Winter Coat

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J295

Winter Coat

Post by J295 »

Have you seen the Plugger cartoon .... well, I'm a plugger with my 20 year old winter coat with the broken zipper that sometimes works if I use a paper clip to coax it up or down. Granted I only wear it to walk the dog and do outside winter work (I have a nice leather jacket and wool top coat), but still it's time.

I'm tall and slender with 36" dress shirt sleeves. Winters here can put you in the deep freeze for weeks at a time (read zero degrees and below).

Cost is not a concern, within reason.

Any insights? All I'm really familiar with is North Face, which seem quite popular (all of the rest of the family wears NF jackets, but the plugger stuck with the old coat until now).

Thanks!
barnaclebob

Re: Winter Coat

Post by barnaclebob »

I'm guessing durability is a concern over weight? Skip the north face, their stuff is pretty cheap these days. You'll hardly ever see it on the north face of any mountain.

Pay really close attention to the zipper because its what will wear out first in all likelihood. Skip jackets with a coil zipper. The thread that holds the spiral in place wears out then the coil unravels making it useless.

I'd recommend a down coat made by Feathered Friends but not sure if thats up to "outside winter work" depending on what that means. If you don't want to pay that much then look at outdoor research. They fully stand behind their products and will replace or repair them for free if they wear out for any reason.

Although someone here will probably be able to recommend a more jacked more suited to outdoor yard work.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Patogonia makes good stuff. I love my Eddie Bauer down coat (its cheaper then Patogonia). Anything with goose down is good, go for 600-880 fill.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

LL Bean
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

If you have money to burn, consider Canada Goose jackets. Although there is a bit of a hipsterish quality to them (at least these days), they are exceptionally warm and seems to be high quality. The arm length might be an issue, however, although their parkas might fit you (and, given their warmth, you might get by just fine with nothing more than one of their vests).

Personally, I have had very good success with Lands End jackets. Good quality and warmth for the dollar.

LL Bean might be worth a look as well.

Carhartt might be the leader in "outdoor work" jackets though. I picked up a jacket at a thrift store in Montana and it is very warm and certainly seems to be quite durable.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Lands End and J Crew are my favorites for me. I'm replacing a 13 year old J Crew wool double-cloth coat with another JCrew (this time I'm splurging on the Thinsulate) wool plaza coat.

I trust Lands End and LL Bean to keep my little people warm and dry.

FWIW - I'm in WI and female.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

A year ago, my son bought a Columbia coat/jacket that had an inner reflective layer. I admonished him that it was much too light for a NE winter. Well, there was something magical in that coat, because he was toasty while I felt cold. They say every generation is supposed to be smarter than the previous. I'm going to REI next week.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
whomever

Post by whomever »

I've had an old Air Force parka for decades. Search for 'N3-B Parka'. They seem to be readily available, both surplus and new, for a hundred some bucks - Amazon among many other vendors. I used to walk across town to work in Wyoming, and it was the bee's knees. They last forever - mine still looks new.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You really want to go to a thrift store, don't you? I see nothing wrong with that. Get your coat there.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

Great stuff. Thanks to everyone who has responded.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

For a great casual winter jacket, I'd go with Mammut over North Face any day. Better looking and fitting. $150 to $300, REI and other major retailers have them.

I have a black puffer style (not down) with a hood that somehow stays comfortable at any temp from 50F to -5F.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I can't vouch for current quality but I have a Columbia jacket that must be going on 20 years and still looks pretty good (I did replace the zipper). I find I prefer a waist-length coat because longer ones are difficult in the car. And essential are elastic cuffs and elastic waist band to keep the warm air in.
Happy Columbia customer in Minnesota.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Any of the brands mentioned above will suffice. Check out the Goodwill rack first. I found a lightly-worn Columbia Sportswear coat there yesterday.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
TSR

Post by TSR »

Not sure what your jacket size is, but I was happy to find that Filson makes a Mackinaw Cruiser in a size 38-Extra Long(which you probably realize is very rare in higher-end stuff):

http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw ... duct=1011/

This is also a good looking coat.

I also like the Tall sizes in LL Bean and Eddie Bauer, if you want something sportier.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Check out Sierra Trading Post. They offer many (most?) of the brands mentioned in this thread at discount prices. It could be last year's model, but that doesn't sound like an issue for the OP. :wink: Currently, they are running an "extra 30% orders of $100+" deal.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

TomatoTomahto wrote:A year ago, my son bought a Columbia coat/jacket that had an inner reflective layer. I admonished him that it was much too light for a NE winter. Well, there was something magical in that coat, because he was toasty while I felt cold. They say every generation is supposed to be smarter than the previous. I'm going to REI next week.
My spouse picked up a new Columbia jacket this year after having/using her old Columbia jacket for about 20 years. The new one is half the weight and from my understanding its just as warm or warmer than the old one. Will see how true that is as we are just starting to hit the deep freeze, but so far so good.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Layers are the way to go right?

So I would buy a down vest, and top it with a Barber coat. Barber coats stared as British hunting coats. The are heavy cotton that is topped with wax. I know it sounds strange, but they are hardy, warm, wind and rain resistant. They will last for generations if taken care of. Generally they have lots of pockets & a snap off hood. A bit pricy.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Filson.

Last coat you will need to buy.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

cherijoh wrote:Check out Sierra Trading Post. They offer many (most?) of the brands mentioned in this thread at discount prices. It could be last year's model, but that doesn't sound like an issue for the OP. :wink: Currently, they are running an "extra 30% orders of $100+" deal.
STP is the place to shop for tons of gear/apparel at crazy prices. The coupons they send out on occasion will get me name brands for more than 1/2 off easily. Great return policy too. You can purchase a variety of coats, then keep the one you like. Same with shoes/boots/etc.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

L.L.Bean and Land's End. At the latter stores, check out the "return" department. Some down parkas and coats, including reversibles, will go for $100 or more off the regular price.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
lululu

Post by lululu »

Note that LL Bean thinks all women are short.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

lululu wrote:Note that LL Bean thinks all women are short.
In what way?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

lululu wrote:Note that LL Bean thinks all women are short.
As a short woman (5'3"), I have to disagree. LL Bean fits the same as Lands End, Banana Republic, J Crew (which actually probably runs "short" more than others).
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

For working coats/jackets, I like LL Bean and/or Carhartt.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

TomatoTomahto wrote:A year ago, my son bought a Columbia coat/jacket that had an inner reflective layer. I admonished him that it was much too light for a NE winter. Well, there was something magical in that coat, because he was toasty while I felt cold. They say every generation is supposed to be smarter than the previous. I'm going to REI next week.
Both of my sons have a similar Columbia coat. Seems like a fine mix of value for the money (solid value, not all that much money). We have had lots of luck with that brand over the years.

Of course their metabolism these days is a lot higher than mine. One walks 30 minutes to school in shorts and t-shirt as long as it is 40 degrees or higher. Today he put on light nylon athletic pants and did put a light sweat-shirt in his pack back just in case his short sleeve nylon T-shirt was a little light. It was in the mid-thirties and damp.

So I'm not sure I should compare my level of comfort in my Mourtain Hardwear down jacket vs their less expensive synthetic Columbia jackets. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Funny, I just bought a new winter coat yesterday, and I am similarly long of arm.

Got it at Target. Their store brand. 20% off.

Fits great and is quite warm. (Although it's more of a "fashion" coat and probably not the sort of thing you'd want to go wood chopping or ice fishing in.)

I though only college students wore North Face these days? They're like the modern equivalent of the raccoon coat. :D
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
skinhealer

Post by skinhealer »

Spyder is a very company and it is excellent for cold weather. (i.e skiing). It is a little pricy though.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

1. Mackage, very expensive, can be very warm, functional, and is very high quality,

2. Moncler, more expensive, less warm than Mackage, possibly more fashionable, but also very warm. Also high quality,

3. Canada Goose. IMO, the warmest of the three.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Another option is Duluth Trading. Dh is tall torso-ed and got a very nice, down firehose coat there.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

J295 wrote:I only wear it to walk the dog and do outside winter work...
Carhartt - http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ao=0&Nty=1 - is the (US) standard for those who work outside year round. They are heavy, but incredibly tough. Note that most of their jackets and coats aren't super warm, they are meant to be worn as a shell that works by itself down to around 50 degrees and you add underlayers as needed below that. Prices are in the $100-$200 range, or about 50-75% below comparable coats from Filson or Barbour.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Rodc wrote:
Both of my sons have a similar Columbia coat. Seems like a fine mix of value for the money (solid value, not all that much money). We have had lots of luck with that brand over the years.

Of course their metabolism these days is a lot higher than mine. One walks 30 minutes to school in shorts and t-shirt as long as it is 40 degrees or higher. Today he put on light nylon athletic pants and did put a light sweat-shirt in his pack back just in case his short sleeve nylon T-shirt was a little light. It was in the mid-thirties and damp.

So I'm not sure I should compare my level of comfort in my Mourtain Hardwear down jacket vs their less expensive synthetic Columbia jackets. :)
I tried a Columbia Mighty Lite hooded jacket. I couldn't even get through October in Chicago in it. Sent it back and replaced it with a cozy and surprisingly stylish down parka from lands end. So far so good, but February is the real test...
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

For <0 degrees I would go with a down jacket with layers underneath. If you have REI locally, check them out, they'll be having a sale soon with 20% off one full-prices item. Great return policy - if you decide it's not up to your standards, just bring it back. Wife and I are both huge Columbia addicts, though lately the quality of some of their garments has turned to cr@p. I also like Marmot. I've biked in a soft-shell Marmot + fleece down to 12F and I was fine, though I was producing a good amount of body heat.

Buy Canada Goose only if you're a suburban mom driving a Lexus SUV and wishing to make a statement about your income or if you're a bona-fide Arctic Explorer. CG is quite expensive and probably overkill.

If you don't care about how it looks, have a look at Carlhartt. Their target market is the working man, so their stuff can weather the elements and lasts. I have a friend who works inspecting bridges and he swears by Carlhartt's winter boots and pants - says they weren't cheap, but they've lasted over 10 years so far!
Last edited by autonomy on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

mlipps wrote: I tried a Columbia Mighty Lite hooded jacket. I couldn't even get through October in Chicago in it. Sent it back and replaced it with a cozy and surprisingly stylish down parka from lands end. So far so good, but February is the real test...
I think I found your problem:

"100% Polyester"

With all the newfangled advances in technology and garmentology, down/feather are still the warmest. Millions of years of evolution can't be wrong.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Alex Frakt wrote:
J295 wrote:I only wear it to walk the dog and do outside winter work...
Carhartt - http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ao=0&Nty=1 - is the (US) standard for those who work outside year round. They are heavy, but incredibly tough. Note that most of their jackets and coats aren't super warm, they are meant to be worn as a shell that works by itself down to around 50 degrees and you add underlayers as needed below that. Prices are in the $100-$200 range, or about 50-75% below comparable coats from Filson or Barbour.

You are correct that they are NOT the warmest jacket and that they are meant as part of a layering system. They are intended more for people who are doing work outdoors in the winter as opposed to say, standing around looking at a football game. I was on a construction site in Chicago last week and I believe that at least 75% of the guys were wearing Carhartt.

And that is why my brother now has all my Carhartt gear.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

a couple of years ago, i bought a Navy Pea coat at my local surplus store (Bethesda,Md). It was about $75. Warmest thing there is! Only minus: no inside pocket. Can't beat it!
Marty
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

autonomy wrote:
mlipps wrote: I tried a Columbia Mighty Lite hooded jacket. I couldn't even get through October in Chicago in it. Sent it back and replaced it with a cozy and surprisingly stylish down parka from lands end. So far so good, but February is the real test...
I think I found your problem:

"100% Polyester"

With all the newfangled advances in technology and garmentology, down/feather are still the warmest. Millions of years of evolution can't be wrong.
Yes, I agree. However, others above seem to speak highly of the "Omniheat" technology so wanted to add my opposing view point.

I spoke too soon about February being the real test, by the way, as it was 11 degrees this morning at my house. :annoyed My coat worked great though! Now I just need to get some warmer boots & I will be all set for winter. It seems to be here, like it or not. :(
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

My Eddie Bauer down jacket has held up very well and is very warm. Of course my having purchased it 15 years ago tells you nothing about what the quality of the line is like today. I second the suggestion to check the quality of the zipper, that is the most likely point of failure ( initially ).
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

As a poster above mentioned.....Filson.

Woolrich is also good, but I hear they've declined a bit over the years. I have a Woolrich that I'm very happy with, but I've drooled over some Filsons.
harmony

Post by harmony »

With your sleeve length and body build, maybe you'd want to limit your choices to only "Tall" versions of whatever size you are. If "Medium Tall" is your measured size, watch out for too much restriction in the armholes. Sometimes one can see the quality of the coat in a department store, but if the sleeves are too short, then mail order the "Tall" size in whatever size fits. "Tall" sizes seem to be offered in fewer quantities than "Regular" sizes, so it helps to get the coat on an early sale (think holiday sale) coming up soon.

Some large department stores have a "Big and Tall" department. Unfortunately, in a lot of those stores, this means that the selections are for men who are both heavy weight and tall. For Medium Tall and Large Tall sizes, often the best choices are online. Sometimes a coat search will have to span 2-3 years because the places are all sold out. So if you find one that fits, snap it up.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

I picked this up at Costco yesterday:

http://www.costco.com/Gerry-Men's-Pro-S ... 06167.html

So far it seems well worth $40.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

A lot depends on what you do.

If I'm only outside for half an hour or so layering is inconvenient. I'd rather have a single thick coat I can don and doff quickly, and get crude temperature control with the zipper. If I'm outside all day I'll go with multiple layers and adjust as needed.

Down. I avoid it. For my purposes, "If it gets wet you die". Modern synthetics are much more tolerant.
Ged

Post by Ged »

J295 wrote:Winters here can put you in the deep freeze for weeks at a time (read zero degrees and below).
30+ years ago I lived in a place like that. Syracuse NY. Sub zero was not unusual. You could count on an occasional -20 now and then. When I was a grad student I had to commute to campus by bus. The bus stop was on a hill top. Windy. No trees. The bus schedule was just a suggestion so you might have to wait a while.

I ended buying an high quality down expedition parka from a company named Black Ice. I don't think they are around any more. It was great for waiting at the bus stop. I looked like a giant blue marshmallow wearing it.

Down is a pain to take care of but there is nothing that can match it for warmth.

The thing was after I graduated and started commuting by car to my job the parka was too warm. I'd start sweating in it if it in the car. So just a note - it's possible to end up with something too warm even if you live in a really cold place.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

J295 wrote:I'm a plugger with my 20 year old winter coat with the broken zipper that sometimes works if I use a paper clip to coax it up or down.
Zippers aren't expensive to replace. It's an option to explore if the coat is otherwise OK.

Some higher-end brands of sports wear offer a life time guarantee, e.g. Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Columbia, etc. They also tend to be more liberal than their "normal wear and tear excluded" might suggest. Even if wear and tear is excluded they usually do repairs at a reasonable price. Case in point, the zipper on my wife's Columbia parka broke a year or so ago. She bought the coat several years ago and had lost the receipt. I contacted Columbia about what they could do. They had me send the coat to their facility in Canada for inspection. A few days later they called to say they'd replace the zipper under warranty. A week or so later the coat arrived. No charge for the repair or return shipping.

It's worth checking the maker's website to see what sort of warranty they offer, then contact them to see what they can do for you. You may get another 20 years out of your coat for just the cost of shipping.

I have two Eddie Bauer down parkas. One is at least 35 years old; the other 20+ years old. Both show signs of wear but they're still going strong. The newer one has a Gore-Tex outer shell so is mostly waterproof in rain and wet snow.

I've looked at LL Bean's Baxter State parkas as well although I don't have one. They seem to be comparable to the high-end Eddie Bauers. As someone else pointed out you can get substantial reductions at the LL Bean outlet stores on returned merchandise.

If you can wait until February LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, et al sell overstock on their websites at drastically reduced prices. Sizes and quantities are limited. Get on their e-mail mailing lists so you get a heads-up, then register so you can get through checkout quickly. A couple of winters ago I "lost" a bargain parka that was in my shopping cart while registering at the website. Snooze and lose. (Note however that these are overstocks. If winter is harsh there will be slim pickings in February. OTOH if winter is mild expect a cornucopia of bargains.)
autonomy wrote:Buy Canada Goose only if you're a suburban mom driving a Lexus SUV and wishing to make a statement about your income or if you're a bona-fide Arctic Explorer. CG is quite expensive and probably overkill.
Around here it's mostly university students. How they can afford them, as with Apple iStuff, remains a mystery. Obviously they're not Bogleheads and very proud of it [their ignorance] :(

And yes CG is overkill in most urban/suburban areas where you're going to wear a coat from a heated home to a heated car to a heated building.

If you do succumb to the CG mania, beware of fakes, especially on the Internet. Genuine CG rarely goes on sale and when it does the discount isn't very large. As usual, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Ged wrote:... I looked like a giant blue marshmallow wearing it.
There should be a prize ("best laugh of the day" or something similar) for posts like this. :D
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

There was a chap at our office who wore a parka similar to this but even puffier. We referred to him the Michelin tire man.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Here is what on sale at J.C. Penney - can get free shipping most of the time
J295 wrote:...broken zipper that sometimes works if I use a paper clip to coax it up or down.

$4.00 at Staples - will get you through another winter. These are called paperclips 2.0 :D

onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

My Schmidt's coat has kept me plenty warm for 3 Northern Ohio winters now and it still looks brand new. Similar styling and durability to a Carhartt, but significantly lower price. Just formal looking enough to wear around town and to work and plenty tough for any outdoor work in subzero weather. Having a built in padded hood makes the harsh winters more bearable.

http://www.tractorsupply.com//ProductDi ... uctDisplay
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

J295 wrote:Winters here can put you in the deep freeze for weeks at a time (read zero degrees and below).
I'm a bit of a clothes horse when it comes to technical wear. The current trend is down insulation, in particular water resistant down e.g. DownTek, Q.Shield. Artificial fabrics cannot match the insulation and lightness of down, and the water resistant treatment mitigates down's greatest weakness. A layering system is the way to go for flexibility and value throughout the seasons. A down jacket can be warm enough for fall and spring, but when it gets really cold and wet, put on a waterproof and breathable outerlayer over the down i.e. hardshell or softshell e.g. Gore Tex Pro Shell 3L.

Reviews

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

Depending on what's around you, I usually find great deals on parkas at ski/snowboard shops early in the year. I would definitely recommend going to your local one and price comparing with the sites listed here, but truth be told, my local shop has always been a lower price if not dead equal with stuff on the web. Also, it is really convenient because they will have other gear that you may want to go along with a coat, like face masks, hats, ear muffs, etc.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

I recently discovered Costco for shirts, sneakers, socks,and slacks. Had nice coats also.