New Big iPhones - How to Upgrade Early?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbk734

New Big iPhones - How to Upgrade Early?

Post by mbk734 »

I like them iPhones. I reckon I'll have me one of the big'uns. Mmhmm.

Anyone getting the new large 4.7" iPhone 6 or the XL 5.5" one? You may need to buy a man purse for the XL one. A friend broke his Galaxy screen when he bent over with it in his pocket.
Unfortunately I just upgraded to iPhone 5s in March of this year on Verizon, so I may be waiting for an upgrade to the iPhone 6s in March 2016.
Any tips for getting a new phone earlier? I suppose I could sell my 5s on craigslist and just pay full price for the new one.
Some carriers offer to pay your cancellation fees if you switch to them too. I just can't stand someone telling me how little my iPhone is.
Is that an iPhone 6+ in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 5.5 inches baby!

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
TomatoTomahto

Re: New Big iPhones

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I have a 4s that is starting to wear down a bit (power switch failing, battery life declining, etc.). I would love a larger screen, but I can't help but wonder how that works in a pants pocket. I often wear cargo pants and shorts (I'm 63 years old and happily married; fashion concerns are the least of my worries), so that's easy. I worry about it falling out of normal pants pockets and I don't generally wear a jacket.

I guess I'll keep my mind open while my 4s continues its decline.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
crozbee

Re: New Big iPhones - How to Upgrade Early?

Post by crozbee »

I saw an article that Verizon is offering a $200 credit if you turn in your old iphone to get a new one even if your contract is not up. You will have to sign up for a new 2 year contract though so if you're set on getting an early upgrade, you should call them.
freddie

Re: New Big iPhones

Post by freddie »

TomatoTomahto wrote:I have a 4s that is starting to wear down a bit (power switch failing, battery life declining, etc.). I would love a larger screen, but I can't help but wonder how that works in a pants pocket. I often wear cargo pants and shorts (I'm 63 years old and happily married; fashion concerns are the least of my worries), so that's easy. I worry about it falling out of normal pants pockets and I don't generally wear a jacket.

I guess I'll keep my mind open while my 4s continues its decline.
A 4.7" phone is a small one these days. Most other companies are around 5". Everyone lugs them around in their pockets with no problems. When you get up to around 6, is when it gets interesting as far as being a bit too uncomfortable sit down with and being very visible. Given how thin the 5.5 is, I don't expect it to be much of an issue.
Last edited by freddie on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllenSmith

Post by AllenSmith »

I think the 6 regular should be a good size. Definitely won't do the 6+
Topic Author
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

If anyone else is interested, I thought I would share my early upgrade strategy. I am on a single line plan with Verizon. I started my contract March 2014 so my upgrade is in 2016. However, I can pay the early termination fee $350 - $10 x 6 months = $290 and purchase a new subsidized iPhone 6+ ($299 instead of $749) with a new 2 year contract. I can then trade in or sell my phone for about the cost of the early termination fee or maybe even a small profit on eBay. The only downside is Verizon said that I cannot keep my number (not a big deal for me).
Leif

Post by Leif »

I also have a 4S. It's still working, but I use the phone mostly for web access so a phablet is a good choice for me. I triple protected my 4S. It has a soft lining then a hard shell then a carrying case. I've dropped it a couple of times with no problem.

I had 2 requests from Apple. First a better battery I could care less how thin it is. Give me a battery that will last a week with occasional use! Second give me a large screen.

It looks like the 6 plus is for me. I would like a longer battery, but it will do. I just need to figure out how I will tote it.
Leif

Post by Leif »

mbk734 wrote:If anyone else is interested, I thought I would share my early upgrade strategy. I am on a single line plan with Verizon. I started my contract March 2014 so my upgrade is in 2016. However, I can pay the early termination fee $350 - $10 x 6 months = $290 and purchase a new subsidized iPhone 6+ ($299 instead of $749) with a new 2 year contract. I can then trade in or sell my phone for about the cost of the early termination fee or maybe even a small profit on eBay. The only downside is Verizon said that I cannot keep my number (not a big deal for me).
Why don't you switch carriers and have them pay your early termination fee?
Topic Author
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Verizon has the best plan (2GB unlimited call/text for $60/month) and coverage in my area.
Cash

Post by Cash »

My wife was able to upgrade early through ATT's Next program. They even gave us $200 for her long-deactivated iPhone 4! I traded in my iPhone 5 for $200 and we are selling her 5 to Amazon for $190. So that's $590 to put toward our new iPhone 6's (64GB space gray for me, 64GB gold for her).

Those of you with the iPhone 4 models are really missing out on the new technology, especially LTE. That alone changed how I used my phone. Those with 5 models are mostly missing out on the bigger screen, though if you have the 5, you don't have touchID, which is really cool and I can't wait to try it out with ApplePay. Having had my 6 for 48 hours now, I can tell you that it is an excellent phone and certainly worth the upgrade if you have a 5 or below. A 5s is a closer call; I'd probably wait for the 6s.

While I was in the ATT store, I also tried out the 6+. I really love its screen and was tempted to get it...until I put it in my pocket. No way would that size work for my dress pants that I have to wear 5 days of the week. Frankly, the 6 is pushing that (you can see the outline of the phone if you look closely enough). But if you wear jeans or khakis every day, or carry around a bag all the time, then it could probably work.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Another option is T-Mobile and Sprint will cover your early termination fees (ETFs) if you switch to them and give you $ if you trade in your existing iPhone.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/iphone/index.html
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/best-trade-in-value

Personally we're sticking with Verizon because the coverage is by far the best in our area. But it's nice to see the growing competition in this industry.
stratton

Post by stratton »

AllenSmith wrote:I think the 6 regular should be a good size. Definitely won't do the 6+
Ironically, the more "premium" the phone the narrower the bezel around the outside in many cases.

My past Nokia Lumia 521 , or 520, is about $60 to $80 and 4" screen with a fairly wide bezel. My Nokia Lumia 925 is a originally a $500 (love fire sales at 1/2 price!) phone with a 4.5" yet is only a millimeter or two larger when laid on top of the Lumia 521.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I just walked in to a T-Mobile store last night. I have their $30/mo prepaid plan which is 100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 5 GB of data. No special deal for us to upgrade to an iPhone 6. They will not take in my 4S for $201 as they would with one if their post-paid plans, such as simple choice (which starts at $50 for 1 GB of data). Also, if you get the new 6 or 6 + they will not let you buy the phone over 2 years (you need to pay for it upfront). But if you buy the phone up front it is not locked and all you need is to get a nano SIM (my 4S Uses a micro SIM).

By the way, the salesman told me if he ever left T-Mobile he would get the $30 plan himself.
Last edited by Leif on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

mbk734 wrote:I just can't stand someone telling me how little my iPhone is.
Is there something psychological going on here? :D
Leif

Post by Leif »

mbk734 wrote:I just can't stand someone telling me how little my iPhone is.
“Now, there will be plenty of people who will pass on the iPhone … who find the iPhone too big.”
- The New York Times (January 9, 2007)

The iPhone Rumors Are Right…Finally
Cash

Post by Cash »

Leif wrote:
“Now, there will be plenty of people who will pass on the iPhone … who find the iPhone too big.”

Nice throwback article!
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

I'd wait for the Moto X coming out later this month. It looks awesome and works with flashplayer(a big downside to Apple). Seems like half the videos I want to play on the Iphone won't work.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/moto-x-revie ... 64474.html

K.I.S.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Keep It Simple wrote:I'd wait for the Moto X coming out later this month. It looks awesome and works with flashplayer(a big downside to Apple). Seems like half the videos I want to play on the Iphone won't work.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/moto-x-revie ... 64474.html

K.I.S.
Naah. "Flash" is pretty much yesterday's Netscape. Apple's refusal to do it made it obsolete.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Cash wrote:
Leif wrote:

Nice throwback article!
I think the iphone 5 is too big - too long, actually. I'd get another one like the 3 if they made that form factor with updated specs but they don't, so I'm stuck with the 5. It's a nice phone but I'm not really a fan. That's the downside of iOS - they make the best stuff but if you don't happen to share the same preferences there isn't a competitor to go to without bailing completely, and since I still prefer iOS to android I'll suck it up.