Making kefir at home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Making kefir at home

Post by VictoriaF »

I recently started buying a lot of kefir and so I am thinking of trying to make it myself. Does anybody have experience with this? Do you buy kefir starter cultures? Are there any drawbacks in using kefir purchased in a store to cultivate a new batch?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jane1

Re: Making kefir at home

Post by jane1 »

Don't know if Kefir cultures are similar but we make Yogurt at home regularly and the starter live culture from store bought yogurt works.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I believe with kefir it is called grains, as in kefir grains. They are different than yogurt starter.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

Do it! I made kefir for several months last year and it was delicious. And cheap.

You won't be able to make kefir from the kefir you by at the store. This is because kefir is made using "grains" that look like small cauliflowers. When I make kefir at least, I strain out the grains to use for another batch. I assume commercial outfits do the same thing.

So how do you get kefir grains? One option is to order dehydrated grains online. That's what I did. My grains never grew very much and my kefir tended to be a bit "yeasty". Basically, I'm not sure that the little guys were the same after being rehydrated. A better option, if you can swing it, is to find someone with an active kefir culture who is willing to give you some.

One thing to keep in mind is that a kefir culture is like a pet. Once you have it, you have to keep feeding it. My culture bit the dust after a long vacation. I'm hoping to start again soon.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

Used brand named Kevir as a starter. Not quite the same but close enough.
Made my own water bath incubator by using a non-digital, old style, slow cooker and add a light dimmer in front of slow cooker plug.
Loved it but wifey didn't like me using 2% milk and preserves (home made)'.and I couldn't regulate my electrolytes as well - bad leg craps. :(