Do I really need a car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jal20

Do I really need a car?

Post by jal20 »

My roommate lives in Redwood City and we’re both planning on living in her pool house until we have enough money to rent our own studio. Would it be wise to get a car and split expenses with my roommate or should I just rely on taking the train to work (Cal train), and bike wherever else I need to go? Obviously petrol is expensive but I might need to get around beyond the basic train route. I am trying to save as much money as possible but still want to be flexible for my job.

Hope you can help me,
Jal20
drawpoker

Re: Do I really need a car?

Post by drawpoker »

First question =

How would this proposed car be titled? In whose name? Both names?

You say you want to "split expenses" for this proposed car purchase? Not sure exactly what you mean - ? ? ?

Do you mean you would actually buy (and title in your name) the car, and then the roommate would pay for the gas if she used the car ?

Please clarify just what you are, er, driving, at here to be clear.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

jal20 wrote:... but I might need to get around beyond the basic train route.
How often and how far? It might be cheaper to just rent on an as needed basis.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Zip Car. That's what I do when transit or manual transportation won't suffice.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I had a friend who did fine without a car in Redwood City. I assume you are in the more downtown-ish part and not the suburbia part of that city.

When you relocate keep public transport in mind. It is possible in many areas of the Bay Area to rely on public transport alone, assuming you get your work covered with that somehow.

I used to live in downtown San Jose and enjoyed walking, biking, using the public transport, etc., even though I had a car. But what I needed a car for most was meeting up with friends. Nowadays, maybe UberX type services can be a replacement for that.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If you are under 35, you do not need a car if you have friends that have cars. If you are over 35, you would probably not be asking this question.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
wander

Post by wander »

For me, sometimes, it's unsafe to ride a bike. My friend's cousin died recently while riding a bike that was rear-ended by a car.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Yeah give it a try. I'm car free. I retired at 51 with a paid up condo located in the center of a major US city. Within 7 blocks of me I can find every conceivable need or want. I used my bike to commute to my job for the last 20 years. I also lived on a direct train route for those times I didn't want to ride.

Apart from work you want to pay attention how far the nearest decent grocery store is. I live above a 24 hour CVS store. 2 major grocery stores are just 10 minutes walk away. 3 more are just 10 minutes bike ride away. Because everything is so convenient I tend to buy just what I need for a day or two and rely on making frequent trips.

Having the right bike(s) can also matter. I have 2. One is a single speed with a small basket and bag attached to the front. I use this bike for trips around the city. The other is a Surly Long Haul Trucker. This is a beefy touring bike meant to transport weight. I have a rack and large shopping pannier bags that attach to it. I use this bike for shopping trips when I intend to buy a lot. It's my station wagon. :happy

For more practical tips and considerations you should check out this sub-forum on Bike Forums:
Living Car Free
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

furwut wrote:Yeah give it a try. I'm car free. I retired at 51 with a paid up condo located in the center of a major US city. Within 7 blocks of me I can find every conceivable need or want. I used my bike to commute to my job for the last 20 years. I also lived on a direct train route for those times I didn't want to ride.

Apart from work you want to pay attention how far the nearest decent grocery store is. I live above a 24 hour CVS store. 2 major grocery stores are just 10 minutes walk away. 3 more are just 10 minutes bike ride away. Because everything is so convenient I tend to buy just what I need for a day or two and rely on making frequent trips.

Having the right bike(s) can also matter. I have 2. One is a single speed with a small basket and bag attached to the front. I use this bike for trips around the city. The other is a Surly Long Haul Trucker. This is a beefy touring bike meant to transport weight. I have a rack and large shopping pannier bags that attach to it. I use this bike for shopping trips when I intend to buy a lot. It's my station wagon. :happy

For more practical tips and considerations you should check out this sub-forum on Bike Forums:
Living Car Free

How are US grocery stores on on line order and deliver?

Here in the UK all the major grocery multiples now do it. Despite London's horrific traffic, they will give you time of day slots.

ASDA (ie WalMart) has come up with something even cleverer. Click and collect at the station parking lot on the way home. *that* is lateral thinking, cuts out the biggest problem in the last mile delivery (that the customer isn't home).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jal20 wrote:My roommate lives in Redwood City and we’re both planning on living in her pool house until we have enough money to rent our own studio. Would it be wise to get a car and split expenses with my roommate or should I just rely on taking the train to work (Cal train), and bike wherever else I need to go? Obviously petrol is expensive but I might need to get around beyond the basic train route. I am trying to save as much money as possible but still want to be flexible for my job.

Hope you can help me,
Jal20
As per other posts:

- if you can make commuting work
- if you feel safe to bicycle - make sure you have lights, high visibility reflective jacket etc.
- if you can get access to a car via Zipcar etc when you need it
- it it's not going to ruin your social life

I have managed to avoid owning a car for long stretches of my life. No insurance. No lineup to renew my license. No depreciation or repairs on a mass of metal that sits on the street so I can worry about it getting knocked, stolen or vandalized. Gas really was the least of my worries and expenses in owning a car.

In other words, heaven.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

If you're still a full time student or if you're older and in assisted living, no car is needed.
Otherwise, yes, you need a fast car to participate fully in the American experience...
Attempted new signature...
furwut

Post by furwut »

Valuethinker wrote:
How are US grocery stores on on line order and deliver?
I've never used that service but I see the delivery trucks nearly every evening. I suppose for a large order the delivery fee would be reasonable. With grocery stores so close it seems strange that someone couldn't take just an hour a week to do shopping. On the other hand many of my neighbors are extremely busy and travel frequently for work so the convenience is nice.

Many US retailers will allow one to order online and pick the items up at a local store thus saving shipping costs. Haven't seen any grocers do that yet.