Best microwave to replace kitchen stove

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Best microwave to replace kitchen stove

Post by CountryBoy »

We are about to remodel our kitchen. That means we will try to live in our house and cook some of our meals on a microwave during the 3 wks. of remodeling.

Do people have experience with a microwave they consider totally reliable for this function.

Thanks.
bloom2708

Re: Best microwave to replace kitchen stove

Post by bloom2708 »

Most any microwave should do the trick these days.

One idea. The best $6 I have spent in the last few years is a "nearly new" Black N Decker Toaster Oven from the local thrift store.

We use it for many things. Heats up fast and is super versatile. A cheap microwave + a cheap toaster oven could be the perfect combination during your remodel.

:shock:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Microwaves are not range/oven replacements. While there are more or less powerful microwaves and more or less reliable microwaves ("reliable" in the sense that some last longer than others), no microwave is "better" than others when it comes to actually preparing food. They all cook food the same way. Consider using some combination of the following instead of or in addition to a microwave: gas or charcoal grill, toaster oven, crock pot, and propane camp stove.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

This seems to be one option:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-SN65 ... ewpoints=0

But with 144 single stars vs. 602 five stars we are a bit ambivalent...
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

During our kitchen remodel we just used an ancient microwave and a toaster oven in the basement next to the basin sink. The grill was also a big bonus. We would make pizzas on the grill as well as use a big cast iron pan to roast veggies and cook fish. I got pretty adept at regulating the temp in the grill with slight adjustments and limiting how much I opened the grill top.

In short, I think any microwave will do . If you already have a new microwave for the remodel picked out, just use that one.
mikeast

Post by mikeast »

Then I'd get a combo oven (microwave and convection in one). With the convection oven feature you can bake cookies, rolls, cook crispy stuff, pizza etc.
I've a had Sears counter top combo oven for 11 years now and it's indispensable.
Watty

Post by Watty »

A big problem with trying to cook anything significant while your kitchen is being remodeled is that cleaning up is a major pain without the kitchen sink or dishwasher.

Three weeks is only 21 days. There is no need for anything special since between a basic microwave, BBQ grill, and take out you can do just fine. You might even be able to have a couple od diners with a friend or relative at their house.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Three weeks is only 21 days.

Estimated times for remodeling are remarkably inaccurate. Hope for 21 days, plan for more. Don't expect to do more than stay minimally fed, and take advantage of local restaurants to the extent practical and economical.

(I've been through two kitchen renovations).
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Postby mikeast » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:08 pm
Then I'd get a combo oven (microwave and convection in one
Does a combo oven (microwave and convection vent into the room? I am having trouble visualizing its function.
Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S »

I have found that an electric kettle and toaster over were valuable additions to the microwave during kitchen renovations. With a toaster oven you can warm up pizza slices and sandwiches, bake a few cookies or potatos, and reheat leftovers without changing the texture of food. With a kettle you can make noodles/pasta, hot drinks, etc. A bbq, especially gas, and rice cooker allows for versitile cooking as well.

Cleanup was more of a challenge, either to clean dishes in the bathtub or a small bathroom sink. Although I rarely use paper plates/napkins in my routine life, they made life much more simple during the reno.

I've found that most any modern fullsize microwave heats food nicely. We planned on lots of takeout and budgeted it into renovation costs. Luckily we were without a sink for only 2 weeks and without a stove for only 1 week, though the renovation itself took much longer.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

adamthesmythe wrote:> Three weeks is only 21 days.

Estimated times for remodeling are remarkably inaccurate. Hope for 21 days, plan for more. Don't expect to do more than stay minimally fed, and take advantage of local restaurants to the extent practical and economical.

(I've been through two kitchen renovations).
Just went through a total kitchen makeover this spring and yeah, it will almost certainly cost more and take longer than you expect.

Not having a sink and dishwasher was very inconvenient as was having the entire kitchen in boxes out in the sunroom. We have a double oven built into brick that wasn't part of the remodel and between that, the George Foreman grill, and the microwave somehow we stayed fed. Lots of cereal, sandwiches, and pizza.

If you haven't tried a GF grill check on out. They're very handy.
canderson

Post by canderson »

I HIGHLY recommend the Breville Smart Oven for this. It can bake anything, reheat food, ex. We barely use our oven now honestly because of the appliance.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Breville Smart Oven sounds good but how do you feel about these comments........

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL ... ewpoints=0
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

We lived 3 years with two young children back in the 80s in a house without a range. We had a one burner hotplate and a combination microwave/convection counter unit. I don't know if they still make such units, but it did it all from cakes to vegetables to medium size turkeys. It was made by Sharp and lasted about 15 years.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I can recommend the Sanyo brand microwave. We've had one (a small one) for seven years now and use it a LOT. I like the simplicity of its controls. It's even easy to set the time as the instructions are right there behind the door.

But perhaps I am behind the times. Why can't these things get the time from the NIST radio station WWVB like my inexpensive indoor/outdoor thermometer and weather station does? Many household appliances with clocks are expensive enough that this could probably be a cost effective addition. The Sanyo probably cost two or three times as much as my $35 weather station.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

I too enjoy a countertop combination microwave / convection oven. It microwaves, bakes, roasts and broils. It can combine functions micro/convection or broil/convection for faster cook times with quality outcomes. It makes a perfect roast chicken (and small turkeys) and bakes lovely bread. As a foodie and a cook, I use it every day and rarely use my oven. I can't imagine a kitchen without one. Mine is Sharp Carousel (my second; first one lasted @20 years). Pricey and large and perhaps more appliance than OP wants for a brief interlude.
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

Two things you should consider are space cost and family size. I prefer countertop microwaves for two reasons, first is that they are very easy to replace, and secondly I can get something that can warm up large dishes. The main downside to countertop options is that they cost space, and depending on who the family cook is, that may or may not be acceptable.

Family size is also an issue. I live in an area with people who don't find it uncommon to have > 5 children (where I grew up, more than 3 was very uncommon), and that represents quite a few logistical challenges if you are trying to shoo all the kids out the door at the same time. Similarly, if you host a lot of casual get-togethers you may have people that want to go warm up slices of pizza or something. Some people even get multiple microwaves or multiple ovens depending on their needs.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Sharp Carousel microwave...

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-R-331ZS-100 ... ewpoints=0

Am not sure what product to buy.
claudia

Post by claudia »

full-time working mom here.....yes....you will survive with just a microwave. I use my microwave more than my stove.
C
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Can I bake bread in it? I don't have a convection oven but maybe with a microwave with convection I was curious if I could bake bread...normally about 350 degrees for 45 mins.
mikeast

Post by mikeast »

CountryBoy wrote:
Postby mikeast » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:08 pm
Then I'd get a combo oven (microwave and convection in one
Does a combo oven (microwave and convection vent into the room? I am having trouble visualizing its function.
Yes, they have vent fins on the top and sides with an internal cooling fan that kicks on automatically when needed. The extra heat is no big deal really,
but they must be clear of obstruction for a few inches on the sides and top. They are great for baking !
canderson

Post by canderson »

CountryBoy wrote:Breville Smart Oven sounds good but how do you feel about these comments........

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL ... ewpoints=0
I'll always take 1,900+ 5 star comments over 120 or so 1 star ones, especially on an Internet site where people are usually more inclined to complain than praise. ;)
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

CountryBoy wrote:Can I bake bread in it? I don't have a convection oven but maybe with a microwave with convection I was curious if I could bake bread...normally about 350 degrees for 45 mins.
We made cakes. Do not recall baking bread. BTW, bake times were reduced since the microwave also operated at a less than full power in combination with the convection if desired.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Our Panasonic from Costco has held up very well.

Also, you might take a look at one of those portable Induction cook tops. The higher power ones seem like they would work well, especially if you already have cookware that might work with induction.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

So in my planned remodel of a kitchen we were designing the microwave to be set in a cabinet. With the venting and all of the microwave with convection that would be incorrect since it needs venting. Right?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have separate microwave and oven in a cabinet. They vent forward anyways and do not need additional venting. Stoves are not ovens.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Now all I need is a reliable one...........