How do you wash your car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How do you wash your car?

I wash my car myself.
30%
I use an express car wash (drive through conveyor, gas station etc.).
18%
I get a full service car wash.
16%
I rarely/don't wash my car.
35%

Total votes: 246

pennstater2005

Re: How do you wash your car?

Post by pennstater2005 »

Who knew there were so many ways to wash, or not wash, a car :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Ged

Post by Ged »

I take my car to the full service wash and interior clean in the spring and before I go out to lunch with former coworkers. :twisted:
chaz

Post by chaz »

Ged wrote:I take my car to the full service wash and interior clean in the spring and before I go out to lunch with former coworkers. :twisted:
Good timing.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Cash

Post by Cash »

JoeliusZ28 wrote:you should be aware that Dawn strips 100% of any wax applied. If you just waxed a car the previous week and then wash it with dish soap, you've wasted your time/effort.
Exactly. I would not recommend dish detergent of any kind to wash a car.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

I don't wash my car that much, but when I had a boat I'd wash it all the time.

Perhaps this is true of cars, too: if you wash it you notice things that are out of whack before they become problems. A loose license plate, a nail in the tire, etc. And cleaning your windows, inside and out, is really a safety issue.
JoeliusZ28

Post by JoeliusZ28 »

I have to say I think this thread highlights some regional differences i was not aware of. In the harsh climate I live in, cars that don't get cleaned degrade into beaters rather quickly, and that's not a good way to "keep what you earn." Its not unusual to see a 5 or 6 year old vehicle with rust on it around here, hence why people lovingly refer to the area the rust belt. However I can definitely see how in other states/climates it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal to leave a car unwashed for long periods of time. There are definitely people i know that don't wash their car as the results show here, but they don't have the attitude that "it doesn't affect the longevity of my vehicle." The attitude is more "Its already a beater and theres no point in polishing rust and dents" or "its a lease and its not my problem." I've yet to meet a person in the area who cares about the longevity of their vehicle that doesn't clean it at least once in a while. Also with the nearby great lakes I've also never heard of anyone being concerned about wasting water to wash a car. (chemical disposal is still an issue however). I think if anything around here, neighbors would probably be quicker to complain about "that rusty old beater car making my neighborhood look bad"
SamGamgee

Post by SamGamgee »

I bought my car used over ten years ago and I have never washed it. This thread confuses me.

I admit that the grey grime from winter road-salting occasionally makes me impatient for the next rain shower.
strafe

Post by strafe »

I find it it amusing that people claim the rain washes their car. Rain is what makes my cars dirty!

Also, I'm going to call B.S. on the statement that "I never wash the car and it looks as good as the day it was new."

I am by no means a detailing fanatic. I've never washed the car more than once in a week. Typically, I hand wash them about every 2-3 weeks. I apply a long-lasting polymer sealant that lasts at least several months. I do paint correction (swirl & defect removal) once a year or so. Wash takes about 60 minutes, quarterly waxing adds another 20. Annual paint correction takes 5-6 hours.

Keeping the finish maintained (1) prolongs paint life by removing bonded environmental contaminants for better resale value; (2) provides personal satisfaction and exercise; and (3) entices me to keep my cars longer (my oldest car is 30 years old; newest is 10).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

strafe wrote:Keeping the finish maintained (1) prolongs paint life by removing bonded environmental contaminants for better resale value; (2) provides personal satisfaction and exercise; and (3) entices me to keep my cars longer (my oldest car is 30 years old; newest is 10).
I replace my cars when mechanical problems become too costly. That always happens well before I become dissatisfied with the car's appearance.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Chip Spoons

Post by Chip Spoons »

Put a ten year old with 200K in Blue Book and checked two conditions for trade in value...

1. Excellent = Top 3% = $3171
2. Fair = Bottom 18% = $2009

How much does it cost to get from Fair to Excellent over ten years and 200K miles?
TDAlmighty

Post by TDAlmighty »

strafe wrote: Keeping the finish maintained (1) prolongs paint life by removing bonded environmental contaminants for better resale value;
I would suggest looking up values of your cars based on different "conditions" but keeping all other factors constant. For most late-model used cars, the difference is negligible and in almost all cases less than 10%. For a ten year old car I am guessing all that effort may amount to a few hundred bucks if you are lucky.
TDAlmighty

Post by TDAlmighty »

Chip Spoons wrote:Put a ten year old with 200K in Blue Book and checked two conditions for trade in value...

How much does it cost to get from Fair to Excellent over ten years and 200K miles?
Interesting, looks like it makes more % difference when the car is higher mileage than what I was doing (default mileage in the search which I believe is 12k-15k a year). But the nominal numbers are much lower, so the point remains the same... :happy
dewey

Post by dewey »

I only hand wash our cars. Average once every 2-3 weeks depending on the condition of the cars, e.g. lots of rain means road splash which isn't good for the finish plus it looks dirty. I apply wax/polish regularly, usually doing just a portion of a car after a wash--kind of like keeping up with painting the Golden Gate Bridge--never finished. We like to keep the cars clean and looking good. And we get regular offers to be sure to let so and so know when we plan to sell.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
JoeliusZ28

Post by JoeliusZ28 »

Chip Spoons wrote:Put a ten year old with 200K in Blue Book and checked two conditions for trade in value...

What does the private party value say? In my experience dealers aren't willing pay more when you trade in a well-kept car, but they certainly recognize the opportunity for more profit. This is another reason I always sell private party, i get substantially more back out of the vehicle. There is always someone willing to pay a high price for a clean, well-kept car with full documentation of the mechanical maintenance, its just never the dealership. ;)

Furthermore, I've purchased cars that needed nothing more than a good cleaning... detailed them myself, and sold them for profit.
Chip Spoons

Post by Chip Spoons »

JoeliusZ28 wrote:What does the private party value say?
I just put in that one scenario because that's how we roll; drive it 'til it doesn't want to go, shoot it, get another one.

We don't do dealer maintenance either. Have a mechanic and stay way ahead of the safety stuff (brakes, tires etc), but little else beyond oil changes. They keep going for a decade. What can I say?

Costs time and money to take immaculate care of a vehicle. Would be interesting to know if it's worth it. I have holes in my floor mats at 6 years. Maybe if there were image requirements tied into employment, or some kind of derived self-satisfaction benefit, it would change the balance? Hard to see how those could be universal.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

strafe wrote:I find it it amusing that people claim the rain washes their car. Rain is what makes my cars dirty!
Then it's not dirty enough when it rains.
fposte

Post by fposte »

JoeliusZ28 wrote:In the harsh climate I live in, cars that don't get cleaned degrade into beaters rather quickly, and that's not a good way to "keep what you earn." Its not unusual to see a 5 or 6 year old vehicle with rust on it around here, hence why people lovingly refer to the area the rust belt.
Though that term's based on the industry in the region, not the damage to cars there. Wikipedia claims that there's a Salt Belt for areas where salt damages cars at a greater rate; those states overlap some with the Rust Belt because the manufacturing regions are in cold-weather climbs, but you don't have to be in the Rust Belt to be in the rusty car belt.

--non-washer and non-ruster in the Salt Belt
denovo

Post by denovo »

JoeliusZ28 wrote:
denovo wrote:I think it's a good idea to maintain the quality of the body point to annually have a good car wash do a buff, polish and wax. However, a full detail is totally unnecessary. Using clay bar, which is usually part of the full detail, is just for show and wears off really quickly even though car washes love to push it.
Clay bar is not just for show. Thats what that removes many of the corrosive contaminants from the paint, such as brake dust as i stated earlier.

If i had to choose between a weekly wash, and an annual detail (but never washing)... i would choose the annual detail. The dirt that wipes off easy isn't what corrodes a finish, its everything else that still clings after a wash. Granted, dirt definitely does its damage if its ground into the finish.
See earlier in thread.........
JoeliusZ28 wrote:I saw people asking the question of "why wash a car?" As a detailer I'll try to shed some light on that.
:D
I agree that the annual service is more important than the wash, but that wasn't the issue. A detail usually consists of all the things I mentioned above plus the clay bar which is a waste.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
deikel

Post by deikel »

drawpoker wrote:Poll results are rather startling. So far, overwhelming majority of those who voted say they rarely/never get car washed.
Seems strange to me that bogleheads would be so, er, irresponsible, regarding such an expensive item.
:shock:
The expense in the item is the ability to transport me, my family or goods from B to B - I fail to see what the outside has to do with that ? I am not interested in resale value since I drive the car until its rapairs make it uneconomical (which usually leaves it at a 500-100 USD trade in value)

Hence my answer of rarely washing it. I will make an exception in spring with a under body wash to get the salt away from the body to prevent rust or if the car is so dirty that I will soil my clothes when getting in - other than that, todays paints are so UV resistant that it needs close to nothing - normal rain will do.

cost is about 9-15 USD in my area - at a monthly wash, that would otherwise be ca 120 USD just for optics - I can utilize that money much better (tire rotations, new wipers, oil exchanges)
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
JoeliusZ28

Post by JoeliusZ28 »

denovo wrote:

I agree that the annual service is more important than the wash, but that wasn't the issue. A detail usually consists of all the things I mentioned above plus the clay bar which is a waste.
Ok... I think we're in agreement then? I agree its a waste getting it done at a car wash. But it is an important part of a full detail. I would not be happy if i hired a detailer and he skipped that step.

Its also something a person can easily do themselves once a year if they have the time and physical ability. They make a noticeable difference on a car that hasnt been cleaned in a while, especially in areas where grime collects like behind the wheels. They can also be reused quite a few times before they wear out or become saturated with grit/grime.
denovo

Post by denovo »

JoeliusZ28 wrote:
denovo wrote:

Ok... I think we're in agreement then? I agree its a waste getting it done at a car wash. But it is an important part of a full detail. I would not be happy if i hired a detailer and he skipped that step.

Its also something a person can easily do themselves once a year if they have the time and physical ability. They make a noticeable difference on a car that hasnt been cleaned in a while, especially in areas where grime collects like behind the wheels. They can also be reused quite a few times before they wear out or become saturated with grit/grime.
Erm , no. Still I guess we have an argument. I think to maintain integrity you need the bulff,wax, and polish as part of the annual detail NOT the clay bar.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I wash my vehicle whenever it starts looking dirty - more the interior than exterior, lol.

It's parked outside and I live in a relatively mild climate, so not too often. Drive through car washes here are a rip off.

I am having the car detailed next week - we'll see how they do- $87 with Groupon.

I've reached a point in my life where I am quite a bit longer on money than time, so I am seeking out ways to outsource those tasks that I don't want to perform for myself.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Timely post - I'm planning on washing my car this weekend, and giving it a hard-earned wax, just before winter shows up on my doorstep.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Toons

Post by Toons »

I'm going outside now and wipe down one of my vehicles,,probably wash it later today. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I would say never but I think the kids got together a few years a go and washed them once. Between not caring and living on a clay/dirt road, washing them makes little difference.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I enjoy the look of a clean car. Also, I was taught at an early age to take good care of my belongings to preserve appearance and value. If my dad saw that I hadn't washed my car in 6 months, he'd still probably smack me. The logic of the folks who never wash their cars just doesn't compute for me. It's akin to not mowing the lawn and letting it grow 3 feet high, or letting all of the paint fall off of my house.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

deikel wrote:
drawpoker wrote:Poll results are rather startling. So far, overwhelming majority of those who voted say they rarely/never get car washed.
Seems strange to me that bogleheads would be so, er, irresponsible, regarding such an expensive item.
The expense in the item is the ability to transport me, my family or goods from B to B - I fail to see what the outside has to do with that ? I am not interested in resale value since I drive the car until its rapairs make it uneconomical
Well, I am not overly-interested in resale value either except ----
if I wake up dead tomorrow I would very much like to see the executor get as much as possible when selling the car for the estate.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Cherokee8215 wrote:I enjoy the look of a clean car. Also, I was taught at an early age to take good care of my belongings to preserve appearance and value. If my dad saw that I hadn't washed my car in 6 months, he'd still probably smack me. The logic of the folks who never wash their cars just doesn't compute for me. It's akin to not mowing the lawn and letting it grow 3 feet high, or letting all of the paint fall off of my house.
Well said :sharebeer
Chip Spoons

Post by Chip Spoons »

Cherokee8215 wrote:I enjoy the look of a clean car. Also, I was taught at an early age to take good care of my belongings to preserve appearance and value. If my dad saw that I hadn't washed my car in 6 months, he'd still probably smack me. The logic of the folks who never wash their cars just doesn't compute for me. It's akin to not mowing the lawn and letting it grow 3 feet high, or letting all of the paint fall off of my house.
If I don't mow the lawn, I can't play croquet.

I've seen what weather can do to houses where the paint has worn off.

I'm really not seeing similar damage to the finish of the unwashed car?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Cherokee8215 wrote:The logic of the folks who never wash their cars just doesn't compute for me. It's akin to not mowing the lawn and letting it grow 3 feet high, or letting all of the paint fall off of my house.
Where I live not cutting grass is against city regulations and paint coming off the the house will allow adverse effects to an asset that I expect to have significant value as the years go by while my vehicle will be at a minimal value whether I wash it or not so I suggest trying some better analogies.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

placeholder wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:The logic of the folks who never wash their cars just doesn't compute for me. It's akin to not mowing the lawn and letting it grow 3 feet high, or letting all of the paint fall off of my house.
Where I live not cutting grass is against city regulations and paint coming off the the house will allow adverse effects to an asset that I expect to have significant value as the years go by while my vehicle will be at a minimal value whether I wash it or not so I suggest trying some better analogies.
Fine, you win that one. Instead of another analogy I will just say that personally I think that unless you work daily on a construction site or something, a never-washed car is a sign of laziness, neglect, and lack of pride. I don't care what any random person does with their car. Drive it around caked in 10 years of mud for all I care. I just would not buy one that has been neglected in such fashion, which again, is my opinion, and I tend not to associate with people who don't responsibly care for their belongings.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

drawpoker wrote:
deikel wrote:
The expense in the item is the ability to transport me, my family or goods from B to B - I fail to see what the outside has to do with that ? I am not interested in resale value since I drive the car until its rapairs make it uneconomical
Well, I am not overly-interested in resale value either except ----
if I wake up dead tomorrow I would very much like to see the executor get as much as possible when selling the car for the estate.
If you wake up dead tomorrow, you will probably be a zombie and your executor will probably be more interested in keeping you from eating their brain than selling your car.

:mrgreen:
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Cherokee8215 wrote:Fine, you win that one. Instead of another analogy I will just say that personally I think that unless you work daily on a construction site or something, a never-washed car is a sign of laziness, neglect, and lack of pride.
I'm not out to impress anyone with my vehicle although some are impressed in spite of a bit of dirt (and since we get a fair amount of rain here it's not all that much) just because it's a full sized Bronco.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Crow Hunter wrote: If you wake up dead tomorrow, you will probably be a zombie and your executor will probably be more interested in keeping you from eating their brain than selling your car.

:mrgreen:
True enough. And a very fair statement to make, for sure !
But, er, um, barring those unforeseen events, still don't get it. Why so many posters here have this cavalier attitude about taking good care of car exterior.
Guess they all have spouses. Or other loving blood relatives in the will. Who will inherit their personal property.
Including the ill-kept automobile. With its shabby appearance.
:P :P
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

I have lived in New England and been driving for the past fifteen years. I have never washed , nor had washed any vehicle washed, ever. Not once. Never had a garage at home or at work. No issues noted.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

We use a car wash that has felt "brushes", because we just can't manage it ourselves any longer.
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

Cherokee8215 wrote:
placeholder wrote:
Fine, you win that one. Instead of another analogy I will just say that personally I think that unless you work daily on a construction site or something, a never-washed car is a sign of laziness, neglect, and lack of pride. I don't care what any random person does with their car. Drive it around caked in 10 years of mud for all I care. I just would not buy one that has been neglected in such fashion, which again, is my opinion, and I tend not to associate with people who don't responsibly care for their belongings.
I challenge the assumption you know a "never washed" car when you see one. You may know a freshly washed car, but if your car was washed a week ago and it has rained since then, I have bad news.

Keep the inside clean, let Mother Nature handle the rest (for me). Comparing that to a lawn that is six feet high is silly, in my opinion. Please note: I am not against people washing their cars, for me it just isn't worth the time and effort.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Rarely to never.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a few off-topic comments which challenged someone's response to the poll. Let's take it at face value and assume the response is accurate.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Now I get full service car washes, but when I was a little younger ( but not young enough to do a full-scale driveway slosh and hose-down wash), I used this:

http://www.protectall.com/qelong.aspx

I learned to use this in RV parks where vehicle washing wasn't allowed (it would have been like washing a whale ). You don't need a hose, and can do a little bit at a time, while waiting for someone, or while talking to a neighbor.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash diluted in a bucket of water per instructions. Apply with sponge using elbow grease as needed. Dry with a cloth towel.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

I've read every previous post, and it's been very interesting. I think it really boils down to human nature. Some people are very fastidious about certain things. I can't recall a single post that was particularly convincing when trying to make the argument that the car's long term value or reliability was at stake. More often the arguments in favor of frequent washing ring more like moral admonishments. But that's just my take.

I have never been big on frequent car washing, and I would never do it myself. But living in the salt belt, it needs to be done in the winter if you don't want salt on your clothes (I'm not careful enough to avoid brushing up against the car I guess). I have always suspected that having the undercarriage spray was good for preventing rust, but I have no idea whether that's true. I do remember reading that one's car is more likely to rust in a heated garage than in a non-heated garage, because at low temps the oxidation doesn't happen very fast. I have no idea if that's true or just an urban legend.

I've driven my last two cars for ten and fourteen years respectively, washing them occasionally, with neither one ever showing much rust. Recently bought a new car and have not washed it yet. Am planning to though. I don't believe I could ever wash my car without first spending several weeks (or longer) planning to wash my car. Maybe that would be a good follow-on poll: how long do you spend planning to wash your car before you actually break down and crack open your wallet or purse?

And that's all I can think of right now to say about this.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 »

Closer to never than rarely. I have a 2002 and it still runs like it was new.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

drawpoker wrote: Why so many posters here have this cavalier attitude about taking good care of car exterior.
Guess they all have spouses. Or other loving blood relatives in the will. Who will inherit their personal property.
Including the ill-kept automobile. With its shabby appearance.
My truck cost me 15k when I bought it 15 years ago so if washing it frequently made $500 difference in its current value I would be surprised and all the money saved over the years not washing it goes to my heirs so if I died while I still have this vehicle they'll probably more interested in the 1 million + in mutual funds than the somewhat dirty (but not that dirty because again RAIN and all that) truck that makes up a teeny bit of the estate.