What do you drive, and why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

What do you drive, and why?

Post by tc101 »

I'll start.

I drive a 2003 Ford Crown Vic with about 120K miles. I bought it when it was 3 years old in 2006.

I drive it because -
It has great leg room and I am tall and have long legs
It is reliable. Mechanics tell me what great cars Crown Vics are
It is big and feels comfortable and safe
I like the way it feels

I am thinking about a new car because -
It is 11 years old and will eventually become less reliable.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
stoptothink

Re: What do you drive, and why?

Post by stoptothink »

Our primary vehicle is a '09 Hyundai accent. My truck was totaled by a hit and run driver about 3yrs ago, I only had liability insurance so it was a total loss. I had $11k in my emergency fund and wasn't about to spend more. It was the cheapest way to get me from point a to point B, reliably and for a long time.

We also have a '99 crown victoria. It was my wife's when we married. Next day after we married, I mailed a check to pay it off. I hate the car, everything electronic has failed on me in the past year, but it is paid off, mechanically we have had no issues, and its gets driven maybe 100 miles a month. It should be our 2nd vehicle for at least a few more years.

When it isn't snowing, or about half the year, I commute by bike. Wife drives the Hyundai every day.
sramina

Post by sramina »

My wife and I have a 2004 Honda Civic which has been great. It was fairly cheap, gets good gas mileage, and has minimal problems. The only problem is that it is a tiny bit too small for me and the backseat is cramped for our guests as well.

I currently ride my bike everywhere; however, I think I will end up needing to get a car soon. I am currently looking at a Prius or a Honda Fit. They are both small cars with good gas mileage as well; but they are a little more versatile than the Civic.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I understand that many law enforcement agencies have been looking for a replacement tor the Crown Vic and may have now settled on the Ford Explorer.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/24/ford ... olice-car/
It may not be to your liking, but it does seem to have the characteristics you are looking for.
I drive an SUV and a pickup for some of the same reasons.
Bob
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

2000 Nissan Altima. I bought it because Tom and Ray (Click and Clack the Tappet Bros. - Car Talk) said if you wanted the quality of a Camry or Honda Accord but wanted to save a few $Ks, it was the best choice. I love this car. It is my first new car and has 150K on it. No trouble.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
stan1

Post by stan1 »

2010 BMW 335d

I bought it because -
It is fun to drive (w/ 425 lb-ft of torque)
I don't like driving big vehicles
I like a car with tight and responsive steering and some road feel
I got a diesel tax credit and a rebate so out the door cost was a good deal
I was able to pick it up in Munich and drove it on along the Deutsche Alpenstrasse for a week

I am expecting to drive it for another 4-5 years (with some maintenance costs). I negotiated a good deal on an extended warranty but so far have not needed it. My next car will probably not be of German origin. It is fun to drive, but as I get closer to retirement my priorities will shift to a different type of fun.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Removed by OP
Last edited by Pizzasteve510 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

2015 CRV,,,,Why? The review below speaks to many of the reasons,,,have owned a Civic,Fit and Crv in the past.They speak for themselves. :happy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... onda_CR-V/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Gill

Post by Gill »

stan1 wrote:I negotiated a good deal on an extended warranty but so far have not needed it.
That's why most of us don't buy extended warranties. :happy
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

CABob wrote:I understand that many law enforcement agencies have been looking for a replacement tor the Crown Vic and may have now settled on the Ford Explorer.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/24/ford ... olice-car/
It may not be to your liking, but it does seem to have the characteristics you are looking for.
I drive an SUV and a pickup for some of the same reasons.
The charger is actually more commonly used to replace the crown vic. Interceptor and patrol vehicles need speed and handling suvs just can't offer. Departments are also expanding their lineup to include suvs and in some cases trucks.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

2009 Nissan Versa. The most inexpensive car in America and has amazing room for a subcompact.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 »

I drive a '59 Lotus 7, because, well, I can. And I am am guarenteed of never seeing another one sitting at a red light.
Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker »

Day to day running around and to and from work in good to decent weather, 2005 carolla with 256000 miles on it, 35 MPG all day long. Its terrible in the snow and ice and so….2014 Sierra truck for winter driving and hauling my boat. Will put 5-9 K per year on it depending if I drive it to Canada or not. Old truck was 2007 and nothing but trouble, finally couldn't take it any longer so "got a deal" :? on a new one. Very nice truck, good mileage for a truck… I drive approx 50 miles to work each day…
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Gill wrote:
stan1 wrote:I negotiated a good deal on an extended warranty but so far have not needed it.
That's why most of us don't buy extended warranties. :happy
Gill
I wouldn't have done it for a Honda/Toyota, but when BMW turbo repairs can run up to $10K I decided it was worth $3K to insure. I'll let you know in two more years whether it was a good bet. Given that this is a BMW I'm still pretty confident I'll come out ahead. All of this was factored in when I made the decision to buy the car back in 2010.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
gator15

Post by gator15 »

2002 Toyota runner with 200k miles. I use it for winter driving and hauling gear for the various outdoor activities I participate in. Great vehicle as it's reliable. I recently spent $1k for routine maintenance but expect the vehicle to last another 50k to 100k miles.

2009 BMW M3. I love exotic cars and this is as close as I will get to owning one. It's tons of fun to drive and it's pretty fast as well.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

2008 Cadillac CTS. Love that car and I plan on owning it another 7 or so years.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

When I'm not eating generic Cheerio's off the floor trying to be frugal I drive a '14 Nissan Versa.

Our other car is an '07 Ridgeline. I went through a decade of leasing a new BMW every 2 years and finally went through withdrawal...
G12

Post by G12 »

I got a 2014 Ford Flex SEL a few months ago after driving a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder for 12+ years. Added a third dog and the interior of the Pathfinder just wasn't big enough for taking long trips to trials, plus the seats in the Flex are much more comfortable and better safety features. Although it's bigger the Flex gets better MPG on the highway and uses regular unleaded instead of premium, but some days I miss the Pathfinder as it was a very dependable vehicle and easy to get around in the city. Kind of like a go cart vs a mini-bus. :wink:
sambb

Post by sambb »

I have owned all of the european brands. At least most of them. I most purchased a 1.5 yr old awd lexus because it is the most reliable brand i can find. I have gone from M series BMWs and porsche to toyota camry and accord and BMW convertible. Some people ask, "how can you go from a porsche to a camry?". The point is, that all cars have their pros and cons. I buy preowned ones that are popular models, and they sell very easily when one gets bored. I am not emotionally attached.

Sometimes i downgrade, sometimes i upgrade. However, i find that i lose minimal amount of money by buying preowned with < 20,000 miles, and i shop near end of month. Gives me a lot of freedom to switch around. I very much like having all of the safety gizmos though (blind spot monitor, etc.) I won't go back on those things.

Shortest I had a car was a preowned BMW for 5 months. Sold for 500 less than i paid for it. I didn't want to get new tires on it, which would have cost $1500..

One thing is for sure - accords and camrys sell used in an instant. I find that the market to sell those cars is amazing. Rarely have to budge on price. The worst to sell is, by far, M series BMWs. Everyone loves the ad, but most don't like the harsh suspension and too many kids want to test drive. Lastly, when i buy or sell, i notice that "options" are really a poor contributor to resale. In a BMW or porsche, one can easily get 10k in options. When it is time to sell, very few people care about the options, since there are "poorly optioned" cars for 5k-8k less in price. Color is big. Maintenance history matters. Options - less so. So don't expect a quick sale if you are trying to get money back for options.

I don't drive cars into the ground, so buying used has given me great flexibility in switching cars. Last car, prior to lexus was a BMW convertible that I kept for 8 months last year, and sold as the fall moved in. Got my current AWD lexus for last winter. Great car and timing.

I wish i could drive a car into the ground, but i like my current situation better. i never keep a porsche or mercedes or european car if it needs its 30k or 60k service - too expensive. I plan around that and sell prior. Same with tires.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I drive a Mercedes C250. I lease it for about $600 a month. That includes all maintenance. When it gets to 45,000 miles, I take it back and get another one.

It drives well, and is not too flashy. I like it a lot.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
matjen

Post by matjen »

Looks like gator15 and I have similar tastes/desires/needs. I like smaller vehicles that handle very well and have good throttle response. As I have aged I have begun to care much more about the tech in the cars so things like NAV, bluetooth, stereo, etc.

2003 Porsche Boxster S - because it is a classic mid-engined convertible sports car with a dash of luxury as well. One of the best handling cars you can get that won't break your back or bank account (if purchased used like I did).

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i Msport (with Dinan Tune) - Fits my needs for 4-5 seats, OK cargo, sports stuff, and winter driving. Has a world class 8-speed automatic (with paddles should I desire to play) for putzing around and decent mileage. When I step on it, the tuned 4 banger turbo puts out 311 hp and 328 tq. I believe it is the last BMW to retain hydraulic steering...a good thing for handling feel.
Last edited by matjen on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

2005 Toyota Camry SE. V-6 and leather interior. Most comfortable for me of the usual suspects in the sedan category (I'm 6-5) and has good power and road feel for a daily driver type car. It's paid for, running well and so no reason to change!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I drive an SUV with about 50K miles. I bought it when it was 4 years old in 2014.

I drive it because
It was easy to buy with no hassles and no thinking.
It allows me to drive on mildly flooded roads filled with debris from hurricanes.
It allows me to jump curbs and go around big obstacles.
It is extremely reliable.
It is big and feels comfortable and safe with even knee airbags.
It can go fast very smoothly and stop on a dime and leave change.
It is very quiet inside.
It gets great gas mileage.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
matjen

Post by matjen »

livesoft wrote:I drive an SUV with about 50K miles. I bought it when it was 4 years old in 2014.

I drive it because
It was easy to buy with no hassles and no thinking.
It allows me to drive on mildly flooded roads filled with debris from hurricanes.
It allows me to jump curbs and go around big obstacles.
It is extremely reliable.
It is big and feels comfortable and safe with even knee airbags.
It can go fast very smoothly and stop on a dime and leave change.
It is very quiet inside.
It gets great gas mileage.
I sense someone is afraid to "admit" they own a Lexus. Amirite?
wahnfried

Post by wahnfried »

'09 mercedes e 350 ,love the car , always liked Mercedes, luxurious but not too flashy, nothing beats the view of the road with a star on the hood... :happy
will keep it for a few more years, then buy another benz.
wahnfried
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

matjen wrote:I sense someone is afraid to "admit" they own a Lexus. Amirite?
I own 2 Lexus SUVs. Many people on the forum already know that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
matjen

Post by matjen »

livesoft wrote:
matjen wrote:I sense someone is afraid to "admit" they own a Lexus. Amirite?
I own 2 Lexus SUVs. Many people on the forum already know that.
I gave my 1998 Lexus GS400 (with 210,000 CITY miles) to my 16 year old nephew this summer. Best car I ever owned. Would have seriously considered the new NX200 (in either sport or perhaps hybrid trim) but couldn't wait for a new car any longer and picked the BMW X1 instead.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I drive a 2004 Honda CR-V that I bought in 2003.

My DW was pregnant with our first child. Earlier in the year we were trapped in our house for 4 days due to snow. I had a Saturn, and she had a Civic. I go stuck in front of my house. A neighbor helped push me out. I then could not make it up the driveway which I had just shoveled. I had to shovel again to get into the garage. It was an amazing snow storm.

1. Car with ground clearance.
2. All wheel drive.

We did not want to get trapped again. I have never had an issue since.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife drives a 2012 Supercharged Range Rover. She drives it because it gets to fast very quickly and stops very quickly. It is more comfortable than any chair or sofa in our house.

Kid #1 drives a 2013 Volvo XC60.
Kid #2 drives a 2015.5 Volvo XC60.
Both kids drive those cars because Mom and Dad said so. We said so because of their safety features.

I drive a 2007 normally aspirated Range Rover. It was a hand-me-down from my wife. I drive it because it was the last vehicle moving after a flood a few years back, because it drives well in snow, because it's banged up and doesn't stick out at a hockey rink parking lot, because it's very comfortable, and because my wife told me to.

I am deposit 6,xxx on the Tesla SUV. I will sell the Range Rover when the Tesla shows up. I will probably lose it to my wife, who for all her skepticism now, will probably fall in love with it.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

93 Toyota Pick up with 523,000 miles. I get a couples notes on my windshield a year asking to sell it.

I drive it because it still looks new, it hauls surf and camp gear and its paid for.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

surfhb wrote:93 Toyota Pick up with 523,000 miles. I get a couples notes on my windshield a year asking to sell it.

I drive it because it still looks new, it hauls surf and camp gear and its paid for.
Wow! 523,000 miles is pretty impressive, but not as impressive as this guy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/irv- ... ion-miles/
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Our primary vehicle is a 2013 Hyunda Elantra.

Safety came first. Only model year 2012 vehicles and newer have electronic stability control standard, and I'm not willing to sacrifice safety.

Other than that, it was relatively cheap, the car is of high quality and has minimal maintenance. I anticipate driving it for at least the next 10 years.

We also own an '02 Saturn SL1. We bought it when we couldn't afford anything else. It's a death trap and I don't feel safe in it anymore. I still use it though when DW needs the Hyundai. I always say a couple prayers before starting it though. Pick a god from any religion and I've probably prayed to it before driving this car.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Happy New Year!
I drive a 2004 Buick Century, 6 cyl, cloth seats, 88,000. miles. Had only <$500 repairs, except for brakes, tires, and such. I like it a lot, looks great, has large trunk fitting all weekly groceries for 4 persons, 10 mulch bags also fit into trunk; wife and grandson have enough legroom when I chauffeur them. Will buy another small Buick in future.
My wife drives a 2013 Toyota Camry LE. We liked that it has most US content of cars being sold (same as Honda Accord). It is comfortable and has a large trunk which is important for doing vacation trips. Back seat is also comfortable for our grandson, especially for his growing legs. Camry has a record of low maintenance; I hate to sit in the waiting room at a dealer's service dept. We just added a rearview camera.
Minsc

Post by Minsc »

2011 Honda Odyssey... kids and dogs...
matti

Post by matti »

I drive a 2012 Toyota Yaris L (manual transmission). I bought it new in August 2012 with cash. I've always liked Toyotas. I've got the cheapest model and trim that Toyota sells in the U.S. market and I'm very pleased. I could find this model and color on the lot, so I had it "special ordered" from the factory in Japan. It easily meets all my needs and wants.
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

I'm driving a 1997 Toyota Camry that has logged on about 270,000 miles. I keep it because:
1. It has never left me stranded on freeways
2. It costs only approximately $120 a year for annual maintenance
3. It gives me a peace of mind, e.g. I feel comfortable to park it next to other beaten-down cars without concerns for accidental scratches

Once it shows signs of major mechanical problems, I'll probably get a Tesla. A Tesla may not be a bogleheadish car at first look; I, however, believe it's going to be a reliable, safe, and to give me another kind of peace-of-mind. Long waiting time at gas stations, oil change will become history.

Have a safe drive!
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I drive a 2009 Forester.

I bought it because my 1997 Outback wagon needed $2000 of repairs to pass inspection. I would have bought another Outback but they made the hatch too small for my yard waste barrels. So I got the Forrester.

I do a lot of camping, climbing, hiking, skiing, hauling yard waste and other junk, and taking family road trips with luggage, and we have snowy winters, so it is a good size and a practical choice. Looked at a few options and liked this one best.

My wife likes it so much when our daughter needed a car we gave her wife's 2004 Accord and my wife got a 2015 Forrester. She has long winter commutes and really likes the AWD.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
nbseer

Post by nbseer »

2003 Subaru Forester with 216,000 miles on it. Before I retired last year, put around 16,000 miles/year on it. Now, just drive it near home.. hoping to get a few hundred thousand more miles!
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Winter- 2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Truck (double duty as family road trip vehicle)
Summer - 2005 Acura NSX ( Most Boglehead car I have ever owned as it has gone up in value over the time I have owned it)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

zbxb006 wrote:I drive a '59 Lotus 7, because, well, I can. And I am am guarenteed of never seeing another one sitting at a red light.

That car would be too small, uncomfortable, wet in the rain and hot in the summer for me

So I drive a boat of a car. 07 Lotus Elise. Why? It has a nice removable top, ac, heat and heated leather seats. In addition, I wanted the safest car I could find. In European MIRA front crash testing, only 2 cars were able to drive away after the test. One was a Lotus Elise, the other a McLaren F1. I don't have the money for an F1 and like the reliable, fuel efficient Toyota drivetrain.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I sold the last car I owned about 7 years ago.

When I moved to downtown Chicago, I found that owning a car was more hassle than benefit. And of course not owning a car is much cheaper.

I get around by walking, public transportation, Uber, taxi, and Divvy (Chicago's bike share program).
tavore

Post by tavore »

1998 Buick Century Ltd, with 123k miles. I bought it 4 years ago for 2200 with only about 107k miles. It's big, comfy, and handles well. Gas mileage isn't too much of an issue as my work commute used to be very short before, and non-existent now (working from home full time). It's been the perfect car for me as a relatively new driver in my 30s. I try to stay as car-free as possible, but it's good to have it when really needed.
maroon

Post by maroon »

I own a 2010 Forester, bought used with 20K miles and have now driven it about 40K miles. It's great in the rain, on dirt roads, etc. It has a freaking huge sunroof! Good gas mileage, easy to drive, great visibility; I'd recommend it to others. Also, I'd like to have a Lotus Elise, wow.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Tesla Model 6.
I wanted an electric car for years. Great performance, no transmission, no filthy oil changes or gas needed, no cooling system, no smog device maintenance required by CA. Looks GREAT and people are always commenting about its style.
Built in California by American workers, sold directly to buyers (no middle person), save about $2000 a year on gas alone (have solar on our house, have no energy bill whatsoever), the electronic features are awesome, free charge all over the country. Like CEO Musk's corporate philosophy by giving away his patents!
Downside, its a little awkward to get in and out, seats could be a little softer, lower visibility when compared to an SUV and expensive.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

A 2012 Honda Pilot. I needed something reliable, 4wd, comfortable, fairly decent on gas and ability to tow 3000 lbs. Our second vehicle is a 2011 Forester. Same reasons as the Honda sans towing.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
hmw

Post by hmw »

I drive a 2007 Mercedes C-class bought used in 2009. It was a good deal because the banks weren't giving out loans and used cars were cheap. We had a good deal. I used it primarily as a commute car to work, which is only 12 min away.

My wife drives a 2012 Subaru outback. Bought it new after our son was born as we needed a larger vehicle than a small sedan. We are happy with it and expect to keep it for a long time.
Hulu

Post by Hulu »

We share a 2003 Acura TL Type S. Drive it because it works. Was a gift from parents when they upgraded. Not sure what the next car would be but likely used. Maybe larger if kids happen. Or maybe no car if we relocate.

I've had two Accords with a Civic in between. All have been great. Flipped the first Accord over into a tree and walked away with only a scratch between the two of us. Can't wait for Google self-driving.
goaties

Post by goaties »

delete
Last edited by goaties on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

2010 Subaru Forester, 20k miles - I drive this car year round. I bought it mostly to get around in winter weather. It has been absolutely fabulous in handling winter conditions. I have been driving it in summer too because it had a huge sunroof and a lot of cargo room for golf trips.

2003 Nissan 350z, 52k miles - Drive it about 10 months a year, weather permitting. Fun car to drive.

I drive each car less than 5k yearly and plan to keep both for quite a while.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie