Retirees: Do you work part-time for pay?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Retirees: Do you work part-time for pay?

Post by tennisplyr »

Curious how many fellow retirees work for pay part-time? What is it that you do, how many days a week and why are you doing it? Currently I am not but would consider it.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
The Wizard

Re: Retirees: Do you work part-time for pay?

Post by The Wizard »

I sort of am. With my former FT employer on something I'm familiar with. A whole 132 hours from mid September thru New Years. Same pay rate as previous.
It allowed me to max out my Roth IRA for 2014...
Attempted new signature...
furwut

Post by furwut »

Just completed my first year of retirement. I currently don't have a PT job but I'm thinking one would be a good idea for the future.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Shortly after I retired (10+ years ago) I thought that I had a need to stay busy (productive?) at something so I took the advice of a friend and wor*ed for a company that graded exams (scored tests?). As a degree was required to work there, I met a lot of smart, interesting folks. The best part of the job~ wo*king with great folks and the knowledge that I could walk out at any time and not look back. The worst part~ boring job. I only lasted a short while.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

Kind of. Retired last year at 53. I do some very occasional consulting on an hourly rate. In general, I find that I can't push the hourly rate high enough to where meeting client demands is actually worth the infringement on my free time. Since I charge clients a lot, I feel that I have to respond to them on their timescale, and it's just not worth it to me. On an hourly basis, it's quite lucrative, but in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't move the needle. I used the income last year to cover my health insurance costs and buy a fancy Mac. Probably wouldn't have bought the Mac, if I hadn't done the consulting work.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

i work 4 hours a week for 40 weeks a year-spread out as i want. it keeps me on the payroll -if i don't work for 120 days i'm terminated. i do this for several reasons.

1. i make a pretty high hourly rate

2. i use the income to pay for my medical insurance.

3.by staying on the payroll i'm still an employee and can exercise my stock options when they come due.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have been retired for 3.5 months. While I hold some credentials that would enable me to find a part-time or a full-time job fairly easily, I have absolutely no desire to use this ability. There is much more to life than working.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

We need to have a definition of retirees.

I am a professor and I only work 8 months each year. During the working months, I do not go to office every day, am I a retiree with a part-time job? (I do consider myself semi-retired. But that is just my opinion).
Last edited by flyingaway on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

If I did, I would not be retired :oops: ...

I could be considered semi-retired, pre-retired, somewhat retired, or any other term other than just plain retired.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retirement

Just my POV as a retiree, quickly approaching my 8th anniversary since my last paycheck (with no intention of ever getting another one in this lifetime) :mrgreen:

- Ron
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

This is how part time works where I live in the Coastal Carolinas;
You work on a golf course on Monday, a free round for every 4 hours...result tickets for 2 free rounds of golf
Tuesday you take your buddy and play golf....result you both play free
Wed Your buddy works on a golf course....tickets for 2 free rounds of golf
Thurs your buddy takes you to play golf.....result you both play free
So you work Monday and play golf Tues and Thurs.....Free except for the beer you drink after golf Tues and Thurs
That's known as a part time job.....Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Ron wrote:If I did, I would not be retired :oops: ...

I could be considered semi-retired, pre-retired, somewhat retired, or any other term other than just plain retired.

Just my POV as a retiree, quickly approaching my 8th anniversary since my last paycheck (with no intention of ever getting another one in this lifetime) :mrgreen:

- Ron
"the act of ending your working or professional career"

I'm not sure the definition you linked says one can't both work for money and be retired. First, not all work seems to me to constitute a "career." Second, what of a person who was engaged in a professional career and then ceases to be so engaged, even while doing other work?
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

gwrvmd wrote:This is how part time works where I live in the Coastal Carolinas;
You work on a golf course on Monday, a free round for every 4 hours...result tickets for 2 free rounds of golf
Tuesday you take your buddy and play golf....result you both play free
Wed Your buddy works on a golf course....tickets for 2 free rounds of golf
Thurs your buddy takes you to play golf.....result you both play free
So you work Monday and play golf Tues and Thurs.....Free except for the beer you drink after golf Tues and Thurs
That's known as a part time job.....Gordon
For the win!
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I plan to retire from my full time position this year, and will see patients only 2 or 3 days a week maximum.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I retired 6 months ago and have no intention or need to work for pay. If a friend came to me and said "Our company has a project we could use your help on for x # of days/weeks," I would consider it. (That very subject came up the other day when I was talking to a friend, but it was a hypothetical discussion, not a request.)

I do work for NO pay. Just made travel plans to spend 2 weeks in Florida doing laundry for great apes -- work you couldn't pay me to do.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Maybe the question can be (more meaningfully or not) asked as: Do you work for pay, after you reach financial independence?

A retiree can work full-time, part-time, zero-time, or essentially any percentage of time from 0 to 100, for pay or not.

An unemployed person can be considered as temporarily retired. A handyman may be considered as permanently fractionally retired (or employed).
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I go somewhere on Monday and Thursday and spend 7 hours doing something that I would do (and have done in the past) for free. Someone pays me a small fraction of the money that I could make doing in the same amount of time in my previous career. I don't need the money. Not sure what that counts as.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
Toons

Post by Toons »

No,but I do volunteer my services :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Retired for one year......like Victoria, possess several credentials that are still active....but at this time, have absolutely no desire to use them....but who knows, if that perfect consulting position appeared out of nowhere.....I might reconsider (like Lil' Abner mattress tester!).
Illegitimi non carborundum.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Retired 3 years ago at 55. Lasted a year and went and got my Real Estate license. I now work 10-15 hours per week and having fun.
When it quits being fun I'll retire again.
RoxieII

Post by RoxieII »

We both volunteer for about 15 hours a week in the winter in state parks and that gives us lot rent, electricity and water for free. We are frugal, retired snow birds. No money to us, but it saves us money and we enjoy helping out the parks.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

I've doing it for 8.5 years.Work the front desk in the local public library anywhere from 12 to 19 hrs a week.
All the Best, | Joe
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

I work as an Adjunct Professor teaching two classes online each semester. Keeps me involved with science & sharp minds.
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

I retired from my legal career at the end of September 2013 (age 47).

I still do a bit of part time consulting (250 target hours a year). While a bit of extra money is nice, it's not needed - I am doing this because I enjoy it. If I stop enjoying it, I'll stop doing it. If something more interesting comes up, I'll switch. If it interferes with my retirement activities, I'll stop.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

joe8d wrote:I've doing it for 8.5 years.Work the front desk in the local public library anywhere from 12 to 19 hrs a week.
TIP: Do something totally different in retirement than you did for your regular career.I was an engineer.
All the Best, | Joe
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I just got a ticket for ShmooCon 2015, "an annual east coast hacker convention hell-bent on offering three days of an interesting atmosphere for demonstrating technology exploitation, inventive software and hardware solutions, and open discussions of critical infosec issues."

The conference was sold out before I found out about it. But being retired and flexible, including not being tied up by a part-time job, I was able to pick up a last-minute return.

Life is good.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Toons

Post by Toons »

joe8d wrote:
joe8d wrote:I've doing it for 8.5 years.Work the front desk in the local public library anywhere from 12 to 19 hrs a week.
TIP: Do something totally different in retirement than you did for your regular career.I was an engineer.

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
greenfire

Post by greenfire »

I retired from full time work as a professor at a community college in the spring of 2013 at age 59 because of a cancer diagnosis (and having to go through a full year of treatment), also being the full time caregiver of my 94 year old mother who 8 months ago lost the ability to walk . I have continued to teach one or two online classes each semester as an adjunct professor. I spend about 30 minutes each day going this. I'm doing it partly so that I have at least some income, and also because I don't want to feel too indolent. I still feel that I have something to contribute.
SGM

Post by SGM »

Retired since August, I do not work part-time. I did work part-time for about 3 years. However with the advent of comprehensive electronic health records, my part time work became too time consuming and clerical. I understand that physician volunteers at a local clinic have to use EHRs , so I think I will not volunteer either. I would rather spend my time learning new skills in completely different areas.

A close friend who retired as a military chemical officer, teaches chemistry sections part-time at a local university. This does not seem to have any impact on his ability to do sailing, curling, traveling, learning Chinese and Japanese or cooking. He has had to give up hockey and jumping out of airplanes, but that is more of a matter of brittle bones.
midareff

Post by midareff »

retired since April 1, 2012. I've been so busy doing nothing that I can't seem to finish all the nothing I have to do, even in a long day. This morning, for example, I'm trying to finish up all the nothing I couldn't get to yesterday. Problem is... we going to the movies in an hour or two and then out to lunch so I'll probably fall even further behind. Worse yet, I've got a new camera lens to test shoot and some camera software profiles to review so I may not get much of a chance to get to today's nothing, and may not even finish yesterday's. Tomorrow is Friday and I'll have to finish all the nothing I couldn't get to from Wednesday and Thursday before I can even get to watering the plants, reading the news, checking blogs, listening to music, taking pictures, exercising and all the other things that keep getting in the way of my finishing each day's allotment of doing nothing. The more nothing I try to do the further behind I fall in the nothing I'm supposed to have to do. Terrible situation I tell you. Can't imagine how I ever had the time to go to work.

On a more serious note, I was offered consulting work and declined. I worked from my Freshman year in college through age 64. 46 years in all and work part-time now? Forgetaboutit, too busy doing nothing and catching up to all the nothing I haven't got to do yet. Not income needy either.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Ron wrote:If I did, I would not be retired :oops: ...

- Ron
Same here. I have been retired for 6 years and have no desire to work again. My money works for me, not the other way around.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

midareff wrote:retired since April 1, 2012. I've been so busy doing nothing that I can't seem to finish all the nothing I have to do, even in a long day. This morning, for example, I'm trying to finish up all the nothing I couldn't get to yesterday. Problem is... we going to the movies in an hour or two and then out to lunch so I'll probably fall even further behind. Worse yet, I've got a new camera lens to test shoot and some camera software profiles to review so I may not get much of a chance to get to today's nothing, and may not even finish yesterday's. Tomorrow is Friday and I'll have to finish all the nothing I couldn't get to from Wednesday and Thursday before I can even get to watering the plants, reading the news, checking blogs, listening to music, taking pictures, exercising and all the other things that keep getting in the way of my finishing each day's allotment of doing nothing. The more nothing I try to do the further behind I fall in the nothing I'm supposed to have to do. Terrible situation I tell you. Can't imagine how I ever had the time to go to work.

On a more serious note, I was offered consulting work and declined. I worked from my Freshman year in college through age 64. 46 years in all and work part-time now? Forgetaboutit, too busy doing nothing and catching up to all the nothing I haven't got to do yet. Not income needy either.
Sorry, could not resist!
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Zero interest in work of any sort for pay in retirement. However, I do volunteer at various nonprofits that support my environmental interests.

Still love the reply of former NFL coach Bum Phillips when asked what he does in retirement: "Nothin'. And I don't start doing that until noon."
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Retired a year, I have more $$ than I need but I started doing some work to support an old client who was always one of my favorites. It's enjoyable, lucrative, stimulating and provides travel opportunities to a very nice part of the world so it works for me.
camptalcott

Post by camptalcott »

Nice replies everyone.

I'm definitely interested in the replies, I'm considering retiring in the next few years but I admit I'm really scared to take the plunge. I have enough financially and I hate my job so I think it's definitely time to move on but I'm only 54, and don't know what I'd do with myself.

:annoyed
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

H retired in 2012 and was rehired 4 weeks later to work another 6 months. I'm running a nonprofit that is mostly volunteer but I do draw a miniscule stipend every quarter (so I can do a backdoor Roth ira). It's still fun, so I still do it. Will stop when it is no longer fun. We have more than enough $$$ and time to do what we like, including travel, spend time with family and loved ones, etc.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

My retired father has always been a car guy so in retirement he works at the local Ford dealership picking up cars at auction and bringing them back to the dealer. He likes the camraderie of riding to the auction in a van with 3-4 similiarly old guys....and then gets to drive the Fords back to the dealer....and he makes some spending money.

Best of all, it keeps him out of my mom's hair. :)
Last edited by Flashes1 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
trasmuss

Post by trasmuss »

I retired about 2 1/2 years ago at age 62 1/2. I started working part time about 2 years ago for the city I live in. It is only a 3 mile commute about 5 minutes on city streets (vs. the 30 mile commute I had on congested freeways before retirement). The pay isn't much better than minimum wage. I set up meeting rooms, clean windows, and wipe down tables in a city center (along with answering questions from the public). I don't need money but it provides exercise (especially nice on cold Minnesota days) and is only 10-15 hours a week (2-3 days). I can get off any time I wish for vacations.

At this point I don't plan on leaving. Grandkids are keeping us from being snowbirds. Maybe in a few years we'll feel like having winters someplace warm and I'll leave. Or I'll decide to at least take summers off.

I spent my career in computer support. I enjoy doing manual labor and the wages are irrelevant.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Yes :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

camptalcott wrote:I'm definitely interested in the replies, I'm considering retiring in the next few years but I admit I'm really scared to take the plunge. I have enough financially and I hate my job so I think it's definitely time to move on but I'm only 54, and don't know what I'd do with myself.

:annoyed
The following was posted on another forum years ago and I still find it relevant for those considering retirement, but afraid of doing so after decades of living a "you must" lifestyle:

"It's not the beginning of the end.....it's the end of the beginning....only the end of one single chapter in life......there are many more chapters yet to be written....by you! You are you now, and you will continue to be you after retiring. The only major difference will be that you no longer will have a job to clutter or clog your mind and/or life! You'll no longer have to meet someone else's standards.....you get to set your own standards, and achieve whatever you want to achieve.

Your job is not who you are, it's merely been a means to reach the beginning of a new chapter in your life.....the beginning of a new journey.

It's like you drive to the airport....but the airport isn't your destination. At the airport you board a plane....but the plane isn't your destination. The plane drops you off in some port city.....but that port city isn't your destination. In the port city you hop aboard a cruise ship.....but the cruise ship isn't your destination. The cruise ship take you to some tropical paradise......and it can go on and on and on, limited only by your desires and your imagination. Each step is just a tiny piece of puzzle of your life's journey. As you keep pressing forward, the past will gradually fade into the distance.....not necessarily forgotten, but rather just not as important as the present. I remember the past, but I don't live there....and I look forward to the future, but I haven't reached it yet....so I just live each moment for all it's worth, and life is great!

I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?" My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid.....before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime....whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!"

No need to fear....come on in! The water's great!!!"

- Ron
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

As I am reading the responses, I am struck by a significant cultural influence on people's decisions about work when they don't need it financially. In the U.S., there is no culture of a volunteer healthy retirement and people cling to jobs, any jobs, as the means of self-fulfillment.

In contrast, in Europe, there is a strong culture of leisure with many potential peers when one is ready. I like the concept of a flâneur that Taleb brings up in his books. Someone who meets with friends in cafes, thinks about high matters, and defines his own studies that are independent of main-stream thinking and funding.

Perhaps, I should come to France during time when tourists are mostly out, the French are mostly in, and the weather is conducive to sitting outdoors. As an experiment, I'll try to live a life of a flâneur for a couple weeks to see how it really works.

Victoria
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Do you work part-time for pay?
Been retired for nine years, since age 55. It has been the best years of my life.

If part-time suits you, go right ahead, but I'm too busy for that. I might want to nap after lunch, so work doesn't fit my retirement life.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I was 54 when I retired. I thought of getting a part-time job and I thought of doing volunteer work. Then I realized I had had it with being responsible.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed some off-topic posts which delved into work-ethic and socio-economic status of some European countries. It was derailing the thread.

Please remain focused on the personal aspects of the question; do you work part-time for pay?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Retired means no work for pay.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin »

Not me.

Retirement was about reclaiming my brain. I spend my days in retirement contemplating whatever Alvin wants to think. This brain is no longer for hire. That is true freedom.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I took up tax prep to keep my mind active and it'll be 15-25 hours a week, fluctuating through the season. I like that it'll come to a dead stop after April 15, and there are lots of opportunities to work my way up in expertise with online classes. I already knew some people in the office and it's been pretty collegial so far and more social than my last job.

I consider myself "retired" because should the employer tell me I'm not needed, make too many mistakes or don't push product enough, I could just say Fine. Don't need the money.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I work part-time. For me, I don't think working 0 hours per week would be better than working 10 hours per week. Maybe it's because I haven't quite figured out what to do with myself in retirement. I already travel as much as I care to (about 9 weeks per year)
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

VictoriaF wrote:I have been retired for 3.5 months. While I hold some credentials that would enable me to find a part-time or a full-time job fairly easily, I have absolutely no desire to use this ability. There is much more to life than working.

Victoria
+1
chaz

Post by chaz »

Dasnyc wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I have been retired for 3.5 months. While I hold some credentials that would enable me to find a part-time or a full-time job fairly easily, I have absolutely no desire to use this ability. There is much more to life than working.

Victoria
+1
+2
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page