Oil change costs--dealer vs other

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dodecahedron

Oil change costs--dealer vs other

Post by dodecahedron »

In a recent thread, a number of posters made me wonder whether I was paying too much for oil changes (which I get done twice a year on my Honda Accord at the dealer, just because that's what my late husband always did.) Even though I don't drive all that much (about 6,000 miles per year), I know that the driving I do is relatively hard (urban, lots of stop and go, many short trips.) Interestingly, the "oil life 15%" light went on in my car just before I was planning to bring the car in for its twice annual oil change. (I don't think that's ever happened before.)

Anyway, I went to my dealer's website and there seem to be standing coupons for an oil change for $20 (plus they will even match competitor coupons.) http://www.keelerhonda.com/specials/service.htm

It hardly seems worth shopping around--my dealer has always been great. It's convenient, nice waiting area (with excellent space for working plus free coffee.)

Just curious though--how much would it cost if I decided to do it myself?
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasc15

Re: Oil change costs--dealer vs other

Post by jasc15 »

You can't really beat $20 with a DIY oil change. A filter is about $6-$7 and 5 quarts of oil can cost near $20 itself.
crake

Post by crake »

I'm not sure the exact model of your accord but it probably takes about 4 quarts of oil. Decent oil will cost about 5 dollars a quart and a filter is about 10 dollars so to diy would cost about 30 dollars. You also will need an oil filter wrench(10 dollars), and an oil pan (5 dollars). I'm assuming you already own a socket wrench. The 20 dollar coupon is a great deal.

I personally change my own oil because the closest dealer is about a half hour drive away and charges 35 dollars for a change. I don't trust the quick lube places to use quality oil or filters so I don't go to them.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

$31.98 at the dealer this morning.... Free coffee and donuts....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Conventional (non-synthetic) oil is selling for a minimum of $3.00 a qt. these days. You can maybe get the cheap stuff for less and the name brand for more. I'm not sure how much your Accord uses, but figure about 5 quarts. Then add in the cost of a filter and you are probably over $20. That, in addition to the free coffee makes your dealer's cost pretty attractive.

Note that one reason they have cheap oil changes at these places is to get your car up on a lift to look around. They spot things that might need fixing and make their profits there. I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but I've always felt that having a competent mechanic with a profit motive looking under my hood was a good thing. I want my cars to be in top shape -- for reliability and safety.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

That $20 oil change is what they use to get you in there. Then I guarantee the real sales tactics begin: "when was the last time you had xyz changed, or you really could use new wiper blades, or it's time for the X,000 mile service."

I happily pay my local shop $40 where the coffee is horrible but they don't try selling me things I don't need. :beer
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

When I was younger I did it myself. Any competent dealer or repair shop should be able to do it if I can. So now I look for the best coupons, and when I find one I save it until needed unless it expires first. I've always been able to come up with coupons ranging anywhere from $19.95 (muffler dealer or repair shop) to $29.95 (dealer) that include oil change plus tire rotation.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Stonebr wrote:Conventional (non-synthetic) oil is selling for a minimum of $3.00 a qt. these days. You can maybe get the cheap stuff for less and the name brand for more. I'm not sure how much your Accord uses, but figure about 5 quarts. Then add in the cost of a filter and you are probably over $20. That, in addition to the free coffee makes your dealer's cost pretty attractive.

Note that one reason they have cheap oil changes at these places is to get your car up on a lift to look around. They spot things that might need fixing and make their profits there. I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but I've always felt that having a competent mechanic with a profit motive looking under my hood was a good thing. I want my cars to be in top shape -- for reliability and safety.
Totally agree with you--I do want my cars to be in top shape for reliability and safety. And my husband and I have been taking our Honda Accords there since we bought our first one in 2002 and our second one in 2006. (Both of them are still in awesome shape.]
Postmon wrote:That $20 oil change is what they use to get you in there. Then I guarantee the real sales tactics begin: "when was the last time you had xyz changed, or you really could use new wiper blades, or it's time for the X,000 mile service."

I happily pay my local shop $40 where the coffee is horrible but they don't try selling me things I don't need. :beer
And I totally trust my dealer's service department not to recommend stuff we don't need. The only service we've ever had done to either of our Accords in twelve years of taking our cars in twice a year (for oil changes and snow tire mounting/demounting) was routine maintenance at manufacturer recommended mileage intervals plus occasional tire replacements (due to terrible potholes around here!)

My strong sense is that another reason my dealer gives cheap oil changes is because it builds loyalty and makes it more likely I will buy my next car from this dealer (and recommend it to my friends.) It is worth noting that the extremely comfortable and spacious waiting area is adjacent to the showroom. In fact, the path from dropping off our cars in the service area to the waiting room goes directly through the showroom.
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

I wish I could find a trust worthy dealer but have never been able to. I used to shop for price using the quick oil change places, dealers, chains, etc. but no more. In addition to the up selling, I've had too many problems:

* At one of the quick change places they were having trouble getting to the filter and one of the guys said just leave it, he'll never know. He didn't know I was standing behind him.

* I had a dealer forget to put the oil cap back on. Didn't find out until the next oil change when they asked me where my cap was.

* Another place once stripped the bolt on the oil pan.

Remember, at most of these discount places you may not be getting the most competent person to do the work. Not worth the risk to me.
dodecahedron wrote: The only service we've ever had done to either of our Accords in twelve years of taking our cars in twice a year (for oil changes and snow tire mounting/demounting) was routine maintenance at manufacturer recommended mileage intervals
Routine maintenance is where some of them get you. Compare exactly what the manufacturer recommends and how often (in owner's manual) to what the dealer recommends. They dealers often add lots of things you don't need and at more frequent intervals all under the guise of routine maintenance schedules.

A few years ago I called the dealer for a 60K miles service. It would have been close to $1,000. I brought it to my local shop and the bill was $40. When I asked what about all the other things, he double checked the manufacturer's schedule and said I only needed an oil change.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Where I live, many dealers offer a $19.95 oil change as a loss leader to get you in for more work, either as an advertised special or with an online coupon. You can always refuse the extra work unless it is truly necessary and priced fairly. Most of the independent shops and the oil change chains charge $40-$50 for an oil change.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

Cherokee8215 wrote:Where I live, many dealers offer a $19.95 oil change as a loss leader to get you in for more work, either as an advertised special or with an online coupon. You can always refuse the extra work unless it is truly necessary and priced fairly. Most of the independent shops and the oil change chains charge $40-$50 for an oil change.
Same here - I have pretty much used the dealer exclusively for my 2002 Envoy for the past six years. They even have a "quick lube" lane that I have been able to just get the oil change without much hassle for anything else. Used to go to discount stores and had it done while I shopped - but the price for them is about $10 higher than the dealer...
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

If there is an issue I expect to have it resolved easier with the dealer than with an independent shop customer service wise. This is my opinion, therefore I will pay a premium to have my vehicle serviced at the dealer. For example, I will pay $30 to the dealer for an oil change versus $20 at a shop. It's the same work in my opinion but I am willing to pay $10 for customer service. If it were more expensive, I would definitely go to the shop for a $600 repair, rather than $900 at the dealer.

As an advice, your Honda has a maintenance minder system that estimates oil life. I suggest you follow it and only do the oil change when the orange wrench symbol appears. At least for Honda, there's no need to keep track. To go more often before the light comes on is a waste of money.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

It costs me around $65 to DIY it, but I have a feeling we have very different cars. I think you'd have a tough time DIY'ing any car for less than $20 nowadays. I'd stick with what you're doing and go have fun doing something else.

Some shops will lie and say they changed it without doing anything, so just make sure they do what they say they're doing.
campos202

Post by campos202 »

For my 2004 Corolla I pay about $3 for the filter (I buy several when they go on sale) and about $12 for the oil (4 quarts) so about $15 a change.

Our 2011 Sienna requires 6.5 quarts of synthetic which runs about $29 plus $4 for the filter (OEM bought in bulk from eBay) so $33. The dealer occasionally offers me a $20 oil change on the Sienna to try to get me in to look at a new car so I take them up on it when it is offered.
Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

mmmodem wrote:If there is an issue I expect to have it resolved easier with the dealer than with an independent shop customer service wise. This is my opinion, therefore I will pay a premium to have my vehicle serviced at the dealer. For example, I will pay $30 to the dealer for an oil change versus $20 at a shop. It's the same work in my opinion but I am willing to pay $10 for customer service. If it were more expensive, I would definitely go to the shop for a $600 repair, rather than $900 at the dealer.

As an advice, your Honda has a maintenance minder system that estimates oil life. I suggest you follow it and only do the oil change when the orange wrench symbol appears. At least for Honda, there's no need to keep track. To go more often before the light comes on is a waste of money.
Well, it may be a bit overly conservative but I need to take the car in twice a year anyway to get the snowtires put on and taken off, plus they do stuff like check and refill other fluids as necessary for free as part of the oil change. (I use quite a bit of that windshield wiper squirting fluid during our slushy winters and I like the comfort of knowing that is always topped off before snow season), plus I need to have my car inspected every November anyway. Snowtires are studded and need to come off no later than April, by state law, but given the likelihood of significant snow in late March, I wouldn't want to do it much earlier.

This year is the first time I have ever seen the wrench light coming on, so I guess maybe the twice a year schedule in the past was overly conservative, but it is convenient just to get everything done in one visit.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

If you have all your work done at the dealer, including scheduled services, ask for a 10% "loyalty" discount. I've done this at the last 2 dealerships I've purchased cars from and they've both agreed on the spot (Johnson City Honda, Wilmington Honda).
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

After Jiffy Lube stripped my drain plug and Midas screwed up my brakes, I got all of my car repairs at the dealer. At least I can hold them accountable. If they screw up and don't make me happy, I will buy another brand of car and they will never see me again. My Hyundai dealer sends me coupons all the time at prices I consider reasonable. I have two sets of coupons, both still valid, on the desk in front of me as I write this. Oil is cheap, I think they make most of their profit on $39 cabin filter replacements.
Last edited by DonCamillo on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I change my own oil, not to save money (you don't), but for convenience. It is just such a hassle to schedule the appointment, and then travel to the shop and hang around while they do a job I can do myself in a few minutes.

Hondas also call for regular changing of transmission fluid (for both automatic & manual) and rear differential fluid. They are just as easy to change as engine oil, but you do have to have the correct fluids. I buy them online to avoid a trip to the dealer (parts counter guys always seem so slow). Again, not to save money, but to save time.

I also change my own engine air filters, cabin air filters, wiper blades, batteries and headlamp bulbs. Those are so easy, it is just not worth paying someone to do it. A lot of places will install this kind of stuff for free, but again, it is a matter of convenience for me.
WHL

Post by WHL »

munemaker wrote:I change my own oil, not to save money (you don't), but for convenience. It is just such a hassle to schedule the appointment, and then travel to the shop and hang around while they do a job I can do myself in a few minutes.

Hondas also call for regular changing of transmission fluid (for both automatic & manual) and rear differential fluid. They are just as easy to change as engine oil, but you do have to have the correct fluids. I buy them online to avoid a trip to the dealer (parts counter guys always seem so slow). Again, not to save money, but to save time.

I also change my own engine air filters, cabin air filters, wiper blades, batteries and headlamp bulbs. Those are so easy, it is just not worth paying someone to do it. A lot of places will install this kind of stuff for free, but again, it is a matter of convenience for me.
Getting it out of the way, I do all of my own maintenance - everything.

I definitely do it myself to save money, but that isn't the most important reason. I do my own work because I want to know it's done properly. I'm not going to cut corners or use garbage branded supplies. I'm going to take the extra 5 minutes to clean every spec out of my transmission oil pan before I reinstall it. Will a dealer? I don't know, because I'm not allowed to watch them work.

RE: saving money, changing my own oil certainly saves me money. I pay around $30 for a 5 quart pail of Mobil 1 full synthetic, $7 for a Wix or Napa Gold filter, and $20 for oil sample analysis. The GM website lists a "synthetic blend" oil change for $39.95 + tax. The closest GM dealer is 19.6 miles from my house, so let's add another $6 for ~2 gallons of gas...plus, my time has to be worth something, right?
rec7

Post by rec7 »

A local shop does it for $20-$22 The last time I bought the filter and they did it for $18
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Postmon wrote:That $20 oil change is what they use to get you in there. Then I guarantee the real sales tactics begin: "when was the last time you had xyz changed, or you really could use new wiper blades, or it's time for the X,000 mile service."

I actually use my oil changed to help evaluate the shops for trustworthiness. I know how to change my own and can do many stuff myself (oil changes, filter changes, stereo swapout, heated seats install, upgraded lights). But there are things I wouldn't touch. The oil changes give me an opportunity to tell whether the shop is being honest. For instance, I was on my original brakes after 6 years and could feel the the degradation of stopping power (but no squeal yet). The regular shop let me know it was time for a brake job. I asked about the details and cost and it was only $100 for machining the rotors and replacing the pads. At that time, I knew my tire tread was going and the shop told me it can wait till the next oil change (5k miles on my 4Runner).

Next oil change I tried a new place (got to always stay atop of where I can go). That shop chanes my oil, and said my timing belt is showing signs of fraying and my water pump is leaking (never mind I haven't had to top off any fluids). Knowing my truck uses a timing chain, I asked him to be sure. He said he looked at it himself and could see the early signs. Boy was he surprised when I said, "No worries. Here is the $21.95 for the oil change. I'd like my keys please." He processed me and asked when I can come back for the timing belt and fuel pump ($460 btw). I told him not to schedule it as my truck using a timing chain and would need to have a timing belt put in. He was just looked at me with his jaw dropped. Went to my usual place, bought four tires and asked about my water pump, they said it was fine. I have yet to top off those fluids either.

Oil change after that I decided to give the previous place another try. Maybe he got the tickets and customers mixed up (a Silver 4Runner isn't exactly rare). Different service advisor told me all four tires need to be replaced imagine his surprise when I told him I just had all four replaced 5k miles ago and took a penny to the wheel once the had pulled it around. Needless to say, I'm never going back there. This was a Toyota Dealer.

Another one of the dealers has been good so far and not added stuff. They mentioned my rear brake this time (only had the fronts done before), so that is reasonable. When my 4WD wouldn't engage, I knew I could trust their diagnosis and only $160 later, I have 4WD again.

So for me, the oil change is the "loss leader" that I use to evaluate them. :)
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Dodecahedron, you're doing fine if you have a trustworthy dealer do your oil a couple time a year and check things over for a reasonable price. I would add that just because a dealer has been trustworthy in the past, doesn't mean they will always be trustworthy--so it does pay to be cognizant of the real service schedule required (both the official and unofficial schedule). For the most part manufacturers get it right, but occasionally (as noted by a couple posters above) maintenance schedules get shortened up to improve service life issues that may arise in real world conditions subsequent to the publication of the owner's manual.

I'm actually encouraged that your MaintenanceMinder has indicated 15% oil life given that you apparently drive only a few thousand miles between changes, twice per year. That means you do indeed drive in severe conditions(short trips, cold weather, etc.), and the system is indicating as it should.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I use the dealer for oil changes even though it costs $7 more than the local quick lube.

1) I could change my own oil, but I am not good at that stuff. Also, using the dealer allows a trained Toyota technician to look at all the fluids and to identify any problems that may have arisen in the past 5k miles.

2) The oil change includes a free tire rotation, car wash, and all the Starbucks coffee I can drink.

3) in general, the dealership takes 30-40 minutes to complete the service. While this is going on, I am in an easy chair in one of the six waiting rooms, working on my tablet.

Well worth the extra $7.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

dodecahedron wrote: It hardly seems worth shopping around--my dealer has always been great. It's convenient, nice waiting area (with excellent space for working plus free coffee.)

They are taking care of you and you are happy with the service, sounds like a win/win, @ $40/year plus some free coffee just enjoy the service.

I do some of each, if I'm lazy I may bring it in.

I do change if often myself but its not cheaper by any means, I change it myself for four reason.

1) I have a nice shop and I enjoy that type of thing.
2) It gives me the chance to give everything a good once over.
3) It cost me much less in time to do it myself.
4) Nothing bugs me more when I bring it for an oil change and they want to upsell me on a pile of other work that I don't need done. In all fairness I think for a lot of these people, oil changes are a loss leader so they need to make it up someplace else, but I don't want to hear about it, just change my oil.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

For newer Hondas, I found the price at the dealer to be close to independent shops, but they charge around $50, since at least my CRV calls for 0W-20 oil, which is a full synthetic.
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

BrandonBogle wrote: Oil change after that I decided to give the previous place another try. Maybe he got the tickets and customers mixed up (a Silver 4Runner isn't exactly rare). Different service advisor told me all four tires need to be replaced imagine his surprise when I told him I just had all four replaced 5k miles ago and took a penny to the wheel once the had pulled it around. Needless to say, I'm never going back there. This was a Toyota Dealer.

Another one of the dealers has been good so far and not added stuff. They mentioned my rear brake this time (only had the fronts done before), so that is reasonable. When my 4WD wouldn't engage, I knew I could trust their diagnosis and only $160 later, I have 4WD again.

So for me, the oil change is the "loss leader" that I use to evaluate them. :)
My last two cars I bought the longest extended warranty I could get, 7 years/75,000 miles on a Saturn, 10/100,000 miles years on my current Hyundai. I keep my cars until the warranty expires. I always felt like a sucker paying the extra money. But both cars had problems that exceeded the warranty cost, and it is comforting to call the 800 number on the contract in the dash compartment when something goes wrong and you need a tow truck. Even nicer to know that you are not paying anything. (I did pay about $20 more than the rental allowance when the Saturn was in the shop for a few days.)

But it now appears that another advantage of an extended warranty is that anyone trying to sell me a service covered by the warranty is going to have to deal with the manufacturer for reimbursement. I do get annoyed with the overpriced cabin filters, but not enough to remove it and vacuum it myself. I'll pay the extra $40 a year. I once bought 3rd party wiper blades thinking to save money, only to learn that my Hyundai dealer just replaces the inserts for half the cost.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Frugal Al wrote:Dodecahedron, you're doing fine if you have a trustworthy dealer do your oil a couple time a year and check things over for a reasonable price. I would add that just because a dealer has been trustworthy in the past, doesn't mean they will always be trustworthy--so it does pay to be cognizant of the real service schedule required (both the official and unofficial schedule). For the most part manufacturers get it right, but occasionally (as noted by a couple posters above) maintenance schedules get shortened up to improve service life issues that may arise in real world conditions subsequent to the publication of the owner's manual.

I'm actually encouraged that your MaintenanceMinder has indicated 15% oil life given that you apparently drive only a few thousand miles between changes, twice per year. That means you do indeed drive in severe conditions(short trips, cold weather, etc.), and the system is indicating as it should.
I just got home from the dealer and the whole experience was better and even cheaper than I could have expected. I paid $19.91 including tax and for that total, I got my oil and filter changed, all fluids checked and refilled as necessary, the free multipoint inspection they include free with every service, AND my annual NYS inspection sticker (for the required safety and emissions checkup). (The average cost of a NYS inspection sticker alone is $21.) They didn't find anything that needed fixing, and my time in their comfortable waiting room was pleasant and productive because I had a spacious table to work at and free Keurig coffee to drink.

However, I will need to go back later this month to have them put on my snow tires. I wasn't quite ready to start driving around on those noisy studded snowtires yet. But it's conveniently close and a nice place to get work done, so no problems. I love my dealership.
Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Lynette wrote:Its not the money that is the deciding issue for me. If I take it to the dealer, I have to wait - and maybe leave it overnight - hire a rental? If I take it to my quick oil change place - 10 minutes in and out. Actually I haven't checked with the dealer lately, they may have a quicker process but the quick oil change place is less than half a mile from me. Its not worth taking the time to save a few dollars when I'm still working.
I do have to wait at my dealer, but as noted above it is a pleasant place to get work done while I wait. (Free wifi as well as free coffee, really nice tables and chairs.) It is also walking distance from my home, and they have a free shuttle service that would drive me anywhere I wanted to go if I didn't want to wait, plus there is a public transit line that stops nearby.

However, before we started buying cars from this Honda dealer, we had some pretty unpleasant service experiences at the dealers for our previous cars (which were a Toyota Camry and a Ford Taurus), so I think we just really lucked out with our current dealer. My mom has a Toyota Prius and she loves her dealer, who is conveniently located just a block from her home. I guess there is a wide range of possible outcomes with dealer service departments.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I change my own oil usually, but as I get older I've gone to the dealers a couple of times. I like knowing exactly what went into the car, and knowing that the filter got changed (which is a pain in the tail, often). I don't like taking the used oil to the recycling place, and I don't like having to get under the car and drop the skid plate to change the filter on some of the vehicles.

I think it would be worth $50+ over and above my own out-of-pocket costs to have a reliable place to change the oil But I don't know if the places can earn a living at that level.

My son had his land cruiser fail inspection because of some fluid on the steering rack, and had no choice but to replace it, which he did at the dealer for about $ 900 or so. After which the oil lamp came on. We took a look and realized that the dealer had failed to reconnect the oil sensor and it dangled its way into the alternator belt and got amputated. Its the sort of stuff that you don't expect to have happen when working with the dealer, but all too often seems to.

In any case, to make this actionable, more information is always useful, and you can google your vehicle and add "brakes" or Brake problem or oil change question, and you'll end up at some enthusiast message board which will help your understanding of your car mightily.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Oil/filter change, fluid check and top off, wifi, and free coffee or cappuccino $14.95. No appointment necessary.
I like my dealer.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
windaar

Post by windaar »

how much would it cost if I decided to do it myself?
For about 3 years I decided to "save money" by changing oil myself. Had to buy ramps. Had to go to the store for oil. Hurt/burned myself every time. Getting to/changing oil filter = PITA. Always got oil all over myself, and was crawling under a car. Always ruined a shirt. Then had to dispose of oil. And clean everything up. Older and wiser, I happily have my dealer do it now, with the coupons they send me.
Nobody knows nothing.
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Lynette wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:I do have to wait at my dealer, but as noted above it is a pleasant place to get work done while I wait. (Free wifi as well as free coffee, really nice tables and chairs.) It is also walking distance from my home, and they have a free shuttle service that would drive me anywhere I wanted to go if I didn't want to wait, plus there is a public transit line that stops nearby.
Your dealer sounds as if it is really pleasant environment. I assume that you are retired. The dealer would likely drive me home (about 2 miles) but definitely not to work - about 20 miles - 2 hours if it is snowing. There is no public transportation in this area. So, maybe when I retire .....
It is indeed a very pleasant environment. When my late husband was still alive, we actually considered going there to bring our two cars in for service a twice yearly "date." In those days, their coffee machine was not a Keurig and somewhat trickier to operate, and he loved making it for me.

No, I am not (entirely) retired, but I do work part-time at a couple of institutions of higher education plus I am studying for a graduate degree in a different subject from my original PhD at a third institution, and much of my work at all three places can be done *wherever*, so I have a lot of flexibility. My late husband was also an academic and we ran a consulting firm together, so we had a lot of flexibility about where to get our work done. I have fond memories of our "dates" getting our cars serviced at our car dealer's service shop. We'd often go for a walk together while our cars were getting serviced. Fond memories, fun times=priceless. I still remember how happy it made him to make me free coffee at the dealer's fancy's coffee machine before we went out on our walks. (Yes, I guess I was a "cheap date." What can I say?)
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

dodecahedron wrote:In a recent thread, a number of posters made me wonder whether I was paying too much for oil changes (which I get done twice a year on my Honda Accord at the dealer, just because that's what my late husband always did.) Even though I don't drive all that much (about 6,000 miles per year), I know that the driving I do is relatively hard (urban, lots of stop and go, many short trips.) Interestingly, the "oil life 15%" light went on in my car just before I was planning to bring the car in for its twice annual oil change. (I don't think that's ever happened before.)

Anyway, I went to my dealer's website and there seem to be standing coupons for an oil change for $20 (plus they will even match competitor coupons.) http://www.keelerhonda.com/specials/service.htm

It hardly seems worth shopping around--my dealer has always been great. It's convenient, nice waiting area (with excellent space for working plus free coffee.)

There are dealers ... and there are dealers. Unfortunately, I don't have the car skills to differentiate between an honest dude and a slick salesman. Therefore, I have lately not taken the $9.99 (or so) oil change bait that they have dangled in front of me. I pay $35 per oil change to my trusted mechanic and visit him every 3,000 to 3,500 miles regardless of what the car manual tells me.

The last time I went to the dealer with my car was for a $19.99 (or some such) oil change about four-five years ago. As a result of their X-point inspection, it was revealed to me that the car needed $2,000 worth of work, out of which $750 was kind of urgent. I took that laundry list with me to my mechanic (it was my first visit there), and he said that only two line items were required, and those cost less than $200. Since that time, adding up the $35 oil changes and the other maintenance work done on the car - including a timing belt - I doubt very much if I have exceed $2,000 (or exceeded it by much).

- Porcupine