Hamilton watches, worth the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ArthurO

Hamilton watches, worth the money?

Post by ArthurO »

Hi All

I am contemplating buying Hamilton Men's Khaki Field Chrono Auto watch. Regular price is 1595 and I can get it on sale after 5% back from fat wallet and another 5% from credit card + the sale price for $700. Any of you have experience with Hamilton watches? Seems that they are made in Switzerland and the movement is very good. The watch looks very sleek on picture anyway and it can be worn casually and with the dressier attire.

I am not a big watch wearing person, however this is going to go with my Zegna Suit that I just purchased so I need something classy, the cheap watch will just not cut it, however I was planning to wear nothing, until I saw this sale...

any advice?
Nicolas

Re: Hamilton watches, worth the money?

Post by Nicolas »

I own a Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical H69419363 (manual-wind) and I love it. It's commonly discounted for about $270 but mine was free from my employer as a service award. I chose it from among about a hundred different possible gifts because I love watches. It's incredibly accurate for a mechanical watch, keeping time at about +2 secs/day, and it's fun to wind it every morning. I immediately replaced the canvas strap with a leather one. It's a pleasure to wear. I'm impressed with Hamilton, which originally was an American company and made in USA but was bought by the Swatch group and is now made in Switzerland. Their watches are of high quality and well worth the money, in my opinion. (No affiliation). I want a Jazzmaster next, though I don't need it, but haven't quite saved enough yet, maybe next year. There's a Hamilton sub-forum at http://www.watchuseek.com where you can do further research.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

any other opinions?
Last edited by ArthurO on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Nicolas wrote:I own a Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical H69419363 (manual-wind) and I love it. It's commonly discounted for about $270 but mine was free from my employer as a service award. I chose it from among about a hundred different possible gifts because I love watches. It's incredibly accurate for a mechanical watch, keeping time at about +2 secs/day, and it's fun to wind it every morning. I immediately replaced the canvas strap with a leather one. It's a pleasure to wear. I'm impressed with Hamilton, which originally was an American company and made in USA but was bought by the Swatch group and is now made in Switzerland. Their watches are of high quality and well worth the money, in my opinion. (No affiliation). I want a Jazzmaster next, though I don't need it, but haven't quite saved enough yet, maybe next year. There's a Hamilton sub-forum at http://www.watchuseek.com where you can do further research.
I am looking at H71566133. I don't know much about watches, is this worth the money? Your review of Hamilton was very informative, thanks a lot. Any idea about this particular watch? Keep in mind that I am not a watch collector and this will be the only watch I will buy, so it will be worn casually as well as to special events...

ArthurO

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Deleted.
Last edited by Calm Man on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I had been using a Fitbit Force as a watch. A lot cheaper and it monitors my exercise. But now it doesn't keep time right. I trust it still works for monitoring exercise.

But I decided to get a nice Timex on sale at JC Penney's to keep time. For me, the the key thing about a watch is can I glance and quickly absorb the info about the time. Some watches have so much extraneous decoration and/or information that I can't do that. My Timex looks perfectly classy (simple classic face and "gold" bracelet) and doesn't require winding. (Though it will need battery changes periodically.)

I find it hard to imagine what could make a Hamilton worth the kind of bucks you are talking about. (Unless you are in one of those professions where you need to broadcast your successfulness by wearing an expensive watch!)
Ged

Post by Ged »

The leather bands with stitching don't go with the suit, nor do the multi-color dials. You really want a plain leather band or maybe stainless and a simple dial.
derosa

Post by derosa »

Why do you need a watch - doesn't your phone tell the time?
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Calm Man wrote:On occasion, but less so now, I deal with "big time" people. Most have glittering watched that must be of the type you are talking about but maybe even more expensive. Usually I don't notice them because if somebody is in a suit and a long sleeved shirt, it might no even be visible. I happen to always wear my $15 Casio as it is good for running, stopwatch and alarm. It does lose about 5 seconds per year but that isn't a problem as the band usually breaks in about 2-3 years and I get another one. I know one CEO, also an athlete who runs, of a Fortune 50 company who wears the same watch as me and we bought ours together once. For a man, I think a watch makes no difference in the world to anybody. Again, to me, a fancy watch is jewelry and I am not a man who wears jewelry. I know people who don't even wear watches at all anymore. Maybe get a Casio and donate the rest to a charity???
I don't care about people who wear and not wear watches. The thread is about the quality of the particular company and not judging people who wear stuff or not. You may feel perfectly comfortable with Casio, for me, if I had to wear Casio I'd prefer not wearing anything at all and just using my cell phone to keep track of time (in fact this is what I do). I agree that watch is a piece of jewelery and I would like to get one that serves that purpose to complement my $3000.00 suit. I am not looking for Rolex or something crazy, but decent time piece for a good price, I like the looks of H71566133. yes it is a piece of jewelery and it is $600.00. The question is as a piece of jewelery and in comparison to other time pieces is this one reasonably priced? and of good quality...

The question is as simple as that, I am not looking to become a status symbol or some "big time" person. I am looking to complement my outfit with a decent piece of jewelery reasonably priced that's all.

You also state that for a man the watch makes no difference yet you state that you hang around "big time people" wearing expensive watches, so you contradict yourself, what made them big time people? the watch?
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Ged wrote:The leather bands with stitching don't go with the suit, nor do the multi-color dials. You really want a plain leather band or maybe stainless and a simple dial.
H71566133 model does not have leather band, it is a bracelet. I agree with you that to go with suit something modest yet elegant fits the outfit. Care to take a look?
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

derosa wrote:Why do you need a watch - doesn't your phone tell the time?
I answered this already, but probably you did not read, I am looking for piece of jewelery to complement my Zegna suit and not a time tracking machine, my phone does that just fine indeed...
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

dodecahedron wrote:I had been using a Fitbit Force as a watch. A lot cheaper and it monitors my exercise. But now it doesn't keep time right. I trust it still works for monitoring exercise.

But I decided to get a nice Timex on sale at JC Penney's to keep time. For me, the the key thing about a watch is can I glance and quickly absorb the info about the time. Some watches have so much extraneous decoration and/or information that I can't do that. My Timex looks perfectly classy (simple classic face and "gold" bracelet) and doesn't require winding. (Though it will need battery changes periodically.)

I find it hard to imagine what could make a Hamilton worth the kind of bucks you are talking about. (Unless you are in one of those professions where you need to broadcast your successfulness by wearing an expensive watch!)
expensive is a relative term, $600 is a weeks paycheck to some and days work to others, I am not asking if $600.00 is too much for this watch, i am simply asking if the watch is worth that price.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Hamilton makes good watches - I'd go for it if you like the watch....don't worry about those that don't think watches are worth the money.....

Realize because this watch is automatic if you don't wear it for a couple of days you'll need to wind it - or you can buy a watch winder case (about $40 on Amazon) to keep in in.

BTW - one nice thing about a good watch from a company like Hamilton is you get a Sapphire Crystal which would take a lot to scratch. The cheaper watches other posters talk of typically have quartz crystals which I always seem to scratch in the first week. I'd never buy another watch without a Sapphire Crystal.
musbane

Post by musbane »

I bought a self winding Hamilton a few (3?,4?) years ago on line for about $400 and I am compleatly satisfied. Quite accurate for an automatic and even I can't scratch the sapphire face!
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

DaftInvestor wrote:Hamilton makes good watches - I'd go for it if you like the watch....don't worry about those that don't think watches are worth the money.....

Realize because this watch is automatic if you don't wear it for a couple of days you'll need to wind it - or you can buy a watch winder case (about $40 on Amazon) to keep in in.

BTW - one nice thing about a good watch from a company like Hamilton is you get a Sapphire Crystal which would take a lot to scratch. The cheaper watches other posters talk of typically have quartz crystals which I always seem to scratch in the first week. I'd never buy another watch without a Sapphire Crystal.
I think this model (H71566133) is both automatic and manual movement? am I mistaken? Good point about Sapphire Crystal, I had no idea what scratches easily and what doesn't, but I know one thing, you pretty much always get what you pay for, no free lunch, thanks for that insight...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ArthurO wrote:
Nicolas wrote:I own a Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical H69419363 (manual-wind) and I love it. It's commonly discounted for about $270 but mine was free from my employer as a service award. I chose it from among about a hundred different possible gifts because I love watches. It's incredibly accurate for a mechanical watch, keeping time at about +2 secs/day, and it's fun to wind it every morning. I immediately replaced the canvas strap with a leather one. It's a pleasure to wear. I'm impressed with Hamilton, which originally was an American company and made in USA but was bought by the Swatch group and is now made in Switzerland. Their watches are of high quality and well worth the money, in my opinion. (No affiliation). I want a Jazzmaster next, though I don't need it, but haven't quite saved enough yet, maybe next year. There's a Hamilton sub-forum at http://www.watchuseek.com where you can do further research.
I am looking at H71566133. I don't know much about watches, is this worth the money? Your review of Hamilton was very informative, thanks a lot. Any idea about this particular watch? Keep in mind that I am not a watch collector and this will be the only watch I will buy, so it will be worn casually as well as to special events...

ArthurO

I think it's worth it, but I myself wouldn't buy this model. I dislike subdials which I would likely never use, they clutter up the face too much. I like a cleaner look such as in the Jazzmaster. Also this model has no running seconds hand. I must have a seconds hand. But that's just me, different people have different tastes. The price you quoted seems to be competitive.
If you lose the subdials you can get a comparable-quality and prettier Hamilton for a couple hundred bucks less.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corner559

Post by corner559 »

Personally, if you can afford a Zegna suit, I'd go for a better watch with at least a little more cachet. Why not look at Tag's?
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All I will say us that one if my clients was a major jewelry retailer and the were selling watches at corporate HQ for $20, retail ranging $250 and up. I remember a marketing exec whisper to me in a conspiratorial tone "we are still making a good profit on those." Jewelry markups boggle the mind.

Enjoy if you want this!
Ged

Post by Ged »

I agree about the subdials, especially in contrasting colors. Not really appropriate for semi-formal wear.

Best is a plain white face with simple black leather bracelet, at least to my taste. Second choice would be the white face with a stainless bracelet.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Pizzasteve510 wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All I will say us that one if my clients was a major jewelry retailer and the were selling watches at corporate HQ for $20, retail ranging $250 and up. I remember a marketing exec whisper to me in a conspiratorial tone "we are still making a good profit on those." Jewelry markups boggle the mind.

Enjoy if you want this!
I agree that markups on jewelery are crazy, considering this model can be bought for 700 and regular price is 1600, they are obviously making crazy money, and I am sure even at 700, but at least makes one feel like one is getting some kind of a deal....
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

corner559 wrote:Personally, if you can afford a Zegna suit, I'd go for a better watch with at least a little more cachet. Why not look at Tag's?
I only looked at hamilton because it was on sale. is Tag's a better watch? I am not so sure.... but maybe... I am surely not willing to spend $2000 on a watch though, maybe worth it but out of my price range...
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Ged wrote:I agree about the subdials, especially in contrasting colors. Not really appropriate for semi-formal wear.

Best is a plain white face with simple black leather bracelet, at least to my taste. Second choice would be the white face with a stainless bracelet.
For my taste these sub dials don't look too bad. Clutter to some is spark to others. Again, I chose this model because it was on sale and discounted by large amount.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Nicolas wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

ArthurO

I think it's worth it, but I myself wouldn't buy this model. I dislike subdials which I would likely never use, they clutter up the face too much. I like a cleaner look such as in the Jazzmaster. Also this model has no running seconds hand. I must have a seconds hand. But that's just me, different people have different tastes. The price you quoted seems to be competitive.
If you lose the subdials you can get a comparable-quality and prettier Hamilton for a couple hundred bucks less.
I would like to have seconds hand, this model does have one, what is this thin long hand on the picture with little red on the tip, sure seems like second hand, I probably will never use these sub dials either, but I think they add little sparkle and they are not too clutter y... but that is just me... plus the subdials are the seme color as bracelet so they don't pop up as something different, in my view they add a little but don't stand out too much, they balance the piece well, as to using them, you are right, probably never will, just like the look...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ArthurO wrote:
Pizzasteve510 wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All I will say us that one if my clients was a major jewelry retailer and the were selling watches at corporate HQ for $20, retail ranging $250 and up. I remember a marketing exec whisper to me in a conspiratorial tone "we are still making a good profit on those." Jewelry markups boggle the mind.

Enjoy if you want this!
I agree that markups on jewelery are crazy, considering this model can be bought for 700 and regular price is 1600, they are obviously making crazy money, and I am sure even at 700, but at least makes one feel like one is getting some kind of a deal....
I wouldn't consider the list price at all as part of your decision, nobody pays the list price, it's inflated and only for show. You need to compare your price with the usual going rate, or the usual discount. It's the same as when buying a new camera. The list price is not real.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ArthurO wrote:
Nicolas wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

ArthurO

I would like to have seconds hand, this model does have one, what is this thin long hand on the picture with little red on the tip, sure seems like second hand, I probably will never use these sub dials either, but I think they add little sparkle and they are not too clutter y... but that is just me... plus the subdials are the seme color as bracelet so they don't pop up as something different, in my view they add a little but don't stand out too much, they balance the piece well, as to using them, you are right, probably never will, just like the look...
I stand corrected, it does have a seconds hand. I think I would not rush into this. Take some time and educate yourself on watches. Myself, I go back and forth when considering which watch to buy. You may find yourself changing your mind several times. Best to do that before you commit yourself. Don't think this is a deal that must be snapped up, another, maybe better, deal may come up.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Nicolas wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

Enjoy if you want this!
I wouldn't consider the list price at all as part of your decision, nobody pays the list price, it's inflated and only for show. You need to compare your price with the usual going rate, or the usual discount. It's the same as when buying a new camera. The list price is not real.
agreed, but I've found this cheapest on e-bay for $800 which is $100 more than with my fat wallet and credit card discount, so I think I am getting cheapest price for the new item... but these things are inflated beyond the belief, I agree...
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Nicolas wrote:
ArthurO wrote:
Nicolas wrote:
ArthurO wrote:
I am looking at H71566133. I don't know much about watches, is this worth the money? Your review of Hamilton was very informative, thanks a lot. Any idea about this particular watch? Keep in mind that I am not a watch collector and this will be the only watch I will buy for many years, so it will be worn casually as well as to special events...I need to make a good educated decision...

ArthurO

I stand corrected, it does have a seconds hand. I think I would not rush into this. Take some time and educate yourself on watches. Myself, I go back and forth when considering which watch to buy. You may find yourself changing your mind several times. Best to do that before you commit yourself. Don't think this is a deal that must be snapped up, another, maybe better, deal may come up.
well said, that's why I am posting here, I like the look of the watch, it is semi casual and semi formal, and since I am not a watch collector/pro and will most likely only buy one watch it is good to investigate. I might even not buy anything and just go with my bare wrists to the event I have planned but I must admit wearing a time piece is more elegant...
corner559

Post by corner559 »

ArthurO wrote:
corner559 wrote:Personally, if you can afford a Zegna suit, I'd go for a better watch with at least a little more cachet. Why not look at Tag's?
I only looked at hamilton because it was on sale. is Tag's a better watch? I am not so sure.... but maybe... I am surely not willing to spend $2000 on a watch though, maybe worth it but out of my price range...
Yes, Tag's are better. Know your watch brands. If you want to compliment your Zegna suit get a watch that reflects that. Otherwise, don't bother. You can get a nice Tag for around $1000-1500.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Nicolas wrote:I own a Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical H69419363 (manual-wind) and I love it.
Looked it up. That is a nice looking watch!
---
Some of you guys need to learn how to quote, or more to the point, how to not quote an image every time you reply.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

ArthurO wrote:
Calm Man wrote:On occasion, but less so now, I deal with "big time" people. Most have glittering watched that must be of the type you are talking about but maybe even more expensive. Usually I don't notice them because if somebody is in a suit and a long sleeved shirt, it might no even be visible. I happen to always wear my $15 Casio as it is good for running, stopwatch and alarm. It does lose about 5 seconds per year but that isn't a problem as the band usually breaks in about 2-3 years and I get another one. I know one CEO, also an athlete who runs, of a Fortune 50 company who wears the same watch as me and we bought ours together once. For a man, I think a watch makes no difference in the world to anybody. Again, to me, a fancy watch is jewelry and I am not a man who wears jewelry. I know people who don't even wear watches at all anymore. Maybe get a Casio and donate the rest to a charity???
I don't care about people who wear and not wear watches. The thread is about the quality of the particular company and not judging people who wear stuff or not. You may feel perfectly comfortable with Casio, for me, if I had to wear Casio I'd prefer not wearing anything at all and just using my cell phone to keep track of time (in fact this is what I do). I agree that watch is a piece of jewelery and I would like to get one that serves that purpose to complement my $3000.00 suit. I am not looking for Rolex or something crazy, but decent time piece for a good price, I like the looks of H71566133. yes it is a piece of jewelery and it is $600.00. The question is as a piece of jewelery and in comparison to other time pieces is this one reasonably priced? and of good quality...

The question is as simple as that, I am not looking to become a status symbol or some "big time" person. I am looking to complement my outfit with a decent piece of jewelery reasonably priced that's all.

You also state that for a man the watch makes no difference yet you state that you hang around "big time people" wearing expensive watches, so you contradict yourself, what made them big time people? the watch?
Arthur,
I am sorry that my post was of no value to you. . I have deleted it. Since you quoted it, however, it remains in your post. Would you be so kind as to edit your post so that my comment is removed. Thank you.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

linenfort wrote:
Nicolas wrote:I own a Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical H69419363 (manual-wind) and I love it.
Looked it up. That is a nice looking watch!
---
Some of you guys need to learn how to quote, or more to the point, how to not quote an image every time you reply.
Thanks, I like it, and it's not that expensive. Mine was free!
Thanks also for the tip about not quoting images. I agree and will follow that policy in future.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

corner559 wrote:
ArthurO wrote:
Yes, Tag's are better. Know your watch brands. If you want to compliment your Zegna suit get a watch that reflects that. Otherwise, don't bother. You can get a nice Tag for around $1000-1500.
I am sorry I don't know my watch brands, this is maybe why i think spending $1000 for a watch is crazy, even $500 is pricy, for me anyway, since I am not a big watch wearer i think Hamilton will do just fine, the most expensive watch I've had up to now was $300 Seiko made in Japan when they still were made there...

Zegna suit with Hamilton watch is not a bad combo... $3000 + $600... or maybe more expensive Brioni + Tag watch, $6000 suit + $1000 watch, nice, but still at this point in my life out of my price range...

To tell me not to bother get something because it is not a rolce royce of watches is not the advice I am looking for... again Hamilton for $600, is it worth it, so far some people say yes, some people like Hamilton, I think it seems reasonable for the price...

your advice is like saying if you can't afford BMW or Mercedes, don't bother getting a car at all...
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I just moved from York,PA and about 20 minutes away is a great clock & watch museum in Columbia,PA. If I remember correctly, Hamilton was made in the Lancaster,PA area.

Anyway, the museum has tons of Hamilton watches on display and it will help you appreciate the heritage and American history of their watches. Based on my experience at the museum, Hamilton would be on my short list of higher end watches. Great heritage, but something different than a Rolex or Tag that has been plastered on every advertisement.
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

Calm Man wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

Arthur,
I am sorry that my post was of no value to you. . I have deleted it. Since you quoted it, however, it remains in your post. Would you be so kind as to edit your post so that my comment is removed. Thank you.
No problem at all, I am not sure I know how to remove stuff here, I am not offended by anything you've said, but you are right, value of your post was limited... no hard feeling though
Topic Author
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

yatesd wrote:I just moved from York,PA and about 20 minutes away is a great clock & watch museum in Columbia,PA. If I remember correctly, Hamilton was made in the Lancaster,PA area.

Anyway, the museum has tons of Hamilton watches on display and it will help you appreciate the heritage and American history of their watches. Based on my experience at the museum, Hamilton would be on my short list of higher end watches. Great heritage, but something different than a Rolex or Tag that has been plastered on every advertisement.
Hamilton was bought by Swiss company and now they are made in Switzerland from what I understand, TAG and Rolex are out of my league, and for not a big watch wearer frankly I think it is a waste of money...

I do like putting nice suit on from time to time and watch to complement it would be nice, however I am not one of these people who really appreciate craftsman ship of watch making and have 50 watch collection or anything of the sort,

just looking for something classy mid class, and multipurpose that can be worn casually as well as in special events, and most of all for a piece that is a good value for the money.... but definitely not cheapo Kohl or Walmart stuff... it is supposed to be jewelery as well as a watch...

I need to be careful to choose though, $600 for a watch is a lot of money....
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Hamilton is a fine brand and a good first automatic watch. They are made by the Swatch group that also makes Tissot, Longines (this is what I wear), Omega and several other brands. You may want to check out some watch forums (Watchtalkforums is a popular one) to learn more.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

Agreed, but would suggest IWC rather than Tag. Zegna to IWC is like Hugo Boss to Tag. You can find pretty good deals on used watches on timezone.com.
Cash

Post by Cash »

The movement (i.e., the innards of the watch) is made by ETA, a Swatch division that supplies movements to countless brands for a couple hundred dollars. For instance, Cartier, Hamilton, and Swatch all have cheap ETA movements. The difference is that people will pay thousands of dollars for the Cartier name but not for Swatch.

I would not buy a Hamilton because I would not buy a watch from a company that does not make its own movements. However, such watches are expensive. Someone asked earlier why buy an expensive watch. My answer is an appreciation of the skill that goes into crafting a movement and the history of watch companies that make their own (Rolex would be at the low end of such companies). Otherwise, you are paying solely for the brand. But if the Hamilton brand is worth more than the Swatch brand to you, then go ahead. The watches themselves are pretty much the same.

I supported your Zegna purchase because at least you're getting high quality fabrics. Here? Not so much.
Green Nut

Post by Green Nut »

I have the Hamilton Khaki Auto X-Wind. I love the watch's look, how it feels, how it goes with everything I wear from shorts to a suit. I don't like the way it doesn't keep good time, it loses about 2 mins a week. I don't like if I skip a day of wearing it I need to reset it. I sit at a desk all day and its on my mouse hand, but I'm not sure that's enough movement to keep it active. It's my first automatic watch, and I don't think I'll buy another...yet I'll take resetting it over getting taken for a ride to the tune of $150 for my Tag's battery replacement!! Even though I wouldn't buy another automatic, it wouldn't keep me from buying another Hamilton.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Green Nut wrote:I have the Hamilton Khaki Auto X-Wind. I love the watch's look, how it feels, how it goes with everything I wear from shorts to a suit. I don't like the way it doesn't keep good time, it loses about 2 mins a week. I don't like if I skip a day of wearing it I need to reset it.
Even though I wouldn't buy another automatic, it wouldn't keep me from buying another Hamilton.
I had the same problem with my first and only nice watch, a nearly $300 Seiko Kinetic, perhaps similar to what OP ArthurO mentioned. I know that automatic watch winders exist, but back then I didn't know what I was getting into, and I think it might not have been properly initially charged at Strawbridge's when I bought it. It's a nice watch that hasn't told me the time in years.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Cash wrote:The movement (i.e., the innards of the watch) is made by ETA, a Swatch division that supplies movements to countless brands for a couple hundred dollars.

I would not buy a Hamilton because I would not buy a watch from a company that does not make its own movements.
But Swatch also owns Hamilton. Therefore they do make their own movements, no?
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Hamilton is the equivalent of an off the rack Macy's suit in the ranking of fine mechanical watches. If you need something that would match a Zenga suit, you will need to spend 7-10k at least.
Nothing bad about a Hamilton, but those who don't care about watches wont care, and those who do, wont be impressed.

If you want to stick with under $1,000 - go with something unusual. Here is one I like - A watch modeled after the 60's chinese military watches. It will be a conversation starter. And I think it looks great. This watch says - "I appreciate style, but I am not your old stick in the mud".

http://www.seagull1963.com/
Last edited by Chan_va on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I have had a Hamilton Khaki King automatic watch, H64455533, for a few years. It was $370 when I purchased it. It is a more casual style and not something I would wear with anything more formal than chinos or jeans. It is a little fast and probably gains about 1 minute per week. I have been pleased with the purchase. I receive compliments on it from many people, but I don't spend time with anyone who would know about watches, so it suits my purposes.

I believe that it advertises being able to run for 36 hours without movement, but this never happens. I'm lucky to get 24 hours. I bought a cheap $40 watch winder to keep it wound.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

derosa wrote:Why do you need a watch - doesn't your phone tell the time?
I try to look at my phone as little as possible. It's a distraction. Many people continue to wear watches for that reason.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I'm guessing your cell phone doesn't have a clock? No clocks home, office, car? Having said that, a watch is personal jewelry and as such it's value is in the eye of the beholder. 30 years ago I bought a black plastic Casio chronograph/stop/alarm for either $4.99 or $5.99. It went into saunas, pools, on trips, etc., taking a battery about one a decade for five or six bucks installed. It recently died and I tossed it. On the other hand my Rolex needs service or repairs about every three or four years. You tell me which one was worth the money. If you like it get it, but don't think your buying value.
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

OP:

Have you considered Victorinox or Tissot?

Victorinox watches are a bit sporty, so probably won't do well with a suit, but Tissot has some nice dress watches (and they do come with leather strap, so you won't have to spend extra money later). Couple examples:

http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classi ... strap.html

This one has an 80-hour power reserve:
http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classi ... strap.html
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

Reading some of the posts, sounds like you bought an expensive suit. I have zero knowledge on the matter, but if you want something that matches the level of the suit, but not want to spend too much money, you should look into vintage watches. It requires a bit of research, but you may get a Rolex, IWC, JLC type vintage watch (assuming a model that is not on demand) for a decent price. It will still be more than your budget, but it will match suit better.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ArthurO wrote:
Calm Man wrote:
ArthurO wrote:

Arthur,
No problem at all, I am not sure I know how to remove stuff here, I am not offended by anything you've said, but you are right, value of your post was limited... no hard feeling though
Even when you figure out how to revise old posts, the dialog will be preserved in the posts by others, like me in this post. I don't think Calm Man wrote anything embarrassing or even contradictory. Apparently, he is in a situation where he does not have to be concerned about the esthetic value of his watch. The "big time" people he was referring to either have to care about their attire due to the type of their business or they like to wear expensive things.

Apart from keeping people protected from the elements, the main purpose of the attire is to signal one's position, interests, disinterests, conformity, idiosyncrasies, wealth, etc. And the signals must be congruent. For your wedding, you will be wearing the best suit (congratulations with making the choice!) and you need a watch to match it. When Calm Man gets married the next time, perhaps, he will ask for your advice.

Cheers,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

They are generally the cheapest way to get into Swiss watches featuring ETA movements. The brand itself also has a long storied history and is respected in the world of horology.

That being said I think Seiko and Citizen automatics are much better values if you can live without the Swiss Made designation.

If you want an auto watch I'd go for something like a Seiko 5 (very cheap), and save until you can get something like an Omega.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

VictoriaF wrote:Apart from keeping people protected from the elements, the main purpose of the attire is to signal one's position, interests, disinterests, conformity, idiosyncrasies, wealth, etc. And the signals must be congruent.
Are you secretly Umberto Eco? :wink: