want to live foreign country

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
looking

want to live foreign country

Post by looking »

hello all
I m thinking living in foreign country and buy home there, but no clue as to where,how, what--
with SS money $ 1500 and retiremnt income $$2000 total $3500 per months ---some cheap , safe ,medical facility, tropical weather,blue WATER,WHITE SAND BEACH,FISHING, SWIMMING,-- can you buy home and owne as a foreigner-- i can live on some ss money ,stock portfolios, and --and as a single guy--
may be filipine ,pacific island, guam,panama,costa rica,panama, no clue where to find--
i dont want to die here in california --too expensive to die here.
please anyone has some experiences share with me.
Last edited by looking on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asset_chaos

Re: want to live foreign country

Post by asset_chaos »

I think you'll have to narrow down what part of the world you're interested in before you can get concrete advice. I moved to Australia, though not to the tropical part, for work a number of years ago, and Oz has everything on your list; although, cheap may be debatable now. My residency visa was sponsored by work, so that was easy. Subsequently I have bought a house. As an offical resident in any country, I believe one is usually able to own property. In general, how easy it is to get a residency visa for retirement will depend on the country.

If you just want to leave California for a different warm place by the ocean, have you considered the Gulf coast?
Regards, | | Guy
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

asset_chaos wrote:I think you'll have to narrow down what part of the world you're interested in before you can get concrete advice. I moved to Australia, though not to the tropical part, for work a number of years ago, and Oz has everything on your list; although, cheap may be debatable now. My residency visa was sponsored by work, so that was easy. Subsequently I have bought a house. As an offical resident in any country, I believe one is usually able to own property. In general, how easy it is to get a residency visa for retirement will depend on the country.

If you just want to leave California for a different warm place by the ocean, have you considered the Gulf coast?
that is exellent idera but whch part of gulf cost pl tell me so you have home now in australia or northern pat of au is very chaep,tropical my sone is working at AU sudeny
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

If language for you is not an issue, try Santos, Brazil or even Panama. More adventuresome would be Thailand or India as both have medical tourism industry, implying good medical facilities in certain locations. As mentioned earlier residency requirements vary for each country, in most situations if you are retiring there it is not too difficult to own property.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Belize is worth looking at.

Why not Puerto Rico?

One thing to consider is that most of these are going to be tropical climates, while CA is Mediterranean.
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

of the countries I have visited Thailand would be at the top of my list. beautiful beaches, great food, nice people, weather is good, doctors seem to be good, relatively inexpensive...hard to beat unless you want to be closer to the US, in that case probably Mexico or Central America. I have spent some time in Costa Rica and visited Roatan, Honduras to scuba dive. In my opinion, Costa Rica is not nearly as nice as Thailand but much better than Honduras. Panama should be ok from what I have read/heard.

Have you travelled outside of the US often? If not, you might not like it as much as you think you will...I have and love it and hope to spend significant time outside the US in a few years, but it is not for everyone.
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

asset_chaos wrote:I think you'll have to narrow down what part of the world you're interested in before you can get concrete advice. I moved to Australia, though not to the tropical part, for work a number of years ago, and Oz has everything on your list; although, cheap may be debatable now. My residency visa was sponsored by work, so that was easy. Subsequently I have bought a house. As an offical resident in any country, I believe one is usually able to own property. In general, how easy it is to get a residency visa for retirement will depend on the country.

with ss income $1500 and Vg portfolis,and retiremnt income total $3500 per monthes so can i make it live off in the other country may be in phlipine or tailand or
deikel

Post by deikel »

I would strongly recommend to first visit the area of interest and later decide to jump all the way. Try longer term rentals of smaller apartments in the area first and see if you like it - everything else is just too risky since you seem to have no firsthand experience (?) and just a vague idea of retiring cheap, warm and nice...
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

It'd be much easier if Medicare covered you overseas....
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
market timer

Post by market timer »

looking wrote:with ss income $1500 and Vg portfolis,and retiremnt income total $3500 per monthes so can i make it live off in the other country may be in phlipine or tailand or
You can afford to live in luxury in the Philippines or Thailand on $5K/month as a single person: serviced apartment in a prime location, dining out every meal, plenty of money for travel and entertainment. In fact, I think you could afford a very nice life on just $2K/month if you don't travel. However, you are taking a big roll of the dice with health care, as you likely would not have any insurance. If you are likely to require expensive medical care, I think remaining in the US is your best option, especially if you are eligible for Medicare. Someone above mentioned the Gulf Coast, which I agree is a very inexpensive place to retire, and a good choice if you want white sand beaches.