Local Mover Selection

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lawman3966

Local Mover Selection

Post by lawman3966 »

I'm choosing from two possible movers for a local move, more accurately a move of stuff from a home into a cargo trailer.

One is a national company (Elite Moving Labor, in case anyone has direct experience with them) that franchises its work using local movers. This company is registered with the BBB, has an A rating there, and indicates on its web site that it is licensed and insured.

The other is a company I reached using U-HAUL's web site - emove - that is local here in NJ. They have good reviews from over a hundred past customers. However, they have no web site, and make no representation that they are licensed or insured. The company phone number leads to a private residence. Someone did state on the phone that their movers are covered for any injuries through a work plan, though I have no documentary proof of that. They are also about 20% cheaper than option 1 above. I have already signed up with this place, but can still cancel. I just don't know if a lawsuit by a moving company employee against a moving customer, for an injury sustained by the employee during a move, is a reasonable possibility or not.

My question is basically whether there is some overwhelming reason to go with option 1. Input from anyone with direct experience with this type of issue would be particularly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Topic Author
lawman3966

Re: Local Mover Selection

Post by lawman3966 »

*Bump.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Do you have Two Men and a Truck in your area? We've used them a few times and have been satisfied.

www.twomen.com
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I would move fragile items yourself on a local move if at all possible (dishes, glassware, TVs, computers ....)
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
vkfu

Post by vkfu »

I actually had a good experience using UHaul's movinghelp.com and recommended the folks I used to a friend who also had a good experience with them.
Last edited by vkfu on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

In 2003, I moved from NJ to VA. I used Quality Moving (Toms River) and was very satisfied with their service.

Since then, I moved two times in the DC area, and neither of my movers was good. I wish Quality Moving were available here.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

I have had very good luck getting very cheap movers from craigslist. These have generally been either moonlighting guys with small companies on the side, or former employees of larger moving companies. Have done this multiple times and paid amazingly small amounts of money compared to regular moving companies. Was very satisfied with results.

Thats for moving only with all items packed by myself.
AviN

Post by AviN »

I've used Moovers for a very small move within NJ and I was happy with them:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/moovers-inc-secaucus