Anyone cancelling travel plans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Loon11

Anyone cancelling travel plans?

Post by Loon11 »

We are booked for a cruise Nov. 29 and frankly, we are wondering if its a good idea to be on a cruise ship with the current
epidemic scare. We realize its a tiny probability, but still....being in a closed ship with several thousand strangers not knowing if there is a lurking
contagion. Are we being overly paranoid?
The Wizard

Re: Anyone cancelling travel plans?

Post by The Wizard »

Yes, you're being overly paranoid...
Attempted new signature...
cfs

Post by cfs »

Not on my side of the keyboard.

Leaving to South America in three weeks, steady on course.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

I think so. We were in Dallas 3 weeks ago for the Cowboys - Saints game (Cowboys fan) when the news broke the first US case was confirmed there. I'm going back to Dallas for the Colts game in December. News would have to change significantly from what is going on now to get me to cancel the trip. I would be inclined to pay a few extra dollars for trip insurance for new trips I book for a little while (assuming there are no exclusions that would be loopholes in payment if situation worsened).
sambb

Post by sambb »

Wow. It seems that one is far greater risk of dying in a car accident, getting hit by a drunk driver. Financially, might be prudent to just stay at home if this is one's concern.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

stevewolfe wrote:I think so. We were in Dallas 3 weeks ago for the Cowboys - Saints game (Cowboys fan) when the news broke the first US case was confirmed there. I'm going back to Dallas for the Colts game in December. News would have to change significantly from what is going on now to get me to cancel the trip. I would be inclined to pay a few extra dollars for trip insurance for new trips I book for a little while (assuming there are no exclusions that would be loopholes in payment if situation worsened).
There is travel insurance that allows CFAR ("Cancel For Any Reason") coverage at an extra charge. However, that usually must be purchased within a short time (14 or 21 days) of the FIRST payment for the trip, regardless of how far in advance.
(There is one company that allows it much later, but - no surprise - it costs a *lot* more for that policy.)

Without CFAR, the insurance probably wouldn't cover this unless travel was cancelled by the carrier, or something like that. Not sure if "just the game" were to be cancelled; you'd want to check.

If you are really interested in this, now or in the future, there are discussions on CruiseCritic.com under the "Insurance" sub-forum, which is not at all restricted to "cruise" related travel, although most of the questions include that type of travel.

And CFAR only pays for about 75% (could range from less to more, per insurer and policy type) of the covered costs.

Better yet, contact someone at TripInsuranceStore.com
They offer all sorts of policies from a variety of vetted insurers.
But TALK with them. It's almost impossible to get the "fine print" info you'd need from the comparison charts online.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

sambb wrote:Wow. It seems that one is far greater risk of dying in a car accident, getting hit by a drunk driver. Financially, might be prudent to just stay at home if this is one's concern.
Sock away a few hundred gallons of fresh water, 250 pounds of Slim Jims and a dozen large 12-roll packages of TP.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

ask us again in 2 weeks
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Actually the opposite. I'm hoping this creates some good buying opportunities so we can go on some luxury vacations at a great price. We got some great airfare and cruise bargains back in 2009/2010.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

stan1 wrote:Actually the opposite. I'm hoping this creates some good buying opportunities so we can go on some luxury vacations at a great price. We got some great airfare and cruise bargains back in 2009/2010.
Same here. We went to Italy in 2009. Great prices for air and hotels.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Many of us are going to the Bogleheads conference on 22-24 October 2014. The only expected infection spread is that of wisdom.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
wander

Post by wander »

If one passenger is identified infected with Ebola, all the passengers will be sent home.
Ebola fears: Airline contacts 800 passengers, country issues travel bans
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Not now. I'm on a cruise in December.

I'm looking for airfares to come down. A little spread of the E bola bola should bring down airfares quickly.

Course then I may want to cancel my cruise.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Family's going to a major football game. I'd worry more about sociopaths in the stadium than ebola.
magellan

Post by magellan »

Nothing is certain, but it's reassuring that none of the family members of that first Ebola patient in Texas contracted the disease, despite living in close quarters with the patient for days after his symptoms began.

That indicates that the disease isn't highly contagious until an infected person is very very sick, perhaps near death. Our understanding could change, but folks well enough to stand in line at a boarding gate or a cruise terminal don't seem likely to be very contagious, if at all.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

my wife and I went to disney world 6 weeks after sept 11 2001. place was empty(relativly for wdw). had a great titme
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

jebmke wrote:
sambb wrote:Wow. It seems that one is far greater risk of dying in a car accident, getting hit by a drunk driver. Financially, might be prudent to just stay at home if this is one's concern.
Sock away a few hundred gallons of fresh water, 250 pounds of Slim Jims and a dozen large 12-roll packages of TP.
With 250 pounds of slim jims, you might want to increase that toilet paper allocation.
skylar

Post by skylar »

Influenza still kills far more people than Ebola. If you don't avoid traveling during flu season, you should be OK traveling now. The media are just hyping this to sell more ads.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

No, we are not cancelling any travel plans. Why should we? The only fear I have is driving to the airport 70 miles away in January in snow or ice, but even that won't stop me. . Now, if I was scheduled for a photo safari in Africa, maybe I would, but ONLY that.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I am flying for work on Monday and I will say it has crossed my mind. But I think the situation is very very isolated at this point and the risk is about as close to zero as you can get without it actually being zero. I did hear an interview with a disease expert on the local radio recently and he made the point that we are going into winter flu season and it would not be unheard of to have 30,000 deaths or more attributable to influenza this winter in the US in a bad flu season. This is probably a bigger worry from a risk standpoint if you are on a cruise ship or other public transportation.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I will be avoiding flying but not because of Ebola fears I just don't like being on planes.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

No. Our travel plans remain unaffected. I'd fear the wrath of Zeus more: http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/odds.htm
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

More people die of the flu than Ebola each year. Time for those flu shots. BH folks tend to trust in odds and scientific method, so I would not be canceling plans.

If it ever becomes airborn, it's a game changer.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Leaving for Dallas tomorrow a.m.

Driving to the airport may be the biggest risk. :wink:

Enjoy your trip.

Lev
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Off to Dallas next Friday. Looking forward to visiting friends.
sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz »

i was going to nyc for interview but i cancelled it.

not worth the risk, this thing is real!
raymclean

Post by raymclean »

As things stand now, no cancellations of trips, but your anxiety is normal. We all know that the media want to hype this, like every other such danger, so it will be blown out of proportion. Nevertheless, I noticed this list of some things we can do while traveling to reduce our exposure to colds, flu, etc. This is from the World Clinic web site, which describes itself as
"WorldClinic Continuous Connected Care
Exceptional concierge telemedicine, personal health planning and prevention for executives, high net worth individuals and families, performers and athletes, and frequent travelers. Anytime. Anywhere."

http://www.worldclinic.com/7-steps-you- ... rom-ebola/

"There is much to consider as we deal with Ebola close to home. Remember that your risk of contracting Ebola here remains low, but it makes sense to be vigilant…not just about Ebola, but about contracting any viral or bacterial illness.

The following are 7 simple steps you can take to help protect yourself:

1. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
2. When traveling, use alcohol-based wipes to clean the arm rests, seat back in front of you, tray table and seat belt buckle
3. Avoid touching your face and eyes
4. When you are sick, stay home and avoid others around you who are ill
5. Carry your own pen and use it to sign credit slips and other documents in public
6. Get a flu vaccine so that if you develop symptoms, influenza can be ruled out
7. Have an N95 mask available

Well, #1,3,4 and 6 are fairly obvious, but I think I will take along some of those alcohol-based wipes on my next trip. Maybe the mask, too.
Enjoy your cruise!
Topic Author
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

Thanks everyone! we are going to pick up a supply of wipes, hand sanitizer, and limit bathroom use to our cabin for starters.
And...if the bottom falls out between now and Nov. 29, we will stay home.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Put me in the "don't worry about it" category. My wife and I flew to Dallas this past Monday and back home on Wedneday. I will say I used my hand sanitizer regularly, but that's standard practice for me anyhow.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Frugal Disciple

Post by Frugal Disciple »

All of this is being overhyped for the upcoming election. Unless something changes substantially, we won't be hearing much more about it by Thanksgiving. Don't change your plans.
**Insert witty and/or insightful quote here**
richard

Post by richard »

You have a much larger chance of dying from furniture tipping over than from Ebola.
How freaked out should you be: Council on Foreign Relations scholar Micah Zenko found that tip-over kills about as many Americans per year as terrorism does, and injures many more. In theory, then, you should be just as freaked out by tip-over as you are by terrorism. Based on the fatality rate, you should be much more freaked out about tip-over than you are about Ebola.
Heart disease, cancer, guns, cars, the flu each kill vast multiples of the number likely to die from Ebola.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/17/6988377/t ... -furniture
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

Frugal Disciple wrote:All of this is being overhyped for the upcoming election. Unless something changes substantially, we won't be hearing much more about it by Thanksgiving. Don't change your plans.
or....maybe its being covered up because of the upcoming election and the crap is going to hit the fan afterwards....

not changing any plans. i drive. don't fly.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Loon11 wrote:We are booked for a cruise Nov. 29 and frankly, we are wondering if its a good idea to be on a cruise ship with the current
epidemic scare. We realize its a tiny probability, but still....being in a closed ship with several thousand strangers not knowing if there is a lurking
I'd be a lot more worried about Norovirus on a cruise than Ebola.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I don't think that Ebola per se at the moment would be my chief concern. However, much as I have always been interested in potential cruises, I have avoided them and likely will continue to. Again, not Ebola but a slew of possibilities known and unknown. Unlike almost anything else, including an airplane which has a limited time you are confined, you can be out to see and spend days stranded for any number of reasons. Should there be an infection that is rapidly spreading,, not like Ebola which supposedly is not spread airborne (imagine if it was), you are literally a prisoner. And as to precautions and how situations are handled, I am like our President Obama on this one: I am seething at how the Ebola situation was handled and not confident about other events - I hope I am within bounds on this one, if not, please delete this statement..... So I'll stay landbound.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Lady just chilling at Dulles in her homemade Hazmat suit
https://twitter.com/jdhenchman/status/5 ... 4947547137
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Sheepdog wrote:Now, if I was scheduled for a photo safari in Africa, maybe I would, but ONLY that.
I'm not sure why you would cancel even then. The primary areas for safaris are in East Africa and southern Africa, while Ebola is currently a problem in West Africa. Would you cancel a trip to Florida because some people are sick in Oregon?
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I have put all planned travel on hold for the next three weeks. None was critical. I will reassess risk after that time-point.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Pizzasteve510 wrote:More people die of the flu than Ebola each year. Time for those flu shots. BH folks tend to trust in odds and scientific method, so I would not be canceling plans.

If it ever becomes airborn, it's a game changer.
Just a slight nitpick. It is true that 30,000 people die from the flu in the US every year, but the flu tends to kill people who are already immunocompromised or have weak immune systems. Ebola can take out healthy people very easily.

That's not to say I would cancel any plans because the chance of getting Ebola is very low but I'd much prefer to have the flu over the ebola if those were my only two choices.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
jstrazzere

Post by jstrazzere »

Loon11 wrote:We are booked for a cruise Nov. 29 and frankly, we are wondering if its a good idea to be on a cruise ship with the current
Cruise ships always carry contagious passengers ... always have, always will.

Recent Ebola scares haven't added any contagion risk to cruises that wasn't there previously.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

I'm currently on a business trip to Texas. Some family members did raise some concern to me about traveling close to Dallas but I've no change in plan. I hope we can contain this ebola crisis and limit the outbreak to only two victims.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

richard wrote:You have a much larger chance of dying from furniture tipping over than from Ebola.
How freaked out should you be: Council on Foreign Relations scholar Micah Zenko found that tip-over kills about as many Americans per year as terrorism does, and injures many more. In theory, then, you should be just as freaked out by tip-over as you are by terrorism. Based on the fatality rate, you should be much more freaked out about tip-over than you are about Ebola.
Heart disease, cancer, guns, cars, the flu each kill vast multiples of the number likely to die from Ebola.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/17/6988377/t ... -furniture
A little note for our friends in earthquake country who haven't secured their furniture. And anyone else with kids or pets who might climb on things.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

denovo wrote:Ebola can take out healthy people very easily.
So can teenagers with cell phones and a car.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Sidney wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic) [link fixed by admin LadyGeek]
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Back on September 1, I booked a Southwest round trip flight from Portland to Sacramento and back for the Thanksgiving holidays. No fear. No regrets.
Gordon
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

denovo wrote:
Sidney wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)
Yes I understand that but I don't get excited about either one because the risk is quite low and the result is the same. If someone said "worry about one," I'd worry about the cell phones. Cell phone deaths have exceeded DUI deaths in my area and the local sheriff is resigned to the fact that on board internet in cars is going to break the whole thing wide open. He may be wrong but they are assuming DUI deaths will be dwarfed by distracted driving deaths in a couple of years.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

I'll be flying for Thanksgiving. Five cases of Ebola is sufficiently close to zero. If it starts spreading, and we end up with hundreds of cases (which I highly doubt), then I'll reconsider.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

Sheepdog wrote:No, we are not cancelling any travel plans. Why should we? The only fear I have is driving to the airport 70 miles away in January in snow or ice, but even that won't stop me. . Now, if I was scheduled for a photo safari in Africa, maybe I would, but ONLY that.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Just bought my tickets to go back to Kruger
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

Not canceling any plans, and I had a layover in Madrid ("Europe's Dallas") last week and didn't worry. It goes without saying that you should stay away from the three affected countries (unless you plan to volunteer there), but other than that, there's no need to change your plans or alter your life in any way. (Of course, you may want to send a donation to Doctors Without Borders/MSF!)

Caveat: If the virus becomes airborne -- which all serious epidemiologists insist won't happen -- you should probably stay home. Even then, you will probably not get Ebola, but the paranoia will be in full swing, and you don't want to get stuck for 21 days because someone on the ship has a fever (in the middle of flu season).
Last edited by bcjb on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We have stopped watching "Dallas." Too risky.
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

My only concern in your case, OP, is that this is a cruise. I think this Ebola scare will get much worse before it gets better, with more infections in the USA. So with fear increasing, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned you'd get Ebola, but I'd be concerned about unwarranted inconvenience.

November is hitting flu season, and also norovirus season as well. Norovirus happens on cruises, but now I'd be worried if someone starts vomiting, people are automatically going to think Ebola. Will this mean quarantines, 21-day watches, or other things that may put a damper on your trip or the aftermath of it? That would be my bigger concern.