boglehead workout

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
investorguy1

boglehead workout

Post by investorguy1 »

I'm looking for exercise workout that is the equivalent of the 3 fund portfolio. Something simple, easy, accessible, not too time consuming, low cost etc.
JamesSFO

Re: boglehead workout

Post by JamesSFO »

NYTimes 7 minute workout - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... kout/?_r=0

There is an App for it too I believe.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

How big is your bathroom? Put dumbbells in the tub since you always take a shower anyways. Use the dumbbells every time you use the bathroom.

Then there is the oatmeal workout as described in this post:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 6#p2242366

Add some side planks and push-ups, then you are done.

There is also the pull-ups thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=125752 That thread was really motivating. I could only do 1 pull-up when it was started, but now I can do 8.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
investorguy1

Post by investorguy1 »

JamesSFO wrote:NYTimes 7 minute workout - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... kout/?_r=0

There is an App for it too I believe.
"seven minutes of steady discomfort " sounds good. :D
but seriously does sound like what I described thanks
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I prefer lifting. Free weights and a rack will cost you $500-1000 one time. Stronglifts 5x5 is an efficient workout, which takes about 2 hours a week for me. The catch is that you need a fair amount of space.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

livesoft wrote:There is also the pull-ups thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=125752 That thread was really motivating. I could only do 1 pull-up when it was started, but now I can do 8.
Was motivating? I resurrected the thread. :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Hey, where is the aerobic (extended cardiovascular effort) contribution in these workouts?.....try walking, get an exercise bike or a rowing machine or a treadmill....5 times a week for 30 minutes each (get a doctor's OK first).....unfortunately folks....... "There is no royal road to complete physical fitness" (many apologies to Euclid).
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

Body weight exercises are great for this: push ups, pull ups, squats, dips, lunges and crunches. There are several free 30 day challenge programs for each of these exercises where each day you increase the difficulty. You can break the above exercises into 2 sets of 3 and alternate which you do each day, should take about 20 minutes a day and you will build great overall fitness, ideally you should throw 2-3 periods of 30-60 minutes of cardio in as well.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I really enjoy lifting free weights, but I have to admit that a hardcore body weight routine is more bogleheadish.

P.S. I walk my dog for cardio.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I've gotten some nice stuff from You Are Your Own Gym (which is an app as well as a book) and the very comprehensive exrx.net website.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Walk regularly and often.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

I've been lifting almost 20 years and I was also going to say the stronglifts 5x5 is a boggleheadish routine for someone starting weight training at a gym. 5 exercises total, done 3 at a time, 3-4 days per week. Roughly one hour needed to complete a session. Only need a floor, squat rack, and flat bench. Simplicity while providing diversity of muscles worked. Exactly like a 3 fund portfolio.
tarheal93

Post by tarheal93 »

Have been using the Power 90 system for 11 years. This is the predecessor of the P90X. Simply two tapes and you alternate days. Simple and not boring. I have recorded the audio on a IP3 player and now use while watching the news or sports. It is available for a low cost and if far less complicated than the P90X or other systems. Good luck.
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

I've used insanity by sean t, it's very good if you don't mind jumping around like a fool in your living room/basement for 40minutes. Great cardio and power body weight workouts. Accessible for all fitness levels.

I could make an argument for it being a 3fund portfolio type workout, but it'd be just as easy to make an equally valid argument for why it's nothing like a 3fund portfolio workout, so I'll save my breath.
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Squats/dead lift, bench press, pull-ups, dips. Sprints before and after. Total body workout.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
Minsc

Post by Minsc »

Check out starting strength. Just need a gym with power rack. It has followers that are as rabid as bogleheads. It is a great program that gets you into weights starting with the bar and working up.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ength_Wiki
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

P90X3

Period
jimboman

Post by jimboman »

For myself, I cycle to work, since the route is amenable to cycling and not too distant from home.

This has the benefit of reducing my spending on fuel and car maintenance, it's efficient for my time, and a decent bike and gear aren't very expensive either. I find it very efficient and Bogleheaded.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Investerguy wrote:I'm looking for exercise workout that is the equivalent of the 3 fund portfolio. Something simple, easy, accessible, not too time consuming, low cost etc.
For me, a Boglehead workout would and should contain the major components:

Cardio
Upper body
Lower body
Core
Flexibility

It would be low cost, in other words, no membership required or fancy equipment necessary. Maybe 30 minutes a few times a week, unless you want to spend more time.

Once you figure out what works for you, then you set it and forget it. In other words, just do it on a regular basis. Forever.

And finally, as you age, you modify the routine so that it's still viable, do-able, and serves you well.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

mbk734 wrote:Squats/dead lift, bench press, pull-ups, dips. Sprints before and after. Total body workout.
I'd add shoulder press, rows (upright and bent over), and sit-up/crunch/knees-to-elbows to this list.

Strong lifts 5x5. +1
Starting Strength by Ripitoe is. Good book.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

I do aerobic one day and anaerobic the following day. Very simple. Run four miles one day, then strength training using my own body weight on the following day. They say moderate levels of exertion are optimum.

But then they also say calorie restriction is the only scientifically established way to slow aging.
Last edited by Bustoff on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

With any workout related question, you'll get a thousand different opinions, many of which include effective advice.

Regardless of the routine, I feel the important thing is that whatever you pick, pick something that you can consistently see yourself doing, without fail, for the next 20 years. The greatest workout routine in the world is ineffective if you only keep it up for 2 or 3 years.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

My workout today is pushing and then shoveling 5 inches of snow, doing that twice at 2-3 inches.
My spring, summer and fall workout is daily yard and garden work including landscaping. In summer I mow the lawn every week.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

climber2020 wrote:With any workout related question, you'll get a thousand different opinions, many of which include effective advice.

Regardless of the routine, I feel the important thing is that whatever you pick, pick something that you can consistently see yourself doing, without fail, for the next 20 years. The greatest workout routine in the world is ineffective if you only keep it up for 2 or 3 years.
Yes.... YES. A Boglehead Workout would, by definition, include "STAY THE COURSE".
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
leonard

Post by leonard »

HIT (High intensity training) weight routine.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Any program where you use barbells and progressive overload. I messed around in the gym for years and didn't get as far as I got doing this for three months. Eventually I switched to the 5/3/1 program. Currently I squat around 350, bench 265, deadlift 425 at a bodyweight of about 175. Another 160 pounds added among the three before I'm at my 1,200 pound interim goal.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

The nice thing about starting strength or stronglifts is it really builds functional strength. Yes, it will help aesthetically as well, though if that's truly what you're after, there are probably more targeted programs to get you the washboard and big guns. But building functional strength helps with every day activities, working in the yard, picking things up (and putting them down), etc. It also helps build your leg and core strength which will be of great help in avoiding back issues. For instance, I let dead lifts fall out of my routine for about 10 years. In my early 30s (35 now) my back really started getting creaky, and it probably didn't help that I had some muscle imbalance in that I fell for the typical male trap of overtraining the upper body. My back would get sore after about an hours worth of standing around, and my hobby of leaning over car engine bays in contortionist manners would kill me for a couple days following. I started deadlifting again, doing sets of 135lb and just adding 5lbs more each visit. A year later I'm now up to 315lb on my heavy set, and my back feels far better than it has in years.
aziammaiza

Post by aziammaiza »

Can't say I always look forward to a trip to the gym but I almost always feel better after it - even if it's less than 30 mins (five to jack up heart rate, twenty to do pull/chin ups,free weights and/or machines, push ups and the remainder to stretch).

For anyone interested, I would recommend the Five Tibetans (google it) as, pound for pound, I've found it to be the most effective way to maintain high energy levels and flexibility - and for less than 20 mins a day. Please, though, overlook some of the more outlandish claims (such as "your hair will never turn grey" - I've done this program every day for over twenty years and my hair is nothing other than grey).

JMO
leonard

Post by leonard »

Triple digit golfer wrote:Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Any program where you use barbells and progressive overload. I messed around in the gym for years and didn't get as far as I got doing this for three months. Eventually I switched to the 5/3/1 program. Currently I squat around 350, bench 265, deadlift 425 at a bodyweight of about 175. Another 160 pounds added among the three before I'm at my 1,200 pound interim goal.
Wife and I are doing the 5/3/1 right now. Did a Westside variant before that.

Those are nice results you have achieved.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I am one of those who believe in Strong Lifts just as strongly as I believe in bogleheads philsophy.

Wife and I went through last year (wasn't my first time but I wanted my wife to complete it and we workout together) her results were amazing (mine were great but I was not a starting lifter so the improvements were not as substantial).

The good thing about Strong Lifts is you learn:
how to lift properly/safely starting with a low weight AND warmup sets
what it feels like to push your limits (a key requirement for lifting, ie progressive overload as mentioned before)
I thought it made working out fun- after 1 month or so you get excited to get in the gym and see if you can push the next 5lbs with each workout- imagine getting 5x5 bench at 285lbs and then coming in 4 days later and pushing yourself up to 290- for me that was a great feeling
How sticking with a workout program for 3 months can completely change your physique (coupled with eating well- look into carb cycling and just do it)
Equipment needed: bench, squat rack, barbell and plate weights- some of the most rarely used things in a commercial gym and the best things to buy if you want a home gym

There are also good transition programs for when you finish 5x5. Moving on to 5/3/1 etc are all great ways to continue the physical transformation you will experience.

Edit-
Almost forgot- it helps you to stay out of the gym. One of the biggest noob mistakes is overtraining. Stronglifts is 3 days a week of lifting- that't it- that is all you need. Go for a hike or play some flag football if you need something else but don't over train in the gym if you are within your first 2 years of lifting. Don't be a "day trainer"
leonard

Post by leonard »

One thing I'll highlight where exercise can't be "bogleheadish" for most trainees is "Staying the course".

Most people on an exercise program will need to switch things up to keep improving. Most trainees will eventually stall on any given weight program and need to switch to a new one.

Sticking with a program too long (Staying the course) can cause people to plateau.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Walking. Risk of injury is low, easy to incorporate in just about any other activity you have to do. No fancy clothes or equipment necessary, unless you find yourself wanting a treadmill (which I recommend, I use the heck out of mine).

I walk 15,000 steps a day. This is about 10,000 steps (5 miles) more than a typical day in a sedentary job.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

bungalow10 wrote:Walking. Risk of injury is low, easy to incorporate in just about any other activity you have to do. No fancy clothes or equipment necessary, unless you find yourself wanting a treadmill (which I recommend, I use the heck out of mine).

I walk 15,000 steps a day. This is about 10,000 steps (5 miles) more than a typical day in a sedentary job.
+1

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Jonezez

Post by Jonezez »

Investerguy wrote:I'm looking for exercise workout that is the equivalent of the 3 fund portfolio. Something simple, easy, accessible, not too time consuming, low cost etc.
This made me chuckle. Boglehead approach to non-financial matters I suppose means simple, consistent, cost-effective.

I think it depends on your goals. For overall health reasons, then I echo the NYTImes 7 minute workout. Just started to do this at work during my lunch break; the app is very useful.
Walking is also simple and effective with low risk for injury or damage to joints.

If it's for building muscle mass or losing weight, the above options may not be as effective as some of the others people have mentioned.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Jonezez wrote:
This made me chuckle. Boglehead approach to non-financial matters I suppose means simple, consistent, cost-effective.

I think it depends on your goals. For overall health reasons, then I echo the NYTImes 7 minute workout. Just started to do this at work during my lunch break; the app is very useful.
Walking is also simple and effective with low risk for injury or damage to joints.

If it's for building muscle mass or losing weight, the above options may not be as effective as some of the others people have mentioned.
I started walking 15,000 steps/day last September. I've lost 10 lbs (145 to 135, I wasn't overweight to begin with). At the same time, a handful of coworkers started running. One ran a few 5ks, quit. Two others never even got to 5k. I think for overall mileage, unless someone is committed to being a serious runner, the best results for most people can be achieved by adding 4-5 miles/day of walking. IMO, this would be an improvement for 90% of the people in the US, maybe more.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

My wife's program:

Walk 4 x per week with neighborhood girlfriends, about 5 miles per day. Winter is an issue with this program due to snow, ice, cold. I gave her a FitBit monitoring program for Christmas.

My program:
YMCA - Stationary bike 4-5 x per week for 51 minutes, followed by pushups, crunches, and a series of resistance bands. Return home and if I am feeling it do a series of Kettlebell excercizes. I also have the resistance band in my office and attempt to do a set everytime I walk downstairs. From April - November I move outdoors for biking...usually about 70 minutes. I use an online calorie counter for monitoring exercize and food consumption. When I do this...it works. When I do not, then the weight creeps back on.

Ed
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

Starting Strength and run or bike three times a week.

This covers everything and it works.

Walking/step counting/"7 minute workouts" will give you enough cardio that you won't get winded walking on level ground or climbing a flight of stairs, but the analogy to Bogleheads would be putting pennies in a swear jar imo.
Last edited by hiddensee on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fakin' the funk

Post by fakin' the funk »

If you buy a set of weight-adjustable dumbbells and a chinup bar you can do a full body, mostly bodyweight workout.

Pullups, pushups, situps, curls, mil press, lunges/squats, "mountain climbers," calf raises, etc etc. They're in a quick jog and some stretching and you've got strength, cardio, flexibility covered.
Jonezez

Post by Jonezez »

bungalow10 wrote:
Jonezez wrote:

I started walking 15,000 steps/day last September. I've lost 10 lbs (145 to 135, I wasn't overweight to begin with). At the same time, a handful of coworkers started running. One ran a few 5ks, quit. Two others never even got to 5k. I think for overall mileage, unless someone is committed to being a serious runner, the best results for most people can be achieved by adding 4-5 miles/day of walking. IMO, this would be an improvement for 90% of the people in the US, maybe more.
That's an impressive amount of weight from an already good starting point of 145 pounds. Walking is very underrated. 15,000 steps/day is no small feat and does require discipline. I realized this when I downloaded the pedometer app for my phone and noticed so many "red" bars (indicating < 10,000 steps in a day), usually correlated with working days. Some days I even had only 2,000 steps/day.

In 2014, there were so many news stories about how sitting is the new smoking with regard to being bad for your health. There is probably a lot of truth to that.
david99

Post by david99 »

I jog three times a week and do strength training three times a week.