Mega bus vacation with toddlers.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anonforthis

Mega bus vacation with toddlers.

Post by anonforthis »

The trip is about 960 miles and mega bus website says it will take 21 hours. It costs way less than driving a car. We took many greyhound bus vacations but before kids. Those trips were fun. This will be our first time taking mega bus ( it's a lot cheaper than greyhound). Do you recommend taking mega bus? Thank you.
bungalow10

Re: Mega bus vacation with toddlers.

Post by bungalow10 »

How many toddlers? Two? Ages?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Topic Author
anonforthis

Post by anonforthis »

[quote="bungalow10"]How many toddlers? Two? Ages?[/quote

2 toddlers 1.5 and 3 year old. Thank you.
rob

Post by rob »

I have used Megabus a bit but not on those lengths - they are fine (mostly wifi which helps a lot) but not a lot of space and certainly less comfortable seats than a car. However with kids that age I just would not do it vs. driving regardless.... just too much lost flexibility for me.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

How much cheaper are we talking here? at 20mpg for 960 each way and $3.50 gas your talking $~340 in gas.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

21 hours, eh? 1.5 and 3 years old? Dear God, have pity on the rest of the folks on the bus and pay more to drive yourselves.
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

Atilla wrote:21 hours, eh? 1.5 and 3 years old? Dear God, have pity on the rest of the folks on the bus and pay more to drive yourselves.
Yep.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

I do not look forward to 2hr drives with my 14 month old. I can't imagine being on a bus that long with a toddler. Bad idea, very bad idea.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Andyrunner wrote:I do not look forward to 2hr drives with my 14 month old. I can't imagine being on a bus that long with a toddler. Bad idea, very bad idea.
Yes! To clarify: bad for you, very bad for others on the bus.

This is something you'd do if you had no other choice/mode of transportation, and definately not as vacation.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

HA!

Assuming this is a joke, this is hilarious.

I can just imagine being one of the other passengers on that bus.

If you're being serious, I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't do this. At least wait a few years until they're older.

I was on a mega bus this summer. Not bad, but certainly not very spacious.
Topic Author
anonforthis

Post by anonforthis »

Atilla wrote:21 hours, eh? 1.5 and 3 years old? Dear God, have pity on the rest of the folks on the bus and pay more to drive yourselves.

Lol. I thought that since we are not driving. We will be available to entertain them. Maybe this is a bad idea. We have a brand new mini van and we do not want to drive around NYC with it.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

anonforthis wrote:

Lol. I thought that since we are not driving. We will be available to entertain them. Maybe this is a bad idea. We have a brand new mini van and we do not want to drive around NYC with it.
Then drive your minivan to NYC, park it, and commute around the city just as you would have had you taken the bus to get there.
ciscovp

Post by ciscovp »

Yes. Drive to NYC or even to NJ and catch the train into NYC.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

anonforthis wrote:

LOL - I'd give it a shot. After the 2nd hour you can probably take up a collection from others on the bus and stop at the nearest rental car agency with the collection money!
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Oh, what the hell? Take Greyhound. I hear great things about the extended stop in Buffalo at 2:30 am.

Meanwhile, seems you might be a contender for this thread:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=129477
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

anonforthis wrote:

Are you nuts? These buses stop very infrequently for breaks. From a practical standpoint, have you considered trying to help your toddler use bathroom facilities the size of an airline restroom while going 65 mph? I guarantee they don't have diaper changing facilities. And there may only be one toilet on board - what if your kid really needs to go and its occupied? I wouldn't take kids at those ages on a 4-hr bus ride much less a 21-hr ride.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

Sounds like a nightmare...for everyone around you.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

OP - it would be very inconsiderate of you to take your children on this bus ride.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cherijoh wrote:
anonforthis wrote:

Are you nuts? These buses stop very infrequently for breaks. From a practical standpoint, have you considered trying to help your toddler use bathroom facilities the size of an airline restroom while going 65 mph? I guarantee they don't have diaper changing facilities. And there may only be one toilet on board - what if your kid really needs to go and its occupied? I wouldn't take kids at those ages on a 4-hr bus ride much less a 21-hr ride.
Exactly my thoughts: "Are you nuts?"

IF you do this, bring LOTS and LOTS of cough syrup, to help them sleep.
"THEM", in this case, would be the other passengers :shock:

And as supersharpie pointed out, it would be very inconsiderate - to your children as well!

On long road trips with young children, we stopped frequently (as often as needed) for bathroom stops and what we called "road races".
These were at some nice grassy area, and involved adults throwing Frisbees as far as reasonable, and children racing off to collect them, and racing back to the adult.
Rinse and repeat. And again....

Then a sandwich or a snack, and the children slept for the next couple of hours :happy
Adults had a peaceful drive then.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ResearchMed wrote:
cherijoh wrote:
anonforthis wrote:

And as supersharpie pointed out, it would be very inconsiderate - to your children as well!

On long road trips with young children, we stopped frequently (as often as needed) for bathroom stops and what we called "road races".
These were at some nice grassy area, and involved adults throwing Frisbees as far as reasonable, and children racing off to collect them, and racing back to the adult.

Then a sandwich or a snack, and the children slept for the next couple of hours :happy

RM
You are correct, making a 3-yr sit still that long is cruel and unusual punishment. While the bus is moving, everyone must be sitting down in their seats. What if the little one gets cranky and starts crying? You will not be able to get up and walk around with kid to sooth him/her.

I love the road race idea! Most little kids seem to have only 2 speeds - 100% energy or zonked out. It's like the strategy to tire out a puppy :wink:
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cherijoh wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
cherijoh wrote:
anonforthis wrote:

RM
You are correct, making a 3-yr sit still that long is cruel and unusual punishment. While the bus is moving, everyone must be sitting down in their seats. What if the little one gets cranky and starts crying? You will not be able to get up and walk around with kid to sooth him/her.

I love the road race idea! Most little kids seem to have only 2 speeds - 100% energy or zonked out. It's like the strategy to tire out a puppy :wink:
It's not "like the strategy to tire out a puppy".

It *IS* the strategy to tire out a pup!

:D

And it really, really worked, on short trips, or 3 weeks driving around France.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

In a passenger bus with two toddlers? 21 hours?

Sounds like the trip from hell - for you, your kids, and the people around you.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I agree with most of the posts here. If Megabus is anything close to Greyhound in terms of the types of customers, I would be worried about my safety. Especially at 2:30am in Buffalo -like someone mentioned.

[disturbing content removed by admin alex]

Cosmo
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

I remember riding an intercity bus, when I was 4 or 5, in an overnight trip, and being thirsty.

MegaBus fills a need. Kid friendly vacation is not one of them.

If you have to, consider breaking the trip (21 hours is just too long), bring plenty of water, a safe mild sedative that you have tried before, and buy enough seats to be comfortable. Take turns with your spouse to sleep, to keep your kids and valuables safe.

To follow barnaclebob, but renting a 30 mpg car, ((960x2) / 30) * 3.5 = $224 in gas.
With a 28 mpg car, ((960x2) / 28) * 3.5 = $240
MSchleicher

Post by MSchleicher »

As a young adult, I would do anything possible to avoid a 21 hour bus trip.

Do not put a young child through this trip.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

How about an alternate suggestion:

instead of a nearly 1000 mile trip, I would find something much closer to home for children that
age, and use your minivan. We limited trips to 6 hours driving time max (with breaks every 2 hours)
until the youngest was 5 years old. Our first long vacation was about 16 hours, but was spread out
over 3 days, with stops at the Black Hills & Devil's Tower on the way to Yellowstone.

We took longer trips as the boys got older, but always in a large sedan or minivan.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I was on an Amtrak train for two and a half hours yesterday. There was one toddler in our car of the train. She screamed for virtually the whole time. It was really torture. (The train was packed, so none of us had the option to move to another car of the train.) Her mother tried to entertain her but to no avail. She did a bit of toddling (unsteadily) on the moving train, occasionally falling to the filthy floor of the train.

Two toddlers, for 21 hours, in a space even more cramped than an Amtrak train! What a miserable experience for all concerned.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I'm locking this, there is nothing left to be said about the OP's original question. However, the OP is welcome to start a new thread if he or she wants feedback on an alternate plan.