Hyundai vs. Toyota

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anonenigma

Hyundai vs. Toyota

Post by anonenigma »

My Camry is 15 years old and the Check Engine light has been on for the past few months. This is not generally a problem, but I won't pass the required smog check unless I spend some money to get it turned off. It cost me a few hundred dollars two years ago to accomplish that - annoying how it's not possible to determine precisely what's wrong.

It may just be time to buy a new car. I'm 6'5", so headroom is a key consideration. I'm thinking either another Camry or a Hyundai Sonata (or possibly Elantra). I like the idea of the Hynudai ten year warranty.

It seems like the backup camera is a nice feature, but I don't see that it is standard equipment in the base model of either car. Can anyone comment on which car has better implementation of this feature, as the display is no doubt used for other purposes (audio, phone, gauges?) as well.

Finally, how does one get the best price? Costco? Another buying service? I'd pay cash unless there was an amazing deal on financing.

Thanks in advance.
flyingaway

Re: Hyundai vs. Toyota

Post by flyingaway »

Backup camera will be a REQUIRED thing in all cars sold in the U.S. in 2015 or 2016.
Topic Author
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

flyingaway wrote:Backup camera will be a REQUIRED thing in all cars sold in the U.S. in 2015 or 2016.
By May, 2018. Can't wait that long.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/autos/r ... index.html
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

The Hyundai warranty is a promise to fix problems for 10 years. However a Toyota is not likely to need much in the way of service for the same 10 years.

Free service is a bad deal if you need to get things fixed often. Even if it's "free" it costs your time. Personally I would pay a modest premium for Toyota, even given their recent slip-ups.

I do recommend paying extra for the back-up camera. I don't have one but I wish I did.
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

My husband is also tall. He felt cramped in the Camry, spacious in the Hyundai Sonata.

You get more features with Hyundai for less cost than Toyota.

We have Toyotas and a Hyundai, the Hyundai keyless entry is much smarter such as it knows when you are by the trunk, or on the passenger side.

Only time will tell if the Hyundai holds up in the long term. I see them on the road more and more.

lafder
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

You can always install aftermarket camera if you already bought your car without it. The latest camry also has keyless entry and recognizes if you are close to the trunk and your keys are on you. I like Toyotas generally for their fuel efficiency.
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

The latest 2015 Hyundai Sonata is a complete redesign. I'd be wary on buying any new car in the first model year while they work out the bugs. For what it's worth, I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata in the first year of the last redesign and while I initially loved the car some worrisome issues have popped up. First of all, a lot of recalls that are annoying. It seems like I've had at least 5 major recalls in the time I've owned the car. I've also had a few warranty repairs done on the car. Radiator leak (serious) that was the result of a sealant problem at the manufacture and 2 separate issues with the push start. They were all fixed free of charged but the vaulted 10 year warranty only covers engine and transmission. The bumper to bumper is 5 years / 60k miles. Still better than other manufacturers 3 years / 36 months but I'm concerned what's going to happen after I hit 60,000 miles.

If you are considering the Sonata, I'd look at the old generation 2014. You'll probably get a good deal on that too.
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

Any reason you are not looking at the Accord? Interior room is very nice, and by eschewing the more popular "curvy" designs of cars these days in favor of a more "boxy" look, I feel like the car has very good visibility and also ergonomics. I have headroom to spare (although no sunroof in my model). Backup camera is standard even in the base model (which is what I just purchased), and I feel like it is implemented well with a fairly large screen.

Between Hyundai and Toyota, I'd go Camry. Camry has so far declined to implement some of the "newer" technologies their rivals have for the powertrain -such as direct injection or a CVT - but I feel like ultimately that favors well for reliability. Quite simply, there is no family sedan that is going to give you a more proven and reliable powertrain than the Camry right now.

EDIT: Also, if you are worried about the warranty, I know at least for Honda you can buy a factory extended warranty for I think up to 8 years 84000 miles? And if you shop around a bit it wasn't too expensive (I think $1500 is the quotes I'm seeing for my Accord). I'm guessing you can get something similar for a Camry. I know this will add to the price, but I think it will be offset by the lower operating costs of a Toyota.
Bonhomie

Post by Bonhomie »

We just bought a 2014 Toyota Camry for my wife after looking at the Elantra and Sonata. Elantra felt cheap on the inside and dinky when accelerating. The used Sonata they showed us drove better but I didn't like the interior dash design.
Ended up buying a Camry. Very satisfied. Drives smooth, decent acceleration for V4. May not have all the bells and whistles or the extended warranty, but like others said, it has the Toyota track record. And for what it's worth I'm 6'1" and do not feel cramped.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

We own the old gen sonata and just rented a 2014 Camry and drove it almost 2k miles. I was impressed with Camry all around, however it is 3 years newer than our sonata. At the time bang for the buck the sonata was the better option, and after 60k miles we are still happy with it.
Ged

Post by Ged »

anonenigma wrote:My Camry is 15 years old and the Check Engine light has been on for the past few months. This is not generally a problem, but I won't pass the required smog check unless I spend some money to get it turned off. It cost me a few hundred dollars two years ago to accomplish that - annoying how it's not possible to determine precisely what's wrong.
I found this to be annoying enough for me to purchase a code reader. They can be had for $25. Or you might have a friend who has one. It might provide some further information as to what is wrong.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Ged wrote:
anonenigma wrote:My Camry is 15 years old and the Check Engine light has been on for the past few months. This is not generally a problem, but I won't pass the required smog check unless I spend some money to get it turned off. It cost me a few hundred dollars two years ago to accomplish that - annoying how it's not possible to determine precisely what's wrong.
I found this to be annoying enough for me to purchase a code reader. They can be had for $25. Or you might have a friend who has one. It might provide some further information as to what is wrong.
Not always, but sometimes, the codes can be intermittent. If the gas cap isn't closed tight, it can trigger a code and light. The code doesn't always point at the problem so interpret it with caution. In any case, if you reset the code and it doesn't come back, don't worry about it.
AdamFist

Post by AdamFist »

OP - I'm 5'6" tall and I feel cramped in a 2012 Elantra; the rear visibility is limited. Given your height, I think it's best to consider Accord/Camry/Sonata/Altima in the sedan category. A backup camera is great to have but I think the best feature for you is to find a vehicle with great all around visibility - the current gen (2014/2015) Subaru Forester comes to mind. You may also want to consider a RAV4.

Best of luck in your decision,
Adam
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

I'd stay away from Hyundai/Kia Corps. You need to read and understand the 10 year warrant,y in my opinion its a selling point. I worked at a Kia dealer (Hyundai Motor Company owns a large part of Kia) they also have a 10 year warranty that is a joke, at least thats what I noticed in the brief time working there. I will never own a Hyundai Corps. car product. This was during 2009-early 2010 when I worked at the dealer. In my opinion to many other brands to look at and buy. Maybe they will get better with more market shares in the USA but I wouldn't touch one.
"Gonna Make It"
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Do your research. I've heard for years that Hyundai will fight you if you attempt to use their warrantee. I did a quick search and here's an example:

http://www.seedebtrun.com/2012/10/ameri ... ndai.html/
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

I bought a 2009 Sonata and have been very pleased. We had a small warranty issue and it was fixed without any hassle at all. At the time we purchased the Sonata I felt it was a much better bargain than the Camry/Accord although the Sonata does not hold its value as well. This did not matter to me as I intend to drive it for a very long time.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have driven Toyotas, mostly Camrys, for the past 25 years. We bought a 2008 Sonata new because it appeared to be as nice as a Camry, it was cheaper, no interest loan, and longer warranty. This was my wife's car and she hated it from day 1. It was more noisy than my 2004 Camry, did not ride as nice and was cheaper looking. We have not traded or sold one of our cars in a very long time with less than 150k miles, but we traded the Sonata for a Toyota Avalon (used) after 2 years of use. It was not a bad car, but it was definitely inferior to a Camry. The Hyundais may have improved since 2008 but I am sticking with Toyota. BTW - I replaced my 2004 Camry with a 2014 Hybrid Camry about 10 months ago. It gives great gas mileage, 42 mpg, but ironically it does not drive as well as my 2004 Camry either.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Do your research. I've heard for years that Hyundai will fight you if you attempt to use their warrantee. I did a quick search and here's an example:

http://www.seedebtrun.com/2012/10/ameri ... ndai.html/
Used my warranty on my 2013 Sonata a couple of weeks ago, no fighting or drama involved :happy
Topic Author
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

inbox788 wrote:
Ged wrote:
Not always, but sometimes, the codes can be intermittent. If the gas cap isn't closed tight, it can trigger a code and light. The code doesn't always point at the problem so interpret it with caution. In any case, if you reset the code and it doesn't come back, don't worry about it.
As I understand it, the code reader points to the system that is generating the problem - in my case the emissions system. It doesn't give more specific information, and there were three potential sources of the problem. My mechanic said there was no way to know which one it was except to replace the component, so he began with the most likely and cheapest. That didn't do the job, and he ended u p replacing all three before the light went off. We also replaced the gas cap, to no avail.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Anonenigma,
The check engine light of my wife's 2001 Lexus ES300 started coming on intermittently and then constantly a few weeks ago. Fortunately we have a local repair shop owned and operated by a former Lexus Certified Master Mechanic. He specializes in the Lexus and Toyota brands and was immediately able to determine that the engine control module and one of three air fuel ratio (aka oxygen sensor) sensors had gone bad. It was fairly expensive to repair (the two parts were $1,200) but my wife loves the car and it only has 64,000 miles on it.

Have spent only a total of $6,400 on that car in thirteen and a half years and that includes everything except gasoline. Also includes a new timing belt replaced at twelve years (based on age rather than the 105,000 mileage) done as a preventative measure. I expect she will drive the car another thirteen years as she has absolutely refused all offers to sell it to three different Lexus mechanics all whom say the car is in pristine condition. I have offered numerous times to buy her a new model but she refuses.
Tom D.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Consumer reports gave the Honda Accord a score of 90, Hyundai Sonata a score of 89 and Camry a score of 88. All were 4-cyl.

However, the Camry Hybrid scored a 93 and the Camry XLE (V6) scored a 92.
midareff

Post by midareff »

As far as the check engine light.... disconnect one battery lead and count to ten, then reconnect. That should reset sensor causing the light to be on. Whether or not it comes back on, or how long it stays off if there is an issue can vary. .. and it just might vary by how much fuel is in the tank.
dognose

Post by dognose »

My wife used to own a Hyundai (an Azera), and it was by far the worst car we've ever owned. It did fine for the first year, but after that we encountered a long series of quality issues. For example, one day the driver's side exterior mirror simply fell off while my wife was driving down the road. The dealer's response? "It happens." Later, the sunroof (moonroof?) mysteriously opened on its own (we never used it), and then it wouldn't close. Took the dealer two weeks to fix this problem, and then the dealer advised us to never try to use the sunroof again. Another time, part of the muffler fell off onto the street (car had 9,000 miles on it at the time). Another time, the transmission locked in the park position when my wife was shopping at the mall. Car had to be towed to the dealership. Oh, and the car needed a new battery every single year, for reasons that the dealer never could figure out. Finally, due to an air bag defect, the dashboard cracked in half, which apparently was common with this year's Azera (a 2007 model). Perhaps Hyundai has improved a lot since we owned the Azera (I sure hope so), but we will never get near a Hyundai again. I literally would never drive one if someone gave me one for free (and don't even ask my wife). There is a reason these guys have a 10-year warranty. BTW, my wife now drives a Toyota Avalon, which has had not a single problem - - not one - - in the four years we've owned it.
Ged

Post by Ged »

inbox788 wrote:
Ged wrote: I found this to be annoying enough for me to purchase a code reader. They can be had for $25. Or you might have a friend who has one. It might provide some further information as to what is wrong.
Yes, codes can be triggered by multiple conditions. However having a reader really does help. For example I used my reader once on my son's Corolla. The code indicated an air-fuel mix problem. Could be a few different issues to cause it. I went online and the consensus was that the most likely cause for that code on that model is a intake manifold gasket leak. I replaced the gasket myself. Fixed.

The nice thing about that job was the parts (new gasket) for it are cheap and the labor is the expensive part. So by doing the work myself I saved several hundred dollars.
blink32

Post by blink32 »

anonenigma wrote: As I understand it, the code reader points to the system that is generating the problem - in my case the emissions system.
Occasionally this is true. But it's more specific than "emissions system". It will always point to a smaller sub-set of a system if not the exact problem. And it depends on the quality of the reader. A $25 scanner will give a generic OBD-II code description that is the same across all makes and models. A $900 scanner from the manufacturer of your vehicle will not only give you the code, it will give you a code specific to your make and model and also run diagnostic tests that will determine which part is faulty if the code points to a generic "system".
anonenigma wrote:My mechanic said there was no way to know which one it was except to replace the component, so he began with the most likely and cheapest.
You need a new mechanic because he's feeding you a line of bull. Buy a new car, don't buy, I won't comment on that as it's really a personal choice. But all major auto manufacturers publish a Factory Service Manual with every single DTC OBD code listed that is applicable to the vehicle along with troubleshooting procedures for it to determine/verify the failed component. More often than not today's mechanics, even the "good" ones, narrow an issue down to a system then simply start replacing parts as it's faster for them and more lucrative since they can charge a customer 150-200% on parts costs and book rate for the labor which they can always do in less time. They fix the problem and move on to the next income stream, then when it doesn't work you have to go back again. Instead of picking up the FSM for the vehicle and doing the research and following the manual troubleshooting steps or they can invest in the OEM tool I mentioned above that actually pinpoints the problem. I have used FSM's extensively on Nissan, Ford and Toyota products.

As an aside you can go to any automotive parts store and they should read the code and give it to you for free if you felt like researching it yourself.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

If you have an AutoZone nearby, you can have them read the code for free and they'll give you a little printout with the most likely causes in order. I don't always tackle the problem in that order though, as sometimes it is better to go from cheap to expensive (hey, if spark plugs can be a problem they only cost a few bucks and 20 minutes of my time to replace).
bdpb

Post by bdpb »

mathwhiz wrote:The latest 2015 Hyundai Sonata is a complete redesign. I'd be wary on buying any new car in the first model year while they work out the bugs. For what it's worth, I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata in the first year of the last redesign and while I initially loved the car some worrisome issues have popped up. First of all, a lot of recalls that are annoying. It seems like I've had at least 5 major recalls in the time I've owned the car. I've also had a few warranty repairs done on the car. Radiator leak (serious) that was the result of a sealant problem at the manufacture and 2 separate issues with the push start. They were all fixed free of charged but the vaulted 10 year warranty only covers engine and transmission. The bumper to bumper is 5 years / 60k miles. Still better than other manufacturers 3 years / 36 months but I'm concerned what's going to happen after I hit 60,000 miles.

If you are considering the Sonata, I'd look at the old generation 2014. You'll probably get a good deal on that too.
In the same situation with a 2011 Sonata. Hate it.

Also considering buying a new car. It definitely won't be a Hyundai product. I currently own the 2011 Sonata and a 2002 Camry w/ 135k miles. I'm seriously considering dumping the Sonata and replacing it with the new car even though it's the 135k miles on the Camry that stimulated the new car search.

You'll find other parts wear out faster, too. Never replaced a battery or tires earlier than I have in the Sonata.

Seems like Hyundai produces products the same way software is produced now days. Ship it, we'll fix it later.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

countofmc wrote: EDIT: Also, if you are worried about the warranty, I know at least for Honda you can buy a factory extended warranty for I think up to 8 years 84000 miles? And if you shop around a bit it wasn't too expensive (I think $1500 is the quotes I'm seeing for my Accord).
I have somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 miles clocked in on Hondas between 1984 and now. I don't recall ever requiring anything beyond routine maintenance in my first 84,000 miles on any of them. Maybe an occasional brake job or some such thing, and I don't know if that sort of thing would even be covered. IMHO, I'd rather put $1500 on my favorite penny stock than into an extended warranty....I think I would have much better odds of winning.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

bdpb wrote:
mathwhiz wrote:The latest 2015 Hyundai Sonata is a complete redesign. I'd be wary on buying any new car in the first model year while they work out the bugs. For what it's worth, I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata in the first year of the last redesign and while I initially loved the car some worrisome issues have popped up. First of all, a lot of recalls that are annoying. It seems like I've had at least 5 major recalls in the time I've owned the car. I've also had a few warranty repairs done on the car. Radiator leak (serious) that was the result of a sealant problem at the manufacture and 2 separate issues with the push start. They were all fixed free of charged but the vaulted 10 year warranty only covers engine and transmission. The bumper to bumper is 5 years / 60k miles. Still better than other manufacturers 3 years / 36 months but I'm concerned what's going to happen after I hit 60,000 miles.

In the same situation with a 2011 Sonata. Hate it.

Also considering buying a new car. It definitely won't be a Hyundai product. I currently own the 2011 Sonata and a 2002 Camry w/ 135k miles. I'm seriously considering dumping the Sonata and replacing it with the new car even though it's the 135k miles on the Camry that stimulated the new car search.

You'll find other parts wear out faster, too. Never replaced a battery or tires earlier than I have in the Sonata.

Seems like Hyundai produces products the same way software is produced now days. Ship it, we'll fix it later.
Wow, I can't believe all the hate on sonatas here. In almost 70k we haven't done anything other than scheduled maintenance. We originally looked at camrys but preferred the styling and ride of the sonata more.
bdpb

Post by bdpb »

poker27 wrote: Wow, I can't believe all the hate on sonatas here. In almost 70k we haven't done anything other than scheduled maintenance. We originally looked at camrys but preferred the styling and ride of the sonata more.
What model year? 70k seems like maybe pre-2011.

You're pretty lucky if you never had the push start problem. It was recalled twice for the same problem.

There is also a gear shift problem that was recalled. The gear shift can be moved to park and the car may still be in a moving gear. I've had the recall work done but I'm not convinced the problem still doesn't exist.
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

If you really don't know which car is more reliable and longer lasting just look at the resale values of Toyota vs Hyundai vehicles. The market does not lie. Inferior manufacturers try to lure you in by offering more gadgets and lower pricing; unfortunately you will pay later. I prefer to pay more now and save in the long run.

Buy a Toyota or Honda.

K.I.S.
wander

Post by wander »

I had bad experience with Hyundai in the early 90s so I am more leaning to Toyota, Honda or Nissan.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

2012 Sonata gls now with 64k miles
2013 Accent 4-dr hatchback with 44k miles
Base models with no gps, cameras. etc...

Running like a top.
sport

Post by sport »

midareff wrote:As far as the check engine light.... disconnect one battery lead and count to ten, then reconnect. That should reset sensor causing the light to be on. Whether or not it comes back on, or how long it stays off if there is an issue can vary. .. and it just might vary by how much fuel is in the tank.
If anyone decides to do this, be sure to disconnect the grounded battery lead (generally the negative one) and not the other one. This is a safety issue. If you disconnect the other connector, your wrench may touch some other part of the car at the same time. This will result in a shower of sparks and possibly an exploded battery. In any case, be sure to wear eye protection when working on a car battery. They seem harmless and inert, but there is a lot of stored energy there and they can be dangerous If mishandled. Similar cautions apply when removing, installing, charging, or jump starting a car battery.

Jeff ( a former battery engineer)
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Here's one of the cheap check engine light scanners:
http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Engine-Scan ... B000LEPT5G
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

poker27 wrote:Wow, I can't believe all the hate on sonatas here. In almost 70k we haven't done anything other than scheduled maintenance. We originally looked at camrys but preferred the styling and ride of the sonata more.
Poker's response is telling of car discussion tête-à-tête: the commentary is often small n, and anecdotal. I know someone who loved their Sonata ... and someone who hated it. Does that mean it's "average"? :P

True Delta (posting a CR competitor since I don't have my CR login here) reports relatively good results, save for 2006, with 2010/11 not excellent but better than average. If you don't know the site, take a gander. After reading CR only for 35+ years I've come to like having an alternative.

http://www.truedelta.com/Hyundai-Sonata/reliability-121

Disclaimer: we've only owned Hondas/Acuras, and haven't owned a car for 15 months.
Polymath.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Ged wrote:
Or just go to Auto zone parts store, they will hook up their code reader for free. I think O'Reilly does as well.

I have a Sonata, but I've never driven a Camry other than a test drive when I ended up with the Sonata. I felt like the Sonata had a quieter ride than the Camry.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
poker27

Post by poker27 »

bdpb wrote:
poker27 wrote: Wow, I can't believe all the hate on sonatas here. In almost 70k we haven't done anything other than scheduled maintenance. We originally looked at camrys but preferred the styling and ride of the sonata more.
What model year? 70k seems like maybe pre-2011.

You're pretty lucky if you never had the push start problem. It was recalled twice for the same problem.

There is also a gear shift problem that was recalled. The gear shift can be moved to park and the car may still be in a moving gear. I've had the recall work done but I'm not convinced the problem still doesn't exist.
2011. I vaguely remember having to do a recall, but cant think of any issues that we had because of it.
Topic Author
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

nordlead wrote:If you have an AutoZone nearby, you can have them read the code for free and they'll give you a little printout with the most likely causes in order. I don't always tackle the problem in that order though, as sometimes it is better to go from cheap to expensive (hey, if spark plugs can be a problem they only cost a few bucks and 20 minutes of my time to replace).
Unfortunately, Autozone doesn't provide that service here in California.
SarasotaJohn

Post by SarasotaJohn »

I believe the back up camera became standard in the 2014.5 version of the Camry so I'm sure some of them are still out there along with the 15's where it's standard as well. An early year 2014 would not have it standard.

Also, It's an I4 not a V4. Sorry pet peeve :happy
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

SarasotaJohn wrote:I believe the back up camera became standard in the 2014.5 version of the Camry so I'm sure some of them are still out there along with the 15's where it's standard as well. An early year 2014 would not have it standard.

Also, It's an I4 not a V4. Sorry pet peeve :happy
A backup camera is a great idea. That said, given that I have been driving since 1969 and don't recall ever hitting anything while backing up, I don't think I would want to pay much extra for it. It would be like paying for an automatic breathalyzer starter test if you always drive sober.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

protagonist wrote: A backup camera is a great idea. That said, given that I have been driving since 1969 and don't recall ever hitting anything while backing up, I don't think I would want to pay much extra for it. It would be like paying for an automatic breathalyzer starter test if you always drive sober.
My #1 happiness with the backup camera is parallel parking - I can get into really tight spots I would have driven past if not for the camera (or would have dinged a bumper trying). If you don't park in a city or other area where parallel parking is required - it can probably be skipped.
Johno

Post by Johno »

2009 Sonata, was mine is my son's now. We've had pretty good experience with it, recently a bad starter (only 46k miles in 5yrs, not a heavily used car) left him stranded and that's annoying. Another son had a slightly older Camry (07 maybe?), had a more loose feel to it in steering, gas pedal, ride, that I didn't like as much as the Sonata on a subjective basis, but it's basically two very similar cars in the objective categories. Per Consumer Reps AFAIK Hyundai fully overcame its past reliability problems as of around then, '09, that car was rated 'much above avg' reliability when I bought it, and Toyota was slipping a bit. But I notice recently in CR ratings Hyundai has fallen back to more like average reliability for most models, and Toyota is putting up good scores in reliability as it generally has for a long time.

On back up camera we have that on our Lexus SUV, live in an urban area, and after being used to it, I'd never get another car without one. It's definitely easier to parallel park that vehicle with the camera than Sonata without, despite the SUV being bigger. I'm looking forward to next car with the wider angle camera's, blind spot and forward collision warning, etc. I've had three accidents in 40 yrs of driving, two moderate severity in first 10 years driving, one parking lot tap in the last 30 years (would have to say all were at least partly my fault), but I still welcome tech help in reducing the probability further, especially as the reflexes and situational awareness decline.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I was in a similar situation 6 months ago. I ended up going with a used 2012 Prius C 2, and would definitely buy another one.

I test drove Sonatas, Corollas, Civics, and Mazda 3's, and kept coming back to the Prius C for my daily 60 mile round-trip commute.
cannondale

Post by cannondale »

I test drove the 2015 Sonata. The inside felt cheap. The other thing that I don't like about the I4 version is the acceleration lag when you step on the pedal. I pushed the pedal, started counting to 2, and then the engine kicked in. Couldn't get used to that lag.

I owned a 2004 Sonata. Drove it for 85K miles, nothing wrong with it except I had to keep changing light bulbs. Sold it off to Sis in law for a steal.

I now have a 2005 Toyota Highlander, 4 cylinder as well. Bought it used at around 75K miles, now at ~100K. Drove it cross country and it's performing like a champ. I also recently rented a Toyota Venza. Smooth acceleration, but the steering felt imprecise. I just don't like how Toyotas are tuned.

I ended up with a 2014 honda accord lx (base model) for something like $18,800 +TTY. I really like this car a lot. The wind noise is mostly gone until you hit around 65-70mph. Could be the crap OEM tires they installed with the car or the side mirror design. I read that you can solve this issue w/ a little tape on the side mirrors. Haven't tried that yet. Bluetooth and rear camera come even on the base model.

The steering is very precise--feels like BMW to me. I can take corners w/o having to worry about slamming into walls or careening off the road.

One gripe I have is that the OEM front speakers are crappy as the cones are made of paper. But you can easily upgrade these for $100.

Good luck with your purchase.
Last edited by cannondale on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AviN

Post by AviN »

In terms of reliability, surveys from JD Power and Consumer Reports find that Toyota is substantially more reliable:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-V ... elease.htm
http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA915411028.PDF