Couch Surfing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
investor1

Couch Surfing

Post by investor1 »

For people who are not aware, couchsurfing.org is a website where a community of people around the world open their homes to travelers. You sign up, fill out a profile, state whether or not you want to host people or just surf. When you travel, you search through profiles from hosts in that city, send them a couch request explaining why you want to stay with them. They read it along with your profile and decide whether or not to host you.

The cost of doing this is $0. It isn't about money. It is about the social experience. That being said, it just seems right to try to do something nice for people that welcome you into their home.

Questions were posted in another thread about this topic:
VictoriaF wrote:
investor1 wrote:* I got more into couch surfing when traveling. I've tried it in the past, but I did it about a half a dozen times this year. It meant I didn't spend any money on a hotel. Sure, I did nice things for my hosts that had some costs associated, but no where near what a hotel room costs.
Could you please share your couch surfing experiences, in this thread or a separate one if you prefer? I want to try couch surfing, but I don't know how to get started. I'd like to surf other coaches but I am not ready to offer mine to other surfers. It sounds terribly selfish, but perhaps, there is a way to reconcile my wishes, e.g., by doing nice things for hosts. I am curious what are some nice things I can do for coach owners?

Thanks,

Victoria
On not hosting
I've never hosted. I don't see that as a barrier to entry. Some people do, and I have had couch requests rejected because of this, but I don't mind and this line of thinking is the minority in today's CS'ing community.

On how to get started
Two things: 1. Create an account, and fill out your profile. 2. Attend local CS'ing events.

Filling out your profile is really important. It helps people who might be considering hosting you get a sense of who you are and whether or not they are comfortable having you in their home. Post pictures of yourself, describe the type of person you are and things you are interested in.

Beyond that, network. Many cities hold local CS'ing events. Go meet people. Make friends, ask questions, have fun. In addition to just being a fun thing to do, there is a section on your profile page that is a friends list. Become CS'ing friends with people you meet. There is another section for references. If you meet cool people at events or traveling or whatever, leave a reference and hopefully they return the favor. All of this helps show potential hosts that you aren't an axe murderer. Honestly, I think the reference section is the greatest safety feature on the website.

Even if you don't have any references or friends yet, feel free to surf. When you search for a host, you'll do so by saying where and when you want to travel. That brings up a list of hosts in that city. You can filter the results and look for people who have been verified, vouched for, have a picture in their profile, etc. You can also sort the results by experience (aka a lot of references).

Read the profiles, and send a couch request to the people you think you'll enjoy staying with. There will be a section on their profile that describes the sleeping arrangement they offer (spare bedroom, the couch, floor space, shared room, etc.). You can read about who they are, their interests, and their references.

When you send the request don't copy and paste a generic request. Tell them why you want to stay with them specifically. A lot of hosts will simple reject the request if it seems generic to them (some surfers don't bother reading profiles and just want a free place to stay). The request itself has two sections to fill out: 1. Why are you going to that city? 2. Why do you want to meet that host? The first section tends to be pretty much the same for every request you send in that city, but the second section should be unique to that host. The request itself will also include the travel dates and how you are going to arrive (plane, train, automobile, etc.).

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of hosts don't want to host someone for more than a few days. If you are going to be there for a week or whatever, you might have better luck staying with more than one host. I usually send the request with the full travel date and just tell them that I'd be happy even if they can only host me for part of my trip.

On showing your gratitude
There isn't anything about "the rules" (I just made that up, there aren't any rules) that says you have to do anything for your host(s). It is just a nice thing to do :) Honestly, some hosts will ask you to pay. This is very rare, but sometimes it says so in their profile. I've taken hosts out to dinner, a luau, shared beers, and gone to sporting events with them. Again, there are no rules. Do whatever you think is nice. Cook them a meal or something. I've also not really done anything other than hang out with them and had a good time whether it be exploring the city together and sharing a lot of laughs or sitting at home and chatting.

Also, I try to be a clean house guest. If you get water all over the bathroom floor in the morning, wipe it up. Do your dishes, heck, do theirs too. Tidy up the sleeping space before you leave. Fold the sheets or whatever, so they have an easy cleanup after you leave.

That is really all I have for now. Feel free to ask questions!
leonard

Re: Couch Surfing

Post by leonard »

Strangers allowing strangers to sleep on their couches. What could possibly go wrong...

Host: "Did I show you the sound proof room in our basement...."
Last edited by leonard on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

investor1 ,

I bookmarked your post and will use it as a reference. Your response is so comprehensive that I don't have any questions at this time, which is quite unusual {laughing at myself}. However, when I start applying your information I may seek further clarification.

Thanks again!

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Cool. Enjoy! Hotels are boring anyway.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

leonard wrote:Strangers allowing strangers to sleep on their couches. What could possibly go wrong...

Its the modern twist on hitchhiking that focuses on the destination rather than the journey.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mingus wrote:
leonard wrote:Strangers allowing strangers to sleep on their couches. What could possibly go wrong...

Its the modern twist on hitchhiking that focuses on the destination rather than the journey.
Staying in funky places qualifies as a rewarding journey. Unlike starred hotels.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
leonard

Post by leonard »

VictoriaF wrote:
Mingus wrote:

Staying in funky places qualifies as a rewarding journey. Unlike starred hotels.

Victoria
In general - this seems more like romanticising the idea and ignoring the real risks involved. But, I've said my piece, so enjoy.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

leonard wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Mingus wrote:

Victoria
In general - this seems more like romanticising the idea and ignoring the real risks involved. But, I've said my piece, so enjoy.
I was not in favor of my 20-something female friend couch surfing her way around the world for a year; I feel shallow for saying it, but she is attractive and not physically tough, a bad combination IMO. She reported that very seldom was there an issue of confused expectations on the part of the hosts, and that setting those expectations in line early was always sufficient. She couldn't have afforded the trip staying in hotels, and hostels would have also been a strain financially. She met wonderful people on the trip, and half-stumbled into a photo-journalism career based initially in Cairo and now in Thailand. This young woman had seldom ventured past PA, NJ, and NY, and in a sense, couch surfing gave her her career.

Fwiw, she was more concerned for her safety walking down the street in Egypt than she ever was couch surfing. She showed me the curve-concealing and protective padding that she wore when photographing political events; it made me a bit embarrassed to be a male.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Leif

Post by Leif »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
True, although I've stayed at many hotels.

One of the most interesting stays I had was in southern Germany (Bavaria). I was visiting a very small town. So small, my guide book did not even list any places to stay. So, I was just walking around when I saw a police station. I thought let me ask them if they have a suggestion. The mother of one of the policeman walked over and insisted I stay with them. They said they did not want me to pay. i had meals with them and visited the small town. Quite an experience.

I've always been impressed with how friendly the Europeans are.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Leif wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
True, although I've stayed at many hotels.

One of the most interesting stays I had was in southern Germany (Bavaria). I was visiting a very small town. So small, my guide book did not even list any places to stay. So, I was just walking around when I saw a police station. I thought let me ask them if they have a suggestion. The mother of one of the policeman walked over and insisted I stay with them. They said they did not want me to pay. i had meals with them and visited the small town. Quite an experience.

I've always been impressed with how friendly the Europeans are.
One of my most memorable experiences was spending a night in a hammock on the veranda of the customs house on the Guatemalan side of the border between Guatemala and the Mexican state Tabasco. The circumstances were similar to yours. I was not looking for an adventure and walked into it accidentally.

A week ago, I was staying in a hostel in London, where one night I had a long discussion with a 26-year old Austrian woman. I was in the common room using the hostel's computer. Our conversation started out with some trivial comments and evolved into very deep issues, some of which were very personal. It lasted until 3a.m. Something like that just does not happen in hotels.

Victoria
furwut

Post by furwut »

FYI

Warm Showers is a similar organization for traveling cyclists.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I've been hosted close to 50 times via both couchsurfing and Warmshowers. Virtually all my experiences have been enjoyable and I've never felt unwelcome or unsafe. While I often cook a meal for my hosts, I generally offer a meal out though almost always a meal or two is provided.

Many of my best travel memories are based on people I've met while being hosted. It is a wonderful way to meet locals and discover more about local customs and living conditions.

Every time I tour in my bicycle, the first thing I do is look for potential hosts to find places to stop for the night.

Frankly, I find Airbnb to be a crass exploitation of the same idea. Removing money from the interaction makes it so much sweeter.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

I've been on couchsurfing for years now. I think the title Couchsurfing is intimdating for some. In reality your level of participation is at completely at your descretion. Everything is voluntary, You do not have to host or surf and you are not pressured to do so either. CS is a great resource to find meetups, events, or parties while traveling. Personally, I have not surfed. I rummage through the forums looking for events and chatting with folks. I've had awesome once-in-a-lifetime experiences through meeting people on CS. If you want to want to get in thick of the local scene and find/do/expericence local culture CS is the place. First trip to NYC, don't know a soul, literally 3 hours off the plane, we (cousin and I) were at a rooftop party in Williamsburg.. Thx CS. Travel agents and hotel concierge can't pull that off.

I have hosted a few people, not many though. I live in a rural area. Most of my request are from cyclist on cross-country road trips. All were fantastic people.
juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

Raybo wrote:
Frankly, I find Airbnb to be a crass exploitation of the same idea.
I've got to defend Airbnb. When traveling as a couple or with a family. CS has limitations, as not too many people are comfortable with a 5 member family sleeping over. And, As a couple, well... you know... you may want to get affectionate ;-) Airbnb provide a nice resource for finding whole-house vacation accommodations.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Airbnb is it's own bag. It isn't about a social experience. It is about hotel prices being too high and home owners / renters looking to make some extra cash. Sometimes you get a social experience, but it is more like a modern day bed and breakfast without the waitstaff (and often times breakfast).

It's cool too, if that's what you're looking for.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

My daughter travelled Europe for 3 weeks by herself, and all but one of her stays in the six countries was through couch surfing. She said it was a great experience, she met wonderful people, and in turn has hosted a few at her own small condo in Seattle.
Of course, she didn't tell me this until AFTER her trip because she knew I'd worry more than usual.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I considered couch surfing prior to a trip to Munich about 5 years ago. Since I was a brand new member, and wasn't in a position to reciprocate as a host, I decided not to. At the time I spoke to several people I know who recommended it. I like the Idea, but have no direct experience with it.

This past summer, my wife and I used AirBNB in Bern, Switzerland. In addition to the price benefit, I really got a lot out of staying with local people. I had a long conversation with our host couple while leaning on a wall in their kitchen, drinking a beer they offered me. Again, not something you will get staying at a hotel.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

jasc15 wrote:This past summer, my wife and I used AirBNB in Bern, Switzerland. In addition to the price benefit, I really got a lot out of staying with local people. I had a long conversation with our host couple while leaning on a wall in their kitchen, drinking a beer they offered me. Again, not something you will get staying at a hotel.
Cool.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Here is a cool story about CS'ing Obama's inauguration:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/01/1 ... index.html
leonard

Post by leonard »

Fwiw, she was more concerned for her safety walking down the street in Egypt than she ever was couch surfing. She showed me the curve-concealing and protective padding that she wore when photographing political events; it made me a bit embarrassed to be a male.
It's a good thing that the unsafe people on the streets don't have couches or internet connections.

I'm not going to post any links - but do a search of "couch surfing horror stories".
Last edited by leonard on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

leonard wrote:
It's a good thing that the unsafe people on the streets don't have couches or internet connections.
A significant factor in the personal safety is intuition, and intuition is enhanced by experience. A woman who has traveled a lot, especially solo, has a better intuition than a woman who has always been chaperoned. A woman who had risky encounters with men knows what to watch out for. Bad intentions can be discerned from the email correspondence with a prospective couch offerer or from the initial meeting with him or from small lies and inconsistencies in his living situation. A smart woman acts on her intuition.

Victoria
leonard

Post by leonard »

VictoriaF wrote:
leonard wrote:
A significant factor in the personal safety is intuition, and intuition is enhanced by experience. A woman who has traveled a lot, especially solo, has a better intuition than a woman who has always been chaperoned. A woman who had risky encounters with men knows what to watch out for. Bad intentions can be discerned from the email correspondence with a prospective couch offerer or from the initial meeting with him or from small lies and inconsistencies in his living situation. A smart woman acts on her intuition.

Victoria
Why would we assume this conversation or the risks are limited to women.

And, intuition is faulty and one only has to wrong once to have a devastating impact. A free night of lodging isn't worth the risk (IMO obviously) but to many I guess it is.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

leonard wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
leonard wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:Fwiw, she was more concerned for her safety walking down the street in Egypt than she ever was couch surfing. She showed me the curve-concealing and protective padding that she wore when photographing political events; it made me a bit embarrassed to be a male.

Victoria
The statement that has started this discussion was about TomatoTomahto's young woman friend. (I have added the attribution to TomatoTomahto that we have been missing.) Statistically, it's more likely that a man would offer his couch to a woman in a hope to share the couch with her than a woman would offer her couch to a man under a similar pretense. A couch owning man may pray on other men, but he needs to be cautious about the physical strength of other men. With women, this is not a common consideration.
leonard wrote:And, intuition is faulty and one only has to wrong once to have a devastating impact. A free night of lodging isn't worth the risk (IMO obviously) but to many I guess it is.
A free night of lodging is not worth the devastating impact of being wrong. But a life curtailed by caution and risk avoidance is not worth living. An alternative is to experiment with various situations starting with low-risk ones, plan escape routes, build intuition over time, and listen to one's intuition.

Victoria
leonard

Post by leonard »

VictoriaF wrote:
leonard wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
leonard wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:Fwiw, she was more concerned for her safety walking down the street in Egypt than she ever was couch surfing. She showed me the curve-concealing and protective padding that she wore when photographing political events; it made me a bit embarrassed to be a male.

Victoria
The statement that has started this discussion was about TomatoTomahto's young woman friend. (I have added the attribution to TomatoTomahto that we have been missing.) Statistically, it's more likely that a man would offer his couch to a woman in a hope to share the couch with her than a woman would offer her couch to a man under a similar pretense. A couch owning man may pray on other men, but he needs to be cautious about the physical strength of other men. With women, this is not a common consideration.
leonard wrote:And, intuition is faulty and one only has to wrong once to have a devastating impact. A free night of lodging isn't worth the risk (IMO obviously) but to many I guess it is.
A free night of lodging is not worth the devastating impact of being wrong. But a life curtailed by caution and risk avoidance is not worth living. An alternative is to experiment with various situations starting with low-risk ones, plan escape routes, build intuition over time, and listen to one's intuition.

Victoria
Fair enough. The trade off is worth it for you. Great.

Part of intuition and personal safety - as taught in self defense and martial arts classes - is to not put yourself in the situation to begin with. Once a person is locked in, drugged, or both - one's intuition isn't going to count. I can have deep conversations with people at a coffee shop, in public.

Risk is great. But, why not choose risks were the return is greater and one has more control of the outcome - if one is looking for risk for risks sake.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

In my experience, it isn't difficult to weed out possible bad encounters by using the safety features on the website. If someone has 100 references and they are all positive, they are very likely cool people.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to stay there. If you get there and feel unsafe, leave.

Martial arts teaches you to take calculated risks. Self defense classes typically are not geared toward the development of high level skill which is why they emphasize avoidance. My martial arts training has left me feeling very comfortable in situations others would feel very uncomfortable. Some of those came down to me defending myself (successfully). None of that was CS'ing related. I'm simply trying to point out that you can get good at something that has risk (like hand to hand combat). I think that aligns with what VictoriaF is saying about intuition and experience.

The only other thing I have to add on the note of safety is that CS'ing seems to attract a certain type of person. People who are curious and kind. Not everyone in the world is out to get you. In fact, they are the minority (if not, you likely need to make a number of changes in your life). Sure, the severity of a bad experience can be high, but the probability of one happening is low. Risk mitigation plans would have this listed as a low to medium priority.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

My first thought is that the host (couch owner) is opening themself up to all sorts of liability issues.

What if the guest slips and conks their head on a coffee table?

Or scalds themselves on hot water from the shower or sink.

But, whatever. Knock yourselves out! (But not literally! :) )
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
fposte

Post by fposte »

leonard wrote: Risk is great. But, why not choose risks were the return is greater and one has more control of the outcome - if one is looking for risk for risks sake.
I don't see anything that suggests it's for risk's sake. It's for meeting people's sake and interacting with them in certain circumstances.

I run more to hotels myself, but I feel like you're comparing hotels as if they're totally safe. They're certainly not that--assaults on and robberies of hotel guests definitely occur. Couchsurfing sounds like it gives you a lot more control over the choosing the people who actually have access to you where you're staying than booking a hotel room would, and that you can indeed mitigate your risk by choosing who you stay with. (It also sounds like people are encouraged to use their real names, which means you can corroborate their existence and reputation.)

You're probably taking on more risk by going into most bars. And that's a risk many of us are willing to assume.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

bhsince87 wrote:What if the guest slips and conks their head on a coffee table?

All of that has likely happened.
bhsince87 wrote:My first thought is that the host (couch owner) is opening themself up to all sorts of liability issues.
I've never heard of any sort of lawsuit or extortion. Quite frankly, I think it is unlikely. Like I said, it isn't about money. It is about the social experience.

Some people may see it has too much risk. It isn't for everyone. I find it very enjoyable.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

We would never do this. Risk vs. reward. Plus we have money for nice hotels.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

bhsince87 wrote:My first thought is that the host (couch owner) is opening themself up to all sorts of liability issues.

What if the guest slips and conks their head on a coffee table?

But, whatever. Knock yourselves out! (But not literally! :) )

You do what you do when that happens to anyone who happens to be a guest in your home. Your best friend can sue you when they slip on the ice and impale themselves on that piece of rebar outside your home much easier than a German tourist. And because CouchSurfing isn't a 'business' like AirBnB, you should have no greater trouble getting your home/renter's insurance to pay up in the friend vs. German case.

Disclosure: I have a friend/ex-co-worker who couchsurfed and wrote a lot of their code to 'earn' his extended stays.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Trader Joe wrote:We would never do this. Risk vs. reward. Plus we have money for nice hotels.
I can afford it too. CS'ing is very rewarding.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

investor1 wrote:
bhsince87 wrote:What if the guest slips and conks their head on a coffee table?

All of that has likely happened.
I've never heard of any sort of lawsuit or extortion. Quite frankly, I think it is unlikely. Like I said, it isn't about money. It is about the social experience.

Some people may see it has too much risk. It isn't for everyone. I find it very enjoyable.
Well, like I said, go for it! I understand the appeal. Just be sure your insurance is up to date.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

Trader Joe wrote:We would never do this. Risk vs. reward. Plus we have money for nice hotels.
It's all in what you want out of your travels. CS is not just about saving money. Its about getting on the local scene and seeing/experiencing more than just the beaten path tourist traps.

On the other hand, if you want a king bed, room service and a mani/pedi at the spa, settle for no less than the best hotel your money can buy.
corner559

Post by corner559 »

I've never tried it myself but know many people who've both hosted and stayed at places through the site, and no one I know has ever had a problem. The site is very good at vetting participants through reviews, so it tends to weed out the bad apples pretty quickly. If I had the space, I'd probably host people myself just for fun.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

I joined the Couchsurfing community when I first moved to Tokyo because I didn't know a soul. It wasn't in a surfing/hosting capacity, that came later, but more of a way to meet other like-minded people, both locals and expats. There are some fixed weekly/monthly gatherings that I'd go to and it was a great way of meeting people. Most of my friends now are friends or friends of friends that I met through that network. And now when I travel I always check out the Couchsurfing page of the place I'm going to watch out for any community events that might coincide with my trip.

I have never surfed but played host for as long as I able to i.e. when I had an apartment with enough room to host people.

I didn't really have a criteria for hosting people; as long as your profile didn't say you had killed somebody and I was available to host on the days requested, I'd let you stay. On average most people only requested to stay for 2-3 nights.

Some people just treated it like saving money by not staying at a hotel, and had no particular interest in hanging out with me. Which is cool, I'm also usually busy with work and not home a lot especially during the week, so was limited in how much active hosting I could do. While if it was a weekend I would go out with them on occasion and include them in whatever plans I had.

I never really had any bad experiences. Just a couple of occasions when I was a bit annoyed:
-I came home one day to find a surfer who I wasn't expecting until later already sitting in my living room and making himself at home, as he arrived in advance of the time he told me. Another surfer staying with me who was leaving that day had let him in. Not a huge deal but if your plans change it's common courtesy to let your host know.
-One surfer whenever I'd come home would always be in my bedroom using my computer for internet access. He was a bit of a weirdo in general as it seemed he just stayed indoors all day, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of traveling.
-And one couple who stayed with me who were getting intimate in my living room when I came home. Which is completely fine but at least lock the door or put up a sign or something. They left in a hurry, quite embarrassed.

Some people would buy me dinner, or cook for me, or bring me souvenirs from their home country, as an expression of gratitude. I always thought those were kind gestures though I never expected anything in return. As long as they kept the place clean I had no issues.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

I need to do a better job of attending CS'ing events both at home and while traveling. Numerous posts on this thread have reminded me that I am missing out.
subd3v

Post by subd3v »

I hosted thirty some times while living on a popular cycle route a few years ago. Of the people who surfed on my couch 60% or so were cyclists and the rest arrived in cars. Like d0gerz my worst experience was mild annoyance with most surfers being very interesting people. The big benefit for me was the motivation to show people the sights of my area that I didn't visit as frequently as I should. Many times we would end up making a big dinner and having a nice meal while getting to know each other.

In the summer I would host a few times a month and in the winter it would reduce to maybe one surfer every few months. I would always check the comments other people had left for surfers to weed out people who had yet to vetted or who had bad reviews. This likely led to me hosting so many great people and only one who was mildly annoying. On average the group size was 2 people but I had a lot of solos people and one group as large as 5.
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

I've hosted couch surfers approximately a dozen times. Always a good experience. Most are great about helping in the kitchen and cleaning up after themselves. Hosts and surfers both benefit from the references of previous surfing experiences on the Couchsurfing website.

The only negative I've experienced has been people who cancel plans shortly before their scheduled arrival, after I've turned down other surfers because the beds were booked.

I'm a little fussy about who I'll accept as a surfer, because I want to learn something from the experience. The twenty-something who says they 'just want to hang out' doesn't offer much to me. My preference has evolved to prefer couples, or a few travelers at a time, instead of solo travelers because I am in a rural environment and they are better able to entertain themselves without me if I'm busy.

At my seaside location in Fiji, most surfers are budget travelers from Europe, Aussies, Kiwis, Japan and North Americans.

I'd recommend couch surfing to meet interesting people, but it's not for everyone.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I've only heard of this from all the horror stories in the news over the years (especially for females staying with males....). I'm surprised it still goes on.....but then again - I still occasionally see hitch-hikers out there.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

I'm gonna add more later but the OP references another post related to this. It would be nice if they posted a link?
Pale Blue Dot
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

DaftInvestor wrote:I've only heard of this from all the horror stories in the news over the years (especially for females staying with males....). I'm surprised it still goes on.....but then again - I still occasionally see hitch-hikers out there.
Family from England was visiting and we took them to Yosemite. In their guide book, one of the Items mentioned about the place was of a serial killer that stalked the trails back in the 1980s (apprehended and now in prison). I was amazed that of all the things a guide book might say about Yosemite that it would pick a 30 year-old crime story.

That is how I would view the "horror" stories about couchsurfing (or hitch hiking, for that matter). I have never had anything close to a threatening experience in over 10 years of couchsurfing on 3 continents. In fact, many of my memorable interactions with people have come as a result.

I'm surprised that more Airbnb "horror" stories aren't published under pressure from local hotels!
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

4nursebee wrote:I'm gonna add more later but the OP references another post related to this. It would be nice if they posted a link?
This one: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 6#p2219056
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Raybo wrote:
That is how I would view the "horror" stories about couchsurfing (or hitch hiking, for that matter). I have never had anything close to a threatening experience in over 10 years of couchsurfing on 3 continents. In fact, many of my memorable interactions with people have come as a result.
The risk is up to you - a lot of the stories come from respected publications/journalists (just google "couchsurfing incident" or "couchsurfing rape" , etc.). For me - I'm more comfortable in a locked hotel room at a reputable global brand.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

DaftInvestor wrote:
Raybo wrote:
The risk is up to you - a lot of the stories come from respected publications/journalists (just google "couchsurfing incident" or "couchsurfing rape" , etc.). For me - I'm more comfortable in a locked hotel room at a reputable global brand.
I looked up "couchsurfing incident" and "couchsurfing rape" on google and see a number of reports of a single rape that occurred in Leeds (I didn't go beyond the first page on both). I was much more concerned about the links on the "hotel rape" search.

As you say, the risk is up to you. But, one thing I don't worry about with couchsurfing is credit card theft!
fposte

Post by fposte »

DaftInvestor wrote:
You can find similar stories about hotel rooms at reputable global brands if you search for "hotel rape."

This thread suggests to me that people are mistaking corporate polish for safety at hotels.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I wanted to check out couchsurfing events in Washington, DC, but I could not do it unless I had established a login using either Facebook or email. On one hand, it's a demonstration of couchsurfing's concern about their member identities, which is great. On the other hand, I'd like to get my toes wet before diving in (surfing in?).

I slightly prefer to use my email, because that's how I'll be corresponding with the others. But the advantage of linking to Facebook is that it describes who I am and could make me an interesting company for potential couch owners.

Are there important considerations I should be aware of before signing up?

Thank you,
Victoria
juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

VictoriaF wrote:I wanted to check out couchsurfing events in Washington, DC, but I could not do it unless I had established a login using either Facebook or email. On one hand, it's a demonstration of couchsurfing's concern about their member identities, which is great. On the other hand, I'd like to get my toes wet before diving in (surfing in?).

I slightly prefer to use my email, because that's how I'll be corresponding with the others. But the advantage of linking to Facebook is that it describes who I am and could make me an interesting company for potential couch owners.

Thank you,
Victoria

I haven't had a problem using my Facebook, but if you have doubts about linking FB, it's not a big deal. A complete, coherent, well-thought-out profile with pictures other than bathroom selfies is more important. Attend some local meetups and events in your area to meet a few people, make friends, and get some references going.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Raybo wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Raybo wrote:
I looked up "couchsurfing incident" and "couchsurfing rape" on google and see a number of reports of a single rape that occurred in Leeds (I didn't go beyond the first page on both). I was much more concerned about the links on the "hotel rape" search.

As you say, the risk is up to you. But, one thing I don't worry about with couchsurfing is credit card theft!
It has definetly happened. The wikipedia entry for CS lists multiple incidences. I have read profiles while looking for a host where people were accused of rape. There are definetly people that use the website as a dating service too, well I guess more like a one night stand service if that's a thing. Some people call them crotch surfers.

Like I said before, you can usually weed out the bad ones by sticking to people with a lot of good references.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

juggernaut wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I wanted to check out couchsurfing events in Washington, DC, but I could not do it unless I had established a login using either Facebook or email. On one hand, it's a demonstration of couchsurfing's concern about their member identities, which is great. On the other hand, I'd like to get my toes wet before diving in (surfing in?).

Thank you,
Victoria

I haven't had a problem using my Facebook, but if you have doubts about linking FB, it's not a big deal. A complete, coherent, well-thought-out profile with pictures other than bathroom selfies is more important. Attend some local meetups and events in your area to meet a few people, make friends, and get some references going.
Can I create a CS profile using my email, attend some local events, and then post pictures? Is there the minimum requirement for the profile information? Once I start participating in CS, it won't be a big deal, but I don't want to go all the way until I know what I am getting into.

Victoria
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Thank you,
Victoria
I use email. The only note I have for linking your FB profile is to remember to fill out your CS'ing profile. A lot of hosts are not going to want to go through your FB profile to try to get a sense of who you are. CS'ing is better designed for that while FB is better for communicating with people.

I guess keep in mind the CS'ing is a private for profit company which means they are likely selling our data to someone. Read the terms of service if you care to.