new tablet/smart phone question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fmhealth

new tablet/smart phone question

Post by fmhealth »

Hi,

I need some sage insights from the members on this site. I'd like to enter the 21st century in terms of a portable device.
I'm searching for the following.

Must fit into my pocket
6" screen would be fine
Need a phone & Internet capability
I don't want to sign a 2 year contract
I use the phone very infrequently, need very little memory
I have a great deal of difficulty typing on those tiny screens that usually are part of the above package
Would prefer some type of keyboard
I essentially use the Internet for email, online trading & web searches
Would rather not have an Apple product
Battery life not critical

That's about most of my basic requirements. So far, after numerous Amazon searches, I haven't uncovered a device that meets all my needs. Perhaps it doesn't exist?? So, if you folks can offer-up any options for me to consider I would be very appreciative. Thanks so much!

Be Well,
fmhealth
wjo

Re: new tablet/smart phone question

Post by wjo »

Have you considered a Google nexus 5? Unlocked, quite powerful although last years model, competitively priced. I have one and love it. The 5" screen is a good tradeoff in portability and size. (For me, 6" is a small tablet....but if you want 6" I'd go with a nexus 6 or maybe a Samsung note.)
Last edited by wjo on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wjo

Post by wjo »

On keyboards....consider adding a small Bluetooth keyboard for when you really need to type. The days of physical keyboards on phones are all but gone. I do find the typing experience on the screens has improved. Plus Google is currently very good with their speech to text capability.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

wjo wrote:On keyboards....consider adding a small Bluetooth keyboard for when you really need to type. The days of physical keyboards on phones are all but gone. I do find the typing experience on the screens has improved. Plus Google is currently very good with their speech to text capability.
Also, there are third party keyboard apps available - some of these are easier to use than the one that comes on many android devices.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

If the keyboard has to fit in your pocket too, then the keys on it are going to be just about as tiny as the on screen keyboard.
As others suggest, a separate, larger Bluetooth keyboard which you used some of the time would be an option. They're $30 or so.
If the phone has USB OTG support, you can even connect a regular USB keyboard.

Far and away the hottest segment of the smart phone market is the under $200 market. Compared to an iPhone 6 or the Nexus 6, they're awful, particularly in regard to screen resolution. On the other hand, compared to anything three years old, they're not bad at all. Over time, this segment is likely to grow more rapidly than the market as a whole since you can probably sell five times as many $200 phones as $600 phones. For example, the ZTE ZMAX for T Mobile, available through Best Buy, has a 5.7 inch screen, does 4G LTE, etc.
zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 »

Maybe look at a Blackberry Passport. I haven't played with one, but they have a different format than any other and they certainly aren't Apple.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Get the Oneplus. You can probably survive with 16gb which will only put you back $299. It is non-contract, cost less than a Nexus 5 with specs almost matching that of Nexus 6.

I'm feeling generous, here is the url: https://oneplus.net/

Only catch is that you need an invite in order to buy it. Invites are not hard to obtain if you go through forums, search twitter, or G+ communities. I was just given 3 invites for the 64gb version but it has since expired.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Topic Author
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

Personal thanks go out to everyone who replied to me in such rapid-fire fashion. Much appreciated!! My problem lies in the fact that I'm a techno-idiot. Thus, it's going to take a bit of time & some serious due diligence to reconcile which of these suggestions will work best for me.

As of now I'll have to stick with my dumb phone & use my laptop to exist. Not a resolution that I'm comfortable with, but the litany of options is somewhat intimidating. Thanks again & best of health in the New Year.

Be Well,
fmhealth
mike143

Post by mike143 »

fmhealth wrote:Personal thanks go out to everyone who replied to me in such rapid-fire fashion. Much appreciated!! My problem lies in the fact that I'm a techno-idiot. Thus, it's going to take a bit of time & some serious due diligence to reconcile which of these suggestions will work best for me.

As of now I'll have to stick with my dumb phone & use my laptop to exist. Not a resolution that I'm comfortable with, but the litany of options is somewhat intimidating. Thanks again & best of health in the New Year.

Be Well,
fmhealth
I have a Nexus 4 and I would recommend that or a iPhone 4s for you to cut your teeth on. They can both be had for $150 and if you end up liking OS you can upgrade to a newer unit or try its competitor. Both device get the most recent OS and nothing of significant value has changed on their newer counterparts. Or you can get them both, use them just on wifi and see which you prefer, once you make a decision activate it on cellular and upgrade to newer unit when you feel the need.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

fmhealth wrote: Must fit into my pocket
6" screen would be fine
Is it even possible to fit a 6 inch device in a pocket? It seems to me that people with even 5 inch devices have trouble keeping something that big in a pocket.
Need a phone & Internet capability
Do you want internet capability "everywhere" while traveling (using a cell phone data plan) or would having it only over wi-fi work?

I don't know if it would meet your needs/desires, but I use an 8 inch (wifi only) tablet and carry a small flip phone for actual phone purposes. The size of the onscreen keyboard with the 8 inch tablet works for me, I don't feel a need to have a separate physical keyboard.

I only entered the tablet world less than a year ago. Because I was unsure if I would like it, I bought mine from Costco as they have a 90 day return policy on such items, this made me feel that I would have plenty of time to try it out and change my mind if I didn't like it.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Honestly, if you're set in your ways and are not open to trying out new means of communication or ways of working with mobile internet, you will find it much cheaper and more familiar to just work with whatever old-school solution you are already using.

Things like iphones enable you to do things that you can only dream of doing with an oldschool flip-phone. In ways you never thought possible. But most of these new things are things that are so far removed from using a phone, that it's really akin to a whole new category of device. Your phone calls won't get any clearer with an iphone, and you may even prefer your tactile quick-call buttons on a fliphone to the buttonless screen on an iphone that requires more taps to instacall someone.

I have a current-gen iphone, and I consider myself a decently sophisticated user of it, and I still think that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a old-school fliphone, provided you have a cheap contract that takes advantage of the simpler technology. (No sense in paying big data and big phone contracts if you don't have a uberphone to take advantage of it.)
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

The few times where I would have found a smartphone to be really useful is deciding which tags to pick on a Christmas wish list tree.
Questions such as price and is the toy even available at a brick and mortar store could easily be answered.
Once or twice I chose a toy and later found out I had to order from Amazon.
I didn't want to worry about getting the toy in time.

Otherwise, I work at a PC all day. I can search to my heart's content within reason.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

The perfect device may exist for you but you just might not find the price palatable. The current crop of 6" phablets (biggest phones you can buy) are the Nexus 6, Galaxy Note 4, both running Android, and the Nokia Lumia 1520 running Windows 8. They are priced appropriately for having the largest screens.

I just purchased an Amazon Fire HD 7" tablet for $50 on Black Friday and it has replaced my need to bring my ipad on travel which 3 years ago replaced my need to bring a laptop. The Fire HD 7 can still be optioned with 8 gb of memory or in other words rock bottom prices. I loaded my Fire with the $220 of free apps Amazon offered this Christmas and still have over a gb remaining. You can side load apps from the Google Play Store so you don't have to worry about being locked to Amazon.

I couple the tablet with any cheap phone that offers wifi hotspots and I can use my Fire HD on the road. I currently use a Nokia Lumia 925 that I purchased on eBay for $150.

So for a grand total of $200 plus my monthly T-Mobile service, I've met most of your criteria. By the way, DW has an iPhone 6 Plus and it is too big to fit in my pocket and sadly still too small to type well so I abandoned the phablet, 1 device fits all concept. And at the risk of sounding like an Amazon salesman, all Fire tablets come with unlimited cloud storage.
Topic Author
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

Well, I thought that I've FINALLY found the device I've been searching for. It has most of the features & benefits that I covet, especially that keyboard!! Only sticking-point is the price. An astronomical $450.00. I think I'll buy stock in the company that markets these (Blackberry, BBRY @ approx. $10.00 share) rather than the product itself.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Classi ... roduct_top

So my quest continues, momentarily halted, only to once again end in bitter disappointment. Perhaps my destiny is to continue this struggle or perhaps admit defeat. I think there's a light somewhere in the not too distant future, so I'll journey on.

Thanks again to everyone who's weighed-in with incisive insights coupled with enlightening narrative.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

harrychan wrote:Get the Oneplus. You can probably survive with 16gb which will only put you back $299. It is non-contract, cost less than a Nexus 5 with specs almost matching that of Nexus 6.

Only catch is that you need an invite in order to buy it. Invites are not hard to obtain if you go through forums, search twitter, or G+ communities. I was just given 3 invites for the 64gb version but it has since expired.
I second the Oneplus suggestion. However, I would go with the 64gb version for $350.

PS Size is 5.5

PPS. I am using the $30 T-Mobile plan. It has 100 minutes plus 5gb of data at 4g. I have been using Google voice/hangout dailer over data for all my phone calls.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

You do realize that has just a 3.5 inch screen?

They have one called "Passport" that has a 4.5 inch screen, included in reviews here: http://www.cnet.com/news/great-qwerty-s ... s-roundup/
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Although they don't have keyboard options, I recommend Republic Wireless as a financially prudent choice. Remember, it is not the upfront cost that will get you...

https://republicwireless.com
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

fmhealth wrote: Would rather not have an Apple product
Okay, I am dying to know, why no Apple product?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
g$$

Post by g$$ »

harrychan wrote:Get the Oneplus. You can probably survive with 16gb which will only put you back $299. It is non-contract, cost less than a Nexus 5 with specs almost matching that of Nexus 6.

I have a oneplus and i've been very happy with it. It's keyboard is "on screen", but i think it works just fine.

If you're considering buying one then let me know. I can send you an invite.

-g$$
Topic Author
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

Yes, I do realize that the screen is very small. A trade-off I'd be willing to make for a key board. I'm simply not a fan of Apple strictly on a price basis. That's also the reason that this BB product is off my radar now. Too expensive for my limited needs. But thanks for the comments. Much appreciated!

Be Well,
fmhealth
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

In my experience, most people who insist on wanting a physical keyboard change their mind once they get used to using the on-screen keyboard. Simply put, none of the good smart phones have a physical keyboard, so you're going to have to make EXTREME compromises to get one. You're probably better off sticking with a dumb phone in that scenario.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-optimus- ... b2166c2c0

For $100 with one year of service, it certainly is worth a try.

It is CDMA using Verizon, no contract, triple minutes phone.

I just got this phone in Nov, as my first smartphone, and like it a lot, but I am not a heavy texter,
and generally turn off data over cell, using data over wireless instead, and just use data over cell
when I need it.

I believe the screen size is about 4 in. not six, and there is no non-screen keyboard, but it barely fits in my shirt pocket,
I have a hard time believing that a phone with a six inch screen would fit in a (shirt) pocket, so I think that those two
requirements as inconsistent.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which I recently got, comes with a stylus that can be used for typing if your fingers are too big for typing or you're not comfortable with the on-screen keyboard.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Watty

Post by Watty »

Check out the current offers at TracFone or Virgin mobile. They usually have Blackberry like phones from other companies and their monty charges are very reasonable as long as you understand all the plan details.