Smartphone Cases

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Smartphone Cases

Post by dbCooperAir »

Being a first time Smartphone user can someone recommend a decent case for them.

I would like one to give some protection from a drop and different color options for his/hers, we both are both just starting off with our first Smartphones. I assume you want to cover the buttons as well?

The Phones are Motorola G's 2nd gen if it makes a difference.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
livesoft

Re: Smartphone Cases

Post by livesoft »

I use a cheap Spigen case. Spigen also has a plastic film to cover the glass. The film is easily replaced.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
packet

Post by packet »

iphone 5... no cover... no worries.

:beerCheers,
Packet
First round’s on me.
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

There can be literally dozens and dozens of covers/cases available for the Moto G (2nd gen), as it is a popular phone. So, it is very hard for a person to recommend a particular one unless they have the Moto G and have used that cover/case.

The best place to look for and purchase smartphone covers/cases is either Amazon.com or eBay.com. Moreover, it is imperative that you search for covers/cases by the name of the phone which you have (Moto G ) because the cover must be made to fit the Moto G (sec.gen/2014) phone. A cover that is not specifically made for the Moto G will not fit the phone.

Good Luck!
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

packet wrote:iphone 5... no cover... no worries.

Packet
I could use my Nexus 5 with no cover and have "no worries", but the reality is that even if it survives a drop without a case a few times, it will eventually break. The case helps spread the impact out, therefore reducing the unseen damage done and increasing the number of drops it can likely survive. I even have a glass screen protector (much better than the plastic ones and was on a clearance type sale) since I know that microscopic scratches can degrade the structural integrity.

So, you can go without protection, it just increases the chances of a broken phone. I think it was worth the $20 I spent for the two items

As for a case, I'm a fan of the cruzerlite thin TPU cases on Amazon (I have an orange bugdroid one for my Nexus 5) and TPU cases in general (my family has used 4 different TPU cases, I don't remember the brands of the other ones but they seemed to work just as well). They are small and add enough protection to reduce the chance of a broken screen all while being cheap. Only problem with the cruzerlite case is that (on my Nexus 5) it will sometimes push up the screen protector if I don't put it on carefully.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

I've had iphones for years, never had a case. Never broke a screen.

I'd prefer to avoid the extra bulk in my pocket, but YMMV.
lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

Check out an Otter case....safe and not too expensive or bulky...been using mine for years.

Lucky3
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

Otterbox cases are well made and protect your phone quite well, but tend to be expensive. I had one for my previous phone, but now use a cheap ~$6 "thermoplastic polyurethane" (TPU) case, which I find does a good job as well. I got it because the rubber portions of the otterbox case would not allow me to easily slide it into and out of my pocket. The TPU is smooth and somewhat hard, which makes that easier.
packet

Post by packet »

nordlead wrote:I could use my Nexus 5 with no cover and have "no worries", but the reality is that even if it survives a drop without a case a few times, it will eventually break...
All good points that I agree with.

Prior to this phone, the very first thing I did with every new phone was get a case. Being in IT, I've had smartphones since the beginning and rarely keep them beyond 2 years. Thing is, i'm a fairly careful person with electronics... also, i was tired of hanging a phone off my belt or pocket or whatever (only to get caught up on stuff). With this one, that i've had about 18 months without issue, i decided to try out the whole no-case-keep-in-your-pocket approach. Works for me! :)

For OP tho, I say get a couple fun cases!
They'll not only protect the phone but make a statement too!

Packet
First round’s on me.
davebarnes

If you are a color nerd

Post by davebarnes »

A nerd living in Denver
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

livesoft wrote:I use a cheap Spigen case. Spigen also has a plastic film to cover the glass. The film is easily replaced.
+1. I got a clear one for about $11 on Amazon. It makes the phone a lot easier to handle and keeps it from sliding around when you set it down. Check out Amazon. There's lots to choose from.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

greg24 wrote:I've had iphones for years, never had a case. Never broke a screen.

I'd prefer to avoid the extra bulk in my pocket, but YMMV.
That's interesting. I just bought DW an IPhone 6+ and I am not going to let her out of the house until we have a case for it.
It is very thin and the case is very slippery plus she tries to carry and use it without touching the screen so it feels a bit awkward and prone to accidents.

She just last week dropped her Samsung Note and cracked the case, so greg24 I think that you have been lucky.

I am thinking about getting an insurance plan for it.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

As an aside, DW watches a lot of Korean drama and pays attention to the phones/cases. She saw a case that had a window through which you could see the message previews without opening the case. It also permitted answering and talking without opening the case.
Quite clever.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I use an Otterbox: http://www.otterbox.com/ or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GB39JJS/. The extra bulk is minimal.

I also use a screen protector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT7RAPG/ This was MUCH easier to apply than I thought it would be, although it does take some care. There are extras included in case you need them. I got it right the first time, much to my surprise.

I recommend both highly.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jchris

Post by jchris »

I use a Speck Candy Shell Grip case with a Tech Armor ballistic glass screen protector. Case cost about $16, screen protector was about $12. I like the case because it doesn't add much bulk or thickness to the phone, but prevents it from sliding when I set it down - especially when I set it on the center console of my car.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Honestly, check out the Dollar Store for cellphone accessories.The big name retailers wildly overprice that stuff. We got a great hard case for a Samsung Galaxy from Amazon. It came from China.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Lifeproof FTW!
eschaef

Post by eschaef »

I have been very pleased with my two Diztronic (https://tpu-cases.com/) phone cases, for my (old) Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. I'm clumsy and drop my phone all the time! I can't say whether the fact that I've never had any damage is due to the case, the construction of the phone, or just plain luck... but the cases are slim, unobtrusive, feel good in my hand, and don't get the way of using the buttons or ports. They are also easy to put on and take off. I have had other cases in the past that failed at one or more of those things. (Like the $40 Otterbox for my old Blackberry that broke on the first drop, about 20 minutes after I bought it... :oops: )
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

Just went through the same decision with my first smartphone. Decided on these after reading some web reviews. May not be necessary, and as we know, there are certainly cheaper alternatives. Gives me cheap piece of mind. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANALDWQ/ref=tnp_emaildp_1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT8L2MW/ref=tnp_emaildp_2
etf

Post by etf »

i have owned every iteration of the iPhone except the 5s. The iPhone 6 is the first phone that I have decided to use a case with, since within the first 30 days I dropped it and the screen completely shattered. I also bought applecare (for a phone) for the first time that day.
ChicagoMedStudent

Post by ChicagoMedStudent »

dbCooperAir wrote:Being a first time Smartphone user can someone recommend a decent case for them.

I would like one to give some protection from a drop and different color options for his/hers, we both are both just starting off with our first Smartphones. I assume you want to cover the buttons as well?

The Phones are Motorola G's 2nd gen if it makes a difference.
This case for the Moto G is great. Solid protection, + a nifty pop-out stand if you want to do video stuff. I use it and have no complaints. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9X ... UTF8&psc=1
Passions are the only orators which always persuade. - François de La Rochefoucauld
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I bought a cheapie that holds my Galaxy S3, a credit card or two, drivers license, health insurance card and NYC subway card, plus a few $20 bills. High rollers might use $100 bills.

So far so good. It hasn't fallen apart yet and it protects my phone from keys, change, etc. It is only a minimal hassle to have to open it to use the phone and is slightly more awkward when talking on the phone, but it is better than when you only have two pockets, have a bulky wallet in one and keys, etc in the other and need a place to stick your phone. And the screen stays cleaner.

Theoretically it can be used as a phone stand too but I haven't tried.

Ah, here it is. $3.62 with free shipping from Amazon. So if it falls apart or doesn't work for you, you can probably absorb the loss and try something different. This one is for the Galaxy, but there are similar products all over the internet for other phones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DN ... 0_70668520
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

A lot of this depends on how clumsy/damaging you are to a device. For example, I like to put my phone inside a fortress that can survive 11 foot drops onto concrete from elevated work platforms. For that, I usually go for the Otterbox Defender series for whatever phone I have. Pretty hard to beat the shock resistance.
Taboose

Post by Taboose »

My son is Army Airborne and his jumpmaster recently dropped his phone from 1200 feet. I don't know what it hit, but they found it with no damage. He uses Life Proof.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Whatever case you buy, don't buy it at the Verizon, Sprint, or whatever carrier store. The same case will be $20 - $30 more at such a store than on Amazon.

I've gone with Otterbox since 2011 and been happy. My wife likes the Mophie charging case. Both less expensive at Amazon than from the Verizon store.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I have a speck case for my iphone 5s and it works great.