Survey - Men Who Exercise At a Gym

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Survey - Men Who Exercise At a Gym - clean exercise clothes frequency

Every day -
44%
About Once a week
20%
Whenever the wash is done
11%
Every two weeks
3%
Once a Month
2%
When other gym users put on gas masks
No votes
When I put On a gas mask
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes: 64

Topic Author
dm200

Survey - Men Who Exercise At a Gym

Post by dm200 »

For men who regularly work out at a gym - how frequently do you wear clean exercise/workout clothes? [Assume that the exercise clothes are hung up after exercise session and NOT just stuffed sweaty/wet into a gym bag]
ResearchMed

Re: Survey - Men Who Exercise At a Gym

Post by ResearchMed »

What about women who exercise at a Gym???

You think women don't sweat (er, "get dewey" :wink: ), or just don't bother with clean clothes?

(Also, wouldn't these answers seem to make a difference depending upon gym visit frequency - daily/every weekday, vs. once per week?)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

You forgot one option -- clothes evolve to sentient beings, get up and walk to the wash on their own.

I generally throw them in the laundry every other trip to the gym - depends on how hot the gym is and how aggressive my workout is.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Do you mean, do we let dirty gym clothes accumulate in the laundry, or do you mean, do we actually use gym clothes more than once before washing? :confused

Whatever you mean, I wash em right away and I am not answering the poll because I'm sorta female.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
dewey

Post by dewey »

We hit the gym an average of 4 days a week (had to select other). I put a clean workout shirt on each time I go. My trunks I change out every 3-4 trips.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Don't need no stinking gym. Live in Upstate NY and run 4 miles/day outside all year long. Have about 60 T-shirts and 10 pairs of shorts, so only have to wash about every 2 weeks.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Workout 3 to 4 times a week and I throw my clothes in the laundry basket after each workout. I have too. Most of my workouts lead to me sweating a lot. I don't have to wear my clothes on back to back days as I have a lot of workout clothes.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Nothing worse in the gym than being next to "the smelly person" on cardio equipment. I try not to be him.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Practically all I wear is gym clothes. Since I generally do something outdoors and sweaty about 3 times a day, I have enough items that I wear fresh clothes 3 times a day. I might wash clothes every day or every other day. I only need 6 "outfits", but I have more than that. I can't answer the poll though because I don't exercise at a gym.

And I run the dishwasher even when it's not full, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Can we repeat this thread for hockey gear? That's possibly the worst "gym" smell I've ever experienced. Yet it always seemed to be bad luck to wash it during the season....
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
MnD

Post by MnD »

Work out everyday and throw the dirty cloths in the laundry hamper daily.
Often I'll wear a clean set of gym clothes for lounging around after work evenings and then work out in that set in the morning.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

I'll wear a shirt/shorts two times to the gym then wash. However I go to lift so while I do sweat a little it's not like doing a 30 minute spin class.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I wear a clean shirt every time, but usually only wash the shorts every third time or so.

The poll reminds me of middle school gym class. I think I wore the same shirt and shorts for gym class all year long without washing them. Boy did those stink.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I generally wear gym clothes unless I am going out with someone, friends, DW etc. They are comfortable, inexpensive and hey I'm retired so I can wear anything I damn well please. It also saves on dealing with the locker room at the gym.

So when I show up at the gym it's pretty much in clean clothes except maybe pants which I may have worn the previous day.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

In the gym, I wear t-shirt and shorts. I'm there for the weight machines and free weights, nothing else. My cardio is done out in the fresh air and sunshine, so I don't do much sweating.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

This topic is slightly freaking out the germaphobe in me. I sit on the weight benches and use the mats at the gym and there's no way I'm letting those cooties grow and multiply by wearing them more than once (or hanging them in the closet, keeping them in/on the dresser, etc. They go straight into the laundry basket (where they spread the cooties to the non-gym clothes, I imagine.) I don't even like wearing my gym clothes in the car on the way home - if I wear shorts in the gym, I typically change into pants for the drive home and wear a hoodie over my t-shirt. In the summer, I walk to/from the gym so the cooties stay out of the car.

Feel free to go ahead and laugh...
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

You know you've had a good workout if your shirt sticks when you throw it against the wall. Fresh every time.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

ResearchMed wrote:What about women who exercise at a Gym???
You think women don't sweat (er, "get dewey" :wink: ), or just don't bother with clean clothes?
(Also, wouldn't these answers seem to make a difference depending upon gym visit frequency - daily/every weekday, vs. once per week?)
RM
1. I posed the question for men because I am male AND I strongly suspect there may be significant differences between men and women on this topic.
2. At the county gym (actually several gyms) I use almost every day, there are probably as many women exercising as men. There are, it seems to me, just as many (perhaps more) women exercising with high intensity and sweating a lot.
3. Yes - answers may differ based on frequency of exercise, but I am interested in those who go multiple times a week.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Colorado13 wrote:This topic is slightly freaking out the germaphobe in me. I sit on the weight benches and use the mats at the gym and there's no way I'm letting those cooties grow and multiply by wearing them more than once (or hanging them in the closet, keeping them in/on the dresser, etc. They go straight into the laundry basket (where they spread the cooties to the non-gym clothes, I imagine.) I don't even like wearing my gym clothes in the car on the way home - if I wear shorts in the gym, I typically change into pants for the drive home and wear a hoodie over my t-shirt. In the summer, I walk to/from the gym so the cooties stay out of the car.
Feel free to go ahead and laugh...
Most (actually almost all) of the folks at the gyms I use are polite/considerate enough to wipe down exercise equipment after they use it. The gyms have ample supplies of rolled paper towels and spray bottles. I usually wipe down the equipment before I use it AND after, as well as the bench in the locker room.

There are showers and towel service at the gyms - so 99% of the time I shower there at the gym after exercise and change into regular clothes. if I go to the gym first thng in the morning (most common), I wear gym clothes going there and take the regular clothes with me. If I go later in the day, I have the gym clothes in a bag, change into exercise clothes - then shower after exercise.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Go three or four times a week. Fresh outfit every time. Reusing it is gross. Especially the dry fit shirts. If you can reuse the outfit after a workout maybe you're not doing it right?
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
leonard

Post by leonard »

New every time. Don't be the guy that's "gotten used to it" and works out next to someone.

This kind of stuff is exactly why I set up a home gym.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
IPer

Post by IPer »

I do yoga and use my own mat and rug. They are cleaned when they need to be. Thank you for reminding me why I really do NOT need
the gym, and reminding me how blessed it is to be able to just lay the mat and do the practice!
Read the Wiki Wiki !
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

New set of shirt, shorts/trunks and socks each visit (3 x week).

Life's tough, no need to make it tougher for my fellow humans by grossing them out :P
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Locked. Does not appear to be personal. From the posting guidelines for this subforum:
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.