Smartphone questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Riversider

Re: Smartphone questions

Post by Riversider »

I'd like to thank everybody for taking the time to respond and provide input. There is a WEALTH of info that has been contributed and I truly appreciate it. This will help me make a decision and probably a better one than if I hadn't asked the Bogleheads. I will probably read all the posts at least three more times to digest every detail. All best, -- Riversider :sharebeer
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

For me, the best smartphone on the market right now is the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

It all comes down to what you value. I don't really have an interest in the giant screens, so the 4.7" display is perfect for me.

I don't need the ridiculous battery-sucking 1080p displays (or higher) on a 4.7" screen, so the 720p is perfect.

I also LOVE the reported 2-day battery life on this camera.

I'm switching from a Nexus 5 to the Xperia Z3 compact right now.

The Nexus 5 is a great phone, but the battery life is horrible.
Toons

Post by Toons »

FYI :
Straight Talk

"After 3 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is redeemed at the end of the 30 day plan cycle." :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

thenextguy wrote:For me, the best smartphone on the market right now is the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

It all comes down to what you value. I don't really have an interest in the giant screens, so the 4.7" display is perfect for me.

I don't need the ridiculous battery-sucking 1080p displays (or higher) on a 4.7" screen, so the 720p is perfect.

Agree. They coulda made it 0.1 inch thicker and doubled the battery.
I bought a separate battery pack for demanding situations...
Attempted new signature...
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I am of the mindset that if you have to ask the iPhone is for you. The wife and I have Nexus 4 and will until they stop upgrading the Android OS on them.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

bungalow10 wrote:Interesting. I don't know a single person who has switched from Android to Iphone, but I know the other way around. My office used to be about 100% Iphone because our IT only supported integrating our email on IPhone.
What is your sample size? You have to be more specific as to what model they're switching from and to. Folks have been switching to newer android models that cost less, but are competitive with older iPhones, or wanted bigger screens or both. Those with 2011/12 iPhones found lots of android models to choose from rather than incremental improvements in newer more expensive iPhones.

With bigger screen iPhones, there's going to be a reversal. Samsung has been doing well these last few years, but now it's being squeezed by Apple and other high end android models at the top and less expensive android and window phones at the bottom.

You're spending a lot on the data plan, so don't be cheap about the phone you buy. Saving a hundred or two on a two year expense of over $1000 is penny wise pound foolish.
jane1

Post by jane1 »

For a first smartphone, I would recommend going with an entry-level ($100-$150) previous generation model new or refurbished android. Preferably stock android - Nexus, Moto.
Don't go for one of the 2-year contract fancy ones.
Play with it for a year or 2, see what you use often (text, maps, calendar, voice controls, which apps, etc...), what features you like or dislike and then decide after a couple of years what you want from your device.
I have had android and iPhone as well as android tablet and iPad but prefer the apple user-experience. Although I learnt over time with various iOS devices that it is okay to upgrade the iOS after 1 year, but don't do the OS upgrade after 2 years! Things get incredibly slow.
kramer

Post by kramer »

thenextguy wrote:For me, the best smartphone on the market right now is the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Agreed! One thing I personally value that seems to not be important to many people is light weight, although even this phone (Sony Xperia Z3 compact) is a bit heavier than I would like but it is within my range (129 grams, 4.55 oz). I just don't want a brick in my pocket. For comparison, the Nexus 6 is a whopping 184 grams and the more reasonably weighted Samsung Galaxy s5 is 145 grams (5.11 oz).

And I already have a tablet for use at home for phablet/tablet type stuff. Also, for here in the Philippines, this phone being certified water resistant is important to me.
magellan

Post by magellan »

inbox788 wrote:You're spending a lot on the data plan, so don't be cheap about the phone you buy. Saving a hundred or two on a two year expense of over $1000 is penny wise pound foolish.
The total cost of the transaction isn't really relevant. $100-$200 is real money and requiring any product to 'earn' its premium is just being a smart consumer.

With today's lineup of devices, the vast majority of users will derive very little additional value or enjoyment from a phone costing more than around $200. If you up the limit to around $350-$400, it's very tough for premium products to earn their premium, except perhaps among the most status conscious users and the gadget geeks.

So sure, staying up to date with a new flagship phone can make sense for some people, but for most the foolish choice is to drop $500-600 on a phone they can't afford.

Jim
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

inbox788 wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:You're spending a lot on the data plan, so don't be cheap about the phone you buy. Saving a hundred or two on a two year expense of over $1000 is penny wise pound foolish.
My 2 year plan expenses for my 2 smartphones is going to be ~$600. Saving $200 would be a large percentage of my total phone expenditures (~15%). Even with a $1000 2-year plan, saving $200 would be over 10% and is not insignificant. We aren't talking about a 1% difference in total price here.

But most people aren't saying to cheap out on a phone. Almost all of the phones recommended by name are quality phones that work well. It is hard to justify spending $650-850 on a phone when a $350 phone is either on par or superior to them and a used $100 phone is only a tiny bit slower and slightly lower resolution.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

magellan wrote:
inbox788 wrote:You're spending a lot on the data plan, so don't be cheap about the phone you buy. Saving a hundred or two on a two year expense of over $1000 is penny wise pound foolish.
The total cost of the transaction isn't really relevant. $100-$200 is real money and requiring any product to 'earn' its premium is just being a smart consumer.

With today's lineup of devices, the vast majority of users will derive very little additional value or enjoyment from a phone costing more than around $200. If you up the limit to around $350-$400, it's very tough for premium products to earn their premium, except perhaps among the most status conscious users and the gadget geeks.

So sure, staying up to date with a new flagship phone can make sense for some people, but for most the foolish choice is to drop $500-600 on a phone they can't afford.

Jim
Are you talking about subsidized or subsidized prices?
nordlead wrote:
inbox788 wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:You're spending a lot on the data plan, so don't be cheap about the phone you buy. Saving a hundred or two on a two year expense of over $1000 is penny wise pound foolish.
My 2 year plan expenses for my 2 smartphones is going to be ~$600. Saving $200 would be a large percentage of my total phone expenditures (~15%). Even with a $1000 2-year plan, saving $200 would be over 10% and is not insignificant. We aren't talking about a 1% difference in total price here.

But most people aren't saying to cheap out on a phone. Almost all of the phones recommended by name are quality phones that work well. It is hard to justify spending $650-850 on a phone when a $350 phone is either on par or superior to them and a used $100 phone is only a tiny bit slower and slightly lower resolution.
What plan is $12.50/month/line? Prepaid? How much data? 3G or LTE? If you're on a budget, it's a wise choice to go with less expensive option. I'm not disagreeing with this option.

I'm saying look at the bigger picture, especially folks who sign up for a "free" phone vs. $200 iPhone or Samsung and sign a 2 year contract that often commits them to more than $1000 in services charges. I'm also saying one or two hundred (10-20% total cost ($40+/mo plan), maybe less if service costs more), not $850-350=$500 or even $350-$100=$250, but let's consider this last one a little. Assume 50% depreciation over 2 years for both $350 phone vs $100 phone, so you could sell the newer phone for $175 and the older one for $50 at the end of 2 years. Your cost difference is $175-50=$125, or around $5/month. If the difference is "only a tiny bit slower and slightly lower resolution.", and you're paying $12/month service, then by all means, go with used. But if you're on a $40/month or more plan and it's a modest difference, the $5 extra a month may be worth upgrading to a new phone. And if the difference is greater, then an extra $5-10 more definitely something to consider. Also, chances are a $750 phone will depreciate less than 50% in 2 years, and you're probably getting a bigger subsidy on the contract than the free phone, making the difference less.

Many people that bought the $200 5S last year probably will paid less and get more than those who paid $100 for the 5C on same contract once they sell their phone. I expect same thing is happening with 6 plus vs 6. Those that paid $100 more for the higher end phone will likely get more than $100 more back at the end of the contract when they sell the phone.

On the android side, consider Moto G (3G) vs Moto X (LTE) with $200 price difference, the Moto X is IMO the better value. While it costs a bit more, the benefits outweigh the cost, and as the cost difference is reduced, it makes the upgrade more compelling.

BTW, if anyone has leads on LTE data plans that cost less than $20-25/month, please let me know. (already familiar with Freedompop beta)
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

I guess I should chime in with a plug for Ptel. I have only used $35 worth of minutes/txt/data in the span of 5 months, which comes out to $7 per month. This includes very good LTE coverage in my area.

It is their Real Paygo plan, which uses the T-Mobile network, so you need to make sure T-Mobile covers your area well. They charge 5 cents per minute, 2 cents per txt and 10 cents per megabyte of data.

This deal only works well if you do the following: easy to do on Android
- set the phone so that it only downloads and updates apps and operating system when connected to Wi-Fi. I think this is the default anyway.
- set any apps that automatically back up to the cloud, such as Google+, to only back up when connected to Wi-Fi. This is so that your photos do not use up data when you are not on Wi-Fi.
- generally only use your phone to call, text, and check email, and use chat programs. A little browsing the web is okay too. But if you want to watch YouTube, stream podcasts, etc., you will spend too much money on data.

The benefit of going with this plan really depends on how you intend to use your smart phone. For me, I actually do not like to use my phone too much when I am out... My biggest data use is Google Hangouts which uses very little data... and am totally fine doing more Internet intensive stuff like updating and backing up when I am at home and connected to Wi-Fi.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

oneleaf wrote:I guess I should chime in with a plug for Ptel. ...
It is their Real Paygo plan, which uses the T-Mobile network, so you need to make sure T-Mobile covers your area well. They charge 5 cents per minute, 2 cents per txt and 10 cents per megabyte of data.
Thanks! It might be the solution I was looking for with an old (unlocked?) Verizon iPhone 5 LTE. It compares to the Page Plus (Verizon) pay as you go plan that's only 3G. Looks like Ptel would cost a minimum of $60/year ($10 for 2 months service). Minutes expire after a year (don't expire in the annual plan) vs. Pageplus doesn't expire as long as you keep service. Also doesn't seem to have $0.50 monthly service fee. Data for both plans is expensive ($100/GB), but good enough for light use. Hopefully Ptel doesn't have any gotchas, like some company that was rounding up data charges "per session", and made data use prohibitively expensive (Lyca? Boost?).
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

inbox788 wrote:
oneleaf wrote:I guess I should chime in with a plug for Ptel. ...
Thanks! It might be the solution I was looking for with an old Verizon iPhone 5 LTE. It compares to the Page Plus (Verizon) pay as you go plan that's only 3G. Looks like Ptel would cost a minimum of $60/year ($10 for 2 months service). Minutes expire after a year (don't expire in the annual plan) vs. Pageplus doesn't expire as long as you keep service. Also doesn't seem to have $0.50 monthly service fee. Data for both plans is expensive ($100/GB), but good enough for light use. Hopefully Ptel doesn't have any gotchas, like some company that was rounding up data charges "per session", and made data use prohibitively expensive.

I actually track data on my Android phone and compare with Ptel balance on a weekly basis. There was actually a solid month where Ptel undercharged me by several megabytes... I was pleasantly surprised. I think there was a 5 day period where they had issues tracking data so they gave their customers free data during that period. All other periods have matched almost exactly. So no gotchas so far!

I do recommend testing it out for a couple weeks diligently. My Moto G makes it very easy to track data and I assume most android variations include some data tracking ability.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked Nexus 5 directly from google, thinking that will give me some kind of warranty and CS support and OS updates. vs. a One Plus one phone, same price better specs.

but, with One Plus 1 , I could limit permission access of apps, with privacy guard, with Nexus 5 , i believe to limit permissions, I'd have to root the phone, which I'd be concerned would void any warranty , etc.

anyone limiting permissions some other way on a Android phone?

this is the main thing that I don't like about smartphones, is the default, if for most apps, to have access, to all your private data for some reason, and track you etc........
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

thenextguy wrote:The Nexus 5 is a great phone, but the battery life is horrible.
Is that still the case? I don't have the phone, but I've read that the "poor when released" battery life has been significantly improved through subsequent software updates.

Kwan2, I've also been looking into the Oneplus One, but I have yet to score an invitation and am concerned with (among other things) reports that, if you have a problem with your phone, it may take weeks for the company to get back to you and, when/if they do, their response will be to instruct you to send your phone back to them in China at your own expense. The Nexus 5 is now back in stock at the Google Play store, so I'm thinking of abandoning my quest for a Oneplus One invite and just getting a Nexus 5.

Having said that, I share your interest in Privacy Guard, which for me is one of the main advantages of the Oneplus One.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

fedguy, on oneplusone , i received invites but , didn't want to decide in 24hours so they expired, but on monday for 1 hour you CAN pre-order a 1 plus 1
http://preorder.oneplus.net/

only for 1 hour , ha

i don't know about the nexus battery life, s'why was asking, i think your concern is like mine, it's a trade off, batterylife/specs/privacyguard vs. lollipop/CS/warranty etc think i'm choosing the nexus 5

then again walmart has a lollipop phone for $60.00 unlocked after 3 months of contract or so , i know it's got to have issues, but interesting what a range there is nowadays.

now i just need a $30/month data plan , and maybe i'll get rid of my voice cellphone..... and use magicjack app on wifi and 4G , maybe even a bit for work ......

FedGuy wrote:
thenextguy wrote:The Nexus 5 is a great phone, but the battery life is horrible.
Is that still the case? I don't have the phone, but I've read that the "poor when released" battery life has been significantly improved through subsequent software updates.

Kwan2, I've also been looking into the Oneplus One, but I have yet to score an invitation and am concerned with (among other things) reports that, if you have a problem with your phone, it may take weeks for the company to get back to you and, when/if they do, their response will be to instruct you to send your phone back to them in China at your own expense. The Nexus 5 is now back in stock at the Google Play store, so I'm thinking of abandoning my quest for a Oneplus One invite and just getting a Nexus 5.

Having said that, I share your interest in Privacy Guard, which for me is one of the main advantages of the Oneplus One.
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Thanks, Kwan2. I've been active on the Oneplus forums for the last week or so and am familiar with the pre-order situation. The system will only be open while I'm at work, and I won't be able to log in from work, so it doesn't do me much good. Besides, I'm convinced that the site will crash and be unusable during that hour (according to posts I read earlier today, it has already crashed from the demands of people logging in to create their accounts). And there are no guarantees about when the pre-ordered phones will ship: if they don't have the inventory to send you your phone until June, that's when they'll send you your phone.

This doesn't seem to be a particularly well-thought out distribution plan.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Go to the oneplus G+ page. People are giving away invites every so often. I got an invite for a friend there.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

FedGuy wrote:

/quote]

Well, I ordered the Black, Nexus 5, 32Gb version off Google Play last Fri night. The white and red versions, in 32 Gb were sold out. I was hoping to get a white one since it's easier to see when you misplace your phone. However, as you can read on the review below, that the white version has a different case which makes the phone slippery. The black version has a grippy back which helps you hold on to the phone.

See ars technica [/url]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/ ... the-price/[/url] for a good review on the Nexus 5 which includes comments on the battery life (poor compared to some bigger phones and the iPhone 5s depending on usage; or the battery will last all day if you don't use your phone much). Although I liked the small form factor and voice control features, I couldn't purchase the 1st gen Moto X from Motorola.com and I didn't trust the vendors on Amazon; thus, I ordered the Nexus 5. The 2nd Gen Moto X is too big and too expensive and I don't need a flagship phone. I'm sure that the performance will be light years ahead of my 4 year old iPhone 4 which i will be giving to my wife whose Samsung 2.3 Gingerbread entry level smartphone is about dead. We will be using Consumer cellular since neither of use streams video or music except through wifi. Sharing 1Gb of data and using their 200 minute plan should cost us only $45/month + taxes. Straight talk is costing us around $86/month (no taxes) since it is pre-paid whereas CC is post paid/no contract.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I should've also recommended the LG G2. It is the slightly superior phone to the Nexus 5. Thats what i am using now. Battery is 3100mah which is much bigger than N5.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

'cept says on az.com $500 new off contract verizon
harrychan wrote:I should've also recommended the LG G2. It is the slightly superior phone to the Nexus 5. Thats what i am using now. Battery is 3100mah which is much bigger than N5.
Zapped

Post by Zapped »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Well, I ordered the Black, Nexus 5, 32Gb version off Google Play last Fri night.
See ars technica ... for a good review on the Nexus 5 which includes comments on the battery life (poor compared to some bigger phones and the iPhone 5s depending on usage; or the battery will last all day if you don't use your phone much). Although I liked the small form factor and voice control features, I couldn't purchase the 1st gen Moto X from Motorola.com and I didn't trust the vendors on Amazon; thus, I ordered the Nexus 5. The 2nd Gen Moto X is too big and too expensive and I don't need a flagship phone.
I think you've made a decent choice, Hiker-Biker. I've owned the Nexus S, Nexus 4, and now use the Nexus 5 purchased last fall. I would agree with ars technica - the Nexus 5 battery life is reasonable for light daily use on a "normal" day, but I can tell you that I've had the phone completely run dry by mid-afternoon on vacation. Vacation usage includes camera for snapshots, web browsing for local travel information, Urbanspoon for restaurant reviews, getting public transit directions from Google Maps. But *not* navigation usage, which sucks the battery dry faster than you can say "sucks the battery dry".

My wife's 1st-generation (2013) Moto G is a superb phone with great battery life. On vacation I frequently use her phone rather than my own Nexus 5. On a medium-usage vacation day where my phone might be at 15-20% near the end of the day, my wife's Moto G will be at 60-70%. On a daily basis she can go a couple of days between charges, and she's a much heavier phone-internet user than I am in daily life.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Moto E, the $120 bottomfeeder in the world of pure vanilla Android phones. Great phone with excellent battery life, but I really disliked the choice they made to remove the rear LED (i.e. there's no flash) and include only a fixed-focus camera (i.e everything within about 5ft is blurry). Had to return it to Amazon.

Still seeking better battery life, I bought the $199 Moto G LTE (2014) next. You may not be aware that the Moto G LTE (2014) still uses the same 4.5" screen that the original Moto G (2013) used - it has *not* been upsized to 5" like the Moto G (2014). In addition to adding LTE, it's also a true universal-frequency GSM phone, unlike the old and new Moto G which have distinct US and Global versions. Sounds great, right? Unfortunately, after 3 days of use the phone functionality went haywire. Either the phone would REBOOT when receiving or making phone calls or the call would connect but there would be no sound. Whether or not a factory reset would have fixed the issue, or whether there was an application that was causing a conflict, or whether my particular phone's behavior was an anomaly, I wasn't willing to accept the risk. So it went back to Amazon like the Moto E did.

There's no perfect phone. The Nexus 5 is close, despite the battery life.
- Jim in Austin, TX
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Zapped wrote:
Still seeking better battery life, I bought the $199 Moto G LTE (2014) next. You may not be aware that the Moto G LTE (2014) still uses the same 4.5" screen that the original Moto G (2013) used - it has *not* been upsized to 5" like the Moto G (2014). In addition to adding LTE, it's also a true universal-frequency GSM phone, unlike the old and new Moto G which have distinct US and Global versions. Sounds great, right? Unfortunately, after 3 days of use the phone functionality went haywire. Either the phone would REBOOT when receiving or making phone calls or the call would connect but there would be no sound. Whether or not a factory reset would have fixed the issue, or whether there was an application that was causing a conflict, or whether my particular phone's behavior was an anomaly, I wasn't willing to accept the risk. So it went back to Amazon like the Moto E did.

There's no perfect phone. The Nexus 5 is close, despite the battery life.
I was looking at the Moto G LTE as well. Maybe my wife could use it. Her phone is dead since in trying to free up memory, we apparently deleted the Google Apy and it no longer connects with Verizon. I found something to reinstall it; however, I'll probably speed up the transition to Consumer Cellular once my Nexus arrives next week. Do you think the 8 Gb ROM is sufficient for the Moto G LTE? The ars technica review I read said Motorola should be coming out with a 16 Gb version. In the meantime, my wife will use my iPhone 4 on CC which is still working fine. Successive upgrades to IOS 7.2 have impacted its battery life as well. My iPhone 4 will usually be down to 50% at the end of day after using Waze twice for my commute. I usually plug it into the car charger while driving and the battery drain is just from very periodic e-mail checking during the day with most of the day spent in the lock screen.

@ HarryChan - I saw the LG G2 in the AT&T store the other night while I was looking for a Nexus 5 case. A co-worker has the LG G3 but it's a little too much phone for my needs. Although I could pay cash for a new iPhone 6, I balk at paying $749 for the 64 Gb version. Apple is just getting too expensive for me and I'm trying something else.
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

bungalow10 wrote:
Interesting. I don't know a single person who has switched from Android to Iphone, but I know the other way around. My office used to be about 100% Iphone because our IT only supported integrating our email on IPhone.
I did, I switched from Android to iPhone and wished I didn’t. There are some great things with both OS’s but what I ran into was viewing this forum on the iPhone 6 was way to small to read comfortably in “portrait mode” but it is fine in “landscape mode.” I just never had to do the landscape mode so I don’t really like that. Some people don’t mind scrolling back and forth with the pinch to zoom but I do. I don’t like doing that at all. This should hopefully change in the future with the new forum software update though (no guarantee but what I saw looked liked it would work out pretty good for my viewership).

The other issue I had with the new iPhone 6 is increased data usage. I had the lowest amount (250MB) with my carrier and for 2 years never went over because always on WiFi. With the 6 I’ve already been over with settings turned off for cellular data usage I had on with the Android phone with no change in the WiFi. Bad thing about this is, I can’t return the device because I didn’t know this until after the 14 day return policy.

Don’t get me wrong the iPhone is a really nice, high quality device but in my experience it does use more data than my 2 year old Android device did (which did have the 4G/LTE). Most people probably have a higher data plan than my wife and I do and probably don’t notice it. We’re trying to save where we can so this is frustrating.

As far as the OP’s original question, having a smartphone is a great tool to have. I use mine for work and personal. You can track so many things better, calendar appointments, emails, searching for stuff, GPS, if you travel – find locations like restaurants close by, etc. I know I couldn’t move back to a basic phone.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

bungalow10 wrote:Interesting. I don't know a single person who has switched from Android to Iphone, but I know the other way around. My office used to be about 100% Iphone because our IT only supported integrating our email on IPhone.
Over the years I have owned flip phones, a Blackberry, an android, an iPhone 5, and now an iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is the best phone I have ever used. Obviously, the iPhone 6 cost more than many of the androids, so if that is important get one of those. However, if you just want a phone that just works out of the box without a lot of tinkering, then get the iPhone 6. Go to an Apple store if there is one in your area and try one out and ask questions of one of the salespersons. Then you will be able to see if you want one.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

JMacDonald wrote:
Over the years I have owned flip phones, a Blackberry, an android, an iPhone 5, and now an iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is the best phone I have ever used. Obviously, the iPhone 6 cost more than many of the androids, so if that is important get one of those. However, if you just want a phone that just works out of the box without a lot of tinkering, then get the iPhone 6. Go to an Apple store if there is one in your area and try one out and ask questions of one of the salespersons. Then you will be able to see if you want one.
I'm curious, have you experienced any more data usage with the iPhone 6 or same as the 5? Thanks!
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

shep234 wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
I'm curious, have you experienced any more data usage with the iPhone 6 or same as the 5? Thanks!
Hi,
I read your comments about your issues with reading the Boglehead.org site and the data usage. I am a low user of data. When I had the iPhone 5, I only had 250 MB available and never used all of it. So far that is my experience with the iPhone 6. I really haven't had the phone that long to really determine if I am using much more data. I upped my data to 2 GB in anticipation that I would be using this phone more. But so far my old habits haven't changed I guess.

As far as reading this website on the iPhone, I tried holding it in portrait, and it was too small. But once I turned it to landscape and expanded it, it was fine. Just do it. It is really no big deal. BTW, I never read this website on my phone. That is for my iPad. Maybe that is where you are using so much data.
Best Wishes, | Joe
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

shep234 wrote:The other issue I had with the new iPhone 6 is increased data usage. I had the lowest amount (250MB) with my carrier and for 2 years never went over because always on WiFi. With the 6 I’ve already been over with settings turned off for cellular data usage I had on with the Android phone with no change in the WiFi.
Don’t get me wrong the iPhone is a really nice, high quality device but in my experience it does use more data than my 2 year old Android device did (which did have the 4G/LTE). Most people probably have a higher data plan than my wife and I do and probably don’t notice it. We’re trying to save where we can so this is frustrating.
My experience with iOS 7 is that it's surprisingly low data usage. The built-in control is very useful, allowing cellular data to be turned on/off as needed, and even when on, individual applications can be monitored and controlled. However, there appear to be some usage outside of this that may need to be reigned in, and I recently came across this helpful article.

http://tech.kateva.org/2014/07/iphone-c ... by-on.html

Specifically, Facebook autoplay video adds has been implicated in heavy data usage. Do you use Facebook? Also, see if Podcasts, iTunes/App store, or Background App Refresh might be unnecessarily consuming cellular data. And regularly check to see if new apps haven't started using cellular by default and need to be turned off. Hopefully, these data leaks will be plugged in future iOS revisions.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

iPhone user here. Works well with my Mac and Apple doesn't sell ads based off my email, usage, or other data mining that Google does.
magellan

Post by magellan »

cheesepep wrote:iPhone user here. Works well with my Mac and Apple doesn't sell ads based off my email, usage, or other data mining that Google does.
I'm not sure there's a clear winner between Apple and Google in terms of respecting users' privacy. Both offer a way to opt out of tracking, but both have made missteps too. Both companies have 'accidentally' reset opt-out preferences after updates. Also, most popular apps make you agree to hand over personal information as a condition for using the app.

Also, this may be moot depending on your wireless carrier. Researchers recently discovered that some carriers (Verizon, Sprint, maybe AT&T) rewrite your http traffic headers to insert a unique identifier into all your web traffic. This allows advertisers to easily track you, regardless of your phone's do-not-track settings.

Verizon’s ‘Perma-Cookie’ Is a Privacy-Killing Machine

You can test to see if an identifier is getting inserted into your web traffic by visiting this link: http://lessonslearned.org/sniff

Jim
Last edited by magellan on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zapped

Post by Zapped »

Hiker-Biker wrote:
Zapped wrote: Do you think the 8 Gb ROM is sufficient for the Moto G LTE? The ars technica review I read said Motorola should be coming out with a 16 Gb version
You or your wife should be fine with the 8GB version, because both the Moto G LTE (2014, 4.5" screen) and the new Moto G (2014, 5.0" screen) added a microSD slot which the original Moto G (2013, 4.5" screen) lacked. So I bought a 32GB microSD card at the same time as I bought the Moto E and re-used it when I evaluated the Moto G LTE. Music, photos, and short phone-captured video are space hogs, but all of that can live on the microSD card. So can many applications, especially games, although you always install apps to built-in memory first and then manually move them to microSD later.

You reminded me of another reason why the Moto E was unacceptable - it only had 4GB of built-in memory. Even with a hefty 32GB microSD card for expansion, there are still some applications cannot be moved from "internal" (built-in) to "external" (microSD expansion) memory. I was running out of room to install the basic apps I wanted to keep on the Moto E. The 8GB which the Moto G LTE provided was more than enough, although I did manually move over all the apps that would permit it to external memory.
- Jim in Austin, TX
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

inbox788 wrote:
My experience with iOS 7 is that it's surprisingly low data usage. The built-in control is very useful, allowing cellular data to be turned on/off as needed, and even when on, individual applications can be monitored and controlled. However, there appear to be some usage outside of this that may need to be reigned in, and I recently came across this helpful article.

Specifically, Facebook autoplay video adds has been implicated in heavy data usage. Do you use Facebook? Also, see if Podcasts, iTunes/App store, or Background App Refresh might be unnecessarily consuming cellular data. And regularly check to see if new apps haven't started using cellular by default and need to be turned off. Hopefully, these data leaks will be plugged in future iOS revisions.
Thanks for the link but I have just about everything turned off for cellular data usage, even talked to Verizon tech support on the issue. I don't like the idea of having to go into the settings to turn off cellular data then back on when I want it, never had to do anything like that before. I don't use Facebook or Podcasts. Mostly just emails and browsing.

What I am starting to think is when the phone goes to sleep it switches to cellular until waking it then back to WiFi. Don't know that for sure yet but hopefully like you said any future iOS updates will resolve it but it may just be the way it is with an iPhone and iOS8. Also note that I may be a little more sensitive to data usage because we're only on a 250MB plan and I'm sure most people have more than that and don't notice it.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

shep234 wrote:
inbox788 wrote:

Thanks for the link but I have just about everything turned off for cellular data usage, even talked to Verizon tech support on the issue. I don't like the idea of having to go into the settings to turn off cellular data then back on when I want it, never had to do anything like that before. I don't use Facebook or Podcasts. Mostly just emails and browsing.
hmm, that is puzzling to me. I have a GMS iPhone 4 (on iOS 7.2) on Straight Talk that I turned off all the apps' cellular data access that I do not use routinely. Since I am planning to switch to Consumer Cellular and share 1 Gb data with my spouse, I started monitoring my data usage for a 2 month period. I only use data for Waze (long commute) and for checking occasional news on the web, maps, and for e-mail. My total data usage was < 500 Mb. I can't speak to Verizon iPhones; however, I left VZ wireless in 2006 and never plan to go back to a post paid major carrier. They are not worth the money you pay if you spend the time to learn how to bring your own phone to one of the MVNOs.

YMMV,

HB
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Zapped wrote: You reminded me of another reason why the Moto E was unacceptable - it only had 4GB of built-in memory. Even with a hefty 32GB microSD card for expansion, there are still some applications cannot be moved from "internal" (built-in) to "external" (microSD expansion) memory. I was running out of room to install the basic apps I wanted to keep on the Moto E. The 8GB which the Moto G LTE provided was more than enough, although I did manually move over all the apps that would permit it to external memory.
I reread one your previous posts and it concerns me about the build quality of the Moto G LTE. Maybe that was a fluke. Speaking of inadequate specs, my spouse's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, an entry level smartphone, only has 500 Mb Ram and 1 Gb of ROM storage. Yes, one can move most apps to the SD card since the phone's on Android 2.3 Gingerbread and I hear that feature was changed after versions 3.0 and above. Still, I find 60-70% of the RAM is occupied running the apps and the phone crashes frequently. My Nexus 5 arrives today, yay! I'll test it on my Straight Talk SIM for the remaining days I paid for and then the iPhone 4, 32 Gb goes to DW. DW will appreciate it since yesterday she called me from her BB and asked me to give her the transit info that she was used to getting from her smartphone. Just 1 1/2 years ago, she thought she never had a need to a computer in your pocket. :)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Hiker-Biker wrote:
shep234 wrote:
inbox788 wrote:

hmm, that is puzzling to me. I have a GMS iPhone 4 (on iOS 7.2) on Straight Talk that I turned off all the apps' cellular data access that I do not use routinely. Since I am planning to switch to Consumer Cellular and share 1 Gb data with my spouse, I started monitoring my data usage for a 2 month period. I only use data for Waze (long commute) and for checking occasional news on the web, maps, and for e-mail. My total data usage was < 500 Mb. I can't speak to Verizon iPhones; however, I left VZ wireless in 2006 and never plan to go back to a post paid major carrier. They are not worth the money you pay if you spend the time to learn how to bring your own phone to one of the MVNOs.

YMMV,

HB
Why Consumer Cellular? I've look at their offerings and they didn't look very appealing. It's not prepaid, but postpaid, and I think if you go over data or minutes, say from a rogue app, they bill you for any overage. And their overage charges are very high! I suggest you consider alternatives.

As far as data usage with iPhone 4s on light plans, here's some data. YMMV.

On pageplus (Verizon) $12/month plan with 10MB/month data, $0.10/MB overage, mainly used for light email and facebook averaged about $2 a month, so about 30MB. And this was with iOS 6 before ability to selective turn off cell data usage.

With Tracfone (Verizon) 1200MB/year plan, in 6 months usage, about 200MB (Tracfone charged about 250MB). Major uses Maps 20MB (about 5 trips). Texting apps 5MB. Podcasts 5MB. Starbucks card 5MB. Safari 30MB. VOIP 20MB. System services 130MB. Again, light usage.

Freedompop (Sprint) 500mb/month plan never goes over. Total usage in last 3-6 months is 1.6GB. About 100GB VOIP. 250MB Instagram. Texting apps 25MB. Music 50MB. Safari 500MB. System services 100MB. Uninstalled apps 300MB (assume this is app usage and not just downloading app from app store). Just noticed youtube isn't separated out, so I assume the light-moderate youtube usage is lumped into Safari.

These are all lightly used phones, so your experience with daily use will likely consume more. My usage pattern is haphazard, with little to no regular usage, but occasional spikes of high usage, so hard to find a good plan that works. Considered Republic, but not sold on VOIP yet. Sound quality just hasn't been good or reliable. Also, would like newer iPhone or Android on LTE, but prepaid pickings are slim.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Why Consumer Cellular? I've look at their offerings and they didn't look very appealing. It's not prepaid, but postpaid, and I think if you go over data or minutes, say from a rogue app, they bill you for any overage. And their overage charges are very high! I suggest you consider alternatives.

Overage charges for web are 25 cents per megabyte, which is higher than I'd like to pay. However, you're overlooking the fact that you can change your data plan at will as often as you want and then change back at the beginning of the next month. For example, let's say you upgraded from 300 Mb for $10 to 1 Gb for $20. Your charge for the additional 700 Mb that month would be just about 1.4 cents per megabyte. CC sends alerts to your email and to your smartphone if you are going to exceed your plan, so it's highly unlikely you would ever incur overage charges unless you are completely out to lunch.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

The cheapest one that will get you access to 4LTE.
A pretty basic smart phone is a miracle device and the differences between the best ones are most relevant if you use a Mac computer or and all about Google. The trailing edge with 4LTE will last a couple years just fine.

FWIW, I am an Apple guy- several macs, iPad, iPhones in family. My iPhone 4 is just going out of contract and will be going to PagePlus. I was a late adapter to cell phones and went right to a smart phone. It has become another thing that keeps me from being fully present and I am ready to downscale and reduce usage. My clients have come to expect to reach me by cell, we travel for fun frequently and I need to check it, otherwise I would be back to my landline.

Having said that, I would reiterate that they are magnificent devices. Unimaginable a generation ago.
Riversider wrote:Samsung S4/S5 vs. Samsung Note3/4 vs. Apple iphones vs. Motos vs. anything else? Which smartphone(s) do Bogleheads generally prefer? Does it trend any which way? Does it matter? Ready to dump cheap ATT basic phone and wade into the world of "smart"; I've read everything there is on the Web and seeking additional input if any. Thanks for any thoughts/observations. Perhaps those who have had both (Apple AND Android) might have helpful advice? Also curious if anybody has just bought "too much phone" and would do it differently, and why? -- Riversider
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

inbox788 wrote:

These are all lightly used phones, so your experience with daily use will likely consume more. My usage pattern is haphazard, with little to no regular usage, but occasional spikes of high usage, so hard to find a good plan that works. Considered Republic, but not sold on VOIP yet. Sound quality just hasn't been good or reliable. Also, would like newer iPhone or Android on LTE, but prepaid pickings are slim.
Well, I've activated my new Nexus 5 using my current ST Sim card and its working fine. Unfortunately, I haven't used any 4G LTE data since I'm using wifi (haven't left house) so I can't speak to how much data will be used. Will see on the weekend.

Re: VOIP for calls - I have used VOIP for over 6 years after ditching a verizon alternative which cost ~ $18/mo of which, half was taxes and fees. My Canadian based VOIP provider does not charge taxes and is a pre-paid provider. All they charge is $0.99/mo for your phone # (DID #) and calls are about 1 cent/min with calls to toll free numbers free. I pay $0.008 for each caller ID lookup. I do not even have e911 activated since my phone is with me 24/7. The only reason I have a cordless phone system in the house is for work conference calls, the battery life of an analog phone system is superior to a cell phone's.

I have used my VOIP account in emergencies where I forgot to notify my debit card provider (a credit union) that we were traveling. Of course, when I attempted to withdraw money from an ATM, I was locked out of my account. A int'l VOIP call that traveled from a country in Africa through the VOIP provider's London server to the U.S. using a very poor internet connection was able to connect with my credit union to release my funds. All this I accomplished from my iPhone 4 using a VOIP app and a friend's wifi connection.

Therefore, I highly recommend an unbranded pre-paid VOIP (also used with a non-branded VOIP app) as a replacement for Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS). It does require some degree of tech knowledge to adapt it to a analog phone system; however, it is not difficult if one can read and follow directions. If you use a "soft phone," e.g. a cell phone, it is very easy.

HB
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Hiker-Biker wrote:Re: VOIP for calls - I have used VOIP for over 6 years after ditching a verizon alternative...
Is this VOIP over cell? 3G or LTE? How is the voice quality generally?

A point of clarification. I'm not sold on VOIP over cell networks, not land-based high speed internet . We're talking smartphones here, so I thought that was understood.

My understanding is that with Republic Wireless and FreedomPop, all you get is data. No real cell voice calls or text. All calls and text go through their app as data. Since data performance is variable, some folks may get excellent data and find voice over data to be good. My limited experience has been less than desirable. VOIP over Wifi works better, but there are still glitches.

Looks like the proper terminology is mVOIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_VoIP
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

inbox788 wrote:
Hiker-Biker wrote:Re: VOIP for calls - I have used VOIP for over 6 years after ditching a verizon alternative...
Is this VOIP over cell? 3G or LTE? How is the voice quality generally?

A point of clarification. I'm not sold on VOIP over cell networks, not land-based high speed internet . We're talking smartphones here, so I thought that was understood.

My understanding is that with Republic Wireless and FreedomPop, all you get is data. No real cell voice calls or text. All calls and text go through their app as data. Since data performance is variable, some folks may get excellent data and find voice over data to be good. My limited experience has been less than desirable. VOIP over Wifi works better, but there are still glitches.
Hiker-Biker wrote:I would agree with that especially if cell coverage is spotty outside big cities/major arteries. That's what I'm debating; my new Nexus 5 has 4G LTE capabilities, I wonder whether I can get rid of the voice plan on Consumer Cellular and still share data with my wife.
Looks like the proper terminology is mVOIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_VoIP
No, I primarily use VOIP.MS over wifi and occasionally over 3G which is the best my iPhone 4 could do with Straight Talk. My DW has most of her family overseas and she has used my phone in the car to Skype or VIOP them first so they can move over to a computer to Skype. So for the limited experience we've had using VOIP + Skype while traveling in the car, it works fine. I have had the same problems most others have when out in the country away from the roads and have no service what so ever.

I won't use Republic Wireless for several reasons: 1. the phones are locked to Sprint? which a CDMA carrier 2. I turn off my wifi router at night so getting RW without 3g will not work in emergencies. and 3. I can afford to pay for better service.

When we travel, we just purchase a throw away SIM card and use our phones there...mostly for text/voice and use wifi for data. I don't really care what's going on in the U.S. when I'm overseas unless there's some emergency and the local tv stations still carry U.S. news stories so that isn't a real concern.

HB
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

Hiker-Biker wrote:

YMMV,

HB
HB,

I'm with you in it's not worth the money for the major carriers but it is worth having coverage when you need it. I researched changing to an MVNO but what kept me from doing so were reviews of poor coverage. I travel a lot and need reliable coverage. I would love to lower my monthly cell bill but worry about having the coverage. I use my cell phone for work so it is a must. If I was retired and traveled occasionally I would jump in a heart beat. It would be interesting to hear your's and other people's opinions that travel a lot (if you do that) about coverage on an MVNO vs a major carrier even though they're supposed to use the same carriers towers.

I did the same and turned off cellular data access for what I don't routinely use but I found out something interesting the other night. I looked at my cellular data usage (which was reset about a week or so ago for testing) during the World Series game a couple nights ago and it was at 47MB. I set my phone down on the table and about 30 minutes later I picked it up to text a friend and when I woke it I saw LTE at the top of the screen then it immediately switched to WiFi. I went to settings and checked the cellular data usage and it was at 47.1MB, it used 0.1MB of cellular data while laying on my table asleep while it should be connected to WiFi using no data. I know that is not a lot of data but when it is 6' away from my wireless router it shouldn't use any cellular data.

So from what I can tell, when my iPhone 6 is sleeping it turns off your WiFi radios and uses cellular data (might be an intermittent issue as I have not seen the LTE at the top of screen when waking every time nor have I looked). Most people probably have a higher data plan than 250 MB (which carriers recommend 2GB or higher for a couple of 2) which those that have that, probably don't even notice or care - you should though, it's using your data allowance. If you're on WiFi, you shouldn't use any cellular data while on wifi, sleeping or not.

It doesn't matter to me anymore. I sold the 6 and went back to Android where I can limit cellular data usage and save money (Verizon did credit me my overages on the iPhone) . For me, and with a cell phone, I'm much happier now. And just so everyone knows, I am not against the iPhone (little disappointed though [mostly with the data usage issue] and if Apple sees it as an issue you can be assured it will be fixed, which it should). I have an iPad and a Macbook Pro which I'm using to type this. The iPhone definitely has some nice features. When people say "it just works" that is true of Apple products.

It's all what you're used to (and willing to deal with...) and prefer!

YMMV
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

This should be a poll..How are you going to compile so much of information! Smartphone and brand is something that everyone is so passionate about
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

ejvyas wrote:This should be a poll..How are you going to compile so much of information! Smartphone and brand is something that everyone is so passionate about
I wouldn't compile anything...

Smartphones now days do the same things in just a different way. Most are only passionate when it hits their pocketbook so to speak (count me in that camp) or are in the fan camp (I think the term is fanboys/girls). You have people on each side of the fence when it comes to iOS, Android or Windows. Each OS's have their plusses and minuses. It's a battle that will never be won. Poll or not, won't accomplish much... IMO

I mean no disrespect to your opinion on the poll suggestion. Google search iOS vs Android. People get really weird when you start talking about their brand of phones and how much better one is over another.

It really boils down to whatever you're using the smartphone for and what it does to help you do what it is intended for, whatever OS you choose...
g$$

Post by g$$ »

I've got a OnePlus One. So far i'm very happy with it. Especially for the price.
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

g$$ wrote:I've got a OnePlus One. So far i'm very happy with it. Especially for the price.
Why do you have to rub it in on the price? :D

At least I have a stylus I can write with on mine...
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

shep234 wrote:
g$$ wrote:I've got a OnePlus One. So far i'm very happy with it. Especially for the price.

Waiting for expensive writing tool comment... :happy
g$$

Post by g$$ »

shep234 wrote:
shep234 wrote:

That's an expensive writing tool :P
Tc99

Post by Tc99 »

g$$ wrote:
shep234 wrote:
shep234 wrote:

That's an expensive writing tool :P
Thanks for the quick response but it's a very nice writing tool, works great for my purposes!! :sharebeer
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I've been spending a lot of time on the OnePlus forums since the Nexus 6 price was announced. It's weird to see someone post that they have the One without seeing it followed by three dozen posts begging for an invite.

Have you had any problems with it? There've been a lot of reports on the OnePlus forum about various problems people have had with their phone, which have generally been compounded by virtually non-existent customer service from OnePlus. It's almost enough to scare me off of the phone, but since it looks like I'll never get an invite and won't be able to participate in their oddly-scheduled pre-order windows, it might not matter all that much.