You may be getting charged rent for a router/modem you own

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
McCharley

You may be getting charged rent for a router/modem you own

Post by McCharley »

This morning's NYT Haggler article was about Comcast, which had been charging a customer $8/mo. rent for a router they'd bought from Amazon. The customer then got nowhere with customer service until the Haggler called, after which they refunded the customer's 4 years of "rent" fees :shock: and gave them two free months of cable for their trouble.

This was interesting to me because I had the same issue and was charged rent for a cable modem I owned. This happened out of the blue. I didn't immediately catch it because it only added a few dollars to the bill. When I did call them they were very apologetic and fixed it immediately.

It is worth looking over your cable bill and seeing if you are getting charged rent. If you are renting a unit you'd save money in the long run by buying one, just make sure Comcast knows about it. :greedy
cheese_breath

Re: You may be getting charged rent for a router/modem you o

Post by cheese_breath »

When I signed up with Comcast a few years ago my first bill included a cable modem rental charge even though I had my own. I immediately called them and gave them all my modem information and after two more months of invalid rental charges and a few more phone calls they eventually got it straightened out. Ever since then I've been checking my statement every month to make sure they haven't added the rental charge back on. So far, so good.

Now I'm continually getting Emails and recorded phone calls from them saying my modem needs to be upgraded, and offering to rent me one. This is even though I already upgraded to a new Comcast preferred DOCSYS 3.0 modem a couple months ago and already gave them all the information on the new modem twice.

So don't blame Comcast if you get invalid charges on your bill. It's not their fault. They just have no idea what's going on.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
telemark

Post by telemark »

cheese_breath wrote:So don't blame Comcast if you get invalid charges on your bill. It's not their fault. They just have no idea what's going on.
The problem with companies like Comcast is that they're assembled out of the parts of other dead companies. A little stitching, a jolt of electricity, and off they lurch to terrorize the local populace. So incompetence is always a possibility.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

For those who only have internet through comcast and no television service, make sure you are not being charged an "HD" fee. They add this few dollar fee on to your bill as a default and will only remove if you call them.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

After about 4 years of service, even though I own my own modem, I began to get two modem notations on my bills: 1. Customer owned rental : 0 charge. 2. Modem rental fee $8. I called monthly and always got the call center with very polite people from the Philippines. Eventually I made them promise at the beginning of each call not to apologize for my inconvenience. They would immediately credit the $8 and promise it wouldn't recur. It did for about 3 months. I then asked for Customer Solutions and that at least gets you to the States. Three more months. I then asked if there was a Customer Solutions supervisor. He tried. After about 2 months of it refusing to go away, they concluded it was a "ghosting charge". He called me every month when the bill was created before I saw it so he could tell me what to expect. Finally the ghosting charge was eliminated last month after about a year.
kazper

Post by kazper »

I was rightfully being charged for renting a modem way back in the day. Imagine my surprise when I found out you could buy one and it costs less than about six months worth the fee. I have been using the same one since, over 6 years now. If only I had bought my own sooner...
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

kazper wrote:I was rightfully being charged for renting a modem way back in the day. Imagine my surprise when I found out you could buy one and it costs less than about six months worth the fee. I have been using the same one since, over 6 years now. If only I had bought my own sooner...
You don't still rent your telephone do you? :twisted:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are several prior posts on this issue. Even after you get the problem "fixed," it tends to pop up again at the end of your current contract period with Comcast. So keep watching your bills closely. It happens so frequently and to so many people that I cannot believe it's an accident. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class-action lawsuit against Comcast (maybe there has been, but I've just been left out of it).
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Are there any startups that do analysis of monthly bills to figure out where you could save money, and where you might be being hustled? Sites like Mint have this as an extremely rudimentary feature; I'm wondering if something more robust exists.

In recent years I've moved from a position of perceiving monthly bills as black-and-white required payments, to seeing some of them as first-round payment negotiation documents. Sometimes even the tiniest bit of protest quickly results in a reduction of charges; a 10-minute phone call can result in thousands of dollars of lifetime savings.

For example, threatening to switch away from a service provider to another can often result in a reduction of charges. I wonder if something can be setup such that one's economic position in such situations is automatically optimized. These companies use scripts to maximize their position; perhaps consumers can just automatically apply a competing script.
OAG

Post by OAG »

I am with TW - Purchased my own Modem/Wi-Fi Router hooked it up. Took old TW Modem/Wi-Fi Router to them got a receipt and immediately (as in next bill) received the reduction (even a partial reduction for the month of return as of the day I turned in the old TW device to them). No complaints.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I did rent a modem from Comcast maybe 8 years ago and paid for it for 2 years. At that point, the charge disappeared from my bill and they told me that I basically owned the modem at that point. The modem failed, I threw it out, and bought my own one that I used for quite awhile.

All the sudden a couple months ago, I started getting charged for a modem that I never turned in. I was able to get it credited pretty easily, but not before they tried telling me I never turned in my modem.

I seriously despise comcast at this point.
billern

Post by billern »

They assessed this charge for me. When I contest it, they said they would 'investigate' and ended up removing the charge without contacting me. Next month my cable service fee was increased by the same amount with no explanation. What a despicable company. I wish I had another option for high speed internet where I live.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Pacman wrote:For those who only have internet through comcast and no television service, make sure you are not being charged an "HD" fee. They add this few dollar fee on to your bill as a default and will only remove if you call them.
I've refused to pay the HD fee and for many years got the basic broadcast stations in HD anyway. Recently Comcast scrambled even those stations so I had to get a set top box - for which I'll eventually be charged rent! Now, with the set top, I get the broadcast stations in SD which is curious since the stations themselves are all HD now. I guess Comcast wants to milk a $10/mo fee for as long as possible.
opnfld

Post by opnfld »

the modem rental fee returned to my bill on three separate occasions. It was removed and credited after a call to customer service. Most recently they gave me a case number and indicated the charge would be removed in 10-14 days. It wasn't; i called again. During both calls there were long periods of silence while I waited for the service rep to do or say something. It seemed to me that he was killing time to avoid taking another call. Eventually the charge and all back charges were credited my account. I'm waiting for to happen again.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Way back in the 90s when I first got on the internet I used the Comcast supplied modem. I had heard from colleagues that if there were any problems and you weren't using one of their modems Comcast would not do any trouble shooting until you first replaced the modem.

After 2 months with everything working I got my own. Returning the modem to them was a trip. First off I had to report to one of their locations located off a dirty dingy industrial park and I could only come during certain hours. Following instructions I show up and there is a line out the door wrapped around the building. Stalin would have been proud!

I, like others, settled in with a book and waited my turn for the sole attendant at the desk. Come my turn I hand over the modem and the clerk inputs some things into a terminal then turns and THROWS the modem clear across the room into a large bin already overflowing with other returned goods. I get no receipt.

The modem charge does disappear of my bill next month. But 6 months later I get a notice about non-returned equipment and will I please fork over $300 (for a $20 modem???)! I can't recall how it got settled by I do know there were several back and forth calls.

My sister recently returned her modem and I told her to make sure she got a receipt. She did but lost it. Sure enough a couple of months later Comcast is calling up wanting payment for a "missing" modem.
Frugal Disciple

Post by Frugal Disciple »

I recently signed up for CenturyLink internet. During the sales process I explicitly told them that I already have a device and do not need them to send one. The sales lady said something along the lines of "ok I'll mark it, but sometimes the warehouse will send you one anyway". I should have known that "sometimes" means that they will definitely send me one. Of course a modem showed up along with a charge on my first bill. Eventually I got it straightened out after a lot of headache. They refunded the modem charge as well as a little extra (maybe $15). Their customer service was horrible, but I think that is par for the course.
**Insert witty and/or insightful quote here**
TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 »

I'm not surprised in the slightest. In my experience, Comcast will try to get one past you any way they can. Unfortunately in my area they're the only option (for cable/internet). I know several people on here have lower cost options for internet and then subscriptions for Hulu, etc. on top of that. Potentially, I should look into that. Although I don't watch TV for shows or movies, mostly sporting events (not sure if thats covered by Hulu, and I know its not by Netflix). Anyone have any details/insight?

The annoying part is how many hoops they make you jump through to fix anything. They're hoping they can outlast you on the phone and you'll just give up trying
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

My Comcast travails:

1. TV adapter
- While I was still living in Maryland, Comcast called me that they were sending me a TV adapter.
- I told them that I don't have a TV and don't need an adapter.
- They said that the adapter was free.
- I said I that I still don't need it.
- They said that they do mass mailing of these adapters, and when the adapter arrives I can refuse to accept it, and it will be returned to Comcast.
- A few days later, the adapter arrived and was left at my door. I never had an opportunity to refuse it.
- When I was moving from MD to VA, I was going to throw the adapter away but then decided to take it with me to the new apartment and keep it until my Comcast move-related matters settle.
- I had a large credit on my Maryland Comcast account, because I paid the final bill in full but closed the account a few days after the new billing cycle has started.
- A few days ago, I received a letter from Comcast stating that they will hold my credit until I return the adapter.
- Today, I went to a local Comcast office to return the adapter in person.
- I hope that it will show up on my account and I get a check for the amount of credit.
- I have a receipt for the returned the adapter, but I am skeptical that I will get the check any time soon.

2. Installation charge
- In early September, I called Comcast that I was moving from Maryland to Virginia.
- The person I spoke with has scheduled an appointment with a technician and said that the service is free.
- I live in a large apartment building where many tenants use Comcast, including the former tenants of my apartment unit. The building manager said that the installation should be free.
- The next day I received a call from Comcast that there is a $30+ charge for the installation and that I may be better off connecting the modem myself.
- I said, "OK, I will try to do it myself and if it fails, I'll call Comcast."
- I ordered from Amazon.com a new modem (I needed a new modem with DOCSIS v3, anyway) and 10-ft coax cable. I paid extra for the 1-day delivery.
- Then I noticed that male-female endings of my new coax cable and the cable termination in my new apartment did not match. (I think both were male.)
- I was considering buying a male-female adapter but decided that I should have a tech configure it for me.
- I called Comcast, and the guy I spoke with said that the other people messed it up, and that there should be no charge.
- My call was recorded (by Comcast) and I noted the exact time of the call.
- I could not get the appointment date I had before, and my Comcast installation was delayed by 6 days.
- The technician that eventually came in was quite good, and my Internet connection came up alive. HOWEVER:
- My new Virginia bill shows the $30+ charge for the installation.

3. Modem rental
- I had my own modem in Maryland (DOCSIS v2) and was never charged for a modem rental.
- I purchased a new modem for Virginia (DOCSIS v3).
- The technician that configured my connection in the new apartment knew that I was using my own modem.
- Nevertheless, my new Comcast bill in Virginia has a charge for a modem rental.

4. Other charges on the Virginia Comcast bill
- I am charged $10 for a Blast service that I have not requested.
- I am charged $1.50 for broadcast TV, even though I don't have a TV.

5.Online account access
- My online access to Comcast stopped working.
- Today, I was told that due to the move to a new state, my old account was closed, including the Internet access.
- I have a bill due 25 October, and I was going to pay it after other issues were resolved.
- However, without electronic access to bill paying, I had to pay it now.

6. Credit or debit?
- Today, I went to a local Comcast office in person.
- The service representative seemed knowledgeable and helpful, and she spent a fair amount of time trying to fix some of the issues I have listed above.
- I paid my VA bill in full (by VISA), in person, because the time was running out and my online access is not working.
- When I got the receipt for my payment, instead of $34 credit to me, the bill showed that I still have a balance of $34.
- I asked the service representative about it, and she responded that in a few days it will settle.

7. Trying to complain
- My Comcast documents include an address for the Franchise Authority for Arlington County.
- I decided to stop by at the County office to find out where I could file a complaint if my Comcast matters were not resolved.
- The room listed on the Comcast documents is not accessible to the public, and I was told to go to a different room on a different floor.
- In the other room, I was told that the county only deals with the video broadcast.
- A nice county employee decided to help me and called on my behalf to the FCC.
- After 10 minutes of navigating FCC's automated calling options, we were told to call the FTC.
- The FTC took my information and then said that they can't help, and that I should contact the Consumer Financial Protection Agency.
- We called the CFP, got a human pretty quickly, but she said that they would get involved only if I were in debt to Comcast. She suggested to call the FCC (!).
- We called the FCC again but used different numerical options when navigating their announcements.
- Eventually, we got a live person at the FCC, but she said that these issues are handled by the State.
- I have a telephone of a supposedly appropriate office in the State of Virginia, but have not called them yet.

To be continued...

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Reminds me of the film serials I used to see at the movies every Saturday when I was a kid in the '50s. Anxiously awaiting the next chapter. :twisted:
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Comcast seems to have gotten even worse lately, if that's possible.

A couple of years ago I got a letter saying I'd start being charged for my modem which, the letter implied, I had somehow stolen from Comcast and was using scot-free. I was hesitant to call the 800 number knowing that a charge for service calls had gone into effect, and once I got dinged with that fee for calling that number when no service was required, just information.

But I forged on, called Comcast and told them I'd bought the thing at Radio Shack and they should not start charging a rental fee.

The charge for the modem never appeared. But another, lower charge began, for a little digital adapter that I have on my second TV. That had always been free. There was no letter in the mail this time, so no chance to complain.

Lesson: Comcast will get the money they want one way or another. I am trying a Netflix free month, but so far don't like it much. It's too in-your-face with a lot of choices I don't want -- not customized enough. It's improved but not a replacement for a few cable channels.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cheese_breath wrote:Reminds me of the film serials I used to see at the movies every Saturday when I was a kid in the '50s. Anxiously awaiting the next chapter. :twisted:
May be someone will hire me to write a script for a TV series.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
kazper

Post by kazper »

VictoriaF wrote:My Comcast travails:

1. TV adapter
- While I was still living in Maryland, Comcast called me that they were sending me a TV adapter.
- I told them that I don't have a TV and don't need an adapter.
- They said that the adapter was free.
- I said I that I still don't need it.
- They said that they do mass mailing of these adapters, and when the adapter arrives I can refuse to accept it, and it will be returned to Comcast.
- A few days later, the adapter arrived and was left at my door. I never had an opportunity to refuse it.
- When I was moving from MD to VA, I was going to throw the adapter away but then decided to take it with me to the new apartment and keep it until my Comcast move-related matters settle.
- I had a large credit on my Maryland Comcast account, because I paid the final bill in full but closed the account a few days after the new billing cycle has started.
- A few days ago, I received a letter from Comcast stating that they will hold my credit until I return the adapter.
- Today, I went to a local Comcast office to return the adapter in person.
- I hope that it will show up on my account and I get a check for the amount of credit.
- I have a receipt for the returned the adapter, but I am skeptical that I will get the check any time soon.

2. Installation charge
- In early September, I called Comcast that I was moving from Maryland to Virginia.
- The person I spoke with has scheduled an appointment with a technician and said that the service is free.
- I live in a large apartment building where many tenants use Comcast, including the former tenants of my apartment unit. The building manager said that the installation should be free.
- The next day I received a call from Comcast that there is a $30+ charge for the installation and that I may be better off connecting the modem myself.
- I said, "OK, I will try to do it myself and if it fails, I'll call Comcast."
- I ordered from Amazon.com a new modem (I needed a new modem with DOCSIS v3, anyway) and 10-ft coax cable. I paid extra for the 1-day delivery.
- Then I noticed that male-female endings of my new coax cable and the cable termination in my new apartment did not match. (I think both were male.)
- I was considering buying a male-female adapter but decided that I should have a tech configure it for me.
- I called Comcast, and the guy I spoke with said that the other people messed it up, and that there should be no charge.
- My call was recorded (by Comcast) and I noted the exact time of the call.
- I could not get the appointment date I had before, and my Comcast installation was delayed by 6 days.
- The technician that eventually came in was quite good, and my Internet connection came up alive. HOWEVER:
- My new Virginia bill shows the $30+ charge for the installation.

3. Modem rental
- I had my own modem in Maryland (DOCSIS v2) and was never charged for a modem rental.
- I purchased a new modem for Virginia (DOCSIS v3).
- The technician that configured my connection in the new apartment knew that I was using my own modem.
- Nevertheless, my new Comcast bill in Virginia has a charge for a modem rental.

4. Other charges on the Virginia Comcast bill
- I am charged $10 for a Blast service that I have not requested.
- I am charged $1.50 for broadcast TV, even though I don't have a TV.

5.Online account access
- My online access to Comcast stopped working.
- Today, I was told that due to the move to a new state, my old account was closed, including the Internet access.
- I have a bill due 25 October, and I was going to pay it after other issues were resolved.
- However, without electronic access to bill paying, I had to pay it now.

6. Credit or debit?
- Today, I went to a local Comcast office in person.
- The service representative seemed knowledgeable and helpful, and she spent a fair amount of time trying to fix some of the issues I have listed above.
- I paid my VA bill in full (by VISA), in person, because the time was running out and my online access is not working.
- When I got the receipt for my payment, instead of $34 credit to me, the bill showed that I still have a balance of $34.
- I asked the service representative about it, and she responded that in a few days it will settle.

7. Trying to complain
- My Comcast documents include an address for the Franchise Authority for Arlington County.
- I decided to stop by at the County office to find out where I could file a complaint if my Comcast matters were not resolved.
- The room listed on the Comcast documents is not accessible to the public, and I was told to go to a different room on a different floor.
- In the other room, I was told that the county only deals with the video broadcast.
- A nice county employee decided to help me and called on my behalf to the FCC.
- After 10 minutes of navigating FCC's automated calling options, we were told to call the FTC.
- The FTC took my information and then said that they can't help, and that I should contact the Consumer Financial Protection Agency.
- We called the CFP, got a human pretty quickly, but she said that they would get involved only if I were in debt to Comcast. She suggested to call the FCC (!).
- We called the FCC again but used different numerical options when navigating their announcements.
- Eventually, we got a live person at the FCC, but she said that these issues are handled by the State.
- I have a telephone of a supposedly appropriate office in the State of Virginia, but have not called them yet.

To be continued...

Victoria
I feel your pain. When they first set up my equipment I had an install scheduled between noon and 4. The guy showed up at 7 30! What made it worse, my parents were in town. We only see them about two times a year, so instead of having a nice, relaxing dinner with them I was in a cramped room with the cable guy fiddling with configurations. Sadly, they were our only option at the time.

Skip ahead a few years, another company moved in to the territory. I called to see if we were in their service area. When they said yes, I signed up under one of their new service deals and made the switch. Now it takes less than 5 minutes to talk to a human customer service rep.
TSR

Post by TSR »

furwut wrote:
Pacman wrote:For those who only have internet through comcast and no television service, make sure you are not being charged an "HD" fee. They add this few dollar fee on to your bill as a default and will only remove if you call them.
I've refused to pay the HD fee and for many years got the basic broadcast stations in HD anyway. Recently Comcast scrambled even those stations so I had to get a set top box - for which I'll eventually be charged rent! Now, with the set top, I get the broadcast stations in SD which is curious since the stations themselves are all HD now. I guess Comcast wants to milk a $10/mo fee for as long as possible.
Have you considered just buying an antenna for the broadcast stations? I've "cut the cord" entirely and only watch via antenna, but it's a much better HD picture than Comcast offers (because no compression).

I think these HD fees are outrageous. The last time I cancelled a free promotion with Comcast, I told them that it was because their product did not work. The guy asked what I meant, and I told him that I have a standard-model HD TV, but their product did not support HD. He told me you have to pay extra for HD. I explained to him that it was now impossible to buy a non-HD TV, so his product did not work with the current state of technology. He again explained that you had to pay extra. I asked him if that meant that their product did not work with the current state of technology. He explained that you had to pay extra for it to work with current technology. I explained that this meant that their product did not work as well as a 20-year-old pair of rabbit ears. Etc. It was not a productive conversation, though he did offer me six months free HD (which I declined).

Good luck.
CPABOB

Post by CPABOB »

I had been paying rent on the box from Direct. When I cancelled the service I assumed they would want the receiver or at least the cards from them back. When we didn't hear anything about it, my wife called and they said they didn't want them back because they weren't the current model being used. So it wasn't good enough for them to want it back but it was good enough to charge for. I'm hoping this happens the next time I rent a car.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

CPABOB wrote:I had been paying rent on the box from Direct. When I cancelled the service I assumed they would want the receiver or at least the cards from them back. When we didn't hear anything about it, my wife called and they said they didn't want them back because they weren't the current model being used. So it wasn't good enough for them to want it back but it was good enough to charge for. I'm hoping this happens the next time I rent a car.
How long ago have you cancelled the service? There is a possibility that they may still request the box or charge you for it. The onus would be on you to prove that you had a telephone conversation with them.

Victoria
ianferrel

Post by ianferrel »

Thanks for the timely reminder. I just moved and re-subscribed to cable. The first bill came, and sure enough, they were charging me $7 rent for my cable modem.

Given how incompetent Cox is at so many things, I think this is just a case where they have no incentive to fix their obviously broken systems, since they get paid for every mistake.
CPABOB

Post by CPABOB »

VictoriaF wrote:
CPABOB wrote:I had been paying rent on the box from Direct. When I cancelled the service I assumed they would want the receiver or at least the cards from them back. When we didn't hear anything about it, my wife called and they said they didn't want them back because they weren't the current model being used. So it wasn't good enough for them to want it back but it was good enough to charge for. I'm hoping this happens the next time I rent a car.
How long ago have you cancelled the service? There is a possibility that they may still request the box or charge you for it. The onus would be on you to prove that you had a telephone conversation with them.

Victoria
It hasn't been long at all. This occurred to me so we kept the box just in case.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Wow, I feel your pain.

Here in Central Texas we have a pretty small local provider called Grande Communications. About 5 years ago they came through and pulled fiber in my neighborhood and started to offer phone/internet/cable and the price was good enough that I dropped DirectTV and ATT and went with Grande for everything. Maybe it is because they are a small newer hungry company built up from scratch but I actually get good customer service. When I call them the caller ID brings up my account information for the customer service person on the other end and I get issues resolved in minutes.

I almost switched over to Time Warner this fall because I wanted to get a more comprehensive sports package than Grande offers but then thought the better of it after reading these sorts of horror stories from the big companies. We don't have Comcast but I hear much the same about Time Warner.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Same thing happened to me with comcast.
WHL

Post by WHL »

texasdiver wrote:Wow, I feel your pain.

Here in Central Texas we have a pretty small local provider called Grande Communications. About 5 years ago they came through and pulled fiber in my neighborhood and started to offer phone/internet/cable and the price was good enough that I dropped DirectTV and ATT and went with Grande for everything. Maybe it is because they are a small newer hungry company built up from scratch but I actually get good customer service. When I call them the caller ID brings up my account information for the customer service person on the other end and I get issues resolved in minutes.

I almost switched over to Time Warner this fall because I wanted to get a more comprehensive sports package than Grande offers but then thought the better of it after reading these sorts of horror stories from the big companies. We don't have Comcast but I hear much the same about Time Warner.
In my small West Texas town we had Suddenlink. They were decent, and the pricing was good. I never had any issues about the speed of my internet. Now, I'm back in a Comcast area, and hating life. They are so overpriced it is ridiculous.

Regarding your last comment, Comcast now owns TW, so these issues will only be exacerbated going forward :x
furwut

Post by furwut »

TSR wrote: Have you considered just buying an antenna for the broadcast stations? I've "cut the cord" entirely and only watch via antenna, but it's a much better HD picture than Comcast offers (because no compression).
I've tried once. Couldn't get anything. I live in the SE corner of a large apartment building and broadcast towers are all 7 miles to the NW. I've heard that HD over the air, unlike the older analog technology, requires line of sight and doesn't reflect off of building surfaces. Someday I'll do some research on the best antennas and give it another go.

Broadcast wise the only things I watch are the national, and sometimes, the local news. Everything else is streaming. I can even catch the national news as a video podcast an hour or two later in the evening. Comcast tells me it is cheaper to have a basic TV subscription with internet as a bundle than just internet alone - though I can't ever seem to get them to quote me that price. :x

Still - every year when they try to increase my bill 50 - 75% I call up and ask to have the TV disconnected and the internet downgraded. The increase is quickly waived.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Reminds me of the stories about the transition from having to rent a phone from "Ma Bell" and being able to buy your own phone. Many stories circulated about people not realizing they could buy their own phone and paying rental charges on antiquated phones for years.

My own modem rental experience came to a crashing (and yucky) end when I went to the cable office to exchange yet another defective cable modem. I stopped at the store on the way home from the cable office. When getting back into the car, I moved the cable modem to make room for the bags. It was then that I heard a rattling noise. Looking more closely at the modem, I noticed that the "refurbished" cable modem was filled with dead bugs. The cable office had already closed by this point, so I took copious pictures, put the modem in a Ziploc bag, and then went over to a big box store to purchase my own modem. I called the corporate tech support that night to complain and activate the bug-free new modem, then I took the infested modem back to the office the next morning, with a generous side of disgust and additional complaints.

This was not with Comcast, but rather another cable company. The local office was rather unsympathetic to the whole incident, as if bug-filled equipment was no big deal. But after I posted photos of the buggy modem online, the corporate office did contact me for an apology and more details. After checking my account notes and seeing the documentation, they did provide compensation for the costs of the new modem.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

VictoriaF wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:Reminds me of the film serials I used to see at the movies every Saturday when I was a kid in the '50s. Anxiously awaiting the next chapter. :twisted:
May be someone will hire me to write a script for a TV series.

Victoria
I hope that TV series is eventually broadcast on a channel carried by Comcast.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Mudpuppy wrote: Reminds me of the stories about the transition from having to rent a phone from "Ma Bell" and being able to buy your own phone. Many stories circulated about people not realizing they could buy their own phone and paying rental charges on antiquated phones for years.
That was my MIL. One night she was complaining about her phone bills to my wife and finally decided to let me take a look at them. (She has always been very secretive about her finances.) Among other things she was still renting her phone. It was long after the split-up of AT&T and before they put it back together, and there were no more customer service shops in our area. I called the phone company and nobody at the customer service staff knew how I could return the phone, but transferring my call around the organization several times I finally fell upon someone who could tell me. They sent to a hardware store several miles away who would accept the old phone for them. I also discovered looking at her bill she was enrolled in the cheapest plan offered thinking she was saving money. But it only covered 14 free local calls per month, so in addition to all the long distance calls to her son in CA she was also paying extra for nearly every local call she made. And she made a lot of local calls.

Ah the fun of dealing with old people's finances. I guess the actionable item here is when my kids start thinking mine are screwed up I better let them see my bills. :?
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have really had no problems with Comcast other than being dissatisfied with cable tv pricing but there is nothing I can do about that other than cancel so I deal with it.The last couple of years I have gotten a 20.00 per month discount on my bill.After the first year,I walked into the local cable office and asked for it again,agent said No problem,what else can I do for you. :happy
I pay for the blast internet service and am very pleased with the speeds I am getting 55-60 mb download,using it all day long and most of the evening.
Am I pleased with the Broadcast TV fee,which everyone has to pay?Am I pleased with the fact that very soon I will have to start paying for the digital adapters for extra TVs that are now free?No,but that is the way it is,it is out of my control,I can either cut the cord which I am not going to do so I accept the fact it is what it is and complaining is not going to change anything. :happy

Digital Starter 63.45
1-Hd Box Fee(rental) 9.95
Service Discount -20.00
Digial Adapter(for now) 0.00
Internet 53.95
Broadcast TV fee 1.50
Taxes & Fees 6.61
Total 115.46 :happy (That's Entertainment)

BroadCast TV fee
“Beginning in 2014, we will itemize a portion of broadcast retransmission costs as a separate line item to be more transparent with our customers about the factors that drive price changes,” he said. “In 2014, we will not increase the price of Limited Basic or Digital Preferred video service, and adjustments to other video service prices will be lower than they would have been without the Broadcast TV Fee.
Retransmission fees have to do with how much Comcast and other cable operators get charged to carry the signals of broadcast stations, which they are required to do."
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee