Where to find historical race data for specific zip code?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
misterno

Where to find historical race data for specific zip code?

Post by misterno »

I searched census.gov but they don't have it

Can you help me?
rayout

Re: Where to find historical race data for specific zip code

Post by rayout »

Try city-data.com

Just checked and it had 2000 and 2009 race data for my town.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

I checked city data all the time

but it only has the latest figures

there is no historical data

maybe it varies depending on the zipcode?

Mine is 77477
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I don't know of a public source of reliable census tract to zip code mapping data. It's available for purchase, though.

If you just want one zip code, here's a free approach that takes a bit of your time.

1. Determine current zip code boundaries (they change)
2. Use census site to determine which census tracts are inside the zip code boundaries. You'll need to decide how you're going to handle tracts that cross zip code boundaries.
3. Extract historical data for those census tracts from Census web site
4. Aggregate in tool like Excel.

S
fposte

Post by fposte »

How historical is historical? Are you going back pre-zip code, for instance?

That being said, this is a pretty standard reference librarian question. Give one a chat request/jingle.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

fposte wrote:How historical is historical? Are you going back pre-zip code, for instance?

That being said, this is a pretty standard reference librarian question. Give one a chat request/jingle.
I want to go back only 5-10 years

It does not have to be zipcode so city is fine
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

fposte wrote:How historical is historical? Are you going back pre-zip code, for instance?

You mean I can go to any library and find this info?
fposte

Post by fposte »

Census demographic data from 5-10 years ago? That's a piece of cake, if you've got a library with a reference librarian. You wouldn't even necessarily have to go into the library--you could just use online reference chat, if they have it, or call.

You've said that by town is okay--have you checked Wikipedia's entry for your town? They usually have a demographic breakdown. http://quickfacts.census.gov also has some historical stuff and might be able to get you the info you want if your town is included.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

fposte wrote:Census demographic data from 5-10 years ago? That's a piece of cake, if you've got a library with a reference librarian. You wouldn't even necessarily have to go into the library--you could just use online reference chat, if they have it, or call.

You've said that by town is okay--have you checked Wikipedia's entry for your town? They usually have a demographic breakdown. http://quickfacts.census.gov also has some historical stuff and might be able to get you the info you want if your town is included.
Thanks for the suggestion

I tried that online chat and he was not able to find more than what I can find myself

Maybe I should go to a physical location
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

Keep in mind that the census only happens every 10 years. So you can get data from 2000 and 2010. The American Community Survey (ACS) fills the gaps for the in-between years, and should get down to the level you need-- though data can sometime be hidden if it's too specific at a certain geography.

Also remember that zip codes are designed for mail delivery. Marketing companies use them for demographic analysis, but usually charge for the data. The basic level of census geography is the census tract, which can be anything from a square block to a square mile.

The Census Bureau has a fine web page (www.census.gov) with pretty good tools for poking around. Give it a look and see what you find.
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green

Post by 555 »

Not historical (it's from 2010) but this site has a map with this info
http://www.coopercenter.org/demographics/Racial-Dot-Map
Map here
http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/
rec7

Post by rec7 »

The census use to have race maps but I guess they removed them.
fposte

Post by fposte »

misterno wrote: I tried that online chat and he was not able to find more than what I can find myself
Oh, that's disappointing; I'm displeased with your reference librarian. It does look like the info is in the Census site, though, so if you poke around and mount the learning curve on the advanced search you should be able to find it.

Another possibility is calling your Chamber of Commerce or City Hall-type folks--they may well have such figures close at hand.
CABob

Post by CABob »

The Wikipedia has a lot of this type of information under a city's name which I usually find with a Google search. For example, go to Sacramento, CA, scroll down about half way and look for Demographics. Many of the Wikipedia listings for states have similar demographic information.
Bob
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

fposte wrote:
misterno wrote: I tried that online chat and he was not able to find more than what I can find myself
Oh, that's disappointing; I'm displeased with your reference librarian. It does look like the info is in the Census site, though, so if you poke around and mount the learning curve on the advanced search you should be able to find it.

Another possibility is calling your Chamber of Commerce or City Hall-type folks--they may well have such figures close at hand.
Thanks

Here is what the librarian told me

The population numbers are not actual counts they are just estimates. So I wonder how do they do the estimates if there is no actual count?

Basically what I am trying to do is to find out the change in black population in my zipcode in the last 10 years. census.gov or factfinder they posted estimates and not even numbers per year, these are just estimates per 5 years.

I will call chamber of commerce or city hall