Where do you shop for groceries?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Where do you shop for groceries?

High end grocery store (wholefoods or organic expensive grocery stores)
12%
Everyday grocery store (Safeway, Kroger, Vons, Costco, Sams club)
86%
Mom and pops grocery stores (I go buy produce from local farmers, meat from a local grocery store,)
2%

Total votes: 248

jfn111

Re: Where do you shop for groceries?

Post by jfn111 »

Spending by Dollar
Sam's Club 50%
Cub Foods 45%
Other 5%
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I go to Wegmans, which is basically a high-end grocery store with the prices of a mediocre grocery store :D
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

Mostly at the local Albertson's or Vons (safeway) because they're so close.

But a lot is bought at costco, and a lot is bought as a few Japanese and Korean markets because my wife and daughter love the teeny tiny cookies.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Trader Joe's

Whole Foods

World Foods

Fred Meyer
Gordon
AbuShenab

Post by AbuShenab »

I have a HUGE problem in that the Whole Foods main headquarters is just across the street from my condo in Austin Texas. I keep telling myself that when I retire and move back to the USA I will do my grocery shopping at HEB/Costco as Whole Food is expensive (but darn they DO have sooo many great things!!)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Mostly Krogers except for a few things my wife needs from Whole Foods.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Sam's Club about once a month for ground beef, chicken breast, shredded Parmesan, fresh mozzarella, and organic greens. ALDI for most other things, Walmart for when ALDI runs our or doesn't carry and Publix for Boars Head Cheese (extra stinky, aged). Save A Lot to grab something after work because its on the way home and has similar prices to ALDI.

I am luck that all our grocery is within a 3 mile radius: Publix, Winn Dixie, Save A Lot, ALDI, and Target. We also have a nice produce "stand" in this same radius.

I get a free Sam's Club membership through work and only go when its on the way to something else I am doing. Going to meet my mom for lunch today so I will take cooler and stock up on the item list above.
Last edited by mike143 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

You need another choice here. A combination of stores is where we shop.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Trader Joe's: After one of the grocery store strikes in CA we realized we could do 80% of our grocery shopping here.

Sprouts: The closest store to our house. We use this as our grocery store for most of the items we can't buy at TJ's. For example, they have a much wider selection of produce.

Vons: Still a small number of things that we can only find at a traditional grocery store, perhaps 1-2 trips per month.

Local butcher: We do most of our meat shopping at a local butcher who carries high quality meat.
Dave
aceoperations

Post by aceoperations »

Mostly costco, except for vegetables, for which we go to mom-and-pop stores / asian / indian markets
david99

Post by david99 »

Costco, Trader Joes, Market Basket
parigi723

Post by parigi723 »

WMT,and on week-end farmer's market......
ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo »

My first stop is Aldi for staples. I really like the self help, low prices and bag it yourself. I haven't used a plastic bag in 10 years and when I tell the baggers at the big chain stores that I have cloth bags, they want to put it in plastic and then put it in my cloth bags. One does however need to read labels at Aldi. Not everything contains the healthiest ingredients. Then Trader Joe's for most of the rest. There you really don't need to scrutinize the labels so much. They have really good guidelines for their products. Meijer to fill in all of the holes. Farmer's markets when possible and ethnic markets for the fun stuff.
Last edited by ZumZabo on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
What makes me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

(double post)
Last edited by Pajamas on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Mostly Trader Joe's, as it is the most reasonably priced grocery store available to me, is close by, and is relatively easy to shop in, except for the long check-out lines. I do supplement it with purchases at other stores, but Trader Joe's gets 90% of my grocery dollars.

If I had Aldi available to me, I would shop there first.
Last edited by Pajamas on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo »

Also both Aldi and Trader Joe's (same parent company) have every item bar coded. This means no tedious looking up of item codes such as produce. Helps long checkout lines go fast. Aldi employees, to my understanding, are graded on the number of items per minute that they scan. And no annoying loyalty cards at Aldi, TJ's or Meijer.
What makes me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We buy mostly at Walmart. 2 years ago I did comparison shopping with an Excel spread sheet comparing W with a local Hannaford in respect to name brand and equivalent store brand groceries, and W was much cheaper and also convenient. We liked that W does not do those sales gimmicks others do.

Since I compared same quality and same brands when looking at prices, I could no longer afford to not go to Walmart.
Last edited by likegarden on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

John3754 wrote:I use all three of these options depending on what I'm buying.
We just got a whole foods. Love it, but shop at all three, mostly trader joes.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

WSJ / Marketwatch article about groceries is appropriate for this thread: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-thi ... 2014-12-05
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

50% at the local wet market here (meat and veggies)
50% at the local grocers here (flour, meat, sauces, etc)
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

ZumZabo wrote:Also both Aldi and Trader Joe's (same parent company) have every item bar coded.
That's not the experience at the Aldi stores here where there are loose produce items that aren't tagged.
Macmungo

Post by Macmungo »

Odd that no one from the Carolinas seems to have shown up so far.

We shop at the grocery stores that are closest to where we live. Currently they are (a) Harris Teeter (merged with Krogers earlier this year -- we have our fingers crossed); (b) Fresh Market. Sometimes venture further afield to Trader Joe's.
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Rough order of amount:
farmers' market
meat supplier
whole foods (and a little other premium market)
local regular markets
costco
amazon
my garden :)
random other stores and ethnic markets
jmoroney

Post by jmoroney »

Market Basket while we are in MA. Wonderful prices, great service.
When in Florida, Walmart and what we can not get there Publix.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

+4 on Wegmans for 95% of groceries.
mochila

Post by mochila »

I wish we had an Aldi, just to see what all the fuss is about. The previous place I lived had an unimpressive Aldi, possibly because it also had Woodman's and Save-a-Lot.

These days most of my grocery shopping occurs at the chains (Kroger, Giant), supplemented by a CSA box and sporadic trips to an indie Whole Foods-esque place, in addition to a real Whole Foods and Fresh Market. I'm a proficient cook, so I'm not feeling the love for Trader Joe's. We're getting a Wegman's, and folks are so excited. It's as if people in my town do nothing but eat.
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I mainly go to the Walmart neighborhood market less than one block away from where I live.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

• - Whole Foods
    - Costco
    - Amazon.com
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VirginiaBob

Post by VirginiaBob »

Amazon/online for bulk nonperishables and perishables that last long - used to do Costco, but found that I can beat those prices online anytime. Dairy, produce - local grocery. Meats - local butcher every quarter for bulk purchase.
davegod75

Post by davegod75 »

+5 for Wegman's

and

Costco
my2014

Post by my2014 »

Probably 75% Whole Foods, 25% other (stop & shop, target, etc)
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

mochila wrote:I wish we had an Aldi, just to see what all the fuss is about. The previous place I lived had an unimpressive Aldi, possibly because it also had Woodman's and Save-a-Lot.

Aldi has upgraded their goods quite a bit in the past ten years. I went from refusing to shop there to shopping there 2x a week. Of course, the prices at Jewel an Dominick are what drove me there.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

All three. Plus we are members of a local Food Co-op.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Not sure if this had been posted before but I found it interesting. If Aldi starts accepting credit cards I would definitely get the AMEX card for the 6% rewards.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-finan ... edit-cards
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Mostly Busch's (SE Michigan chain) and a local store with breads, deli counter, some prepared items, dairy, specialty items and produce. I have a bad back and both have convenient parking and are small enough to get thru and get out before I'm ready to collapse.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Supermarket 50% (meat/produce mostly), Sams Club 40% (some meat, mostly non-perishables and staples), Whole Foods 10% (the seeds, nuts and spices she likes).

I can't shop at Walmart. Ours is a miserable experience and the savings isn't worth the misery. And she doesn't like Aldi's because according to her you don't know what's going to be in stock so it's hard to plan.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Smith's.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Grocery shopping:

1. Local independent (owned by a very large cooperative .... Central Grocers in Chicago area). Bag it yourself, very price competitive vs Costco.
2. Costco...once per month to keep my marriage running smoothly (she loves it).
3. Aldi about 1x month for certain items.
4. Our garden from May thru October and then the freezer in winter.

Ed
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I didn't realize how unloyal of a customer I am until trying to come up with an answer to OP's question. There wasn't a poll option that fit.

25% Safeway (only because it's the closest to home)
25% various Asian stores, especially Korean Korner
25% a couple of pricier gourmet stores, especially for meat
25% mix of other options, including Giant and Trader Joes
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Kroger 50%
Walmart 20% (not on weekends)
Aldis 10% (lacks a lot of what I need)
World Market 10% (I wish we had a regular H.E.B. where I live)
Sprouts 5% (nice but $$)
Costco 5% (just so darn busy)
victorb

Post by victorb »

Cub & Byerly's which are local. Walmart for certain items. Costco for shrimp, French Onion Soup, Cashews, etc. that are great from Costco
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

Fred Meyer (Kroger) - 30%
Safeway - 25%
Grocery Outlet - 15%
Trader Joe's - 10%
Schwan's Home Delivery - 10%
Other (Costco Wholesale, Winco Foods, QFC) - 10%

I guess we aren't particularly loyal to any one food merchant. We often buy "manager's special" markdowns on meat, particularly steaks, and freeze what we don't use immediately. We also buy "day old" markdowns on baked goods when possible. We regularly purchase from Schwan's because their frozen-food entrees, meats and vegetables are exceptionally good. Here's an interesting geographic breakdown:

Safeway - three stores, all located within 2-3 miles of our home
Grocery Outlet - one store located 2 miles from here
Fred Meyer - two stores, both about 5 miles from here
Trader Joes - two stores, both about 9 miles from here
Costco Wholesale - two warehouses, both about 9 miles from here
QFC - two stores located within 2-3 miles of our home

Location often trumps price for getting basics like bread, milk, eggs, fresh fruit and produce. Grocery Outlet, of course, has a frequent turnover of products so it's not really a "one stop" grocery store, and I've found that the meat and produce isn't quite up to the level of the other stores. If Trader Joe's was closer, we'd shop there more often, though their meat seems overpriced.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

Today, I drove out to the far end of the island and bought 8 Lobster Tails from a fisherman. Does that count as 'Groceries'?
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

Our choices are limited by schedules, commutes, traffic, etc.

If there were no traffic, and we had time to shop, it would likely be:
Costco 50%
Wegmans 25%
Trader Joes 25%

Instead, it's
Costco 60%
Trader Joes 20%
Whatever is closest: 20%

As our kids get older and move out, Costco will be less frequent.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Whole Foods (this is my splurge), Trader Joe's and online.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

The predicament of buying groceries at Costco Wholesale: if you aren't raising a family of hungry kids, the "wholesale" quantity sizes are going to take up a lot of space in your cupboards, refrigerator or freezer. Costco Wholesale is not a retailer, Costco is a wholesaler (hence their name) a/k/a "warehouse club". If wholesale grocery products are your thing, particularly for feeding a large family, check out Cash & Carry Smart Foodservice warehouses. Cash & Carry locations are open to the public and there's no membership or annual fee required. https://www.smartfoodservice.com/

We do occasionally buy groceries at Walmart and at Winco Foods, but locally the Fred Meyer hypermarkets tend to be the grocery value-price leader. Like Walmart, Fred Meyer's aggressive grocery pricing "gets people in the door" to buy other merchandise types with higher markups.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Aldi - Fruits & vegetables and eggs (few other staples)
Trader Joe's - Yogurt, nuts, cheese, crackers, cheap wine, some frozen veggies
Whole Foods - Wide variety of bulk grains
Generic Groc Chains - Broccoli (better quality than Aldi), some meats, sliced cheese, beer... sale stuff

I make the rounds. And then there are several local, independent ethnic food stores that are amazing adventures every time I go.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Aldi's for fruits and vegetables and a few other items.
Local discount grocery for great deals on whatever they happen to have. Recently they had Jenni-O ground turkey, 40 oz for $2.99. My spouse likes to buy slightly out of date protein bars for 25 cents.
Local grocery for most meats, bread, deli, eggs and gift cards discounted 10%.
Krogers for specials and romaine lettuce (recently been 99 cents/lb) and gift cards when they offer 4X for fuel rewards.
Walmart once or twice a year to get them to price match something that I would have to otherwise drive 30 miles for or for something that is not carried by anybody else in town.
Dmslax45

Post by Dmslax45 »

Just stumbled upon this and found interesting, as I am looking to be as efficient as possible in the grocery budget. We value quality foods, and gave Aldi/Lidl a try, and many things (specifically produce and meats) we found to be sub-par quality. Thinking of changing my strategy to shopping mostly at Costco, local farmers markets, and filling in for smaller items where quality may not matter as much at Lidl or Aldi. We are a family of 4 with 2 small kids (4&2), and typical month of groceries is around $1,300-$1,500.

I see people spending under $1k on groceries for their families, and wondering how...
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Costco - 25%
Aldi - 35%
Meijer - 40%

Never been to a Whole Foods.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.