Smartphone plans and MMS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
charley

Smartphone plans and MMS

Post by charley »

We're thinking of buying a smartphone to use with an MNVO. We currently use Pageplus with old phones, so I'm familiar and comfortable with the pay-as-you-go system. My wife is happy with her old phone, but it would be nice for her to have a camera for capturing photos. She uses our tablet to take quick photos of our daughter all the time, and enjoys the ability to quickly take and share photos. I think a smartphone would be a more portable means of doing this, and it seems that by turning off mobile data, one can cheaply use a smartphone.

We're confused about MMS though. If you turn off data, can you still send and receive MMS? Is there a wifi alternative, like google hangouts, that works only when in wifi range? She doesn't want or need mobile data, but would like the ability to send and receive picture messages. We're leaning toward the iPhone (an older model) because we are familiar with iOS, but we're also open to other user-friendly devices.

Does anyone else else use a smartphone in this manner, and if so, what are good low-data plan options?
Browser

Re: Smartphone plans and MMS

Post by Browser »

charley wrote:We're thinking of buying a smartphone to use with an MNVO. We currently use Pageplus with old phones, so I'm familiar and comfortable with the pay-as-you-go system. My wife is happy with her old phone, but it would be nice for her to have a camera for capturing photos. She uses our tablet to take quick photos of our daughter all the time, and enjoys the ability to quickly take and share photos. I think a smartphone would be a more portable means of doing this, and it seems that by turning off mobile data, one can cheaply use a smartphone.

We're confused about MMS though. If you turn off data, can you still send and receive MMS? Is there a wifi alternative, like google hangouts, that works only when in wifi range? She doesn't want or need mobile data, but would like the ability to send and receive picture messages. We're leaning toward the iPhone (an older model) because we are familiar with iOS, but we're also open to other user-friendly devices.

Does anyone else else use a smartphone in this manner, and if so, what are good low-data plan options?
I found with my phone (android) I could not send MMS messages over WiFi with the phone. Had to turn data ON to do it. Not positive about receiving MMS sent to my cellphone number (don't think that worked either over WiFi) but you can receive them over WiFi if they are sent to your email address.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

You might look at Republic Wireless if you're buying a new phone anyway. Their $10/month plan will definitely allow you to send free MMS while on WiFi or cell w/o paying for data. Otherwise, yes, Google Hangouts works on WiFi only to send images; my husband does this from his office which has no cell reception all the time.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Browser wrote:I found with my phone (android) I could not send MMS messages over WiFi with the phone. Had to turn data ON to do it. Not positive about receiving MMS sent to my cellphone number (don't think that worked either over WiFi) but you can receive them over WiFi if they are sent to your email address.
How did you send or receive SMS text over wifi?
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Google is sort of getting MMS to work without data it appears. Verizon is not yet working for inbound. For all carriers, it seems that outbound sends them a link. The latest is here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/colu ... /17061517/
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

You don't have to use data for SMS, it goes over the regular cell phone network. SMS predates usable mobile data connections and is built into the protocol. MMS however typically requires a data connection to the cell phone network (wifi usually doesn't work, there are some exceptions most notably with customized ROMS).

If you use Google Hangouts it can approximate a MMS by sending a link to the picture which is then viewed on the web browser (basically it puts the picture in the cloud and sends a private link). Using Google hangouts in this way requires a data connection either through Wifi or the cell network. I use Google voice + google hangouts and it works pretty well.
Not positive about receiving MMS sent to my cellphone number
You'll generally receive the text but not the picture, there will be a download button that you press that will only work with mobile data enabled. You can click the button with just wifi but the download generally will fail. My wife has mobile data toggled off so when she receives a MMS she just toggles on LTE for a moment, presses download and then toggles mobile data off again.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

An iPod Touch will send messages over wifi using iMessage. However, you would have to email the pictures to people without Apple devices (or maybe use Google Hangouts?).

The good thing is that it would cost you $0 in data, and if the camera for the iPod touch is the same as the iPhone, it's a superior camera compared to most budget smartphones.

I believe Apple is announcing the new iPods/iPads in a couple days.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Sending a link is actually the correct implementation for a fallback based on the standard, but it is too bad they don't have it working with the actual image. Google isn't to blame though, it is the big 4 carriers who were refusing to play ball with the VoIP providers. Sprint was the first to get on board, and the other 3 are on board now and things are starting to get better but they are slow to upgrade to the new messaging routing standards.

I use Voice + Hangouts and use ~10MB/month on my smart phone because I'm on Wifi 99% of the time I'm using my phone (work, home, parents), and I blocked most of the background usage as it provided me no real benefit but did waste data. My current MVNO of choice is Ting and we pay $24/month for two cell phones.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Quickfoot wrote:
You don't have to use data for SMS, it goes over the regular cell phone network. SMS predates usable mobile data connections and is built into the protocol. MMS however typically requires a data connection to the cell phone network (wifi usually doesn't work, there are some exceptions most notably with customized ROMS).

If you use Google Hangouts it can approximate a MMS by sending a link to the picture which is then viewed on the web browser (basically it puts the picture in the cloud and sends a private link). Using Google hangouts in this way requires a data connection either through Wifi or the cell network. I use Google voice + google hangouts and it works pretty well.
Not positive about receiving MMS sent to my cellphone number
You'll generally receive the text but not the picture, there will be a download button that you press that will only work with mobile data enabled. You can click the button with just wifi but the download generally will fail. My wife has mobile data toggled off so when she receives a MMS she just toggles on LTE for a moment, presses download and then toggles mobile data off again.
Thanks. Very informative.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Topic Author
charley

Post by charley »

Thanks, Browser and Quickfoot - the specifics about how SMS and MMS work on a smartphone are critical details I was confused about.
nordlead wrote: I use Voice + Hangouts and use ~10MB/month on my smart phone because I'm on Wifi 99% of the time I'm using my phone (work, home, parents), and I blocked most of the background usage as it provided me no real benefit but did waste data. My current MVNO of choice is Ting and we pay $24/month for two cell phones.
A friend at work has an iPhone and we tried turning off data selectively and it still sipped data for unknown apps throughout the day. Your solution is ideal since it wouldn't involve turning on/turning off data (and the potential to leave data on). Was it difficult to configure your device to shutdown background data usage?
mlipps wrote:You might look at Republic Wireless if you're buying a new phone anyway. Their $10/month plan will definitely allow you to send free MMS while on WiFi or cell w/o paying for data. Otherwise, yes, Google Hangouts works on WiFi only to send images; my husband does this from his office which has no cell reception all the time.
I've considered this, and it does seem like a good deal. My only trepidation is the device limitation, but I suspect my wife would be fine with a Motorola device, especially if it's limited to normal phone functions and using the camera. Would the Republic wireless solution be easier to use than an iphone with Google voice/hangouts. I don't have any experience, but from reading it sounds like it would be.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

charley wrote:Thanks, Browser and Quickfoot - the specifics about how SMS and MMS work on a smartphone are critical details I was confused about.
nordlead wrote: I use Voice + Hangouts and use ~10MB/month on my smart phone because I'm on Wifi 99% of the time I'm using my phone (work, home, parents), and I blocked most of the background usage as it provided me no real benefit but did waste data. My current MVNO of choice is Ting and we pay $24/month for two cell phones.
A friend at work has an iPhone and we tried turning off data selectively and it still sipped data for unknown apps throughout the day. Your solution is ideal since it wouldn't involve turning on/turning off data (and the potential to leave data on). Was it difficult to configure your device to shutdown background data usage?
I have a Nexus 5 and the Nexus line of phones is released by Google with stock Android. Due to this it is extremely easy to configure restricting background usage. And if you aren't happy with your options, it is incredibly easy to root and install other solutions. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is just as easy to configure. I don't know if other manufacturers took away the functionality or not, you would have to investigate yourself.

I left my phone at home today on accident, so I'm going off of memory, but all you have to do is go down the list of apps on the Settings->Data page and check the box that says restrict background data usage. Each app will show how much background data it consumed over the selected timeframe and I just turned everything off that doesn't actually benefit me. For example, I don't need Facebook updates while out and about and if I do I'll just open the app. Pretty much only emails and texts are allowed over the cell data if I'm not actively using the app.

On a typical day with the cell radio on I use ~0.5MB on the drive to work and back. I keep the cell radio off a lot though, as it makes the battery last a lot longer, but if I leave it on I'm not really concerned about data usage.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

charley wrote:Thanks, Browser and Quickfoot - the specifics about how SMS and MMS work on a smartphone are critical details I was confused about.

mlipps wrote:You might look at Republic Wireless if you're buying a new phone anyway. Their $10/month plan will definitely allow you to send free MMS while on WiFi or cell w/o paying for data. Otherwise, yes, Google Hangouts works on WiFi only to send images; my husband does this from his office which has no cell reception all the time.
I've considered this, and it does seem like a good deal. My only trepidation is the device limitation, but I suspect my wife would be fine with a Motorola device, especially if it's limited to normal phone functions and using the camera. Would the Republic wireless solution be easier to use than an iphone with Google voice/hangouts. I don't have any experience, but from reading it sounds like it would be.
I don't know about easier, neither is very hard, but Republic Wireless is the most straight forward. You can also switch plans twice per month, so if you ever wanted to have data because you were travelling or something, it's easy to enable that, which I like.

I went from an iPhone to the Moto X & have no complaints whatsoever; I thought the Android would be less user friendly but honestly I think it's all just marketing. There's nothing complicated about the Android either. I will say though, that the camera is not quite as good on the Moto X as it was on my iPhone, especially in low light. Might be worth doing research into that before buying so your wife is not disappointed.