TSA [is it a hassle to opt out of scanning?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ChessFan

TSA [is it a hassle to opt out of scanning?]

Post by ChessFan »

I'm going to be flying from Philadelphia Airport soon. This is my first flight since all the hullabaloo with the new TSA procedures and scanners. I intend to opt out of the scanning. I've had enough X-rays lately.

Has anyone had any experience with the pat-down they give you? How much do they make you strip down and are they really invasive? Am I letting myself in for a big hassle?
dgdevil

Re: TSA

Post by dgdevil »

You'll be fine. They may or may not have the Joe 90 machine anyway. The patdown - which many undergo if they keep failing the metal detector - is no biggie. Take the salami out of your front pocket. My only complaint is that you're not allowed near your hand luggage, shoes, belt, etc, so they sit forlornly, unattended, unguarded at the end of the conveyor belt while you are distracted.
drh

Post by drh »

I have opted out many times. You will start the process normally by putting all your stuff on the conveyor to be x-rayed, including your shoes, belt, jacket. When it is your turn to go through the machine, you inform the TSA agent that you would like to opt out. They will call out for an "assist" and ask you to stand to the side. You will have to wait for a different agent to come walk you through the metal detector. My experience is that this wait is not usually to long, but I have had to wait 10 or 15 minutes for this.

On the other side of security, they will explain the pat down process and ask if you want to do it in private. They will also ask about medical conditions/devices, sensitive areas. I never ask to do it in private. They put on gloves and pat you down basically. This includes running the back of their hand up your inner leg. They also fold open your collar, and briefly feel around your waistband. This whole process can actually vary I've found... some agents seemed to be a little more thorough (for example, once they patted the back/top of my head) while some seemed to go quicker. Once they are done, they rub their gloves on a test strip that is inserted into a machine that tests for explosive residue. This is where I have run into problems. I would say about 1 out of 3 times I set off the machine. There are many things that can cause this, as glycerin (which can be used to make bombs I guess), is also contained in lotions or hand soaps (I use Rogaine and I think it is in there too). If you set off the machine, what happens afterwards varies. Usually they redo the pat down. Sometimes they ask to go through your bag with their gloves, and do the same test for residue.

On one occasion, they agent simply repeated the pat down 3 times on me until it passed. A couple of times I have been taken to a private room where I was told I would receive a more thorough pat down but it seemed totally the same to me... I think they wiped across my feet where as they did not do that initially. One time, they had an "explosives expert" come "interview" me. It took a little while for him to show up, but all he did was basically examine the output from the machine and ask me where I was going. I am always early at the airport so it didn't bother me. If they take you into a private room there are always 2 or 3 TSA agents there. Everyone I have dealt with has always been professional, but I make it a point to be as polite as possible. Regardless of what I think about the whole thing politically, they are just doing their job...

I normally arrive at the airport 90 - 120 minutes before my flight. I would suggest arriving this early and maybe not using lotion or hand products the day of your flight -- since I started doing this I rarely set off the machine.
surfstar

Re: TSA [is it a hassle to opt out of scanning?]

Post by surfstar »

...or you could be done in 2 seconds with a scan.

OP, it sounds like you don't travel much - I don't think there's any real chance of TSA scans increasing someone's cancer rate/etc.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Much easier to go thru the machine and get scanned. You will get far more radiation during the flight than from a back-scatter machine. At many airports, often you just go thru a metal detector. My local airport (SJC) uses the metal detectors when it gets busy but TSA does seem to pick some people for the imager even then.

from the wiki article ....
"Unlike cell phone signals, or millimeter-wave scanners, the energy being emitted by a backscatter X-ray is a type of ionizing radiation that breaks chemical bonds. Ionizing radiation is considered carcinogenic even in very small doses but at the doses used in airport scanners this effect is believed to be negligible for an individual.[35][36][37][38] If 1 million people were exposed to 520 scans in one year, one study estimated that roughly four additional cancers would occur due to the scanner, in contrast to the 600 additional cancers that would occur from the higher levels of radiation during flight.[39]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray
mjb

Post by mjb »

hicabob wrote:Much easier to go thru the machine and get scanned. You will get far more radiation during the flight than from a back-scatter machine. At many airports, often you just go thru a metal detector. My local airport (SJC) uses the metal detectors when it gets busy but TSA does seem to pick some people for the imager even then.

from the wiki article ....
"Unlike cell phone signals, or millimeter-wave scanners, the energy being emitted by a backscatter X-ray is a type of ionizing radiation that breaks chemical bonds. Ionizing radiation is considered carcinogenic even in very small doses but at the doses used in airport scanners this effect is believed to be negligible for an individual.[35][36][37][38] If 1 million people were exposed to 520 scans in one year, one study estimated that roughly four additional cancers would occur due to the scanner, in contrast to the 600 additional cancers that would occur from the higher levels of radiation during flight.[39]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray
One thing to consider is the type of exposure. Millimeter wave (body scanner) energy is absorbed in the skin whereas the X-rays penetrate deeper. If you are at risk for skin cancer, opt out. I do. I used to nominally work in the electromagnetic wave industry.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I thought TSA removed all of the X-Ray machines and is now only using millimeter wave scanners?

http://www.propublica.org/article/tsa-r ... m-airports

Millimeter wave is RF more or less of the type used by cell phones.
MrBachelor

Post by MrBachelor »

I always opt out. I used to travel once per month for work for about 3 years, much less now. I've had many agents try to convince me of the "safety" of the scanner and why I should just submit to it (making their jobs easier). I have objected to the technology since it came out and proud to say I have never been through the scanner.

It is never been a big delay for me, 10 minutes at most. I have never set off the bomb detection machine though.
Phylomath
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Just go through the scanner. As was noted above, they don't use the X-ray machines anymore.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I fly about 4-8 times per year and refuse to go through the scanner. There is very little extended research on the subject. I will wait for 10-15 years worth of use and then decide if it is safe. Until then, the 5-10 extra minutes it takes is very little bother. It is a small price to pay for the small chance the government is wrong about its safety. The government has been known to make mistakes before.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
logical synapse

Post by logical synapse »

I also always opt out, and have never gone through a scanner (in the US). While I doubt there are medically significant effects from the scanning process, I opt out for privacy concerns. I consider the technology invasive. It usually takes about 10 minutes extra. One time I set off the explosives detection machine and was taken to a private room for a repeat of the same screening process and the same explosive machine testing which was uneventful. It's all security theater, but I am still respectful of the TSA agents doing their jobs despite my political beliefs.
subd3v

Post by subd3v »

I only fly a few times a year and always opt out of the scanning. I have had 8 pat downs at various airports of which 7 of those went very smoothly. I would recommend being very polite with the TSA agents but also firm as they sometimes try to convince you to just go through the scanner and to make sure you have plenty of time.

The one time I did have an issue I was flying out of PDX (Portland OR) where I felt I was punished for not going through the scanner. As per usual I removed my jacket and everything from my pockets and placed my carry on in a bin to go through the x ray machine. I then told the TSA agent I didn't wish to go through the scanner. He told me that it was perfectly safe and there was no reason I should no go through the scanner. I politely declined. He then called on his radio for a male extended search and had me wait. After 10 minutes he called again over the radio. 5 minutes after that a male TSA agent walked over and had me follow him around the scanner to an area just past where you collect your items after they pass through the x ray machine. He told me the scanners were safe and there was no reason I should do this and that it could cause me to miss my flight. I didn't say anything to that and he then explained the pat down process. The pat down went as usual with the TSA agent wearing latex gloves and rubbing them down over my clothing. At this point the protocol changed from previous extended search. Normally the agent will pull a patch from a box and run that patch over his gloves and then insert this into a machine. However this time they had 2 patches already removed and sitting on the counter. The agent used one of the 2 patches on the counter and ran it over his gloves, he then placed it into the patch reading machine. The machine printed something out and he called over his supervisor telling him that I tested positive. The supervisor told him to do a more thorough pat down. The thorough pat down was similar to the previous pat down but a longer. At the end of that pat down again the agent ran the other patch sitting on the counter over his glove and put it in the computer and it again tested positive. The agent then called over his supervisor who while smiling told me "this is what happens when you are difficult, you miss your flight. You could have been at your gate right now." The supervisor then had another agent take everything out of my carry on and search it and run the patches over the items. These patches however were coming directly from the box and they all tested negative. After my carry on was searched and swabbed all testing negative the supervisor told them to take me into a small room near the screening area and give me a third pat down screening. I complied without argument and the process was repeated again in the private screening room. This time however the agent used patches that came from a box and they all tested negative. At this point packed up my carry on for me (and did a very nice job. Clothing was folded, items placed in their original pockets, etc) and allowed me to put my shoes on and let me go to my gate.

The whole ordeal took just under an hour but as I arrived at security with plenty of time I had no trouble making my flight. The clothing I was wearing was freshly laundered and I take no medicines or use any skin products. I suspect they did something to the two patches that were out on the counter to make them test positive. Either that or the whole thing is a sham. Why would 2 screenings produces a positive and then a more thorough screening produce a negative?

Just be aware that things can happen when you opt for the pat down over the scan. Whatever you choose make sure you have plenty of time to get through security and treat the TSA agents respectfully.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

"and treat the TSA agents respectfully"

I go through the scanner and if challenged in the least always treat the TSA agents with disdain/contempt. They don't deserve my respect. FWIW.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I fly out of PHL a few times per year. Security lines can be long at random times. Sometimes I am in a TSA line with the scanner but they don't use it, and send people through the old style metal detector thing instead. The pre-check line also seems to get you out of using the scanner. I've refused the scanner at PHL (and other airports). I would allow an extra 15 minutes if you opt-out. I've had TSA agents try to talk me out of it, and make comments similar to what subd3v reported. I don't like the fact that at the larger airports, my luggage is out of my sight for much of the pat-down time. The TSA agents I've had during the pat-downs weren't rude but clearly didn't enjoy doing the pat-down and the fact that I was bucking the scanner system.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

subd3v wrote:
The one time I did have an issue I was flying out of PDX (Portland OR) where I felt I was punished for not going through the scanner. As per usual I removed my jacket and everything from my pockets and placed my carry on in a bin to go through the x ray machine. I then told the TSA agent I didn't wish to go through the scanner. He told me that it was perfectly safe and there was no reason I should no go through the scanner. I politely declined. He then called on his radio for a male extended search and had me wait. After 10 minutes he called again over the radio. 5 minutes after that a male TSA agent walked over and had me follow him around the scanner to an area just past where you collect your items after they pass through the x ray machine. He told me the scanners were safe and there was no reason I should do this and that it could cause me to miss my flight. I didn't say anything to that and he then explained the pat down process. The pat down went as usual with the TSA agent wearing latex gloves and rubbing them down over my clothing. At this point the protocol changed from previous extended search. Normally the agent will pull a patch from a box and run that patch over his gloves and then insert this into a machine. However this time they had 2 patches already removed and sitting on the counter. The agent used one of the 2 patches on the counter and ran it over his gloves, he then placed it into the patch reading machine. The machine printed something out and he called over his supervisor telling him that I tested positive. The supervisor told him to do a more thorough pat down. The thorough pat down was similar to the previous pat down but a longer. At the end of that pat down again the agent ran the other patch sitting on the counter over his glove and put it in the computer and it again tested positive. The agent then called over his supervisor who while smiling told me "this is what happens when you are difficult, you miss your flight. You could have been at your gate right now."
I hope you wrote letters of complaint all over the place.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

ChessFan wrote:I'm going to be flying from Philadelphia Airport soon. This is my first flight since all the hullabaloo with the new TSA procedures and scanners. I intend to opt out of the scanning. I've had enough X-rays lately.

Has anyone had any experience with the pat-down they give you? How much do they make you strip down and are they really invasive? Am I letting myself in for a big hassle?
If you are worried about this or really don't like the idea, just apply for PreCheck or Get a Trusted Traveler number from some other source (Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI?) and get PreCheck that way. They'll run some background checks on you.

Typically, PreCheck avoids all of the nastiness of scanners. Almost feels like the 1990's again....
daave

Post by daave »

eucalyptus wrote:I go through the scanner and if challenged in the least always treat the TSA agents with disdain/contempt. They don't deserve my respect.
Why do you think they not deserve your respect?

They're poorly-paid public servants who have to put up with a lot of unfair and mis-directed complaints every day.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I almost always talk to the TSA folks the same way that I talk here on the forum. They are good folks for the most part with all concerns that everybody has. Respect works both ways.

As noted, TSA pre-check avoids the scanners most of the time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Unless you are asserting some sort of independence or taking a stand against something, there really isn't a reason to avoid backscatter scanners or millimeter wave scanners. You'll get many times more radiation from being on the plane (therefore higher up in the atmosphere and receiving more cosmic radiation) than you will in the scanner.

An average 6 hour flight gives about 20microSieverts effective dose. A backscatter xray scanner gives about 0.05microSv. Going through a backscatter scanner is about equivalent to 10 minutes of natural background radiation; you would have to go through 200,000 times to equal one CT scan.

Millimeter wave scanning isn't even ionizing radiation.

So if you're worried about health effects, don't worry and go through the scanner.

If you're making a stand against something, by all means continue if it makes you feel better about something.

But I personally have no desire to extend my time in the security area by 10 minutes to (apparently) an hour, so I'll happily march through whatever scanner they have available.

(My credentials for this post are a PhD in radiation physics.)
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

From what I understand, the TSA is no longer using the "naked body" scanners, where the imagery was piped off to a separate room because of privacy concerns. The displays now just show a generic human form with an indication where suspicious objects/material might be. Because I am usually in a hurry to get through security, I haven't yet looked at the screen that the TSA official is looking at, but out of the corner of my eye it appears completely visible.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Security theatre. It's worthless (many tests show they miss planted objects like guns or bombs half the time link), expensive, and open to abuses of power as we've already heard. Do your part and opt out. Read more about the inside scoop from a TSA agent blogger:

Taking Sense Away

Here are some TSA agents who definitely don't deserve your respect:

http://tsascandals.wordpress.com
http://www.tsagoons.com
Last edited by Tanelorn on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

daave wrote:
eucalyptus wrote:I go through the scanner and if challenged in the least always treat the TSA agents with disdain/contempt. They don't deserve my respect.

They're poorly-paid public servants who have to put up with a lot of unfair and mis-directed complaints every day.

Deeply held, off topic views.
Ged

Post by Ged »

eucalyptus wrote:"and treat the TSA agents respectfully"

I go through the scanner and if challenged in the least always treat the TSA agents with disdain/contempt. They don't deserve my respect. FWIW.
Some day it would be nice for you to walk a mile in their shoes.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

eucalyptus wrote:
daave wrote:

Deeply held, off topic views.
If you can't talk about those views maybe you shouldn't bring them up in the first place.
drh

Post by drh »

eucalyptus wrote: I go through the scanner and if challenged in the least always treat the TSA agents with disdain/contempt. They don't deserve my respect. FWIW.
I read this board a lot (lurker for the most part) and I think this might be the most shocking/surprising statement I have ever read on here....
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

I opt out unless I'm tired or running late. I never see anyone else opting out, so I'm happy to read that it's not as uncommon as I thought. The TSA staffers are always friendly and respectful; no issues there. I opt out because I doubt the safety of the scanners, I don't like the "hands up" pose, and more generally, I am happy to be able to opt out of any part of the security theater.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Ged wrote:

I would like to think that conscience would prevent me from ever doing that.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

For a while, after a serious foot injury, I had a "boot", and I was requesting wheelchair assistance, as standing/walking even short distances/times was initially very painful.

Fortunately, DH was able to go through the detectors (metal or otherwise) and then collect assorted carry-on items at the other side, while "The Protocol" was followed for me to get a pat-down.

Most of the time, it was really a non-issue. The TSA rep was polite and occasionally apologetic. To that, I learned to reply along the lines of "No problem, I understand; better safe than sorry!"
They apparently MUST "read the rules" about how/where they will touch you, as I've tried to stop them, so neither of us have to waste the time, saying "Thanks. I know the drill, you don't have to say it again", until I realized they apparently DID have to say it again. So I didn't bother anymore.
They typically ask if there are any sensitive/painful areas, at which point I always repeat that other than my foot, there's nothing "special".

They swab the boot especially carefully, which I understand. It's removable with Velcro, so I always wondered why they didn't require me to remove it for further inspection, given how bulky it is.

For a year or two, the swab almost always came back positive upon first try, as did my hands sometimes.
I now think it must be the meds that I handle prior to separating out the amount I'll need for the duration of the trip. Ever since I started doing that the night before, there has only been a problem once.
(No, it's not the nitroglycerin they always ask about, so I have no idea which med "does it".)

A few times, there has been an ABSURD delay in getting an agent to do the pat down, and I'm convinced that in all but one of those cases, it was sort of retribution for causing them "inconvenience". The other time, it was really dreadfully crowded, and a mess, and I'm sure they had their hands full, so to speak.

One time, they "saw something" in my carry on, and started to open it.
I have NO problem with them searching, but they are not displaying my "smalls" (which I never put in checked luggage on principle) to everyone nearby, so I requested a private room. They emptied everything, and I expected trouble with some meds, but they didn't care about anything other than swabbing a few items.
I'll never know what it was they "saw" on the x-ray machine.

We always allow lots of extra time.

I still have a problem such that I can stand or walk in shoes, but NOT barefoot (not for long anyway), and there is usually no place to sit down during the "process" of walking/limping through.
So... I can walk through WITH my shoes, but that's not allowed.
ONE TIME, and one time only, someone had me sit down, put my shoes through the x-ray and swabbed them, gave them back to me to put on, and then I walked through the metal detector.

Now that we have Global Entry, so far anyway, we've breezed right through except once.

The very first time, I was apparently randomly (arbitrarily? truly random?) selected for the swab, and... I flunked again.
So then I had the full pat down anyway. The agent was super apologetic, and I just kept telling her I was fine with it, used to go through it a lot, no problem.

Since then, because I can keep shoes on at Global Entry points, it's been a DELIGHT... just like the early days of flying.
(Well, no, not quite. As one flight attendant/"stewardess" mentioned in an interview, "back then, we were issued white gloves; now we are issued handcuffs". Times have changed...)

That story above about the "special swab patches set out waiting" is something that always worried me, but not with anything seemingly so deliberate and *obvious*.
Whenever I've bothered to watch carefully, I've seen the TSA rep put on a new pair of gloves and seemingly get a new swab patch before starting.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Tanelorn wrote:Security theatre. It's worthless (many tests show they miss planted objects like guns or bombs half the time
Hm, I am not sure about that. In O'Hare airport, and in Vegas airport I traveled through recently, they even found paper napkin left in my pants' pocket. The point is, one definately cannot COUNT on being able to carry a weapon through. One can try, but based on my personal experiences of how throughly I was screened, will fail in at the very least 4 out of 5 cases. That is enough to prevent planning of attacks IMO. It is not like one can keep trying until they get lucky--the very first time they are caught they will be taken out circulation I figure.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Option 1: don't fly or have to deal with TSA at all.
Option 2: get the scan and take the very slight carcinogenic risk (very small). You can call me "neurotic" but I get very anxious any time those 2 or 3 low tech containers are out of my sight. I have read too much about items being stolen by non-TSA people who might be aware you are out of sight and occasionally, even TSA personnel themselves !!! I once opted out of the scan but was out of sight for 15 minutes. When I returned my bag, laptop and wallet were still there but I was quite nervous.
lululu

Post by lululu »

self deleted.
Last edited by lululu on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lululu

Post by lululu »

serbeer wrote: In O'Hare airport, and in Vegas airport I traveled through recently, they even found paper napkin left in my pants' pocket.
What were they thinking you were going to do with that paper napkin?
lululu

Post by lululu »

ResearchMed wrote:
One time, they "saw something" in my carry on, and started to open it.
I have NO problem with them searching, but they are not displaying my "smalls" (which I never put in checked luggage on principle) to everyone nearby, so I requested a private room. They emptied everything, and I expected trouble with some meds, but they didn't care about anything other than swabbing a few items.
A very nice security lady in the pre-hysteria days, saw something on the x-ray machine and asked me if I had a key ring. Apparently my large circular metal key ring, perhaps sitting next to a small cell phone, looked like something interesting.

By the way, there's a world of difference between that type of employee and the too often megalomaniac sadists now doing that work.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ResearchMed wrote:One time, they "saw something" in my carry on, and started to open it.
[…]
Once my carry-on bag was thoroughly searched leaving the UK. The agent said that I had a small plastic jar of liquid exceeding the limits. "Do you have any liquids in your bag?", they asked. They could not find it and I was helpful telling them that I did not have any liquid in the carry-on.

Eventually, they attributed what they saw to a small plastic jar of powdered laundry detergent that I had. The jar was on its side and the powder had settled under gravity with flat surface upwards and curved to match the jar below much like a liquid would. It also moved/resettled when the bag was put on its side for another X-ray.

Nearby at the same time, a woman had a carry-on filled with lots of smelly cosmetic liquids of less than 3 oz each. Some of them had leaked. The security folks were not having fun with that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
spaddlewit

Post by spaddlewit »

Wow, really, REALLY surprised to hear some of the stories in this thread.

I've opted out for years, with no trouble any time. Perhaps I'm extremely lucky.
Here's what I do:

*) Don't wear any makeup, lotion, hairspray, cologne, etc.... anything that could set the swabber off
*) Have NOTHING in your pockets. NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING. Not even a tissue.
*) Wear minimal clothing -- usually I travel in shorts and a t-shirt. Jeans if my destination is cold. Never wear anything bulky -- take it off and put it on the conveyor belt
*) At the entry to the scanner, smile at the attending TSA agent and say, "I would like to opt-out, please" (use these EXACT words... the process is all about using the words in the letter of the law. I imagine some of the folks with horror stories here might have used other verbage such as 'I don't want to go through the scanner')
*) He/She will signal another agent to attend to you. Follow them, and listen and follow to all of their directions.

I have NEVER had the experience take more than 10 minutes. Totally worth it every time.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

lululu wrote:
serbeer wrote: In O'Hare airport, and in Vegas airport I traveled through recently, they even found paper napkin left in my pants' pocket.
What were they thinking you were going to do with that paper napkin?
The scanner flagged it as suspicious item in the packet. They did patdown and found the napkin. Not exactly the false positie, but better safe than very fast IMO.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

spaddlewit wrote:Totally worth it every time.
In what way? What is it worth?
Ged

Post by Ged »

eucalyptus wrote:
Ged wrote:

I would like to think that conscience would prevent me from ever doing that.
I think it is really poor behavior to treat low level functionaries badly because you disagree with a policy they have no hand in making.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

BuckyBadger wrote:
TSA Found Over 1,800 Guns in Carry-On Bags in 2013

http://www.voanews.com/content/tsa-foun ... 37261.html

Actually, I think it is worth it even if not one of those persons trying to get their guns on a plane was planning to use it illegally.
Best Wishes, | Joe
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

JMacDonald wrote:
BuckyBadger wrote:
TSA Found Over 1,800 Guns in Carry-On Bags in 2013

http://www.voanews.com/content/tsa-foun ... 37261.html

Actually, I think it is worth it even if not one of those persons trying to get their guns on a plane was planning to use it illegally.
Either you misunderstood my question or I misunderstood your answer. I was wondering in what way it was "worth it" to ask for a special exception and get patted down rather than go through the scanner.

Obviously both of those things are designed to prevent people from getting weapons on board planes.

And your quote also doesn't make any sense to me. Carry on bags go through the x-ray machine either way. We're discussing a person opting out of a full body scan and requesting a pat down, not people putting guns into their carry on bags.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Odd how people who proudly extol a minimalist, no-hassle style of investing have no qualms about making extraordinary, time-consuming, frankly bizarre demands at the airport. Just walk through the metal detector. The least-unpleasant 2 seconds of your flying experience.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

drh wrote:there are always 2 or 3 TSA agents there. Everyone I have dealt with has always been professional,
Are we still talking about the Philly airport? They are some of the least professional TSA personnel in the system, generally matching the professionalism of the rest of the airport personnel. (I am from the Philly area, FWIW.)

Not that you asked OP, but I took the time and expense to get on the pre-check system. It was kind of on a whim, and I really can't justify it for the 1-5 times per year I fly ... but zipping past long security lines and leaving your belt and shoes on is SWEEEEET. Also don't remember being scanned, not that I care about that.
tashina
Site Admin

Post by tashina »

I think OP has enough useful replies and this topic is getting more off topic, so I'm locking it now.