it is?" I said 80. She laughed and said it was 73. Guess I'm out of practice! :D
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Carefreeap wrote:
AZAttorney11 wrote:

LOL my girlfriend and I hiked Brown's Ranch today. After the hike my girlfriend asked "How hot do you think it is?" I said 80. She laughed and said it was 73. Guess I'm out of practice! :D
I've been meaning to do that hike. Did you see the snow on Mt. Humphrey's?
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

No. The furthest north we could see is the Golf Ball near 7 Springs. I didn't realize you could see Mt. Humphreys from Scottsdale. Wow!

My stomping grounds are in the Spur Cross and Tonto National Forest area around 7 Springs. I used to be a docent there. I have a um "reputation" for some memorable hikes. 8-)

Where do you like to hike?
Topic Author
TRC

Post by TRC »

AZAttorney11 wrote:

I bet! The sun is different out there for sure. I'm used to hot days here in New England, with LOTS of Humidity. But the sun out there is WAY more intense!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

^^^

You learn very quickly the importance of a sun hat starting at the end of winter (usually January 15th or so).

When I moved to Arizona, I was always surprised at how parents dressed their kids to walk to school - jeans, t-shirt (or uniform), hat and gloves. Often no jacket or sweatshirt. It makes sense when the high will be 80 in the PM.

For those in a colder climate, a lot of Arizonans dress very heavily for a cold day - 50F with a 5 mph wind brings out heavy jackets.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

TRC wrote:The sun is different out there for sure. I'm used to hot days here in New England, with LOTS of Humidity. But the sun out there is WAY more intense!
You are very correct. Sunglasses out here are a must. Also, straw hats and sunblock come in handy when spending time in the sun. Arizona leads the nation in skin cancer rates. The bright sunshine is fine with me. I've never had to shovel an ounce of it.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.