I Can't Smell The Coffee [one cup coffee maker]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lon

I Can't Smell The Coffee [one cup coffee maker]

Post by Lon »

I live alone and don't need a eight or ten cup coffee maker. I am happy with my one cup at a time Keurig Coffee Maker using K Cups, but sure miss the smell of brewing coffee.
tigermilk

Re: I Can't Smell The Coffee

Post by tigermilk »

Is this a call for suggestions? If so, moka pot, French press, or a full-fledged espresso machine. Once you've had any of those, there's no going back to the sub-par K-cup.
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

French press come in small to large size great tasting coffee too. Can use any normal ground coffee.
"Gonna Make It"
stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 »

Coffee scented candle or "scentsy"
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft
Mint Condition

Post by Mint Condition »

Get an Aeropress - it makes a single cup of coffee. The pour-over method is another setup you can use for a single cup.

The cost of a grinder, french press or Aeropress with a reusable filter is cheaper than a Keurig machine. The cost per cup is also much cheaper compared to the Keurig, but yet the coffee tastes so much better and there's no plastic waste to boot.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean grocery stores carry little stainless steel one serve coffee makers that you pour boiling water into. They work with French press/percolator grind coffee. The filtering is through little holes in the cup, so there's no disposable filter to dispose of or run out of.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

Yankee Candle Coffee Smell?
chaz

Post by chaz »

Go to McDonalds.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

The French press is really a great way to make coffee, far better (and more sustainable) than K-cups. I brew it and then put it in a thermal carafe, so that I can have a few cups without it getting cold.
jdb

Post by jdb »

frugalecon wrote:The French press is really a great way to make coffee, far better (and more sustainable) than K-cups. I brew it and then put it in a thermal carafe, so that I can have a few cups without it getting cold.
+1. And you can buy small French Press that hold at most a couple cups.
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Another option is to, umm, well, get a girlfriend who enjoys coffee in the morning...
Attempted new signature...
camper

Post by camper »

When I make coffee for myself only, I use the Aeropress which was recommended here on the forum. If you use the link provided, you will help the forum get a referral fee that costs you nothing.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Lon wrote:I live alone and don't need a eight or ten cup coffee maker. I am happy with my one cup at a time Keurig Coffee Maker using K Cups, but sure miss the smell of brewing coffee.
You know you don't have to fill a coffee maker up? Mine will make a one mug* perfectly well.

*which it calls two cups.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Lon wrote:I live alone and don't need a eight or ten cup coffee maker. I am happy with my one cup at a time Keurig Coffee Maker using K Cups, but sure miss the smell of brewing coffee.
You don't?!

I also live alone and have 12 cup coffee maker... love it! Of course, I only use it on my days off and make nine cups, which equals three of the cups I drink out of... so, I do see your point. I hear you on the smell of brewing coffee though! Mmmm!! :happy

If you already have a bigger coffee maker, keep it. If you need a new one, the Keurigs give off a brief brewing smell... might be good enough.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I view Keurigs as a method of delivering a dose of caffeine while working with minimal interruption. I have a K cup machine that I used to use when I worked at home.

Now that I'm retired I don't use it. If I want coffee I go out somewhere.

Once my DW uses all the remaining K-cups we'll have to decide about keeping it or not.
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Get a women.....The coffee they make in the morning smells wonderful.... and there are other benefits.........Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

gwrvmd wrote:Get a women.....The coffee they make in the morning smells wonderful.... and there are other benefits.........Gordon
Got one, and she does make good coffee! Just don't want her living with me! :D
kcollett

Post by kcollett »

I used to have a Keurig, but I switched to pour over brewing to save money. (I tried using the Keurig with one of those reusable filter cups, but I didn't like the taste.) Not only am I saving money, but the coffee also smells wonderful and tastes amazing. It is, however, much more labor–intensive.
scotthal

Post by scotthal »

I love my Krups Mokabrew; like (when I'm in a sedimental mood) my Bodum french press; rarely use either my Aeropress or Yama vacpot.

I'd recommend one of the old "4cup" (2 mug) Gevalia:Melitta drip machines - they use a #2 cone filter, kick out a nice scent whilst brewing, & can be had for under $10 in most thrift stores. Taste should easily beat most Keurig cups. I've tried Starbucks "Pike Place" & a few others both as K-cups (my kid brother & his wife are convenience junkies) and fresh ground drip. The difference was striking.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Keurig allows an adapter for single cup brewing. I bought one for $5.
Pale Blue Dot
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

A 4 cup coffee maker might do the trick. Mine is a Mr. Coffee. Works just like the big boys, just smaller and perfect for one person. You don't have to make the entire 4 cups (which is really about 2 cups).
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

A good cup of coffee in the morning is one of life's simple pleasures. If you have the 4 minutes needed to pour, you can use this dripper for a good cup.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/gear-fo ... at-coffee/
mtnlover

Post by mtnlover »

I bought a Melitta One Cup for about $8. It's a plastic holder for a cone-shape filter that you place over a coffee mug and make a pour-over brew. Using Melitta brand coffee is great but other coffees work, too. The big advantage is that it is as easy to stow in a cabinet as a coffee mug and takes up NO counter space.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

I think most responders in this thread have misunderstood the OPs plight: he misses waking up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

TheWiz offered a constructive suggestion: acquire a Significant Other. But this could turn out to be expensive. Or worse, it could turn out that the SO lacks either the willingness or ability to rise and brew coffee before you get up in the morning.

A more reliable solution would be to buy the cheapest automatic drip coffee maker you can find that has a timer.

Then after you get up, toss the dreck down the sink and brew a good cup.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Try a Chemex . http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... emex/?_r=0 I had one for years and never used it, until my daughter the barista told me it was the best coffee in the world. She also told me that pourover coffee is by far better than any other method, and it is underused in restaurants and coffeehouses purely due to throughput issues. So I tried it and I agree....though I only drank espresso/cappuccino/lattes etc prior to trying it, my espresso maker has been retired since I tried Chemex. There are other pourover systems that may well be just as good or better, I don't know.

Upsides:
1. Cheap. I'm not sure that there is any magic to the actual device....the filters may work just as well in any other funnel, I don't know. One side is notched, however, to allow air to escape. Without this, it may be too time consuming. No idea.
2. Cleanup is nothing- just throw away filter and rinse.
3. Prep is nothing- stick grounds in filter and pour hot water over grounds
4. Very easy to make a perfect cup
5. Energy-efficient. Just requires boiling water.
5. Coffee is incredibly smooth and delicious without a hint of bitterness, even when rewarmed in microwave

Downside:
1. Thickness of filter results in relatively slow brewing- I would guess that it takes 5-10 minutes after pouring the boiling water over the grounds. So if you make it in the am, you may need to start it before your shower or getting dressed. If you are making more than 2-3 cups at a time this may be an issue. Often needs re-heating in microwave due to exposure to air while dripping.
2, Have to buy filters.

Along the same lines, this might be worth a try, according to reviews: http://www.consumersearch.com/single-cu ... ee-dripper
OpenRoad

Post by OpenRoad »

Another vote for the chemex here. All the pros the poster above listed are dead on. I've been using one for years now and love it. It's almost meditative now as part of my morning routine. I can usually brew a full Themos for work in about 4-5 mins tops. Longest part is boiling the water.
packet

Post by packet »

I prefer to make my coffee with ... whiskey.

Cheers,
Packet
First round’s on me.
leonard

Post by leonard »

You could shave with this:

http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=270

Quote from the product description: "Coffee Essential Oil smells just like a fresh brewed pot of coffee."

I don't have this one - but have many other of her shave soaps and they smell great.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Twins Fan wrote:
gwrvmd wrote:Get a women.....The coffee they make in the morning smells wonderful.... and there are other benefits.........Gordon
You guys get me laughing at times. But for coffee I like one of these http://www.rakuten.com/prod/porcelain-n ... MgodeDQAOA
No plastic
jdb

Post by jdb »

House Blend wrote:I think most responders in this thread have misunderstood the OPs plight: he misses waking up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

TheWiz offered a constructive suggestion: acquire a Significant Other. But this could turn out to be expensive. Or worse, it could turn out that the SO lacks either the willingness or ability to rise and brew coffee before you get up in the morning.

A more reliable solution would be to buy the cheapest automatic drip coffee maker you can find that has a timer.

Then after you get up, toss the dreck down the sink and brew a good cup.
Good point. My SO (also known as wife) doubles as a drip coffee maker with timer. She has a chemical dependency (caffeine) so I usually wake up to the nice aroma of freshly brewed coffee made in old fashioned expresso pot. But don't tell her but usually just brew my own French Press cup after get up.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

rec7 wrote:
Twins Fan wrote:
You guys get me laughing at times. But for coffee I like one of these http://www.rakuten.com/prod/porcelain-n ... MgodeDQAOA
No plastic
I was expecting a Playboy centerfold and all I got was a photo of a porcelain filter. You tease....
TFinator

Re: I Can't Smell The Coffee [one cup coffee maker]

Post by TFinator »

I'll second (third? fourth?) a french press. Plus it's not as ridiculously wasteful as those little k-cups.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I like re-fillable K-Cups for this reason. You still get to enjoy the fresh smell of grounds when you fill it up.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

protagonist wrote:
rec7 wrote:
Twins Fan wrote:
No plastic
I was expecting a Playboy centerfold and all I got was a photo of a porcelain filter. You tease....
It is church ladies who I like the most no centerfold for me.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

rec7 wrote:
protagonist wrote:
rec7 wrote:
Twins Fan wrote:
No plastic
It is church ladies who I like the most no centerfold for me.
Are Playboy playmates less religious than a random selection of women? And do church ladies make better coffee? These are questions worth exploring in subsequent threads. Sorry, OP....back to the issue at hand.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hi Lon,

Interesting post. Are you living alone in New Zealand or California? The warm weather!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."