How long before disputing a charge on my Visa?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
McCharley

How long before disputing a charge on my Visa?

Post by McCharley »

I have had the good fortune of never having had to dispute a charge on my credit card. :happy

But about a week ago I ordered a borescope from Toolbarn.com. They promptly charged my credit card and I've heard nothing since.

Amazon has spoiled me, I think, with fast shipping and constant updates. So I got nervous and looked at online reviews of Toolbarn -- really bad. I shoulda done that first. :oops:

They may pull through and be fine, and I'd definitely contact them before trying to rescind a charge, but I was wondering how long is too long to wait if this becomes the only option? :confused
Johm221122

Re: How long before disputing a charge on my Visa?

Post by Johm221122 »

I would call vendor and ask for update on status of order.If not satisfied I'd contact CC company after a month of date of order
Here is post of similar situation of bad service

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... redit+card
John
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Call your credit card company and ask how long you have to dispute a charge.

A friend of mine had this problem and the seller strung him along until the timeframe expired to dispute the charge.

I believe it was 90 days but this was a long time ago.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

One week is too soon to file a dispute IMHO. If they ground shipped from across the country (something you rarely experience with Amazon since they have warehouses all over the country), then it can take a week to get to you. It could take even longer if they used one of those hybrid ground shipping services where it only goes by FedEx/UPS to cross the country but is delivered to your house by US postal service.

A month is too long to wait, but 1-2 weeks is well within reason for a vendor that does not maintain a network of inventory and warehouses like Amazon does. See if you can get a tracking number from the vendor, or at the very least a shipment date, where it was shipped from, and what shipping company was used.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Mudpuppy wrote:One week is too soon to file a dispute IMHO. If they ground shipped from across the country (something you rarely experience with Amazon since they have warehouses all over the country), then it can take a week to get to you. It could take even longer if they used one of those hybrid ground shipping services where it only goes by FedEx/UPS to cross the country but is delivered to your house by US postal service.

A month is too long to wait, but 1-2 weeks is well within reason for a vendor that does not maintain a network of inventory and warehouses like Amazon does. See if you can get a tracking number from the vendor, or at the very least a shipment date, where it was shipped from, and what shipping company was used.
I've ordered plenty of things that specifically say 4-6 weeks for delivery (not Walmart or amazon).Is there a time frame like this associated with order?

John
Ged

Post by Ged »

Charging a credit card before shipping is against both Visa and MC policies unless the customer explicitly agrees to it.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Mudpuppy wrote:One week is too soon to file a dispute IMHO. If they ground shipped from across the country (something you rarely experience with Amazon since they have warehouses all over the country), then it can take a week to get to you. It could take even longer if they used one of those hybrid ground shipping services where it only goes by FedEx/UPS to cross the country but is delivered to your house by US postal service.

Amazon routinely takes 2-3 weeks to ship my orders. I think they do this on purpose to customers who have not bought Prime. So I am buying from other places that do ship promptly more and more. Amazon is mostly for kindle books now.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:Amazon routinely takes 2-3 weeks to ship my orders. I think they do this on purpose to customers who have not bought Prime. So I am buying from other places that do ship promptly more and more. Amazon is mostly for kindle books now.
Maybe it is what you ordered or you ordered from someone else through Amazon. Amazon ships to me immediately and I'm not a Prime subscriber. I even do free shipping and it usually arrives before scheduled.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

McCharley wrote:They may pull through and be fine, and I'd definitely contact them before trying to rescind a charge, but I was wondering how long is too long to wait if this becomes the only option? :confused
If the billing cycle ends and the bill arrives at your door or your inbox, I'd dispute the charge at that time if the product has not been shipped.
ab80

Post by ab80 »

Ged wrote:Charging a credit card before shipping is against both Visa and MC policies unless the customer explicitly agrees to it.
I don't think it's that hard to force the customer to agree to this.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

StevieG72 wrote:Call your credit card company and ask how long you have to dispute a charge.

A friend of mine had this problem and the seller strung him along until the timeframe expired to dispute the charge.

I believe it was 90 days but this was a long time ago.
I had this very problem and got screwed. I don't remember how long it was, but don't wait too long.
BoxOfUpticks

Post by BoxOfUpticks »

The card issuer will likely ask you to try to work it out with the vendor, but it may not hurt getting on record expressing your concern.

In my experience, the cc company always advised me not to pay my bill in full if i plan to (or have) dispute(d) a charge, as doing so consents to the charges. My last experience disputing a charge was 10-15 years ago, so things may have changed since.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
IPer

Post by IPer »

Monday morning call and get status and tracking information on your order. If you agreed to a longer shippping term then inquire as to why they charged your card up front.
If you don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling tell them so and that you will dispute the charge, they should credit your card right away, or you can dispute it at that point with your
card company, assuming the product has not shipped and/or you cannot track it. At that point it will take some time to go through the process of your card company gathering information from the vendor and so forth but usually you will win. A week is long enough to wait without having any information about the shipping assuming you didn't leave anything out in the post. If I don't get shipping and order confirmation from a company right away I call them immediately, especially if there has been a charge on my card, perhaps their emails to you are sitting in your spam/junk folder?!
Read the Wiki Wiki !
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Ged wrote:Charging a credit card before shipping is against both Visa and MC policies unless the customer explicitly agrees to it.
There's no indication that the item wasn't shipped. I've had items take a week and a half to make it from Georgia to California by ground shipping in the recent past. I've also had vendors that don't email tracking numbers when they ship. If this vendor has done both (cross-country ground shipping and no tracking email), the order very well could be on its way to the OP.

But the OP should call the vendor and ask for a tracking number or basic shipping information as soon as the vendor's customer service line is open.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

mwm158 wrote:After I canceled prime, it started taking Amazon a week or two to ship items with their "super saver" shipping option. Before prime, I never remember it taking that long. At some point they changed things, and they do not get my business anymore.
Before I had Prime, I noticed this sort of delay more prominently with small electronics and other technology purchases, but rarely was shipping delayed by more than a week with household purchases or books.

When I called once after 10 days to ask why a laptop had not shipped, I was told that super saver orders are queued up until they can fill up a truck. I doubt that's true though, as I would think over the course of 10 days, they could stuff super saving shipments into the trucks with space left over after Prime orders.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

You should be able to dispute a charge once it is posted to your account. I would call the vender first and see what is happening. If you are not satisfied with the response, then contact your credit card company to challenge the charge. Also note you may have to do this in writing also.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Topic Author
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

UPDATE: they sent the boroscope, new and perfect. Half the Amazon price.

All of my suspicions were for nothing. ToolBarn delivered. :beer
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

McCharley wrote:UPDATE: they sent the boroscope, new and perfect. Half the Amazon price.

All of my suspicions were for nothing. ToolBarn delivered. :beer

Great, glad that is resolved.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Good to hear this. And thanks for teaching me a new word. :D
Hypersion

Post by Hypersion »

Federal law gives you 60 days from the statement day to file a dispute but most issuers give a much longer time frame then that.