Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RTR2006

Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

Post by RTR2006 »

I don't know if this topic has come up, but I must urge everyone reading this to find $15 and buy a Lodge (American made, still, after 100+ years) 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet if you don't already own one. We were turned on to cast iron skillet cooking by our son and man, is it a life-changer! The list never seems to stop growing of food I thought I knew and loved, until I tasted them cooked in a CIS. Mac n cheese, corn bread, and last night a chicken pot pie that was to die for!

Any CIS cooks out there want to share a recipe or two? My son owns all of his, but I am sure he'd be willing to share.

Here's to ya!

RTR
JDaniels

Re: Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

Post by JDaniels »

Agreed. We have the same brand and size as you. We use it all the time on our grill. Peppers and onions with chicken for fajitas are one of our favorites
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I love mine. I cook steaks and all my meat on it. I also like to fry veggies, including cabbage.
Topic Author
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

Gropes & Ray wrote: I cook steaks and all my meat on it.
Yes, I dare say he made us a steak on his skillet that was as good (not as thick, but as good) as a steak Florentine we had in Florence last year. Salt and a 600 degree cooking surface does wonders. Who knew??

:D
Kersten

Post by Kersten »

Where can you purchase one of these for $15.00?

I used to have a cast iron skillet but unfortunately, sold it prior to one of my many moves, years ago.

Now I only have a Swedish pancake cast iron skillet that I love....but would like to purchase the one you recommend.

Best place to purchase?

Thank you for your post.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

RTR2006 wrote:I don't know if this topic has come up, but I must urge everyone reading this to find $15 and buy a Lodge (American made, still, after 100+ years) 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet if you don't already own one. We were turned on to cast iron skillet cooking by our son and man, is it a life-changer! The list never seems to stop growing of food I thought I knew and loved, until I tasted them cooked in a CIS. Mac n cheese, corn bread, and last night a chicken pot pie that was to die for!

Any CIS cooks out there want to share a recipe or two? My son owns all of his, but I am sure he'd be willing to share.

Here's to ya!

RTR
RTR thanks for the post, I'm just coming on to the cooking scene and have started researching kitchen tools and I am interested in picking up a CIS as you call it. I'll take your recommendation and start with a Lodge 10.5" when I get a chance. I assume these are generally "pre-seasoned" skillets (since I just did a search for "pre-seasoned cast iron skillet" and the first link up was an Amazon link for a Lodge skillet)? Have you cooked an omelette over butter? Does it stick? I've come to master the "omelette flip" with my cheap T-fal teflon pan. I can do tri-fold, envelope, or full flip. I just made up those terms.

Joe
Topic Author
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

Kersten wrote:
Best place to purchase?

Thank you for your post.
You can find them at WalMart, Target, Amazon, Sur Le Table... the list goes on... We know people who have bought them from Goodwill Stores and thrift shops for a dollar who then just set them on a hot stove for a few minutes to burn off the cooties from previous owners...

Search Google....
Topic Author
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

JLJL wrote: Have you cooked an omelette over butter? Does it stick?
Joe
Hi Joe, I believe that once they're seasoned nothing really sticks to them, but I could be wrong. My son and wife are the cooks; I'm just sharing the wealth! Experiment...

:happy

RTR
HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf »

No recipes per se but wanted to support cast iron skillet cooking. I bought one pan a number of years ago and after using it once I went out and bought two more in different sizes. Just a month ago I bought a stove top plate that has a flattop on one size and grill pan surface on the other. Long story short..I like the cooking style.

I will also give a plug for cooking steak on a CIS. Stick the pan in the oven and pre-heat it as hot as your oven will go, once heated, move the pan to the stovetop at the highest setting, place your seasoned steak (rubbed with a bit of oil) in the pan and sear it on both sides for a minute or two, after searing move the steak and the pan back to the oven to finish (another couple of minutes a side). This will cook the steak to medium-medium rare depending on the thickness.

There are days where I prefer a steak cooked this way and passed on the gas grill and/or Big Green Egg.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

We use our cast iron skillet for almost everything. Love it and the thing is damn near indestructible.
emp2b3

Post by emp2b3 »

On one of Alton Brown's Good Eats episodes he suggested that it was cheapest to buy them in a hardware store.
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

RTR2006 wrote:I don't know if this topic has come up...
Here's to ya!
RTR
So guys how about some recipes?? I've got one of these sitting on my cabinet that I've never used (mom gave it to me). Particularly that Chicken pot pie recipe OP???
Thanks!!
jdb

Post by jdb »

Good Post. Not just the cast iron skillets, which are great, but also the Dutch ovens, I have five of different sizes, including the enamels, they are our go to cookware for Big Green Egg charcoal cooking, hardly ever use the house oven anymore. Lodge makes terrific cast iron cookware. Also a great cast iron wok. Only non Lodge is the Le Crueset very large goose Dutch oven which we use for our Christmas goose, would have bought Lodge if they made one that large. Highly recommend.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i wasn't looking for them, but i saw this at costco yesterday.

http://www.costco.com/Lodge-2-Pack-Cast ... 16102.html

i cook my steaks in them. and fajitas like someone else mentioned.
Topic Author
RTR2006

CIS Recipes

Post by RTR2006 »

No magic here; these are straight from the web, but they're amazing:

Mac N Cheese:

http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/07/cast-i ... nd-cheese/

Chicken pot pie: in reference:

http://www.metropulse.com/columns/wirel ... en-2007-09

The recipe is listed in "Chicken Pot Pie for Dummies" on page 96. I looked for the recipe online but after a brief search I believe it's not available online.

If you want to buy yourself a copy of the book (I'd recommend it), http://www.abebooks.com has several copies:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... mies&sts=t

RTR
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Ask your relatives if they have one they no longer use. Or friends.

You'd be surprised with how many people have one lying around that they never use and are more than happy to unload for free. I have 2, both of which were given to me without me even asking. I didn't use 'em for 2 years, then one day I wised up and WOW great for so many things. Does take a bit more maintenance in terms of having it seasoned, but it's almost trivial, and once you know how to do that, it's by far the most durable and most consistent performer in the kitchen. Even the best German nonstick cookware can't compare in terms of longevity.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

I have a Griswold and Wagner collection. They range in age from 1910 to around 1960 and are my favorite pieces of cookware. Got a #3, #5, #8 fryer, #8 skillet, and #10 skillet. All made in Erie, PA (Griswolds) or Sidney Ohio (Wagners) and made with impeccable craftsmanship.

The nice thing about the vintage ones is that they are a little less than half the weight of a Lodge. I own a Lodge that is 4.5 lbs and an equivalent 1920 era Wagner of mine is only 1.8 lb and a 1950 era Griswold is 2.5 lbs. They seemed to get heavier over the years because the thin ones may have been harder to manufacture. They are all smoother than the Lodges.

We use them daily. Had a couple Lodges until we discovered that you can buy vintage ones on ebay and restore them yourself. Mine ranged in cost from $15 to $40 but prices have gone up. The lighter weight is very nice. :happy
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

For those interested in restoring old cast iron, here is a $12 Wagner (1912 era) skillet I got.
Before: (completely nasty... from ebay)

After: (this is stripped down. they are grey prior to seasoning)
Last edited by oneleaf on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

FYI, Cooks Illustrated recommended seasoning cast iron with grapeseed oil. If they have been previously seasoned with inferior products, you can use an oven cleaner to remove.

I have a Lodge 12 inch and it was well seasoned new. I have no name brands and even after years they're not well seasoned; not sure if there's something different about Lodge, or I just got lucky with the first seasoning, or what. FWIW I did not try the grapeseed oil trick, since I don't have any lying around.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

I have a small collection of old cast iron cookware.

My go to is a vintage Wagner for almost everything. As someone mentioned above it is very lightweight, and the inside is almost as smooth as glass.

My gf has some Lodge items.. heavy, rough, and heavy. I'm sure the profit margin could still be baked into their cookware if they used a higher quality iron that could be cast thinner and lighter, and added that last machining step to smooth the roughness out.

Edit: This is interesting. I did a quick internet search on Wagner and apparently the "company" is still in business, and one can buy their cookware made in 2014 in the United States made with the original tooling using the same metal formulas as back in the day. And the prices really aren't high at all.

http://wagnerware.com/PLineCat.asp?Filter=PL&PLine=4
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

I take the grates off my Jenn-Air down draft stove grill and set a Lodge cast iron griddle over the grill element. Use it for pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns, etc.
Last edited by dumbbunny on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
jdb

Post by jdb »

Mingus wrote:I have a small collection of old cast iron cookware.

My go to is a vintage Wagner for almost everything. As someone mentioned above it is very lightweight, and the inside is almost as smooth as glass.

My gf has some Lodge items.. heavy, rough, and heavy. I'm sure the profit margin could still be baked into their cookware if they used a higher quality iron that could be cast thinner and lighter, and added that last machining step to smooth the roughness out.

Edit: This is interesting. I did a quick internet search on Wagner and apparently the "company" is still in business, and one can buy their cookware made in 2014 in the United States made with the original tooling using the same metal formulas as back in the day. And the prices really aren't high at all.

Thanks for the info about Wagner. Noticed on their website now owned by the "American Culinary Corporation". Wonder if they still make products in USA or outsourced to Asia, as I suspect, since now have "American" in their name (I'm getting cynical). Lodge cast iron products still made in Tennessee I believe. They are heavy, but that in my opinion is part of their charm.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Just got into cast iron cooking myself over the summer. I own the Lodge 8", 10.5" and 12" skillets and we use them on our Kamado Joe (essentially a Big Green Egg) at least once or twice a week.

Garlic, rosemary, and sea salt roasted new potatoes have become a weekly staple at our house ever since. Couldn't be any easier and are delicious!
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I love cast iron cooking. We have a Le Creuset cast iron skillet that lives on the stove top, and a Lodge griddle pan that gets used several times/week, mostly for pancake or french toast breakfasts, but stored in the range drawer.

I cook eggs in my cast iron almost every morning. I find one of those cheap plastic scrapers (they are about $1 in kitchen stores) works great for getting off any bits that stick (which is rare).

My favorite breakfast is to take whatever veg or potatoes are leftover from the previous night and heat it up in the skillet, maybe throw in some kale or fresh herbs, remove the leftovers to a plate. Cook an egg or two over easy and then serve on top of the crispy leftover veggies. Favorite veggies are cabbage, onions, beets, squash, cauliflower... yum!
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
teacher5

Post by teacher5 »

I have a collection of old Griswolds and Wagners. I also have two dutch ovens. I use them almost every day. The only other stovetop cookware I own is stainless. I use them on the stove, grill, and woodstove. One thing to mention to newbies with cast, let it cool slowly before washing. I have a 14 inch Wagner that got warped a bit years ago from cold water hit the hot pan. I still use it though, just a bit wobbly on the glass surface stove indoors.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

jdb wrote:
Mingus wrote:I have a small collection of old cast iron cookware.

Thanks for the info about Wagner. Noticed on their website now owned by the "American Culinary Corporation". Wonder if they still make products in USA or outsourced to Asia, as I suspect, since now have "American" in their name (I'm getting cynical). Lodge cast iron products still made in Tennessee I believe. They are heavy, but that in my opinion is part of their charm.
I don't think any Wagners have been made in the USA after the foundry shut down in 1999. I am not sure about this. There have been mixed reports regarding the post-1999 years with the American Culinary Corporation. I know they still had some old stock from the 70's to 80's.

Also, the older ones (dated 1910- around 1930) were of a special quality, being lighter and smoother than the later years. They all have a heat ring on the bottom as they were necessary for the stoves back in the day (the photo i posted above is a Wagner 1910's era which can still be had for cheap). I gave that one to my brother who uses it daily.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Also, don't forget cast iron has a health benefit - higher blood iron levels. I was borderline anemic for years, until I started using cast iron. Haven't had a problem since.

You also get bigger arm muscles :)
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
ML 59

Post by ML 59 »

Lodge is in the middle of a 3 phase foundry expansion to meet cookware demand.

Go Lodge! :happy
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Is it faster to cook in cast iron than aluminium?
I use aluminium(anodized) and stainless steel now. Can cast iron be used for broths/lentils-legumes roasts? (in addition to meat)

I miss the slight burnt parts of meat adding nice taste from my grandma days :)
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Abe

Post by Abe »

When I was coming up, we had a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet which is the #8 size. We used it for almost everything. The #8 is the standard; if you're only going to have one size, the #8 is what you want. I like the old ones the best, but the Lodge brand that you can find at Walmart is pretty good. You can find the old ones at yards sales and flea markets sometimes for around $5.00. Don't get the ones made in Korea, China or Taiwan because the metal is not as good. People collect Griswald and Wagner, but any old one made in USA is okay. If you buy used cast iron, you may have to clean and season it. This is how to remove rust and grease from cast iron:
Rust: Soak cast iron in vinegar and water in a plastic container. Remove excess with wire brush.
Grease: Soak cast iron in lye and water in a plastic container. Remove excess with wire brush.
To season cast iron: After cleaning, spray it with pam or rub on a light coat of crisco, then put it in the oven at about 350 degrees for about two hours; turn heat off and let cool in the oven. Repeat as necessary. All cast iron needs to be seasoned before use.
It's best not to wash cast iron with soap and water. If you do, be sure to get it good and dry after washing or it will rust. Have fun. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
Abe

Post by Abe »

jimday1982 wrote:Just got into cast iron cooking myself over the summer. I own the Lodge 8", 10.5" and 12" skillets and we use them on our Kamado Joe (essentially a Big Green Egg) at least once or twice a week.

Garlic, rosemary, and sea salt roasted new potatoes have become a weekly staple at our house ever since. Couldn't be any easier and are delicious!
jimday1982: Could you post the recipe for the roasted potatoes. Thanks.

Here is a recipe for Steak Fajitas
Classic Tex Mex, fajitas (pronounced fah-hee-tas) are typically made with grilled strips of skirt steak with onions and bell peppers, and served sizzling hot with fresh tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. You can make fajitas with steak or chicken, or even make it plain vegetarian. Here’s a quick and easy recipe for steak fajitas.

Steak Fajitas Recipe

Prep time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb of flank steak, skirt steak or carne asada
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections a half inch wide at widest point.
2-3 bell peppers of various colors, stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into strips
Salt

Marinade:

Juice of 1 lime
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems

Method

1 Mix all marinade ingredients. Coat the steak with the marinade and let it sit at room temperature for an hour, or longer in the fridge. Before you cook the meat, wipe off most of the marinade and sprinkle the steak with salt.

2 Set a large cast iron pan or griddle over high heat and let this heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the tablespoon of oil to the pan and let this heat up for 1 minute. Add the steak, frying on each side for 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. 3 minutes per side will yield approximately medium rare doneness for an average cut of flank steak. Carne asada and skirt steak will need less time. If the pan starts to smoke too much, reduce the heat to medium-high. You want the steak browned, not burned. Remove from pan and let sit, tented with foil, for 5 minutes.

3 Cook the vegetables while the meat is resting. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary, then add the onions and bell peppers. Let these sear for 1 minute before stirring, then stir every 90 seconds or so as the veggies sear. Cook for 5-6 minutes total.

4 Slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. If you slice the meat at an angle, you will be able to get your slices pretty thin. These cuts of steak are flavorful but can be a little tough, so thin slices will really help make it easier to eat.

5 Serve immediately with shredded cheese, salsa, shredded iceberg lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and warm flour tortillas. (Hint for warming tortillas - put in microwave over a paper towel for 20 seconds on high heat.)
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Abe wrote: jimday1982: Could you post the recipe for the roasted potatoes. Thanks.
Sure:

1. Coat the bottom of a cast iron pan with olive oil

2. Dice potatoes and place in pan

3. Plop in a tablespoon or so of mined garlic, a few turns of sea salt, and fresh rosemary

4. Cook at about 400F until done (I do this on a ceramic grill) - maybe 25 minutes or so

Enjoy!
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Abe wrote:This is how to remove rust and grease from cast iron:
Rust: Soak cast iron in vinegar and water in a plastic container. Remove excess with wire brush.
Grease: Soak cast iron in lye and water in a plastic container. Remove excess with wire brush.
There is a much easier method: Simply cover the affected portions of the cast iron in Coke (Coca-Cola) and let it sit anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours, depending on the severity of the rust and grease. The phosphoric acid in the Coke will clean the pan for you.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Cast iron cooking forum: http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/

You can damage the coating (olive oil in this case) by placing CIS on high-temp stove-top burner to dry after washing... and walking away... and forgetting it until next morning. :oops:

Needing to researched re-seasoning cast iron, found the favored oil was a drying oil: flaxseed oil.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

dratkinson wrote:Cast iron cooking forum: http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/

You can damage the coating (olive oil in this case) by placing CIS on high-temp stove-top burner to dry after washing... and walking away... and forgetting it until next morning. :oops:

Needing to researched re-seasoning cast iron, found the favored oil was a drying oil: flaxseed oil.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/
I would be wary of the sherycanter flaxseed oil method. I have tried olive oil, grapeseed, flax, crisco, canola, coconut oil on my pans. The only one that had terrible results (flaking and such) was the flaxseed oil. Funny enough, the flaxseed gave the best cosmetic quality (shiny and black after only a couple seasonings) but the worst cooking results. I tried it 3 times and followed the instructions perfectly, and regretted wasting so much time and a bottle of expensive flaxseed oil. If you read the Griswold and Wagner Society forums, the flaxseed method is consistently warned against. Good ol' Crisco actually works really well.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Random Poster wrote:
Abe wrote:This is how to remove rust and grease from cast iron:
There is a much easier method: Simply cover the affected portions of the cast iron in Coke (Coca-Cola) and let it sit anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours, depending on the severity of the rust and grease. The phosphoric acid in the Coke will clean the pan for you.
Thanks for the tip. We have been buying and reselling old cast iron for many years. As much as we go through, it would probably take a lot of coke, but I'll give it a try.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

newbie question here.

Can I just get a cast iron dutch oven instead? Couldn't I use the dutch oven the same way as the skillet? It seems more practical for me to get the dutch oven since it has a lid and it has higher walls to avoid splatter.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

ray.james wrote: Can cast iron be used for broths/lentils-legumes roasts? (in addition to meat)
The only thing you have to worry about is prolonged cooking of acidic foods (tomato sauce for example) because the liquid can react with the iron and discolor the food and give it metallic flavors.
jdb

Post by jdb »

fareastwarriors wrote:newbie question here.

Can I just get a cast iron dutch oven instead? Couldn't I use the dutch oven the same way as the skillet? It seems more practical for me to get the dutch oven since it has a lid and it has higher walls to avoid splatter.
Yes but better to get skillet with iron or glass cover for frying and dutch oven with lid for classic low and slow cooking or braising. A nice set of each from Lodge would last a lifetime. Edit: even better idea, do not need separate iron lid for skillet if get comparable size Dutch oven since can use the Dutch oven iron lid for skillet.
Matigas

Post by Matigas »

Cast Iron and lard, everything else is just a fad.
pingo

Post by pingo »

miles monroe wrote:i wasn't looking for them, but i saw this at costco yesterday.

Hmmm...Costco link says its Lodge cast iron skillets are made in China.
Last edited by pingo on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Abe wrote:
Random Poster wrote:
Abe wrote:We have been buying and reselling old cast iron for many years.
Do you mean buying cast iron cookware at garage sales and reselling elsewhere?
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

fareastwarriors wrote:newbie question here.

Lodge LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Combo Cooker, 3-Quart. Lid doubles as 10" skillet.

Amazon price: ~$40. Remember to use Amazon referral link in forum banner. If you have a Chase CC and wait until next month, you'll get 5% cash back.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
jdb

Post by jdb »

pingo wrote:
miles monroe wrote:i wasn't looking for them, but i saw this at costco yesterday.

That is disappointing if true. I know that their enamel cast iron made in China but understood that their regular cast iron made in Tennessee.
NightFall

Post by NightFall »

jdb wrote:
pingo wrote:

That is disappointing if true. I know that their enamel cast iron made in China but understood that their regular cast iron made in Tennessee.
The page says the skillets are made in the USA. The silicone mittens that come with it are made in China.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Peterjens wrote:
Abe wrote:
Random Poster wrote:
Abe wrote:We have been buying and reselling old cast iron for many years.
Do you mean buying cast iron cookware at garage sales and reselling elsewhere?
Yes
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Bought these in store yesterday. I had been looking at them for a while, but this thread finally convinced me they're worth it. My wife normally does the cooking, but I'll have to give her a hand with the weight of these!
TomBranson

Post by TomBranson »

dratkinson wrote:Lodge LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Combo Cooker, 3-Quart. Lid doubles as 10" skillet.
I own that combo actually, in addition to agreeing with all the great things already mentioned in the thread about Lodge and cast iron in general, this particular combo is a very nice setup and quite versatile. I'd recommend it.

Tom
Fifty50

Post by Fifty50 »

To see a great inventory of cast iron cookware, checkout your nearest Cabela's store.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Cast iron is great because you can go from rangetop to to oven/broiler and back depending on what you're making. And you can bring it camping for cooking directly on a wood fire without worrying. :beer