Electronic lock experiences

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Electronic lock experiences

Post by TheOscarGuy »

I am considering the following lock for our home:

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE595VCAM ... ronic+lock

Or something similar. We sometimes share the keys with vendors (painters, carpenter, plumber, cleaning crew). We would rather have a lock that can be shared for a day, and then change it so the "key" no longer works. Essentially something with keypad. Its also nice to not have to carry the key.

What have been your experiences?
Battery life I know is bad -- but have you had more serious issues (getting locked out!!).
Toons

Re: Electronic lock experiences

Post by Toons »

TheOscarGuy wrote:I am considering the following lock for our home:

Or something similar. We sometimes share the keys with vendors (painters, carpenter, plumber, cleaning crew). We would rather have a lock that can be shared for a day, and then change it so the "key" no longer works. Essentially something with keypad. Its also nice to not have to carry the key.
Battery life I know is bad -- but have you had more serious issues (getting locked out!!).

+5 Looks perfect to me.It is the identical one I used for quite a few years when I lived in a neighborhood where I locked my doors. :happy .It gave me no trouble.I do recall having to change the batterie(s)once or twice.A little more difficult than changing a flashlight battery though.Satin Nickel is a nice color.
Never recall getting locked out.And I had a backup plan if I did .I would open the garage door and go in the back door. :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Yes, we have been locked out. We went on an extended vacation & the battery died.

For the most part we like the day to day function. Changing the "combo" is a little bit of a hassle, only because it takes time. Also, on our Schlag lock there is a trick to using the hard metal key that you can use to override the battery. Best to check with a lock smith as it is too hard to explain.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I've had one for a few months - works great. Batteries failing are the possible downside but it's supposed to beep when they get low. Having one on the back door too would be an excellent backup.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

I have that exact lock. It works well for me.
Pale Blue Dot
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

TheOscarGuy wrote:I am considering the following lock for our home:

If you have an attached garage consider a keypad garage door opener. We use one for vendor access and keyless entry. These are quite a bit cheaper, easier to install and perhaps less visually intrusive. Batteries last for years. The only problem was years ago when a subcontractor couldn't figure out the entry instructions. Keyless entry is now common enough that this is no longer a problem.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I would buy one that works with Apple's homekit so it would work with my iPhone. Most of them can use a physical key in case of battery failure or whatever but there is no need to carry a key with you. Just hide one in a non-conspicuous location, which would be very easy where I live.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We have several of these on vacation rentals, "the exact same but different" - meaning ours also has a deadbolt component.

GREAT DEVICES!

They have worked without failure (AMAZING!) for about 7 years now.
This is in an area with heavy snow and very cold temps in the winter, and it can get close to 100 degrees in the summer, and dusty on occasion.

Because there is more than one door per property, we don't worry as much about "what if it fails or battery dies unexpectedly", as it's unlikely the other door would be similarly affected at the very same time.

We keep several "extra" codes loaded, in case a plumber needs to get in on short notice, etc.

IF we were doing it again, we'd get the type where the codes could be set over the internet AND those also log each code's entry/exit, which would be great to know.
As it is, we have local management who manually delete code after renter leaves, and enter a few new codes every now and then.

But we didn't have internet at first, and it's too expensive to purchase new keylock units now.

We also use them for inside storage, and obviously don't use the code the renters are given.

Deleting a single code isn't a big deal. The trick is to keep several extras loaded, and do that as a bunch every now and then after you've deleted several codes individually, once they are used for a one-time purpose. Or if one changes plumbers or housekeepers, or whatever.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
thomase

Post by thomase »

I have a different model Schlage BE365 V CAM 505 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt that is on the original 9v battery. I must have installed it 5-6 years ago so the battery life is great, it gets used several times a day. Mine is different in that the lock does not electrically retract the dead bolt, it just energizes a mechanism such that you can rotate the knob which retracts the dead bolt. Unless you enter the right code, the knob just free wheels. This is probably why the battery life is great. Back then, from reading electronic lock reviews, the ones that electrically retracted the dead bolt were rated as less reliable which is why I chose the model above.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

thomase wrote:I have a different model Schlage BE365 V CAM 505 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt that is on the original 9v battery. I must have installed it 5-6 years ago so the battery life is great, it gets used several times a day. Mine is different in that the lock does not electrically retract the dead bolt, it just energizes a mechanism such that you can rotate the knob which retracts the dead bolt. Unless you enter the right code, the knob just free wheels. This is probably why the battery life is great. Back then, from reading electronic lock reviews, the ones that electrically retracted the dead bolt were rated as less reliable which is why I chose the model above.
This is what we have.

There is a second 'step', which is to turn the deadbolt (open or closed) after entering proper code.

Yes, battery life is extraordinary.

The other type, I think, have only the one step.
I thought they didn't use deadbolts, just regular locking latch (??). Apparently not so!

RM
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

This is the lock I'll be getting soon:
http://recode.net/2014/10/14/review-a-h ... so-simple/
douginct

Post by douginct »

boroc7 wrote:This is the lock I'll be getting soon:
If I get an electronic lock, that (August) is the one I'd be getting. Simple, and allows you to keep your existing lock and key.
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

I have several of the exact lock as well as the dead bolt version. It keeps the kids from locking me out and allows them access to the house without having to carry a key. The battery life is pretty good. We get at least 6 months out of a 9V battery in the heavily used doors, and well over a year in the others. It is very easy to use and we like them very much, though they are pricey as far as locks go.

Getting locked out is not an issue for the one you show because you still have a key. You can get the lock re-keyed just like any other if you want to keep all your locks on the same key.

The "dumb" version (without wi-fi connectivity) will accept multiple codes, but the code is always "on" until you deactivate it. They have a pricier "smart" lock that has wi-fi and you can control from your computer. With this technology you can give access to certain codes for limited time periods (i.e. house keeper only has access during the time she is supposed to be there). I do not have experience with this particular model and perhaps it is the one with the poor battery life.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

Nice boroc7. Thanks for sharing. that's a really cool lock. I think I'll be looking into this one. Then I can just use my phone for both my car & home & not have to carry a key anymore ! =)
boroc7 wrote:This is the lock I'll be getting soon:
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

I have that one and the deadbolt kind. We bought it for a detached garage and liked it so much we bought it for our front door. The batteries only need changing every few years and it gives you many uses notice the battery is dying by I forget either a funny beep or different light color. There is a back up key that could be hidden in the yard in case of true battery failure. And it still works to unlock from the inside if the battery dies. I recommend this brand highly since we have had great luck with it and keyless locks are so convenient. And yes you can change codes and add temporary or multiple codes.
lafder
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Lafder wrote:I have that one and the deadbolt kind. We bought it for a detached garage and liked it so much we bought it for our front door. The batteries only need changing every few years and it gives you many uses notice the battery is dying by I forget either a funny beep or different light color. There is a back up key that could be hidden in the yard in case of true battery failure. And it still works to unlock from the inside if the battery dies. I recommend this brand highly since we have had great luck with it and keyless locks are so convenient. And yes you can change codes and add temporary or multiple codes.
lafder
If there are two doors, then "if" there were to be a true failure (battery or otherwise), at least the other door would be functional, in addition to having a key to use "just in case".
We've found the batteries last several years, even with extreme weather/temperature conditions.

The only "downside" to the deadbolt version, which is really great, is that it is just a bit too easy for someone unfamiliar with it to "enter the code" and then walk away, thinking it is locked, when they did *not* close the deadbolt.
I wish there was a way to have it lock automatically, but the deadbolt part is manual.
After all, no one can get "locked out", because if they could enter the code to lock it, then they can enter it to get back in :happy

RM