How do you wash your car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How do you wash your car?

I wash my car myself.
30%
I use an express car wash (drive through conveyor, gas station etc.).
18%
I get a full service car wash.
16%
I rarely/don't wash my car.
35%

Total votes: 246

VictoriaF

Re: How do you wash your car?

Post by VictoriaF »

After a rain, my 1997 Civic looks like new.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

I hate my car.
Bought it 14 years ago as a salvage vehicle. Clear coat has been peeling for 14 years. It gets relatively poor gas mileage for its brand. It has a unresolved engine sensor issue that no one has figured out save replacing the cat converter, which will never happen.
I hate this car and unfortunately I just bought new tires.. :annoyed

I self wash my car. Just can't remember when. :confused
Last edited by LongerPrimer on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fposte

Post by fposte »

drawpoker wrote: I do think that part of being a true Boglehead - when it comes to spending money - is besides looking for good value - developing regular habits in taking good care of the things that cost a great deal of money.
I think there are as many versions of Bogleheadism as there are Bogleheads :D . It'd probably be out of step around here to regularly trade in your dusty car for a new one instead of washing it, but the rest of the variables on washing or not all seem pretty plausible to me. My personal take is that it's uneconomical to spend my time and money (and unecological to deploy a limited substance like water) on the appearance of my car, which seems to thrive just fine on benign neglect in that area. But that's also because I don't find that maintenance emotionally rewarding--in fact, the less time and money my car takes overall the more rewarding I find it--and you do. On the other hand, my yardwork, spreadsheets, and cooking exploits make me feel like I'm being very financially responsible, but their actual rewards are likely to be more emotional than monetary.

In general, I think money is like health--there are a lot of things we do because we believe thrifty/healthy people do them, without regard to whether they actually help our finances or health. "Do thrifty people do this?" is a different question from "Is this financially advantageous?"
Lablover0505

Post by Lablover0505 »

I hand wash myself once a month and run it through the Costco car wash once per month. I have a 2008 CRV and between the wash/wax and garage storage it still looks great. I think the extra time/ money spent helps keep value up. I'm surprised to see how many people use the rain to wash. Of course I live in CA and it doesn't rain.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I wash my car about twice a year.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Lablover0505 wrote:I hand wash myself once a month and run it through the Costco car wash once per month. I have a 2008 CRV and between the wash/wax and garage storage it still looks great. I think the extra time/ money spent helps keep value up. I'm surprised to see how many people use the rain to wash. Of course I live in CA and it doesn't rain.
+1 and it makes both myself and my wife feel good when we are either looking at it or sitting in it. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

drawpoker wrote:Didn't mean to set off a firestorm here. :oops:
Since I don't have a garage and my car is exposed to the elements constantly - I tend to forget that other people (maybe more prosperous than me) do have garages to keep their cars.
So, to start over again :P
Is it okay to say that people whose cars stay outside all the time are irresponsible, for not taking better care of car finish?
My cars have never seen the inside of a garage - we have one, but in the absence of a basement my husband has commandeered it as his playroom.

I live on the edge of town, adjacent to farmland, so when the dust is heavy in the air during planting or harvesting I'll sometimes reach the point where I can't stand it any more and drive through the gas station car wash. Or else wait for the seasonal rain. And when my kids are whining for spending money I'll sometimes toss them a few bucks to wash my car, though until recently that has mostly meant the lower half of the car (they're young and short). My last car was 12 years old when I sold it and the black paint looked fine to me, though admittedly I didn't really look too closely, and the moonroof did not leak. I am most certainly not irresponsible.

I wash the windows, of course, at every fill up.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Car washing seems to depend on the season. In the summer I wash and dry myself. In the winters I use a cheaper $5-$6 touchless car wash to keep the salt/slush off. 2-3 times per year I go to a full service interior clean/exterior clean place. There is a very nice exterior only, touch car wash about 3 block from our house. On Wednesdays you get 2 $9.99 washes for 1.

We have two black cars, so they seldom stay clean for long. So I guess I would need to mark most of the options over the course of a year. I do enjoy washing my car when it is nice out and I have the time. I can see myself washing it myself more as time and weather allows when FI is reached.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

I pay $17.98 per month for unlimited car washes. This touchless car wash includes undercarriage wash, brake dust, spray wax, spray clearcoat and hand dry. Including a $1.00 tip for the hand dry it has has cost me $3.78 per wash. Depending on weather the car looks show room clean on a consistent basis.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
celia

Post by celia »

drawpoker wrote:Didn't mean to set off a firestorm here. :oops:
Since I don't have a garage and my car is exposed to the elements constantly - I tend to forget that other people (maybe more prosperous than me) do have garages to keep their cars.
So, to start over again :P
Is it okay to say that people whose cars stay outside all the time are irresponsible, for not taking better care of car finish?
I think it is very irresponsible to wash your car when there is a drought! In my area, you can get fined for wasting water on something so frivolous.

I wash my car windows when they need it, for safety.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths »

slowandsteadyone wrote:
drawpoker wrote:Poll results are rather startling. So far, overwhelming majority of those who voted say they rarely/never get car washed.
Seems strange to me that bogleheads would be so, er, irresponsible, regarding such an expensive item.
:shock:
I bought a brand new 2010 Nissan Altima almost 5 years ago. The exterior of the car has literally never been washed unless you consider the rain that hits it as washing it.

Just the other day, I was wondering what negative consequences I might be in for at some point since some people seem obsessed with washing their car. Since you say it is "irresponsible" to not wash your car - you seem like a good candidate to ask! What am I in for that will show up eventually that hasn't shown up in almost 5 years?

Serious question! And thank you for any response.
Some car companies have better factory paints than others. Honda have (had?) notoriously poor paints with severe paint peeling/clear coat delamination over time. If I had a Honda I would perform a claybar and wax at least every six months though it may only the reduce the rate of decay.
Last edited by Busting Myths on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maj

Post by maj »

I don't wash my car.

I ride on the inside.
celia

Post by celia »

maj wrote:I don't wash my car.

I ride on the inside.
maj, Would you wash your bike? (assume you have one)
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
lululu

Post by lululu »

drawpoker wrote:
Maybe this poll is flawed. Is this something that may be gender-specific.
Besides washing my car on a regular basis (weather permitting), I also clean my diamonds and other expensive jewelry.
Is it so strange that some of us (women) want to take good care of the nice things we own, whether it be cars or other objects....... :?:
I'm female and washing my car is maybe item #113 on my list of things to take care of.

Are you implying (in fact stating) women clean stuff and guys are slobs?
Last edited by lululu on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Maybe 8 times in the last 10 years. Looks good as new whenever I do. I do clean the windshield a lot more than that though. I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, so resale is not much of an issue for me and the dirtier it is, the less people will think there's something worth taking inside.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I wash my car every few months when I'm not lazy. I live in the SF Bay Area.
aude

Post by aude »

Weekly by hand. Never car wash. Too many scratches.

Always before taking car in for service. I believe that a clean car gets treated better.
Kersten

Post by Kersten »

I wash my care about every three months. However, in Florida we have love-bug season so....if I am driving on HWY 75 during that season, a lot of sticky bugs accumulate on the front of the vehicle. Then, I wash it immediately when I get home. Also wax it once a year.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I bought my car in 2004 and have had it washed three times. Last time was around 2009, so I'm due for another wash. If we get any rain this winter then maybe I can hold out for another year.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Full service every 4-6 weeks so it gets vacuumed and surfaces wiped down - it's only ten bucks. In the winter we get heavy salt on the roads so I'll run it through the gas station automatic weekly just to wash the crap off.

Yearly I get the paint buffed & waxed. It's a bargain at $40 and brings back the mirror finish on the paint.
Statch

Post by Statch »

Very timely poll! I rarely wash my car, but kind of assumed everyone else does it all the time and felt vaguely guilty so when I retired this year, I started doing it myself once a month, which I don't enjoy. I was washing my husband's car too. Then I read that it's much more eco-friendly to take it to a carwash, which is required to handle the water runoff. Now I can take it somewhere and feel smug over not doing it myself :happy . In reality, I'll probably go back to not washing them. When I bought my latest car, the "extras" salesperson tried to guilt me into getting the undercoating by saying, "Don't you care about your car?" She looked shocked when I said, "No." A car is just a means of transportation to me.

That said, I sold my last car at the 5-year-mark. It was a black car; I had hardly ever washed it, and I found that the finish did have kind of a dusty look as time went on that didn't change when I did have it washed. I doubt that affected the trade-in value but of course I don't know for sure.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Undercoating is a racket. Something for the dealer to rip off people and inflate his profit. Consumer Union, Money Magazine, etc. consistently advise against taking it.
As far as the poll here, apparently it needs some tweaking. It should be emphasized that in areas like Southern Calif or other places experiencing terrible droughts, obviously people should not be wasting water but conserving every drop. So car washing would take a, er, backseat to other water priorities.
So washing in those circumstances would be very irresponsible, I agree.
Now, for all those people who say they let the rain take care of it - what about if you get acid rain (like where I am)
Don't you think you should at least be rinsing off (maybe not a soapy wash) to get rid of the crud in the rainwater?
fposte

Post by fposte »

The answer is no, I still don't think I need to wash my car, because do I live in a low-pH area (the Midwest) and it still hasn't seemed to be a problem.

You also talked about cleaning diamonds--I think that sounds a lot more fun than washing a car. If I had diamonds I might do that.
JoeliusZ28

Post by JoeliusZ28 »

I saw people asking the question of "why wash a car?" As a detailer I'll try to shed some light on that.

Personally, my daily driver gets only gets washed and waxed 2 or 3 times per year. However i clean it thoroughly, inside and out. I also live in michigan which is one of the harshest environments. I think this is the best if you want the optimal cost/benefit taking care of a driver. The idea is the car will look great while you own it (which most people care about) and still look great when you go to sell it. Mine always have and I have just about always gotten above blue book value for my vehicles since they present so much better than other vehicles with equivalent mileage. Also i find its a great way to calm one's own desires. One minute I might be daydreaming of splurging on a new car, but after a few hours detailing and I'm going "what was I thinking, I love this car :mrgreen: "

But anyway the idea behind washing and waxing is basically to remove corrosive contaminants from the paint that accelerate deterioration of the clearcoat. (and the wax prevents future direct contact of the contaminants). Those tiny little rust spots that appear behind the wheels for example are actually brake dust material stuck to the car, but it is not the car itself rusting...its the brake dust. However, the fact that it is there can deteriorate the paint just like road salt.

In many ways the finish of car is similar to a parking lot. Once small cracks develop where water can get in, the damage accelerates. Keep the "cracks" filled in with wax (or buff them away completely) and the clear coat won't begin to peel much like a freshly sealed parking lot wont develop potholes. Cracks in a parking lot are easy to see, but early stages of clearcoat deterioration will not be noticeable to the human eye. I've had cars 15 years old that never had a garage a day in their life and baked in the sun all day and the clear coat never peeled during my ownership because i kept the car clean and waxed.

Now all that said, i certainly dont believe in overkilling it. A thorough cleaning with a clay bar and wax twice a year is better than a weekly half-effort wash that doesnt remove contaminants.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I figure the layer of dust and grime provides protection against harmful UV rays :P
CABob

Post by CABob »

I use a combination of express wash and full service wash. If it is mostly surface dirt the express wash does a reasonably good job. For more significant dirt (bird droppings, tar, bugs, etc.) I use a full service wash and get the interior cleaned also.
Bob
davebarnes

I don't wash it, these guys wash it

Post by davebarnes »

I have the guys at http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-car-wash-denver wash my car.
Affordable and do a great job.
A nerd living in Denver
Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 »

Living in northern Minnesota I use the express car wash often during the 5 months of winter, assuming thencar washes are open which they aren't, about half the time because it is too cold. The each summer I take a half a day and wash and use paste wax to give it a good going over. The car still can shine and it is eleven years old, with no rust.
The market goes up, the market goes down.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Driving on the expressway at 55 MPH during a rainstorm is how I wash my car.
All the Best, | Joe
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

fposte wrote:.......You also talked about cleaning diamonds--I think that sounds a lot more fun than washing a car. If I had diamonds I might do that.
Hey, that is not deserved. Really. Please don't suggest a boast "talk about cleaning diamonds" - No ma'm. Not in the way you are insinuating. Far from it.
An analogy to make a point, okay? Nice car costs many thousands of dollars; diamond rings cost many thousands of dollars. Hmmmm, is it such a stretch ? Seems like it might be a good idea to take good care of these things. Seeing as how they cost so much. Is that too radical?
Even Alfred E. Neuman would get this. Keeping car washed and clean is good. Keeping diamond rings washed and cleaned also good. Only difference is Neuman, being contractually bound to Lazy R'Us, then would say - Me Worry, No, Too much work!
Sorry, but I don't own a valuable collection of rare art that I could have used in my analogy. Would you have preferred that, instead of reference to diamond jewelry?
Or how 'bout a sprawling, lavish estate, decorated in extravagant splendor, situated on manicured acres?
Sorry, don't have one of those, either.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Once a year, in the spring, I bring the car to my local car wash and I pay the $6 to run it through the conveyor belt. Until a few years ago, I'd get a $1-off coupon but I haven't seen any of those in a while. I live in an apartment building and my car is in an indoor, heated garage most of the time so it gets little exposure to the elements. I drive about 3,000 miles per year so it is not on the road often.

If the exterior window glass gets too dirty, I use the squeegee at my local gas station to clean it off. If I see a blob of bird poop somewhere on the car, I get a wet rag and rub it off.
Phika

Post by Phika »

I plan on holding onto my car for a long time. I've seen plenty of cars look absolutely rusted over here, and we don't get a lot of rain. So since I don't have a garage (hopefully someday) my car is exposed to the elements all day every day. I know we're in a draught so I don't try to wash that often, but once every half year or so - just to keep it all nice and clean, and so I can get a good wax coat on.
Cash

Post by Cash »

This is fascinating. I assumed everyone washed their cars somewhat regularly. My dad always washed ours at least once a week growing up. I take our 2002 car to the car wash once or twice a month. I pay someone to hand wash the 2011 car once or twice a month. That said, it's almost pointless to get them washed during the summer where I live in Florida. They will be dirty again the next day because of rain. During the winter, a car wash lasts much longer.
rakornacki1

Post by rakornacki1 »

I have always washed our cars myself. Relatively little inexpensive effort with good payback.

As a tip, I use Dawn liquid dish soap in warm water. This never leaves streaks.

Good luck.
denovo

Post by denovo »

I think it's a good idea to maintain the quality of the body point to annually have a good car wash do a buff, polish and wax. However, a full detail is totally unnecessary. Using clay bar, which is usually part of the full detail, is just for show and wears off really quickly even though car washes love to push it.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
fposte

Post by fposte »

drawpoker wrote:
fposte wrote:.......You also talked about cleaning diamonds--I think that sounds a lot more fun than washing a car. If I had diamonds I might do that.
Hey, that is not deserved. Really. Please don't suggest a boast "talk about cleaning diamonds" - No ma'm. Not in the way you are insinuating. Far from it.
It wasn't a sarcastic comment but a simple factual observation based on the other example you offered. Polishing stuff sitting in front of the television/music sounds pleasant to me; I'm much more inclined to cleaning like that, whether it enhances long-term value or not, because it's enjoyable to me.

Car washing isn't, and there's no indication that it's a necessary part of taking good care of my cars. It's not a core sample of an approach to life or finance--it's just that my car is insignificant to me and it doesn't repay extra time spent on it beyond the obligatory.
Last edited by fposte on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

We wash our cars about once per month. Either for "free" at dealer during service or in the driveway. It's a mindless chore I enjoy while listening to the ball game. My car is 17 years old but the paint is still in good condition. I attribute that to regular cleanings. My anecdotal evidence is that my mom had the same car and paint looked bad before she got rid of it this spring because she never cleaned it. I admire old non-antiques that are well maintained e.g. 1992 Toyota Corolla in great shape.

I do feel guilty for the 2 paid washes we got this year ($18 total) according to Mint. :oops:
JoeliusZ28

Post by JoeliusZ28 »

denovo wrote:I think it's a good idea to maintain the quality of the body point to annually have a good car wash do a buff, polish and wax. However, a full detail is totally unnecessary. Using clay bar, which is usually part of the full detail, is just for show and wears off really quickly even though car washes love to push it.
Clay bar is not just for show. Thats what that removes many of the corrosive contaminants from the paint, such as brake dust as i stated earlier.

If i had to choose between a weekly wash, and an annual detail (but never washing)... i would choose the annual detail. The dirt that wipes off easy isn't what corrodes a finish, its everything else that still clings after a wash. Granted, dirt definitely does its damage if its ground into the finish.
rakornacki1 wrote:I have always washed our cars myself. Relatively little inexpensive effort with good payback.

As a tip, I use Dawn liquid dish soap in warm water. This never leaves streaks.

Good luck.
Dawn is what i start with before detailing a car, it will get it the cleanest. But you should be aware that Dawn strips 100% of any wax applied. If you just waxed a car the previous week and then wash it with dish soap, you've wasted your time/effort.
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Here is where washing your car can save money:

My car is 9 years old with 160K miles. It is in good shape and runs well.
Sometimes I wonder how long it will last and start sniffing around at new vehicles
Then I notice that my car is dirty, and I give it some love inside and out
Then if feels like a new car and I forget all about buying another car
JoeliusZ28

Post by JoeliusZ28 »

desiderium wrote:Here is where washing your car can save money:

My car is 9 years old with 160K miles. It is in good shape and runs well.
Sometimes I wonder how long it will last and start sniffing around at new vehicles
Then I notice that my car is dirty, and I give it some love inside and out
Then if feels like a new car and I forget all about buying another car
I agree! Likewise I've had customers bring me cars to clean with the intention to sell them, and then when they get the car back theyre so shocked how good it looks they change their mind entirely.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

For us dedicated windsurfers, cleaning the car is futile.

That said, I did it yesterday- first time in a year or two- and it was satisfying.

I used a leaf blower to get the sand out. It was really fun to watch the sandstorm. Sort of like a scene from Lawrence in Arabia.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raladic

Post by Raladic »

Unless I missed someone already pointing it out - it is a very bad environmental move to wash your car yourself at home as whatever soap you use will make its way into the gutter and can kill fish and other wildlife at the runoff.

For those that currently wash their car at home to safe a dime, please reconsider to go to a carwash that has proper water/dirt capture systems that don't go into public drains.

Maybe the OP could call this out in the first post a matter of fact to educate everyone before answering the poll?
http://www2.erie.gov/environment/index. ... ar-washing
auntie

Post by auntie »

Sometimes in the morning the car is so covered with dew that I can't see out the windows. I usually squeegee them off but occasionally I'll grab the hose and rinse it off.

I think It has been actually washed 3 or 4 times since 2006. It has never been in the garage. The paint seems fine except for the place on the hood where a horse chewed on it. (I parked too close to the pasture fence and the horse was bored, I guess.)
High risk does not equal high reward. It equals high risk of no reward.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Raladic wrote:Unless I missed someone already pointing it out - it is a very bad environmental move to wash your car yourself at home as whatever soap you use will make its way into the gutter and can kill fish and other wildlife at the runoff.

For those that currently wash their car at home to safe a dime, please reconsider to go to a carwash that has proper water/dirt capture systems that don't go into public drains.

Maybe the OP could call this out in the first post a matter of fact to educate everyone before answering the poll?
http://www2.erie.gov/environment/index. ... ar-washing
Good point - but there are several biodegradable rinseless products such as the Optimum No Rinse Wash that use very little water - I wash my car with a two-gallon bucket of water, a capful of the wash, and a microfiber mitt, then just dry it off with microfiber towels. No water wasted in rinsing off.

I've even washed my car inside the garage with minimal mess :P

Now, if you have caked-on mud, then it's off to the commercial carwash with the high-pressure spray wands.

You can also use waterless cleaners such as Eco Touch (WCW24) Waterless Car Wash - 24 oz. - Amazon.com
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Where is the optionf for 'my kds wash my car'?

OP:

This is a very intriguing question for me as my car recently got dive bombed. I was able to get stuff off the front windshield, but the hood and the top and the side are still exhibiting the artwork. :oops:

Looks like I need to get the kids motivated ...
TDAlmighty

Post by TDAlmighty »

A few years ago I worked in a very-well respected body shop to help put myself through school. One of the long-term takeaways that I learned there is that with modern paint/clearcoats, you are almost always better off doing the MINIMUM. Wash/wax/polish/clay/etc may provide a small incremental benefit but the potential to do damage is very large. Hand-washing or hand-waxing does not remove this risk and in most cases actually increases it (just one tiny particle in that sponge).
WHL

Post by WHL »

I rarely wash my truck. It's a 2005, I use it for work and personal, drive it down rough oil field roads, etc. I keep the body in good shape.

I've washed the truck by hand maybe 10 times in the 9 years I've owned it. A few months ago I did it pretty thoroughly for the first time ever. Wash with dish soap, clay bar the entire surface, wash with good car soap, wax. I won't do it again before the truck dies.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I would wash my car myself, but our water is very hard and leaves spots. So I take it to car wash. $4 for exterior wash if after 6 PM.
Last edited by Leif on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Car wash membership. $36 a month and you can go as many times as you want.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.