Hamilton watches, worth the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
parsi1

Re: Hamilton watches, worth the money?

Post by parsi1 »

I don't know what is a Zenga suit, but WOW what you have in the picture is a beautiful watch. I don't mind having one.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

linenfort wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Apart from keeping people protected from the elements, the main purpose of the attire is to signal one's position, interests, disinterests, conformity, idiosyncrasies, wealth, etc. And the signals must be congruent.
Are you secretly Umberto Eco? :wink:
I am secretly Nassim Taleb who is secretly Umberto Eco.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
chaz

Post by chaz »

Back on topic, consider an Omega. Worth the cost.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind »

Does anyone else find it a bit amusing the mini lifestyle creep this thread seems to reflect? Oh I bought a really nice suit, so I need a really nice watch to go with it, and can't stop with the watch, I could really use some great cuff links and a pocket square or two. :)

If you aren't getting a mechanical, it seems like you could go cheaper on the watch and still have something decent. If you are truly trying to match the quality of the suit, you probably need to spend more.
Last edited by 2stepsbehind on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Finally, a topic on which I am qualified to answer.

Hamilton makes great watches for the price. They are owned by the Swatch Group, along with Tissot, Victorinox, Longines, Omega, Breguet, Blancpain, Glashutte Original.

Hamilton tends to be at the lower end along with Tissot and Victorinox, thus only using ETA movements.

There is nothing wrong with ETA movements as they are time proven and robust albeit not particularly interesting.

Many of your pricier brands such as IWC and Tag Heuer uses the exact same movement but with more movement decoration and charge about 4x the price of the Hamilton. Most of the interesting non ETA based Tag Heuers will run about $6000 + new. Non ETA IWC will run $9000+.

Now a couple of comments about your particular watch. That particular watch uses the ETA/Valjoux 7750, and as such will be fairly thick and somewhat big. As such, it will most likely not fit underneath a buttoned shirt cuff when wearing a suit. Your shirt cuff will be scrunched back and in no ways will your watch be subtle. If you are a classical purist, the best watch to match with a suit would be a thin watch on a leather strap. In your price range, I would probably recommend a Tissot Visodate, Hamilton Viewmatic, and some of the more dressy Seiko SARBs ( I believe the 065).

If you want an everyday watch that you can dress up or dress down, and you want to move upmarket from the Hamilton, I will go to the Omega Speedmaster Professional (not the automatic, the classic handwound chrono). It will be less expensive and less gaudy than the Omegas built on the 8500/9300 and will have a richer history as well.

Be aware that buying a mechanical watch is a heavy investment. While you don't have to change out batteries, you need to regularly service the watch every 5-6 years (disassemble, clean, reoil, reassemble). This will run $200 minimum on a simple 3 handed watch, $500 minimum on a simple ETA chronograph (7750, 7753, etc...) to $1000 + on more complex movements. Know what you are signing up for.

Finally, when buying watches, as with everything, buy for yourself. If you like it and can afford it, buy it.

Don't forget to check out the used markets though. browse on watchrecon.com
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Chan_va wrote:those who don't care about watches wont care, and those who do, wont be impressed.
Good point... Seems to be a good case to skip a watch entirely.

Besides, who cares if the people who care about watches are impressed or not?
jdb

Post by jdb »

No watch is really "worth it" unless high end mechanical Swiss like a Patek which may hold its value. I have owned and enjoyed the gamut over the years from Casio through Breitling and Omega (my favorite) and Audemars to Patek and many in between. Hamilton is a nice watch for the money. Buy what you like and don't worry about what others think, if they cared about something so inconsequential as what watch you wear on your wrist you probably wouldn't value their opinion anyway. Only watch that I have worn which elicited comments was Patek which got as birthday gift and finally got so self conscious stopped wearing it and put in safety deposit box. So get the Hamilton if you like the style.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

watches hold value like cars (not at all) except with more pricy maintenence.

Patek and Rolex hold value but even then it is very model dependent and you won't know ahead of time just like how you won't know which Ferrari will become a future GTO.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

deleting double post
Last edited by amoeba on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

HomerJ wrote:
Chan_va wrote:those who don't care about watches wont care, and those who do, wont be impressed.

I don't know about that. If all I knew about someone was that they wore a Patek Phillipe, I automatically mentally associate that person with virtues of taste and class (and wealth). Now, more information may change that opinion for the better or worse. It probably makes me a shallow person, but often in life, we have to make decisions based on first impressions.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

I see a lot of women wearing men's watches, especially those with subdials. Equality on the wrist front is admirable.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dgdevil wrote:I see a lot of women wearing men's watches, especially those with subdials. Equality on the wrist front is admirable.
I wear a black digital Casio watch without subdials. I don't consider it a "men's watch;" it's my watch.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jdb

Post by jdb »

Chan_va wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
Chan_va wrote:]

I don't know about that. If all I knew about someone was that they wore a Patek Phillipe, I automatically mentally associate that person with virtues of taste and class (and wealth). .
Well, the taste and class sure fit me good, unfortunately not the last item. But with all due respect I think anyone who judges people by the watch on their wrist, even first impression, could be target of next Ponzi scheme.
Cash

Post by Cash »

Nicolas wrote:
Cash wrote:The movement (i.e., the innards of the watch) is made by ETA, a Swatch division that supplies movements to countless brands for a couple hundred dollars.

I would not buy a Hamilton because I would not buy a watch from a company that does not make its own movements.
But Swatch also owns Hamilton. Therefore they do make their own movements, no?
Fair point, but I still consider that to be a form of outsourcing. No one would call Hamilton a manufacture, along the lines of Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, etc.
Cash

Post by Cash »

Chan_va wrote: Nothing bad about a Hamilton, but those who don't care about watches wont care, and those who do, wont be impressed.
Well put.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jdb wrote:
Chan_va wrote: I don't know about that. If all I knew about someone was that they wore a Patek Phillipe, I automatically mentally associate that person with virtues of taste and class (and wealth).
Well, the taste and class sure fit me good, unfortunately not the last item. But with all due respect I think anyone who judges people by the watch on their wrist, even first impression, could be target of next Ponzi scheme.
Appreciating people's good taste in their attire is a far cry from giving them credit for business acumen.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Chan_va wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

I don't know about that. If all I knew about someone was that they wore a Patek Phillipe, I automatically mentally associate that person with virtues of taste and class (and wealth). Now, more information may change that opinion for the better or worse. It probably makes me a shallow person, but often in life, we have to make decisions based on first impressions.

Interesting... I would think they were shallow and vain on first impression (and possibly not very rich at all, because they may overspend on things). But more information would also change my opinion for the better or worse.

Not saying my stereotype is any more accurate than yours, but it is interesting how opposite they are.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

As the OP has admitted that it is just a piece of jewelry for the wrist, might I suggest that one find the most expensive watch that is BROKEN and then it will make a fine piece of jewelry at a much cheaper price. As a bonus, it will be right two times a day!!!

:mrgreen:
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

linenfort wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Apart from keeping people protected from the elements, the main purpose of the attire is to signal one's position, interests, disinterests, conformity, idiosyncrasies, wealth, etc. And the signals must be congruent.
Are you secretly Umberto Eco? :wink:
phew... that was a deep thoughtful response indeed....
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

linenfort wrote:
Green Nut wrote:I have the Hamilton Khaki Auto X-Wind. I love the watch's look, how it feels, how it goes with everything I wear from shorts to a suit. I don't like the way it doesn't keep good time, it loses about 2 mins a week. I don't like if I skip a day of wearing it I need to reset it.
Even though I wouldn't buy another automatic, it wouldn't keep me from buying another Hamilton.
I had the same problem with my first and only nice watch, a nearly $300 Seiko Kinetic, perhaps similar to what OP ArthurO mentioned. I know that automatic watch winders exist, but back then I didn't know what I was getting into, and I think it might not have been properly initially charged at Strawbridge's when I bought it. It's a nice watch that hasn't told me the time in years.
are you saying that the watch in question is a piece of crap for $600 that won't even keep proper time??? This is hard to believe, and it is both manual and automatic movement as far as I can tell.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Erhan wrote:OP:

Have you considered Victorinox or Tissot?

Victorinox watches are a bit sporty, so probably won't do well with a suit, but Tissot has some nice dress watches (and they do come with leather strap, so you won't have to spend extra money later). Couple examples:

http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classi ... strap.html

This one has an 80-hour power reserve:
http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classi ... strap.html
to be honest, I have not considered other watches, I just saw the one in question on line on sale and liked the look. I am not a big fan of leather straps, they still wear our and I like stainless steel better. I only owned 3 watches in my life, 2 were stainless steel straps and one was leather, the leather one eventually looked old.

The 2 watches you mentioned are of nice quality and would go well with a suit, however too classy for casual jeans and t shirt wear... in my view...
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

parsi1 wrote:I don't know what is a Zenga suit, but WOW what you have in the picture is a beautiful watch. I don't mind having one.
it is not Zenga, it is Zegna, if you don't know what that is don't feel bad, i didn't either until I needed a suit, I found out quickly there are a lot of suit manufacturers and a lot of selection, mostly either crappy low class $300 substandard stuff that never fits well, or extremely overpriced or made to measure stuff for 10K or more. Zegna is a middle of the line off the shelf well made suit for $3000 without sale, but they do have some sales from time to time,

unfortunately I needed one sort of in a pinch so had to pay full price...

As to the watch, I do think also that it looks nice, the question still is if it is worth the money, I am not convinced, still meditating for a few days before I either pull the trigger or forget about it...

if you want one, there is a sale going on i can give you a coupon for additional 10% off, on top of 40% off that is posted already, but keep in mind that even at 50% off it is still an expensive piece of jewelery with huge markup,
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

VictoriaF wrote:
ArthurO wrote:
Calm Man wrote:
ArthurO wrote:
Calm Man wrote:On occasion, but less so now, I deal with "big time" people. Most have glittering watched that must be of the type you are talking about but maybe even more expensive. Usually I don't notice them because if somebody is in a suit and a long sleeved shirt, it might no even be visible. I happen to always wear my $15 Casio as it is good for running, stopwatch and alarm. It does lose about 5 seconds per year but that isn't a problem as the band usually breaks in about 2-3 years and I get another one. I know one CEO, also an athlete who runs, of a Fortune 50 company who wears the same watch as me and we bought ours together once. For a man, I think a watch makes no difference in the world to anybody. Again, to me, a fancy watch is jewelry and I am not a man who wears jewelry. I know people who don't even wear watches at all anymore. Maybe get a Casio and donate the rest to a charity???
I don't care about people who wear and not wear watches. The thread is about the quality of the particular company and not judging people who wear stuff or not. You may feel perfectly comfortable with Casio, for me, if I had to wear Casio I'd prefer not wearing anything at all and just using my cell phone to keep track of time (in fact this is what I do). I agree that watch is a piece of jewelery and I would like to get one that serves that purpose to complement my $3000.00 suit. I am not looking for Rolex or something crazy, but decent time piece for a good price, I like the looks of H71566133. yes it is a piece of jewelery and it is $600.00. The question is as a piece of jewelery and in comparison to other time pieces is this one reasonably priced? and of good quality...

The question is as simple as that, I am not looking to become a status symbol or some "big time" person. I am looking to complement my outfit with a decent piece of jewelery reasonably priced that's all.

You also state that for a man the watch makes no difference yet you state that you hang around "big time people" wearing expensive watches, so you contradict yourself, what made them big time people? the watch?
Arthur,
I am sorry that my post was of no value to you. . I have deleted it. Since you quoted it, however, it remains in your post. Would you be so kind as to edit your post so that my comment is removed. Thank you.
No problem at all, I am not sure I know how to remove stuff here, I am not offended by anything you've said, but you are right, value of your post was limited... no hard feeling though
Even when you figure out how to revise old posts, the dialog will be preserved in the posts by others, like me in this post. I don't think Calm Man wrote anything embarrassing or even contradictory. Apparently, he is in a situation where he does not have to be concerned about the esthetic value of his watch. The "big time" people he was referring to either have to care about their attire due to the type of their business or they like to wear expensive things.

Apart from keeping people protected from the elements, the main purpose of the attire is to signal one's position, interests, disinterests, conformity, idiosyncrasies, wealth, etc. And the signals must be congruent. For your wedding, you will be wearing the best suit (congratulations with making the choice!) and you need a watch to match it. When Calm Man gets married the next time, perhaps, he will ask for your advice.

Cheers,
Victoria
thanks for your wishes Vic, i am certainly happy with my suit selection, will be picking up final product this weekend, with the watch, I am not convinced i really need it or even want it, i do think it would be nice to buy something though. Suit i will wear on other occassions, watch... i don't know, probably so, providing I get one,,, it is a tough choice, don't want something cheapo, would rather get nothing, but certainly don't want to go crazy and spend thousands, i am looking for something decent in $500.00 sort of range which is already pricy, but watches like suits, seems the gammit of choices is overwhelming,

At least I am getting some good responses, I hope admin does not lock this thread, like they did to my Zegna one.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

chaz wrote:Back on topic, consider an Omega. Worth the cost.
would you have a particular model in mind? keep my budget in mind :), i don't want to spend arm and a leg... i will look when I get home what they have to offer.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

2stepsbehind wrote:Does anyone else find it a bit amusing the mini lifestyle creep this thread seems to reflect? Oh I bought a really nice suit, so I need a really nice watch to go with it, and can't stop with the watch, I could really use some great cuff links and a pocket square or two. :)

If you aren't getting a mechanical, it seems like you could go cheaper on the watch and still have something decent. If you are truly trying to match the quality of the suit, you probably need to spend more.
there is nothing wrong with lifestyle, mini or not, money is to be spent and enjoyed and as your lifestyle kreeps up (hopefully with investment advice from this great resource being bogleheads) hopefully you don't forget to enjoy the fruit of your labor called investment portfolio management and buy yourself something nice from time to time...

Zegna suit is not the top quality, in my view it is a great middle of the pack suit, and in a watch I am looking for similar, nothing too extravagant, but definitely nothing cheap, I'd rather not buy anything at all then wear $10 Casio with calculator lol.

i still remember these things from day I was younger, they were the hottest...
chaz

Post by chaz »

ArthurO wrote:
chaz wrote:Back on topic, consider an Omega. Worth the cost.
would you have a particular model in mind? keep my budget in mind :), i don't want to spend arm and a leg... i will look when I get home what they have to offer.
I have a Seamaster, bought in Dec. 1961, and it has been worn daily since. Exceed your budget for you only live once.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

amoeba wrote:Finally, a topic on which I am qualified to answer.

Hamilton makes great watches for the price. They are owned by the Swatch Group, along with Tissot, Victorinox, Longines, Omega, Breguet, Blancpain, Glashutte Original.

Hamilton tends to be at the lower end along with Tissot and Victorinox, thus only using ETA movements.

There is nothing wrong with ETA movements as they are time proven and robust albeit not particularly interesting.

Many of your pricier brands such as IWC and Tag Heuer uses the exact same movement but with more movement decoration and charge about 4x the price of the Hamilton. Most of the interesting non ETA based Tag Heuers will run about $6000 + new. Non ETA IWC will run $9000+.

Now a couple of comments about your particular watch. That particular watch uses the ETA/Valjoux 7750, and as such will be fairly thick and somewhat big. As such, it will most likely not fit underneath a buttoned shirt cuff when wearing a suit. Your shirt cuff will be scrunched back and in no ways will your watch be subtle. If you are a classical purist, the best watch to match with a suit would be a thin watch on a leather strap. In your price range, I would probably recommend a Tissot Visodate, Hamilton Viewmatic, and some of the more dressy Seiko SARBs ( I believe the 065).

If you want an everyday watch that you can dress up or dress down, and you want to move upmarket from the Hamilton, I will go to the Omega Speedmaster Professional (not the automatic, the classic handwound chrono). It will be less expensive and less gaudy than the Omegas built on the 8500/9300 and will have a richer history as well.

Be aware that buying a mechanical watch is a heavy investment. While you don't have to change out batteries, you need to regularly service the watch every 5-6 years (disassemble, clean, reoil, reassemble). This will run $200 minimum on a simple 3 handed watch, $500 minimum on a simple ETA chronograph (7750, 7753, etc...) to $1000 + on more complex movements. Know what you are signing up for.

Finally, when buying watches, as with everything, buy for yourself. If you like it and can afford it, buy it.

Don't forget to check out the used markets though. browse on watchrecon.com
This is a great informative response, I will look at watches you recommend, i do not want a leather strap though, i would like bracelet, i am not opposed to Seiko, I have owned one before and it worked well for a few years, however they moved manufacturing from Japan to China so I am turned off by that.

I definitely do not want to service and expensive watch every few years, i want it to last and if it breaks I don't want to spend hundreds, hence my price point.

I didn't consider this would be too large and not subtle enough, it is possible you are right, but I watched Bravo and these fasion people on there are not subtle at all, :), certainly something to consider. I would like the watch to show from time to time, but certainly don't want it to stick out of my shirt as something out of place, it is 15mm thick, is that too thick? I don't know, my shirt does have cuffs and I certainly don't want them to be scrunched up, i guess once i get a shirt it will be time to go to the store and try a watch on with the shirt on with 15mm thickness and see how it feels..
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Hamilton is in the category of "nothing-watches".

It's too expensive for a time keeper and it's not enough brand to be arm jewelry/fashion statement.

I'd look for a used Rolex or Omega.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Dutch wrote:Hamilton is in the category of "nothing-watches".

It's too expensive for a time keeper and it's not enough brand to be arm jewelry/fashion statement.

I'd look for a used Rolex or Omega.
+1.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

I longed over an expensive watch (Omega) for awhile and did extensive research. I came across several companies that do fairly high quality knock-offs and/or Chinese made mechanical watches. I've purchased from both alpha-watch.com and usseagull.com with no complaints. I get a decent quality mechanical watch that gets mistaken for much more expensive watches and I get to keep thousands in my bank account.
BamBam

Post by BamBam »

Check out the Bulova Chronograph Precisionist. It is an awesome watch. It goes with everything in my opinion. I think retail is $800, but you can get it new in ebay for like $500 or less.
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

I wonder what kind of watch Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett Wear. :confused :?:
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

parsi1 wrote:I wonder what kind of watch Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett Wear. :confused :?:
Do you think they share a watch?

Victoria
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

BamBam wrote:Check out the Bulova Chronograph Precisionist. It is an awesome watch. It goes with everything in my opinion. I think retail is $800, but you can get it new in ebay for like $500 or less.
I prefer my choice, this Bulova is too busy 4 chronograph circles, it is good looking but too busy for classy occasions
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

chaz wrote:Exceed your budget for you only live once.
Can't exceed your budget for EVERYTHING... You have to pick and choose... The OP doesn't really seem like a "watch" guy, so it seems silly to spend extravagantly on this particular purchase instead of something else.

I wasted my extravagance money on a boat... Many others would find that as stupid as I find spending a ton of money on a car or a watch.

I agree we should enjoy our lives, so we shouldn't deny ourselves too much if we can help it... But you can't waste money on everything throwing out the motto "You only live once!"
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

mw1739 wrote:I longed over an expensive watch (Omega) for awhile and did extensive research. I came across several companies that do fairly high quality knock-offs and/or Chinese made mechanical watches. I've purchased from both alpha-watch.com and usseagull.com with no complaints. I get a decent quality mechanical watch that gets mistaken for much more expensive watches and I get to keep thousands in my bank account.
they might do decent watches, but no way in hell I would feel good to put on my Zegna suit and get a cheap knock off watch to go with it, it's like putting a nice suit and tie, and sandals, just doesn't go together.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

, but certainly don't want it to stick out of my shirt as something out of place, it is 15mm thick, is that too thick
I've got a TAG that is 16mm thick that I sometimes wear with a dress shirt - it fits. It depends upon the size of your shirts and the thickness of your wrist, etc. - If you aren't sure - I'd wear a dress-shirt into a watch store and try it out.....
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

HomerJ wrote:
chaz wrote:Exceed your budget for you only live once.
Can't exceed your budget for EVERYTHING... You have to pick and choose... The OP doesn't really seem like a "watch" guy, so it seems silly to spend extravagantly on this particular purchase instead of something else.

I wasted my extravagance money on a boat... Many others would find that as stupid as I find spending a ton of money on a car or a watch.

I agree we should enjoy our lives, so we shouldn't deny ourselves too much if we can help it... But you can't waste money on everything throwing out the motto "You only live once!"
this is precisely my point, watches are not my thing, I don't collect them or enjoy them, i would enjoy a one nice one to go with my suit, but again within a reason, if i would spend thousands like others posted here there are maintenance costs involved, you need to keep it lubed up etc... and that costs money,

I simply want a decent watch that is not way outthere...
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

VictoriaF wrote:
parsi1 wrote:I wonder what kind of watch Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett Wear. :confused :?:

Victoria

That was funny, I meant each one. This was one of those english as a secong language flaw thingy.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

OP, based on your requirements, I wouldn't recommend an automatic watch. Spend the money instead on a high quality quartz dress watch.

Seiko makes some really nice looking dress watches. Also look at Skagen.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Some executives wear a watch on each wrist. It's an intriguing look, definitely a conversation starter, more so than for a no-name Hamilton brand on just one wrist.
jdb

Post by jdb »

mw1739 wrote:I longed over an expensive watch (Omega) for awhile and did extensive research. I came across several companies that do fairly high quality knock-offs and/or Chinese made mechanical watches. I've purchased from both alpha-watch.com and usseagull.com with no complaints. I get a decent quality mechanical watch that gets mistaken for much more expensive watches and I get to keep thousands in my bank account.
Even better is the Istanbul Grand Bazaar. Great fakes. I was on vacation, my then watch died. Went to Grand Bazaar, on a lark bought the most over the top fake, a gold Rolex Submariner for $80, looked so gaudy on my wrist even I was almost fooled. Said it was good for 100 meters depth, so wore it scuba diving in Santorini. Guess what, knock offs not waterproof. But still was ticking even with water sloshing around in crown so wore it, when going through security at Heathrow left on top of jacket on tray in plain sight, did not make it through to me, which means there was a new proud owner in UK of the watch.
Last edited by jdb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Now there is the Apple watch.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dgdevil wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Some executives wear a watch on each wrist. It's an intriguing look, definitely a conversation starter, more so than for a no-name Hamilton brand on just one wrist.
Perhaps these executives are into leather handcuffs that also give them time.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Chan_va wrote:OP, based on your requirements, I wouldn't recommend an automatic watch. Spend the money instead on a high quality quartz dress watch.

I am not set on automatic. Does Seiko make watches in Japan still? Skagen I am not familar with, where are they from?
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

I believe Jack Bogle only wears a watch that was sent to him and probably costs around $50.

I believe Warren Buffet has a yellow gold Rolex Day Date (President) which costs about $29000 new. Whether this is related to Ben Bridge jewelers being part of Berkshire is unknown.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

ArthurO wrote:
Chan_va wrote:OP, based on your requirements, I wouldn't recommend an automatic watch. Spend the money instead on a high quality quartz dress watch.

I am not set on automatic. Does Seiko make watches in Japan still? Skagen I am not familiar with, where are they from?
Skagen is Danish. Seiko I believe makes its movements in Japan. But don't get too hung up on where it is manufactured. There are quality manufacturers in China as well.
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

chaz wrote:Now there is the Apple watch.
I love the irony this product will cause when one of those "why do you need a watch, don't you have a phone" guys buy one.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Chan_va wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

I am not set on automatic. Does Seiko make watches in Japan still? Skagen I am not familiar with, where are they from?
Skagen is Danish. Seiko I believe makes its movements in Japan. But don't get too hung up on where it is manufactured. There are quality manufacturers in China as well.
agreed. Lots of Swiss movements have parts manufactured in China.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

amoeba wrote:
Chan_va wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

agreed. Lots of Swiss movements have parts manufactured in China.
I checked out Skagen, and the company does not appeal to me, Have to take another look at Seiko, how about Invicta, they seem to have some nice stuff also,
The chinese made stuff just doesn't work for me much, I remember when VW moved their manufacturing to Mexico and kept parts from Germany, the quality of these cars went down the drain, and they are not very reliable to this day, unless made in Germany, and it's a shame...