Hearing aids - for those that use them

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Hearing aids - for those that own them

Poll ended at Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Useless
3%
Not great - I seldom wear them
7%
Fair to good - I wear them most of the time
33%
Great - I wear them all of the time
33%
One ears works fine
3%
Both ears works much better
20%

Total votes: 30

Topic Author
Dale_G

Hearing aids - for those that use them

Post by Dale_G »

So, a long time ago I spent too much time within 3 feet of the muzzle of 30 and 50 caliber machine guns, and a bit farther away from mortars and howitzers. Basically my hearing is "shot". It doesn't bother me much except these days my spouse has taken up mumbling and the TV talking heads talk way too fast. I get about every third word of the typical newscast - seems to cover about what is really newsworthy, but I could be missing something.

I am contemplating putting out a small fortune for hearing aids (one or two?) and would like the Bogleheads view.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
investor

Re: Hearing aids - for those that use them

Post by investor »

SAMS Club sells reasonable hearing aids. They are tailored via computer in the store, priced reasonable and seem to work. Get tested, buy them and go home all within the same two hour time frame.

investor
BL

Post by BL »

Do you have a disablity rating with the VA? If so, they may be able to help you. If not, see your county veterans service officer to see if you may be eligible (I assume you were describing military service).
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I visited an audiologist, not a "hearing aid store" to get a thorough examination by recommendation from a physician. I really believe that is important. Having a university trained hearing expert is better than a company trained technician. One ear had 50% loss and the other had 95% loss when I first visited. Did the Marines do that (helicopters and weapons? Or did Ramsey Lewis' jazz played at high volume do that? I purchased an aid for the ear with the lower loss thinking that the really bad one couldn't be helped enough to justify the expense. After a year of great result on that one I decided to get the other one also. Wonderful result, I believe. Now I have 90+% of normal hearing in one ear and 50% in the poor ear. 50% is much better than 5%... I can adjust them for certain circumstances such as at music concerts or in crowded, loud restaurants to enhance the sound...great. Part of the purchase at my audiologist include regular testing and adjusting the instruments for 5 years. They are amazing gadgets.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I have been thinking about getting a pair. As a bridge until i decide what to do i bought a pair of bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth transmitter and hooked it up to the cable box.
I have read good things about this otc model hearing aid, but have no personal experience. They do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
http://www.mdhearingaid.com/?gclid=CIrG ... 7AodM3wAMQ
Mike
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

I realized 12 years ago could not hear a female student in class. It turned out I had a genetic "Notch" in my hearing that was right at the pitch of Most women's voices. While always there, when combined with normal aging it produces big effects by age 50. I have tiny ReSound behind the ear aids that work very well
I own two sets. Health insurance I had at the time covered them

Yes they are ridiculously expensive. However in my case i pay about $200 per year for each set for "service". If they can't service them, they replace them.

The electronics are subject to moisture damage.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

You might want to try an interim solution. I saw these reviewed in either the WSJ or NY Times and got a pair of the "personal amps" from Able Planet. They are like small noise cancelling headphones and work pretty well. A pair is close to $1000, but they are occasionally on sale for 1/3 off, like Fathers Day. On the other hand, I don't think they would be all that helpful for really serious hearing loss. Good luck with your decision.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1266751104

http://shop.ableplanet.com/personal-sound.html
JPH

Post by JPH »

I purchased a pair several years ago, and they were absolutely worthless. They sat unused for many years. Recently, I decided to try again. I went to a professional audiologist, and the benefit is amazing. This model (Widex Dream) is great. Now I put them on when I wake up and don't take them off until I go to bed. They are very expensive. The price was $4,320 each, but the audiologist discounted that to $2,250 each. There is a program called TruHearing, that is a benefit of my health insurance program. My audiologist matched their price, although she is not on their approved providers list. My insurance reimbursed me $1000 as well. So look into those things. I don't like the business model where the healthcare professional has to make her money by selling a product, but they can and will negotiate with you. I would recommend a professional audiologist.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

Your first exam should be from an audiologist.
Get your primary MD to give you a referral, so it will be covered by your insurance. The exam results are YOURS and they will gladly give you a copy of the exam. Then....you can take your exam to different providers, Costco and Sam's Club would be my top choices.
:sharebeer
jlj

Post by jlj »

With complete loss of hearing on one side due to acoustic neuroma, one aid transmits to other side via Bluetooth. Marginal help appreciated more by my wife and grandkids than me. I hope this technology will improve in the future. I wear them most of the time.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

Costco will let you wear one of theirs around the store so you can get an idea of how it works.......before you buy it.

I've had two and the first I got from my audiologist associated with my ENT. It was too small and didn't amplify enough. The second I got at Costco and it was larger, amplified more, and works well. My experience with Costco was superior to my private audiologist, but I think it depends on your personal situation.

My hearing falls into a range that's called "moderate" but I'll tell you that there's nothing moderate about the hearing loss. Fortunately its only one ear, not both.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I would definitely contact the VA to see what type of benefit you might be eligible for. My WW2 vet father in law got assistance from the VA for his hearing aids - and this was in the absence of any combat related hearing loss (he was primarily in supply and logistics at the end of the war in the European theater). Your background around heavy weapons would sure seem to give you a good case.

I can also add that my own father has much better luck with the old fashioned behind the ear style hearing aids vs. the miniature in ear style. More room for amplification circuitry for those needing a larger signal boost.
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

Presume you were in the military.
Free hearing aids and hearing tests for all vets. No questions about how we lost our hearing
Also free batteries.
I got Siemens aids. Work better than the ones I paid five grand for.
Mine are adjustable and are set by audiologist for multiply frequencies.
That have three separate programs, but they didn't tell me about them until I asked, Ask.
Was a long waiting period to get appointment,but maybe with all the negative PR they may try harder now
I even lost one putting on motorcycle helmet, it was replaced free under "warranty".
Good luck!
investor

Post by investor »

Sheepdog wrote:I visited an audiologist, not a "hearing aid store" to get a thorough examination by recommendation from a physician. I really believe that is important. Having a university trained hearing expert is better than a company trained technician. One ear had 50% loss and the other had 95% loss when I first visited. Did the Marines do that (helicopters and weapons? Or did Ramsey Lewis' jazz played at high volume do that? I purchased an aid for the ear with the lower loss thinking that the really bad one couldn't be helped enough to justify the expense. After a year of great result on that one I decided to get the other one also. Wonderful result, I believe. Now I have 90+% of normal hearing in one ear and 50% in the poor ear. 50% is much better than 5%... I can adjust them for certain circumstances such as at music concerts or in crowded, loud restaurants to enhance the sound...great. Part of the purchase at my audiologist include regular testing and adjusting the instruments for 5 years. They are amazing gadgets.
I should qualify my first post to say that my hearing has been tested by two doctor recommended professional audiologists and also twice more by audiologists at hearing aid centers. Also an MRI of hearing canal's. The exam at SAMS club produced the same results as the other four exams. This was all over a period of about two years. As at COSTCO I was allowed to walk around the store and try the units.

investor
island

Post by island »

You're essentially asking for medical advice and there's already some inaccurate info posted. You'd be much better off seeking the advice of a professional ; make an appt with a licensed audiologist. Most ENTs don't know anything specific about hearing aids other than to tell you you could benefit from them or not....if they'll even say that much.
I don't know what state you live in, but in CA a trial period of 30 days minimum is mandatory so you have nothing to lose by trying them.

The VA does not provide free hearing aids for all vets. Some are subject to a means test, the rules seem to change often and unfortunately it seems to vary by location which shouldn't be so. My FIL lived in WI and was repeatedly told their clinic was too small and couldn't possibly fit anyone other than those with a service related disability and they got away with it! That was OK with him since he didn't want them anyway. Stubborn old goat was OK with making the communication everyone else's problem and used the cost as his excuse even though he could easily afford them. Contact your local VA hospital enrollment office to find out.

Wear them consistently, aid both ears if recommended and have realistic expectations; you didn't lose your hearing overnight so don't expect to adjust to them that quickly either. You're friends and family will probably notice the benefit before you do.
Good luck.
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

About means testing at VA, I am in the high income/wealth category at the VA for drugs etc, but my hearing aids were free in the past year . No questions about how I lost my hearing.
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

Definately ask at the VA first. They may provide them free.

If not VA eligible And if you are currently employed or seeking employment ------ then contact your local office of State Vocational Rehabilitation Services.

If retired (and without VA assistance), you may be on your own. But in any case, visit a licensed audiologist and ENT physician. Any of the in-store testing facilities are only a sales pitch and a waste of time.
spectec

Post by spectec »

The OP describes the type of hearing loss I experienced as well. Mine probably resulted from too much time around jet engines in the military when they didn't provide us proper ear protection in the mid-to-late 1960's. The problem had been developing over a long period of time, but about 5 or 6 years ago, I became aware that I simply could not hear certain female voices or had difficulty following the conversation when they spoke. Crowded places such as restaurants, etc made it impossible and I'd basically tune out or nod knowingly from time-to-time. That also led to a few embarrassing situations.

This type of high frequency hearing loss cannot be corrected by amplification. As a matter of fact, amplification alone only exacerbates the problem. The hearing aids must be tuned to address the loss of hearing in specific frequency ranges in order to be effective. It is usually different for each ear. I visited an ENT and obtained a diagnosis, along with a baseline reading for each ear which is monitored each year to see if it is changing. Insurance paid for the ENT visit, but nothing toward the $5,000 cost of the hearing aids. I opted for behind the ear (BTE) hearing aids rather than in-the-ear type. That's the main decision for anyone preparing to buy hearing aids.

The first thing I noticed was that I hear things such as keys clinking and my turn signal tone on my car, which I hadn't been noticing for a very long time. For another $300, I bought a device which I can hang around my neck like a necklace. It connects to my cell phone via bluetooth and allows me to hear cell phone conversations in stereo when driving. That's a huge benefit and worth every penny. The first time I heard Handel's Messiah after getting the hearing aids, I realized there were Soprano parts I hadn't heard in years. The hearing aids also have a tiny push-button which allows me to switch them to stereo mode whenever I wish - again mainly useful with speaking on the phone and occasionally when listening to music. Some public places are beginning to install "loop" systems which will transmit directly to the hearing aids as well.

The conversation about the VA is interesting. When I prepare to replace these, I will visit the new VA clinic in town to see what they can do. But unless they can provide something close to what I have now, I'll spring for the cost again if necessary. I think the improved hearing is worth the cost for a good, reliable, functional product. Incidentally, for anyone who has enough medical expenses to deduct on their tax return, the cost of hearing aid batteries, dessicant packs, and associated supplies can be added to tax deductible medical expenses. This is true even though these items are purchased without a prescription. So keep those receipts.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Topic Author
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

Thank all of you for responding, and especially for the VA tips - and it looks like Costco is a good backup. Yes, I will see an Audiologist.

For fun I did take a couple of on line hearing tests. This one http://myhearingtest.net/ seems decent for a rough view. With reference to my hearing at 250 Hz, it looks like I am down about 20 dB at 1 kHz and 50-60 dB at 2 kHz. And that is the "good" ear.

Again, thanks.

Dale
Last edited by Dale_G on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volatility is my friend
spectec

Post by spectec »

I meant to mention one of the online hearing tests. First time I tried one, we were on vacation with our friends. My wife and the another female friend were watching TV while I was fiddling with the computer. I ran the hearing test several times, running up the volume because I THOUGHT it wasn't working. After the third or 4th try, both of them started asking what was that annoying noise coming from my computer. I made my ENT appointment shortly after returning from that vacation. :)
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
island

Post by island »

Dale_G wrote:Thank all of you for responding, and especially for the VA tips - and it looks like Costco is a good backup. Yes, I will see an Audiologist.

For fun I did take a couple of on line hearing tests. This one http://myhearingtest.net/ seems decent for a rough view. With reference to my hearing at 250 Hz, it looks like I am down about 20 dB at 1 kHz and 50-60 dB at 2 kHz. And that is the "good" ear.

Again, thanks.

Dale
20dBHL is within the normal range.
fourniks

Post by fourniks »

Sheepdog wrote:I visited an audiologist, not a "hearing aid store" to get a thorough examination by recommendation from a physician. I really believe that is important. Having a university trained hearing expert is better than a company trained technician. One ear had 50% loss and the other had 95% loss when I first visited. Did the Marines do that (helicopters and weapons? Or did Ramsey Lewis' jazz played at high volume do that? I purchased an aid for the ear with the lower loss thinking that the really bad one couldn't be helped enough to justify the expense. After a year of great result on that one I decided to get the other one also. Wonderful result, I believe. Now I have 90+% of normal hearing in one ear and 50% in the poor ear. 50% is much better than 5%... I can adjust them for certain circumstances such as at music concerts or in crowded, loud restaurants to enhance the sound...great. Part of the purchase at my audiologist include regular testing and adjusting the instruments for 5 years. They are amazing gadgets.
I agree with this 100%. Corner store retail hearing aid shops will get you exactly what you pay for. A professional audiologist, especially at a research institute/university or hospital is the way to go. You also get what you pay for in aids. Siemens, Widex and Phonak make some of the best. They are not cheap, but are considered top of the line.

Also, understand that certain aids need to be used for different types of hearing loss. Behind the ear aids are often prescribed for extensive hearing loss.

The worst part is trying to get insurance to pay. Most policies won't cover hearing aids at all.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Many years ago I received ringing in my ears when directed by a university professor to 'experience' the pressure waves of a jet engine afterburner. At that time it was not customary yet to sue the university.
Several years ago I went to an audiologist for a hearing exam, but his asking price for hearing aids was $5,800., too much for me. 2 years ago I bought Siemens hearing aids for $3,600. at a hearing store, they work fine. My insurance only paid $300. I wear them for critical conversations, like to understand the female teacher of my grandson during a parents/teacher conference, visiting a doctor, or calling on a telephone. My wife wants me to wear them in the house, but that would consume batteries very quickly. There is also no need in wearing them when working in the yard and typing present response. So overall I am satisfied. My right ear has much more hearing loss than my left ear, especially in high frequency, such as female voices. Therefore, wearing the hearing aid on my right ear only might be sufficient. (Actually the right side of my body is more worn out (ear, eye, teeth, leg) than my left side, I am right handed.)
OAG

Post by OAG »

+1 on the VA route if you can manage it. I have been wearing VA issued hearing aids for about 20 years. I was rated for hearing loss at retirement but waited a long time before coming to grips with the fact that I was losing my hearing at a greater rate when coupled with the common aging loss of hearing. I get a VA administered hearing test about every 3 years or so, the hearing aids are serviced on approximately an annual basis and the batteries are provided. Your hearing will NEVER be like it was when you were younger and/or before the things that impacted your hearing ability but hearing aids can help. Although I wear them almost all of the time but I still use wireless headphones for much of the TV/Netflix listening I do. FWIW I wear a pair of VA issued RESOUND Aids - Due for new replacements next year.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

I voted 'both ears work much better', yet, the comparison is to previous hearing loss AND lack of clarity. The aids help pump up the volume and definitely help in most circumstances except when I am hearing the conversations but not every word is clear. That could mean cross conversations in a restaurant or social gathering where all the words are coming through but not being able to follow and understand everything being said. Background sounds - clicking turn signals, birds chirping, dropped items like silverware - come through nicely. I would be totally lost without the aids yet fear I may have misunderstood the young lady who seemed to be suggestively inviting [me] up to her apartment...
Last edited by S&L1940 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Dale_G wrote:Thank all of you for responding, and especially for the VA tips - and it looks like Costco is a good backup. Yes, I will see an Audiologist.

That test was really good.

Here's a test to see if you've have high frequency hearing loss, typical as we age.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_fr ... ckhigh.php
Dtort

Post by Dtort »

I also vote for a professional examination. One thing that I noticed - when I first wore mine, the new "extra" noise was somewhat tiring. Nowadays, I will take mine out if I need "peace and quiet" when working or reading.
And you have to love modern marketing - some models (presumably aimed at the Boomers) stress that they can be used as wireless earphones for music/phones.
All kids in my family got early onset hearing loss from Dad. He wasn't exhibiting hearing loss when we were growing up, though. We now all say that if we had known our hearing was going to go anyway, we'f have turned the music WAY up :happy
meebers

Post by meebers »

I applied to the VA for hearing loss disability suffered while in the military. Mainly jet engine noise and big gun noise. At the same time I went to the local VA clinic for hearing loss appointment. The clinic was wonderful and performed a hearing test that indicated frequencies above 2500 dropped off like a rock. They ordered my hearing aids and told me it would take several weeks. In the mean time, I got notice from the VA concerning my disability request that I would have to meet with a VA doctor to preform a hearing test. Told them I just did one at the clinic, never the less another test was scheduled. It turned out to be the same audiologist that preformed my last test. She said I know, but today she is wearing a different hat. :happy The appointments turned out to be the same day, 1 hr apart. She finished the test and then I moved into the fitting room. Later I found out my disability request was denied, but got my hearing aids from the clinic. I will say that I had some improvement but like other posters said, they have trouble hearing TV. I bought a set of wireless earphones connected to the TV (sennheisen) $70 and what a difference they made. I hear things now that I have not heard in several years. Movies etc. are amazing as I can clearly hear people in the background talking , people walking, glasses clinking etc. I can hear every word of the main actors etc. and enjoy TV much more. My hearing aids are located behind my ears, (tube to inner ear) restaurants are troublesome as I can hear people behind me better than in front of me, they automatically adjust to surroundings which helps in some cases and doesn't in others. :beer
Lon

Post by Lon »

I bought my own hearing aids for 25 years and finally went to the VA two years ago and had them pull my records. I spent lots of time on the flight line working on F 86 Sabre Jets in Korea during the Korean War, and later B 47's at Mc Dill Field in Tampa Florida. Holy Smokes, I felt like I won the lottery. They gave me 40% disability and new state of the art hearing aids. The bad news is that even with top of the line hearing aids I am still profoundly deaf, and it's not volume. Volume is easy to correct.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

ndchamp wrote:Your first exam should be from an audiologist.
Get your primary MD to give you a referral, so it will be covered by your insurance. The exam results are YOURS and they will gladly give you a copy of the exam. Then....you can take your exam to different providers, Costco and Sam's Club would be my top choices.
:sharebeer
This is a very timely thread. I recently did Health Plan paid audiologist testing that showed I have pretty significant old age hearing loss at >2000 Hz in both ears. Very similar to what everyone is describing here. DW's irksome mumbling is explained. :oops:

Last week we compared the audiologist's list of typical costs for low, mid-range, and premium hearing aids with Costco's list for their range of instruments. Costco's prices are right around half as much. I have a follow up appointment with Costco but they were booked up until November, for obvious reasons.
JW
Retired at Last