google account overlap on mobile phones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kwan2

google account overlap on mobile phones

Post by kwan2 »

has anyone else noticed, that if they set up 1 google account on their smartphone, and use a different one on their desktop/laptop, and use the desktop gmail account, to also pull-in/ POP the account using the smartphone, that the smartphone emails, are being sent to the desktop gmail account directly , NOT just showing up in the inbox, but apparently relabled to the account NOT on the smartphone? or is it somehow my imagination?

i'm not really wanting my smartphone to have 'knowledge' of my other google accounts, is the thing
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
jebmke

Re: google account overlap on mobile phones

Post by jebmke »

This is what you should expect.

If it isn't what you want, then you should stop the forwarding and either access the two accounts independently in your browser or use a client like Thunderbird to collect all your email on the desktop.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

thx but am not 'forwarding' anything, i'm using 'POP' to get smartphone emails to the desktop email account , why wouldn't they stay addressed to the original account address, like all the other emails?

i tried to go back to thunderbird, but it became broken, and was too much hassle to figure out all the parameters to fix it , so gave up , i've done this a few times over the years, using IMAP with Tbird, when something requires too much time to keep it working, i eventually give up on it ......fwiw
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

Sounds like you have some misconfigured parameters in your desktop gmail account. You should review these, and also make sure you're not running something that is notoriously temperamental like Exchange Server or old BSD/Unix implementations of SMTP services. Remember that when you configure, you want to ensure that you have the correct ports forwarded on your router so the mail can find its way to your desktop client; otherwise, if the router lets it through at all, it will try to respond to whichever incoming mail client it can find on the LAN because it cannot reach the original intended hostname:port due to bad routing tables.
Topic Author
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

you seem to be referring to my thunderbird IMAP setup? can you give me an example of a misconfiguration? also I'm using ddwrt on my router.

but, in short, this is just what I'm talking about problem-solving routers is over my head, esp. networking, I might be able to fix it with a big time investment, but don't want to do that repeatedly, hence, i'm back to the web GUI......... sigh
Zecht wrote:Sounds like you have some misconfigured parameters in your desktop gmail account. You should review these, and also make sure you're not running something that is notoriously temperamental like Exchange Server or old BSD/Unix implementations of SMTP services. Remember that when you configure, you want to ensure that you have the correct ports forwarded on your router so the mail can find its way to your desktop client; otherwise, if the router lets it through at all, it will try to respond to whichever incoming mail client it can find on the LAN because it cannot reach the original intended hostname:port due to bad routing tables.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Funny you should describe a gmail sharing problem. I don't know if what I experienced has anything to do with you, but I recently noticed a strange change of email addresses of a recipient email. I sent email to one email address in my contacts, and in the replies, it used a different email in my contacts. There is a lot of sharing going on with phone, mail apps, gmail app, gmail accounts, and such. Sometimes, you have to track down the specific item/level of the problem to narrow down the issue. Sometimes it's a bug, other times, it's working exactly as it's supposed to, and other times, it's doing something arbitrary or unexpected, but not necessarily wrong.
kwan2 wrote:has anyone else noticed, that if they set up 1 google account on their smartphone, and use a different one on their desktop/laptop, and use the desktop gmail account, to also pull-in/ POP the account using the smartphone, that the smartphone emails, are being sent to the desktop gmail account directly , NOT just showing up in the inbox, but apparently relabled to the account NOT on the smartphone? or is it somehow my imagination?

i'm not really wanting my smartphone to have 'knowledge' of my other google accounts, is the thing
So, can you give some examples of what exactly is going where it shouldn't or not going where it should? This is what I interpret so far:

1) phone setup with smartphone@gmail.com
2) desktop setup with desktop@gmail.com
3) you log into desktop@gmail.com, settings, account and imports and setup POP3 to check smartphone@gmail.com. Looks like you're importing the smartphone@gmail.com email into the desktop@gmail.com account. Is that your intent?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en

4) When you log into smartphone@gmail account, do you see any emails you shouldn't see? Why do you think smartphone@gmail.com has any knowledge outside that account? Are you experiencing the problem in the phone or the browser or an app? And what account or accounts are they logged into? It's possible/likely you're logged into multiple accounts in multiple places.
Topic Author
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

so, in my case, what I did was export my google calendar while on the desktop, then logout of account "desktop", then login on the desktop to account "smartphone" and import the calendar into "smartphone"/google account, then logout. and go to the phone, the emails, I am getting while logged into desktop/google account 1, are the reminders being generated from the smartphone/google account 2,

I am checking my gmail on my desktop, and what I'm seeing are 'reminders' from the smartphone account 2 (I pop my account 2 mail into my desktop account 1). The funny thing is in the headers of the POP'd email, they are labeled as coming from account 1/desktop (?calendar).

I'll have to check the full headers, and see if there is anything I can deduce, and/or send some regular email to account 2/smartphone to see what happens......

lose you?

inbox788 wrote:Funny you should describe a gmail sharing problem. I don't know if what I experienced has anything to do with you, but I recently noticed a strange change of email addresses of a recipient email. I sent email to one email address in my contacts, and in the replies, it used a different email in my contacts. There is a lot of sharing going on with phone, mail apps, gmail app, gmail accounts, and such. Sometimes, you have to track down the specific item/level of the problem to narrow down the issue. Sometimes it's a bug, other times, it's working exactly as it's supposed to, and other times, it's doing something arbitrary or unexpected, but not necessarily wrong.
kwan2 wrote:has anyone else noticed, that if they set up 1 google account on their smartphone, and use a different one on their desktop/laptop, and use the desktop gmail account, to also pull-in/ POP the account using the smartphone, that the smartphone emails, are being sent to the desktop gmail account directly , NOT just showing up in the inbox, but apparently relabled to the account NOT on the smartphone? or is it somehow my imagination?

So, can you give some examples of what exactly is going where it shouldn't or not going where it should? This is what I interpret so far:

1) phone setup with smartphone@gmail.com
2) desktop setup with desktop@gmail.com
3) you log into desktop@gmail.com, settings, account and imports and setup POP3 to check smartphone@gmail.com. Looks like you're importing the smartphone@gmail.com email into the desktop@gmail.com account. Is that your intent?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en

4) When you log into smartphone@gmail account, do you see any emails you shouldn't see? Why do you think smartphone@gmail.com has any knowledge outside that account? Are you experiencing the problem in the phone or the browser or an app? And what account or accounts are they logged into? It's possible/likely you're logged into multiple accounts in multiple places.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

kwan2 wrote:so, in my case, what I did was export my google calendar while on the desktop, then logout of account "desktop", then login on the desktop to account "smartphone" and import the calendar into "smartphone"/google account, then logout. and go to the phone, the emails, I am getting while logged into desktop/google account 1, are the reminders being generated from the smartphone/google account 2,

I am checking my gmail on my desktop, and what I'm seeing are 'reminders' from the smartphone account 2 (I pop my account 2 mail into my desktop account 1). The funny thing is in the headers of the POP'd email, they are labeled as coming from account 1/desktop (?calendar).

I'll have to check the full headers, and see if there is anything I can deduce, and/or send some regular email to account 2/smartphone to see what happens......

lose you?
Yup. Very lost. But besides the 2 devices, 2 email accounts, 2 Google accounts, there are now 2 calendar accounts added to the mix. I assume a calendar reminder was initially activated on "desktop" calendar. I wonder if importing it to "smartphone" calendar retained the calendar reminder as well as the email to to use to send from and to. Or there may be another default email to send from and/or to. There's what you assume should happens. There's what I assume should happen. And there's what really happens at gmail today. Tomorrow, the programmers may decide to change how things work to better align with what someone else assumes. Deleting reminders may be another default option, but then having to recreate a ton of reminders may be troublesome to some. Complicated situation with multiple interpretations.

Another thought is that maybe account 1 (desktop) is simply getting reminders and you're using POP to retrieve those messages.
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

First of all, go through your account settings on Thunderbird and any other non-webmail clients you are running. If you are getting two of everything, it sounds like a protocol issue. Are you configured on only one method of account delivery? Are the accounts that you are receiving yours? Are you getting duplicate copies of everything, or just access to two account's worth of data?

Also, are you running an android OS or iOS? Have you checked the "Account" settings if it is on android to make sure you are only getting one set of data?