Any regrets going from iOS to Android phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
C4NT

Any regrets going from iOS to Android phone?

Post by C4NT »

I have a iPhone 4S and recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 for $1 on a Black Friday deal. The phone will be delivered on Friday, and as I am researching ways to transfer my content I am having second thoughts. This is my second iPhone. I had a 3G prior to my 4S and so have had an iPhone for ~6 years.

On the one hand the S5 is good upgrade from my 4S. The iPhone 6+ would have been a similar upgrade but with a much higher price tag. I am excited about all of the features that the Galaxy S5 has, but am worried that the loss of iMessaging, podcasts via iTunes, and iCloud services that I use quite frequently will make me miss my iPhone.

Obviously this is not a real big problem (or really not even really a problem, more of an inconvenience). Worst case scenario, I switch back to my iPhone 4S and be out the dollar (plus $40 activation fee).

Has anyone switched to an android system and really regretted it?

Also, does anyone have any advice about transferring content? I currently plan on using Samsung's Smart Switch App.

Thanks.
The Wizard

Re: Any regrets going from iOS to Android phone?

Post by The Wizard »

I've never had an iPhone, always Android, presently Nexus 5.
I've never worried about transferring content, aside from contacts which is straightforward.
I move all pictures from old phone to PC somehow; easier now since pics optionally get uploaded to the Google cloud when you're on WiFi.
Other downloaded documents are generally obsolete anyway.

Welcome to Android...
Attempted new signature...
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
furwut

Post by furwut »

C4NT wrote:

Also, does anyone have any advice about transferring content? I currently plan on using Samsung's Smart Switch App.

Thanks.
If you have any contacts that have also have iPhones they may have been using iMessage instead of SMS to text you. You will want to research the issue and turn off iMessage before you deactivate the iPhone. This has been an issue for iPhone defectors.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

My wife's had an iphone for years and just upgraded to the iphone 6, so I'm very familiar with the ios smartphone environment. I finally got a smartphone earlier this year and went with the nexus 5.

IMO, the android experience, at least on nexus, is superior to ios. For me it's more intuitive getting from screen to screen, tapping the lower right for open apps rather than pushing the start button 2x at the bottom of the iphone. I like the 'ok google' search/assistant better than siri; I think it also works, which I wouldn't say for siri most of the time.

Lots more, but both have adherents. Give it a try. As you've noted you can always go back to ios.
Topic Author
C4NT

Post by C4NT »

furwut wrote:
If you have any contacts that have also have iPhones they may have been using iMessage instead of SMS to text you. You will want to research the issue and turn off iMessage before you deactivate the iPhone. This has been an issue for iPhone defectors.
Yes, thank you. I did come across this issue while doing my research.
ChicagoMedStudent

Post by ChicagoMedStudent »

Other than the iMessage issue already mentioned (which I think Apple is fixing due to a lawsuit against them for lost text messages), I overall prefer Android (even though I still use a Mac laptop). The Google Drive integration is better than iCloud IMO, as is the whole integrated feel of the Google ecosystem. The widgets are very useful for quick tasks, and there are just as many great apps. So I think you wont be disappointed.
Passions are the only orators which always persuade. - François de La Rochefoucauld
elwing

Post by elwing »

I didn't go to a phone, but went from an iPad (2) to a Samsung tablet (galaxy tab 3 from Costco) - hate the thing. I'm glad I sprung for the iPhone 6 when updating my phone. However, I have many friends who are in love with their Android devices, so I think it's more of a personal opinion than anything.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I have never had an iOS device.

If you google "copy sms from iphone to android", there are ways to accomplish that.

I am locked in to iTunes for my music library since I have an iPod Classic for listening to music in my car and at work. To make this work with my Nexus 5, I use an app called iSyncr Pro to sync iTunes playlists from my desktop or laptop. It will also sync unplayed podcasts in the same way. It syncs over Wi-Fi or USB and works well in conjuction with Rocket Player.

I have another app called Podcast Republic that allows me to download podcasts directly to my phone, if I want. You can export a file from iTunes that has all your podcast subscriptions and import the subscriptions in Podcast Republic.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

I went the other direction (Android to iOS) in 2013 and have no regrets.

My Android phone was a first-generation Galaxy S and was a huge improvement over what I had before (a Palm Treo). However it had an aggravating habit of freezing (becoming unresponsive to buttons or swipes) at which point I would have to remove/re-install the battery. I can't be sure, but I suspect this was due to some of the crapware which AT&T pre-loaded on the phone as part of their Android build.

My iOS phone is an iPhone 5s, which was a big improvement in performance and stability over the Galaxy S. After using both I like the iOS interface a little better and Android, but it's not a big difference.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

C4NT wrote:Has anyone switched to an android system and really regretted it?
Yes, I regret I didn't do it sooner.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I have an iPad, a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone and a Chromebook, so I'm familiar with both operating systems as well as Windows 8.1 which I have on my computer. I don't have a problem moving from one to the other, and I suspect you won't either.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

iPhone 4s to MotoX and no regrets at all.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
TFinator

Post by TFinator »

I regret not doing it sooner. Why did I pay so much for that phone?!?!!? :happy
ChicagoMedStudent

Post by ChicagoMedStudent »

I think that unless someone is really deep into either Apple's or Google's ecosystems, switching isn't particularly difficult. It's mostly a learning curve for a new operating system. Much of it comes down to taste in the end.
Passions are the only orators which always persuade. - François de La Rochefoucauld
sambb

Post by sambb »

i switched to android. quickly switched back. iOS just works - and works well for me. both have their supporters, but i far prefer iOS. Financially, it is nice to be in one of the ecosystems (apps, etc)
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

sambb wrote:i switched to android. quickly switched back. iOS just works - and works well for me. both have their supporters, but i far prefer iOS. Financially, it is nice to be in one of the ecosystems (apps, etc)
+1

I tried an Android phone a several years ago for a few days and HATED it so switched back. This probably says more about how stuck in my ways I am at the ripe old age of 38 than it does about the superiority of either OS.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

sambb wrote:i switched to android. quickly switched back. iOS just works - and works well for me. both have their supporters, but i far prefer iOS. Financially, it is nice to be in one of the ecosystems (apps, etc)
My husband also switched to android then switched back to iOS after about 6 months for the same reasons as above. I, on the other hand, will stick with android. I am writing this on my iPad and am wishing it was my Samsung phone. I am attached to the Google products (gmail, docs, chrome) which I feel are easier/better on Android. (I do like Apple computers, though, over Windows.)
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

I switched to android last year for the bigger screen. While I like my Galaxy S4, I am going back to iOS next week when I am eligible for an upgrade to the iphone 6 plus. I miss how everything with iOS is connected (MBP, AppleTV, etc). Also, I don't recall my iphone freezing up but my android does this quite often. I think it might be due to some apps I have. One really cool thing about android is how you are able to customize your phone. I will miss that when I go back to iOS.

There are plenty of ways to "switch" your content from iOS to android, such as music, but I found none of them were perfect.

EDIT: Swype on your android will be amazing. I know iOS has an app for it but it's not the same. Having said that, predictive text on the new iphones are much better, IMO.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

ERISA Stone wrote:EDIT: Swype on your android will be amazing. I know iOS has an app for it but it's not the same. Having said that, predictive text on the new iphones are much better, IMO.
Note that Swype and Swiftkey (and maybe some others) keyboards are available for iOS 8.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

wageoghe wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:EDIT: Swype on your android will be amazing. I know iOS has an app for it but it's not the same. Having said that, predictive text on the new iphones are much better, IMO.
Note that Swype and Swiftkey (and maybe some others) keyboards are available for iOS 8.
Swiftkey is great on android. While now available in ios8, apple has disabled the dictation option in swiftkey limiting its utility.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

I have an iphone 4s with my US number on it and a Nexus 5 with my Swiss number on it. Wife uses an iphone 6. I prefer Android but the switch took a bit getting used to it. My wife tried Android but didn't like it. I think it is all about personal preference. If you already have a lot of games etc. you bought for your ios phone then the switch is more costly.

The Nexus 5 is a lot cheaper as well when you buy it.
zag00

Post by zag00 »

Love my s4. Being able to have Pandora One(for free), AllCast Pro(paid app but got for free), and the ability to download torrents helps me save money with the movie-buff gf.
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

wageoghe wrote:
I know they're available but in my experience they don't work nearly as well on iOS as they do on android.
vesalius

Post by vesalius »

furwut wrote:
C4NT wrote:

Thanks.
About a month ago Apple put up a Web page dedicated to those that want turn iMessages off. Deregister and Turn Off iMessage
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

I have a personal Android (MotoX) but a work Iphone (5s)

I like the android more for most things, but Facetime is substantially superior for video chat than Google Hangouts, and most of my relatives have iphones.

And there's the occassional app (usually a game) that's only available for one or the other.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

My wife went from flip phones to LG chocolate with a proprietary smartphone like interface to Android devices. When we switch from Sprint prepaid (Virgin Mobile) to AT&T prepaid (Straight Talk) I though my wife might like an iPhone that only lasted a week and she wanted an Android device. Bought the iPhone used and the seller accepted a return and bought her a Nexus 4. I am in IT and I prefer Android for personal use and love the Fisher Price nature of iPhone for company provided phones. I would consider an iPhone if the prices were reasonable, I would jailbreak it for a more Android like customizations. Dollar for dollar I think Android devices are a better value. I will keep my Nexus 4 until they stop providing Android updates. My purchase limit on phones is $200 so I won't buy a high end (expensive) Android device either.

Here is one item that burned me up with Apple. My wife plays Words with Friends. On Android the app is completely free with no advertisements. On Apple devices it is ad support with video ads after every play and they wanted $5 for the paid version. Neither of us have any paid apps on our Android devices.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Easy Rhino wrote:And there's the occassional app (usually a game) that's only available for one or the other.
I've never had iOS, but this is one thing that bugs me. I frequently see articles online that purport to name "This month's 8 best new apps" or "6 terrific travel apps," and it's fairly common for roughly 3/4 of the apps on the list to be available exclusively on Apple. I will never willingly ensnare myself in the Apple ecosystem, but find things like that to be frustrating.