online shopping for laptop PC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

hello all

where to look for best places for online laptop PC buying .
costco, walmart, amazon, PC outlets,refurbished.google, ebay, ??
looking for new i7,16gb,1tb,touch screen,
wich is good?? HP,dell ,acer, toshiba, asus,. i like windows 7, instead of 8.1
what do you think on google chromebook I love this .
For use of home and business.
thank you for input

best wishe
Last edited by looking on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imdeng

Re: online shopping for laptop PC

Post by Imdeng »

What is the purpose of the machine you are trying to buy? You can't be looking for an i7 and a Chromebook at the same time - they are at the opposite ends of the usage spectrum.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 14 inch model from Costco for about 600. Very happy with the purchase.

Keep in mind that top end Computer specifications (i7, several TBs HDD, 8+GB RAM etc) are for serious gamers/researchers/data-analysis-folks. If you will be using the machine mostly for email/web/MS-Word-Excel-PPT etc then it would make sense to not go for the highest specifications.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I have a Thinkpad, which you can get at shop.lenovo.com. And you can still get them with Windows 7.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Depends on what you want to do.Other than using Quicken software on my desktop or laptop,I find myself using Samsung Chromebook most of the time.But to answer your question.Wal-Mart,Sams,Costco,Amazon all offer excellent prices and a generous return policy. :happy

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Nightfal ... r/33664558

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_f ... =676578011
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
frogmaster

Post by frogmaster »

2 year old CORP Laptops that came off 2 year lease from dell. google dell financial services I got a $2500.00 refurb with new battery and 90 day warranty and ship to home for about $450.00
Mr Frog :sharebeer
Mr. Frog | :beer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just bought 9 Lenovos for TaxAide. They are nice machines. Amazon and Newegg had comparable prices but Newegg (preferred) couldn't supply nine so we went with Amazon. If I were buying for myself I'd look at Lenovo or Asus.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Optimistic

Post by Optimistic »

You say you prefer Windows 7. But, Windows 7 is not optimized for touch-screen. It is even less optimized for Google Chromebooks.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

I bought my 17" Dell at Costco, as they had good prices and of course the best customer service. I also bought an extended warranty through SquareTrade, because many of my laptops have needed service at some point after the regular warranty.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (shopping for PC).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

If you can wait about a month, you should be able to get a great deal on Black Friday. I ordered a new laptop last year from the comfort of my home. I believe I paid $399.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Here's how I bought mine. Go to bestbuy.com. Laptops. On the left, click refurbished. Click win7. There are 538 choices starting at $139.99
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Tom_T wrote:I have a Thinkpad, which you can get at shop.lenovo.com. And you can still get them with Windows 7.
+1
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'm on the road (for the 2014 Bogleheads Conference), so I'm using my Chromebook, which I use when traveling. As long as you have an internet connection, it will work fine for just about everything.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
pochax

Post by pochax »

Agree with other responses that you really need to decide what you want and why.

IF you end up the chromebook route and would like a 13" screen size form factor, i suggest the new Toshiba Chromebook 2 (CB35-B3340) with the higher end IPS 1080p screen and 4GB RAM. Although Amazon seems to be still waiting to restock, i was able to get one during the first wave back in late september and the display is the best you can get on a chromebook save the Pixel which is astronomically expensive. The new Toshiba chromebook 2 goes for $329. Although if you are into gaming or anything graphics-intensive, it will likely disappoint performance-wise since they downgraded the CPU to the BayTrail Celeron N2840 in order to maximize battery life and make it fanless.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

I am going to buy a laptop for my son soon. What I've found helpful is to go to BestBuy.com and look at what the purchaser review profiles are like. For instance, if it is a good seller there might be 100+ reviews. You don't want too many in the 1 star category and most in the 4 or 5 star. Then you read some of the reviews. Of course, spec and price are important too and they are there on the different tabs for a product. Here is an example link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1 ... &cp=1&lp=2

Then you actually check it out in the store if you can.

PS: That Asus 2 in 1 is something I'm thinking about getting. Anyone with opinions on it? It does have Win 8.1 and the OP wants Win 7. But I figure Win 8 will be OK for awhile until Win 10 comes out next year.
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob »

If you're not necessarily looking for a brand new one, may I suggest checking out the 'outlets' of Lenovo and Dell on their website. They have returned/refurbished items there and you may be able to snag an opened/returned one for far less the price of a new one. I own a lenovo bought >5 years ago and it hasn't had a problem to date.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

looking wrote:i7,16gb,1tb
What is your reasoning on these specs? A solid state drive would make a great difference in performance than any of these specs.

I need V8, 500hp, premium fuel only. I drive to the grocery store.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
gips

Post by gips »

I know something about this topic as I used to work for a hardware manufacturer, have made buying recommendation for companies and have networked with corp purchasers and IT departments. As a consumer, I don't think you can do better than the dell business outlet when they distribute 30-40% off coupons. The coupons can be found on the dell business outlet facebook page or you can sign up for their email.

Prices are excellent and I suggest you choose a unit that includes (at no extra cost) a 3-year warranty. The computer I'm typing on now, a dell lattitude 6230 needed $300 worth of repairs after year two. Dell fixed everything free of charge.
denovo

Post by denovo »

No matter what PC you choose , or Apple (shudder), I have come to the conclusion that most times you will get the best deal by purchasing directly from the manufacturer. not from an online or brick and mortar retailer. All of them have copied dell's model and aggressively price their units.
Last edited by denovo on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I monitor computer prices and most often buy from Dell direct but other brands, especially HP, you can do better not direct. Only time I bought from HP direct at a really good price was when they had a coupon that they didn't intend to be used against a model that was just released. The honored a certain number of coupons and cancelled the rest of the orders.

I have also done better with Dell a few times buying non-direct. There were a period of time I did better at provantage.com than Dell direct. Also note with Dell you can buy from the Home or Business side. For the Business side just put you name again when it ask for company name.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I have been well-served by Newegg.

None the less, it pays to shop around. Most any advice you get here will be out of date. Things change so fast in this world. New hardware keeps coming. Promotions come and go.

Lenovo is a good, high quality, brand but I got a better deal from Frys than from the Lenovo website. A week later it might have been the other way around. Also, Fry's will bargain. Websites won't.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Check out slickdeals.net and fatwallet.com. They are forums that are just for posting and discussing deals.

Your specs are also pushing you into gaming territory you can also check out notebookreview.com: http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-no ... uld-i-buy/
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Try http://www.techbargains.com/
You want touch screen, then you mention Windows 7 which does not have touch screen, neither do chromebooks.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
cliff22

Post by cliff22 »

I'd like to recommend asus and lenovo, I love mine
achen9291

Post by achen9291 »

Coming from IT background, I personally love lenovo and will always stick with lenovos. I work for HP so Im going to have to suggest that as an option. as for websites, wait until blackfriday/cyber monday and look at slickdeals.com it's one of the best places to find killer deals on anything. Also any sites like newegg or tigerdirect are good but the best deals will eventually make it's way to slickdeals from any site. Asus is a good brand as well, toshiba is decent too but lenovo has my number 1 pick.