Documentaries to recommend?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbk734

Re: Documentaries to recommend?

Post by mbk734 »

Sprword.com has a ton of free documentaries. Many are strange conspiracy theory films but many are good.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

dbh25 wrote:
stumblebum wrote:Sholem Aleichem: Laughing in the Darkness
A Year in Burgundy
Where did you find "A Year in Burgundy"?
It's on Netflix. It's very good and as a wine fan you definitely have to watch Somm if you haven't already watched it.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
frugalguy

Post by frugalguy »

VictoriaF wrote:
frugalguy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:The Art of Procrastination - online, 2min51sec
For diversification, one can even procrastinate & waste time in Russian.

Here's a Russian Cat Watching the Luge (Youtube video) during the Winter Olympics.
Funny! Especially, if you understand Russian.
Just in general, what was the guy saying?

And I thank you in advance . Beyond one more cat post and the mods will probably resort to batting and clawing. Of course, the thread title can always be changed form DOGumentaries to CATumentaries and no harm to humans would ensue. :mrgreen:
tigerman3

Post by tigerman3 »

Probably have to take it with an Oliver Stone grain of salt, but I really enjoyed Untold History of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Sto ... ted_States
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

frugalguy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
frugalguy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:The Art of Procrastination - online, 2min51sec
For diversification, one can even procrastinate & waste time in Russian.

Here's a Russian Cat Watching the Luge (Youtube video) during the Winter Olympics.
Funny! Especially, if you understand Russian.
Just in general, what was the guy saying? And I thank you in advance.

The guy is talking to the cat as if she were a two-year old child. "Musya" is a female name. On one hand, he's encouraging her to watch luge, on the other hand he tells her not to scratch the screen. He talks to her gently and lovingly, as if she were a child. Most of the video takes place during an American luge ride, and both the Russian-language commentators on TV and the cat owner refer to the Americans in a friendly way.
frugalguy wrote:Beyond one more cat post and the mods will probably resort to batting and clawing. Of course, the thread title can always be changed form DOGumentaries to CATumentaries and no harm to humans would ensue. :mrgreen:
Alternatively, it can be changed from SLOWmentaries to RUSSIAmentaries.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SpecialK22

Post by SpecialK22 »

Most of what Vice News puts out, although maybe documentary isn't the best term for it. They tend to get a decent view from the inside of some very dangerous and controversial areas. For example, North Korea and the Islamic State. Their piece on the Islamic State was very well done and gave a great glimpse into fanaticism. https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic ... ull-length Vice News also has their own series on HBO simply titled "Vice."
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

triskelion wrote:The Fog of War (2003): The entire documentary is an interview with Robert McNamara. I learned more history in this one film than in whole classes in college.
+1000.

I watched the movie in the theater and on Amazon Prime. I didn't live through that time but I was mesmerized by Robert's telling of it. I'm so glad they were able to get his description of events before he passed.

What impressed me the most was how much detail he could remember about things. I can't remember much detail about things I did yesterday!
Electrum

Post by Electrum »

We enjoyed Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog.

Herzog and his crew obtained permission to enter the pristine Chauvet caves of Southern France. They filmed (under strict restrictions) the oldest known human painted pictures yet discovered. It was spectacular, and provided the inspiration for our daughter's admissions essay to Tuft's (accepted but went elsewhere).
TPS_Reports

Post by TPS_Reports »

stemikger wrote:
dbh25 wrote:
stumblebum wrote:Sholem Aleichem: Laughing in the Darkness
A Year in Burgundy
Where did you find "A Year in Burgundy"?
It's on Netflix. It's very good and as a wine fan you definitely have to watch Somm if you haven't already watched it.
Thanks. I remember reading a review (in a UK paper) of "A Year in Burgundy" when it came out and then promptly forgot about it. It sounded interesting to me. I will look for Somm also.
generalzodschicken

Post by generalzodschicken »

1) Citizenfour

2) Not sure if this qualifies as a documentary per se, but if you are at all interested in science, I highly recommend this three-day, broad-based survey of the universe/astronomy given by astrophysicist Chris Impey to NASA engineers. All parts are on YouTube, about 15 hours long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fLbgY ... bc-ZNqWMnz

He surveys the entire field, covering the basics to the current state of knowledge/controversies/theories. While the audience he is lecturing to is made up of NASA engineers, you don't need that background at all to find it interesting. He gives a lively, witty presentation with many asides.

Yes, I realize probably 90% of you might think this is deadly boring. YMMV.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

jaj2276 wrote:
triskelion wrote:The Fog of War (2003): The entire documentary is an interview with Robert McNamara. I learned more history in this one film than in whole classes in college.
+1000.

I watched the movie in the theater and on Amazon Prime. I didn't live through that time but I was mesmerized by Robert's telling of it. I'm so glad they were able to get his description of events before he passed.

What impressed me the most was how much detail he could remember about things. I can't remember much detail about things I did yesterday!
Robert had a lot to answer for, it's nice that he lived so long as to be able to tell his tale.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

If your into motorcycles, "On Any Sunday" is kind of fun.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Jodorowsky's Dune.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Last One by Neal Hutcheson, Sucker Punch Pictures. About moonshiner Popcorn Sutton's last run of "likker". http://www.suckerpunchpictures.com/last ... utton.html
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

Big + 1001

He Sure as heck he had much to answer for. To hear him talk of the Cuban Missle Crisis was just incredible.

Another favorite is the PBS Frontline 4 Hour Piece, The Arabs and the Israelis
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

OSUmountaineer wrote:The Two Escobars - about the relationship between the Medellin drug cartel in Colombia and the murder of Andres Escobar, a soccer player who scored an own goal in the 1994 World Cup against the USA.

Fantastic.
Where did you watch it?
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
Templeton

Post by Templeton »

Claude Lanzmann's epic documentary of The Holocaust, 'Shoah'.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

oragne lovre wrote:
OSUmountaineer wrote:The Two Escobars - about the relationship between the Medellin drug cartel in Colombia and the murder of Andres Escobar, a soccer player who scored an own goal in the 1994 World Cup against the USA.

Fantastic.
Where did you watch it?
It's on Netflix, along with almost all of ESPN's 30-for-30 series. IMO, it is the best of all the ESPN documentaries.
raymclean

Post by raymclean »

Thanks for creating this interesting post. I have enjoyed many of those mentioned and will put some others on my 'to-watch' list. Here are 2 that I saw at a recent film festival that are facinating and, to me, inspiring:
"The World Peace Game" http://www.worldpeacegame.orgtells the story of a public school teacher in Charlottesville, Virginia who created an educational exercise for his 4th grade students who assume roles as world leaders responding to a series of real world military, economic, political and environmental crises. This gives one a joyful reaffirmation that the kids are going to make a good world of it.
The 2nd is "Following the Ninth" which chronicles the spontaneous use of Beethoven's Ode to Joy at various upheavals of repression -- the fall of the Berlin Wall, Tienaman Square, the fall of Pinochet. Especially if you love that music, this will WOW you. http://www.followingtheninth.com
Enjoy!
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I've liked the same documentaries you've liked, and will add a +1 to the chorus for Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Man on Wire, the Up series, and Food, Inc. I also enthusiastically recommend the Ken Burns series of Jazz, Baseball, The Civil War, and The War (WWII).

A few that I don't think I've yet seen represented here are Religulous and Spellbound. If you like Hoop Dreams (and I LOVED Hoop Dreams), you might also like More Than A Game (about LeBron James in high school) and The Street Stops Here (Bob Hurley's St. Anthony's team). It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall really liking When We Were Kings, about Muhammad Ali and the Rumble in the Jungle.

I find the PBS programming (Frontline series) to be excellent, too, and particularly recommend "League of Denial," about the NFL and the evidence that football leads to a heightened incidence of brain disease related to concussions suffered during play.
vveat

Post by vveat »

I was checking out recently ballet-related documentaries, specifically ones that focus on the effort and practice it takes. I liked 2 in particular
"The dancer" - follows a student from the Royal Swedish Ballet School, really shows you almost physically the effort it takes, but also the beauty of it. I watched it twice over a couple of days, it's enchanting
"First position" - young dancers from different countries preparing for a major competition. It was fascinating to see the mix of background and motivating forces for each of them
frugalguy

Post by frugalguy »

vveat wrote:I
"First position" - young dancers from different countries preparing for a major competition. It was fascinating to see the mix of background and motivating forces for each of them
Yeah, that was one of the reasons I enjoyed the PBS documentray "Dance for Me". It was about ballroom dancing and I always wondered how ballroom partnerships started -- especially ones involving dancers from two different countries...Russia and Denmark in this case. And I wondered about the pressures of international competition. I was amazed that they'd have a preteen boy from one country actually live in the household of the preteen girl in the other country. I guess it makes sense in retrospect, but it wasn't the first arrangement I would have thought of. Eventually the boy had to move back to Russia since he not only missed his home and family but he had very different views on dancing than his partner. And he was moody and that kind of termperment didn't mix with his more outgoing partner. This wasn't a documentary I would have made a special effort to watch, but when I turned the TV on, it was already on and I got drawn in.
rai

Post by rai »

'Senna' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424432/ Best documentary I have seen (It's about the great race driver Senna)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron:_The ... n_the_Room (about Enron)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Dadarkar wrote:As whomever suggested I will watch anything Ken Burns makes !
Roosevelt's recently aired on PBS is a masterpiece
+1
All the Best, | Joe
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Babylon'13 is a series of short documentaries describing the Maidan movement in Ukraine. Today, I went to watch a Babylon'13 documentary on the art of the protests, followed by the discussion with Yuriy Gruzinov, the film director. The event was organized by Goethe Institute, as a part of the 25-year anniversary of the breakdown of the Wall. Now, people are saying that the Wall has moved to Ukraine.

Babylon'13 is filmed from inside the events. The crews blend with the environment so that the fighters would not artificially pose for them or avoid the camera all together. This makes filming extremely dangerous. Gruzinov said that he was wounded while working on one of the films.

Some Babylon'13 pieces are available on YouTube.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Just recently saw these two.

Magical Universe - This one was probably one of the weirdest documentaries I have ever seen. A little on the depressing side but fascinating and worth a watch. This captivating film reveals the wondrous world of a true American original: an 88-year-old, Barbie doll-obsessed recluse who creates extraordinary works of art.

Showrunners - Explores the fascinating world of the US television showrunner and the creative forces around them, as they battle daily between art and commerce to deliver television comedies and dramas to audiences worldwide.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Templeton wrote:Claude Lanzmann's epic documentary of The Holocaust, 'Shoah'.
Along the same vein, The Sorrow and the Pity and Hôtel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I liked most of the Michael Apted "Up" documentaries.
Gordon
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Just watched the Manor - A peculiar Jewish family attempt to nurse their relationships and themselves back to health while running a small-town strip-club. So dysfunctional, it can't be described.
beyou

Post by beyou »

whomever wrote:Anything by Ken Burns...'The West', 'The Civil War', 'Prohibition',.... I haven't watched all of them, but all of them I have watched have been excellent.

'Band of Brothers' was very good. It's not a traditional documentary - they hired actors to reenact a nonfiction story, and did a good job of it without changing the facts at all from the book, AFAICT.
+1 on Ken Burns BASEBALL has an "extra inning" coming. Watch the first 9 beforehand.
FreddieG

Post by FreddieG »

"Libby, Montana", about the WR Grace asbestos mine in Libby, MT.
Ged

Post by Ged »

gardemanger wrote:One of my all-time favorite documentaries is a Chilean movie called "Nostalgia for the Light." It's set in the Atacama Desert, which is home both to an observatory probing the mysteries of the universe and to bereaved mothers combing the desert for traces of the "disappeared" from the Pinochet regime. The connections between these two searches are movingly painted.
Thanks for this recommendation. My wife is Chilean and I've visited there a few times. One of my wife's nephews is a professional astronomer as well. This hit home in many ways.
ramsfan

Post by ramsfan »

Fantastic.
Oh yeah, this is fantastic!
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

One Bright Shining Moment: The Forgotten Summer of George McGovern (2005). [Political comments removed by Mod Mel.}
Last edited by hq38sq43 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry at Bradenton
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

The Lottery of Birth

Available on Amazon Prime and Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/567185)

From imdb: THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH is the first in a three-part documentary series entitled 'Creating Freedom' exploring the relationship between freedom, power and control in Western democracies. The series draws together interviews with some of the world's leading intellectuals, journalists and activists to offer an alternative perspective on today's society and the future we're creating. We do not choose to exist, or the environment we grow up in. Our starting point in life is one of passive reliance on forces over which we have no control. THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH shows that from birth onwards our minds are a battleground of competing forces: familial, educational, cultural, and professional. The outcome of this battle not only determines who we become, but the society that we create.
Cmdr.Splash

Post by Cmdr.Splash »

Interested in being a male host entertaining young Japanese ladies? Big money, hard work. (2007)

The Great Happiness Space
or,
The Great Happyness Space- Tales of an Osaka Love Thief
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

+1 to Jiro, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Man on Wire and Searching for Sugarman
+1M for Cosmos (both series)

If you like science and NdT "Great Courses" by him is interesting and slanted towards cosmology
If you're into cars, you have to see "Love the Beast". Eric Bana documentary on his Ford Falcon
If you want your mind blown with evil in the world watch "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father", its absolutely chilling that this is a real story
If you like military movies, watch "Restrepo"
If you care about animals, watch "The Cove", "The Whale" and "Blackfish" ...none are easy to watch but are all worth watching
If you're interested in income inequality, watch "Inequality for All"
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

jjunk wrote:"The Cove", "The Whale" and "Blackfish" ...none are easy to watch but are all worth watching
If you're interested in income inequality, watch "Inequality for All"
+1 Very hard to watch, but important for the reasons you stated.

On a much more pleasant note, I just watched Netflix original documentary entitled Print the Legend. It's about these startups who are trying to bring 3d printing to desktops at an affordable price. I passed this one several times thinking I would not like it but found it fascinating especially watching the evolution of Makerbot's CEO. He started out as this cool hipster hoping to change the world with his open platform and slowly became a major league A-hole in the likeness of Steve Jobs.
Cottons

Post by Cottons »

Mile, Mile and a Half - the John Muir Trail near (in) Yosemite National Park

Here is the website
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

The Fog of War
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Harvest of Shame (1962)

The Vetters: All We Needed (2013)
Last edited by jlawrence01 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

For those who like to run or are just curious about long-distance running, check out "The Spirit of Marathon" and "Desert Runners." These are well made documentaries.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

On American musical traditions, I like the collections at
http://culturalequity.org/rc/videos/video-guide.php
and
http://www.folkstreams.net/

Also, All you need is love

--
One more vote for the Up series by Michael Apted.

I was also shocked by a documentary on old Kowloon, the Walled City in Hong Kong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lby9P3ms11w

And, on a lighter (?) note, American Movie.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

I can't believe nobody mentioned Honey Badgers.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80003173 ... tocomplete
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I just saw this one on Netflix "Gerhard Richter Painting". It was fascinating to see this man paint and the techniques he uses. I was never into the process especially abstract and modern art until I saw Herb and Dorothy and now I'm hooked.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Dude2 wrote:I can't believe nobody mentioned Honey Badgers.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80003173 ... tocomplete
Honey Badgers don't care!
Batavus

Post by Batavus »

I have found http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/world-war-2-in-colour/ facinating. It is shown regularly on my PBS station.

This documentary on WW1 was also interesting: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/world-war-1-in-color/. But as you can imagine the film quality is a little poor.
HurdyGurdy wrote:One more vote for the Up series by Michael Apted.
There was a similar series about Doctors. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/doctors-diaries.html I think it shows several students at Harvard and then rejoins them several years later.

This doc on the Grand Coulee Dam was good: http://video.pbs.org/video/2218346883/

And one more: I saw a doc on the Pacific Crest Trail a couple of years ago. I actually don't think this is is the one I saw, but it gets you thinking: http://tellitonthemountain.com/, this is probably the one I saw: http://www.walkpct.com/
GolfGuy123

Post by GolfGuy123 »

tigermilk wrote:+1 on some of the other recommendations:

A Band Called Death - about an urban Detroit trio who predated the punk movement
This! Even if you are not a music lover, I think this is a great documentary to watch. It is one of my personal favs. (and I watch a lot of docs.) Someone also mentioned Hoop Dreams, great film. Wish I could remember the name of it but I once watched a doc. about amish boys who go on their "Rumspringa", fascinating stuff, IMO at least.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Out of the Clear Blue Sky.

Touching documentary regarding the loss of life for Cantor Fitzgerald during the September 11th terrorist attacks and their CEO's response. Available on Netflix.

http://www.outoftheclearblueskymovie.com/synopsis/
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
david99

Post by david99 »

Forks Over Knives
This is an interesting documentary about the benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet.