High quality winter sock

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

High quality winter sock

Post by snyder66 »

Looking for a winter sock that keeps my feet warm and does not fall down.
carolc

Re: High quality winter sock

Post by carolc »

Darn Tough.
And they are the only socks made in the US. Guaranteed for life. I don't buy anything else.

carolc
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

I like smartwool socks. They have dress and hiking styles, and the wool is not itchy.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
mass_biker

Ibex

Post by mass_biker »

Last winter I began wearing Ibex socks...after almost a decade of wearing their other stuff.
My solid go-to sock now - and affordable to "boot".
Not super thick like a hiking sock, but densely woven with good elastic so it stays up...
crg11

Post by crg11 »

I like SmartWool and Darn Tough. Perfect up here in New Hampshire.
marielake

Post by marielake »

Another smart wool vote here. My feet feel really cozy in them. In fact, I just bought everyone on my christmas list a pair to give as a gift.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Pro tip, if you have a local LL Bean outlet nearby, they sell "irregular" versions of the SmartWool socks for a few $ cheaper. Typically this means stuff like the lettering on the sock not meeting their standards (misspellings, font size not right, etc), the sock itself is perfectly functional.
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Sierratradingpost.com also has Smartwool with minor defects for a big discount and they usually have 10-20% off promo codes too.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 »

Spouse and I both vote for Smart Wool. I even gave them to her for Christmas, and on Thursday afterThanksgiving dinner, I overhead her telling her sister what a good gift that was.
The market goes up, the market goes down.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I finally decided to try some warmer socks last winter. I bought some Kirkland Signature Men's Outdoor Trail Socks at Costco, these are a Merino wool blend. I am happy with them, but do not have any experience with other alternatives.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

I was given a pair of FITS socks. I absolutely love everything about them. They are a wool blend, they stay up, they don't pick up foot odor, and are available in different weights and heights. They are pricey at $22 bucks a pair, but I just came back from a month long trip and didn't wear any other socks than the two pair of FITS socks that I brought.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

I'm not familiar with Smart Wool, but Costco occasionally have some nice wool (i assume blend) socks that are 4 pair for ~$12. I'm not sure if they are made the same but I'm wearing a pair now that I've probably had for 10 years. I wear them during all 4 seasons and they seem like new.
davebarnes

Wool

Post by davebarnes »

Darn Tough - some interesting colors (girls get better choices than boys)
Smart Wool - boring colors

For me, online at http://www.socksaddict.com/
A nerd living in Denver
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

I buy Fox River Socks from Mills Fleet Farm. Originally made in Appleton, Wisconsin and now made in Osage, Iowa. I wear their wool socks and hiking socks, depending on the weather.
http://www.foxsox.com/defaultEcomm.aspx
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sagenick48 wrote:Spouse and I both vote for Smart Wool.
Same here. I even wear them in the summer with hiking shoes. The wool breathes pretty well. They have lightweight ones that are fine for summer except in the hottest weather. In the winter, if I really need insulation I wear an old pair of thin dress socks (calf height) under the smartwools. The dress socks act like long johns for your feet and don't add much thickness.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

marstaton4 wrote:I'm not familiar with Smart Wool, but Costco occasionally have some nice wool (i assume blend) socks that are 4 pair for ~$12.
Those must be the same ones I had mentioned, I didn't remember the price...of course, I now realize that I could have easily found it :happy :

and the socks:
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

If you're a fan of Smart Wool, treat yourself to a pair of Point 6 (as in 98.6) socks. Same basic idea as SW, but just a few notches up in comfort (and cost :D ).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LowER

Post by LowER »

TomatoTomahto wrote:If you're a fan of Smart Wool, treat yourself to a pair of Point 6 (as in 98.6) socks. Same basic idea as SW, but just a few notches up in comfort (and cost :D ).
I was wondering when Point 6 would come up. Like holidays for your feet.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LowER wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:If you're a fan of Smart Wool, treat yourself to a pair of Point 6 (as in 98.6) socks. Same basic idea as SW, but just a few notches up in comfort (and cost :D ).
I was wondering when Point 6 would come up. Like holidays for your feet.
I appreciate that phrase "like holidays for your feet." :D

My teenagers (teenagers!) wear them year round, as do I.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Laundry_Service

jeffyscott wrote:
Those must be the same ones I had mentioned, I didn't remember the price...of course, I now realize that I could have easily found it :happy
Oops, I must have been skimming too much. Didn't see your post the first time. I'm actually wearing a pair of my older ones right now!
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

I guess I am not the first or even the tenth to recommend Smartwool socks, but I buy a few new pairs each year and they don't wear out for many years. I have bought other "comparable" seeming socks and they have NOT gone the distance.

In the women's socks, there is a variety of styles/thicknessess/patterns available. There used to be a very limited range of styles and patterns available but they seem to expand the range every year. I picked up two pairs at Nordstrom Rack just recently.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

marstaton4 wrote:
jeffyscott wrote:
Those must be the same ones I had mentioned, I didn't remember the price...of course, I now realize that I could have easily found it :happy
Oops, I must have been skimming too much. Didn't see your post the first time. I'm actually wearing a pair of my older ones right now!
No problem, looks like we're the "cheapskates" :greedy here, seems like everyone else is spending more than $12 for a single pair of socks. Judging by the $25 for 2 pair smartwool at costco.com.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'll second Smartwool as well, but switched over to the Costco socks several years ago. They used to be Head brand but now seem to be Kirkland brand. Very similar to Smartwool but a fraction of the price as others have mentioned. I can't tell the difference but for the lack of logo. Excellent quality.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I keep hearing that SmartWool makes the best winter socks but the price tag scares me off. Is this one of those things were I buy a pair and suddenly go out of control and throw out everything else?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

jridger2011 wrote:I keep hearing that SmartWool makes the best winter socks but the price tag scares me off. Is this one of those things were I buy a pair and suddenly go out of control and throw out everything else?
Yup, you'll then need the $2,700 set of new pots and pans, and the new high-end Range Rover, and...

what was your question...??

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

ResearchMed wrote:
jridger2011 wrote:I keep hearing that SmartWool makes the best winter socks but the price tag scares me off. Is this one of those things were I buy a pair and suddenly go out of control and throw out everything else?
Yup, you'll then need the $2,700 set of new pots and pans, and the new high-end Range Rover, and...

what was your question...??

RM
I am a bit worried the new pots and pans would be a poor decision to keep my feet warm.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

It's Denis Diderot's dressing gown you're thinking of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect
Laundry_Service

jeffyscott wrote:
No problem, looks like we're the "cheapskates" :greedy here, seems like everyone else is spending more than $12 for a single pair of socks. Judging by the $25 for 2 pair smartwool at costco.com.
I'll take that as a compliment!
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

jeffyscott wrote:I finally decided to try some warmer socks last winter. I bought some Kirkland Signature Men's Outdoor Trail Socks at Costco, these are a Merino wool blend. I am happy with them, but do not have any experience with other alternatives.
I do like them - the Costco near me has both a "mens" and a "womens" variety. I have both, the mens socks are thicker but seem to fall down a bit easier, while the womens ones are very comfy and stay put but are a little less warm. They have some womens socks in black/white/gray at the one near me in case anyone wants thinner ones but doesn't want pink and purple.

I went back and bought $50 of them after I tried the first package out. They feel nice, they're warm, they're washable, life is good.
randomthrowaway

Post by randomthrowaway »

I have been using REI's socks for the last 5 years. They are thick, warm and seem to hold up to anything, even my dog deciding that he wanted to chew on them.

http://www.rei.com/product/664970/rei-m ... 4530463960|
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

Pretty happy with my Field&Stream premium wool socks. Not 100% wool, but at least they are 0% cotton. Feet stay warm through marathon 12+ hour snowboarding days and lazy days at home alike, despite having very sweaty feet. I wash them in my normal laundry. Usually on sale for around $8/4-pack at Dick's toward the end of winter.

Not super durable... you get what you pay for. I'm not too hard on my winter socks, so these do the trick for me.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

My Costco socks are the reason that I started this thread...They have definitely lasted several years, now they constantly fall down.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

Picked up some Wigwam 40 Below at a half off sale. No idea if they're durable, but they keep my feet warm and the price was right.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

IMO smartwool has dropped in quality over the years and the price has gone through the roof ($17 for a pair of socks? Really?). REI and Costco socks are good. Also if you can get socks on sierra trading post, steepncheap, for good prices.
LadyIJ

High Quality Engineer Sock

Post by LadyIJ »

I cannot find these anywhere for husband. The new ones pill after one washing.