Giftcards

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Giftcards

Post by Barefootgirl »

I've received several giftcards which sit in a stack on my desk, since they are for establishments I do not tend to frequent.

If I try to swap these for cash or an equivalent, I am likely to lose a percentage to website transaction fees and the like.

Does anyone know if there is a consumer to consumer forum where people swap these at face value or close to it?

Thanks, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
tj

Re: Giftcards

Post by tj »

I always sold them to sites like plasticjungle or gave them away as gift...or ended up using them.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Barefootgirl wrote:I've received several giftcards which sit in a stack on my desk, since they are for establishments I do not tend to frequent.

If I try to swap these for cash or an equivalent, I am likely to lose a percentage to website transaction fees and the like.

Does anyone know if there is a consumer to consumer forum where people swap these at face value or close to it?

Thanks, BFG

You can also try ebay. I have seen people bid more than face value for the gift cards before... and shipping wasn't even free! Crazy. But I have bought from eBay before and so far so good.

You can also sell to gift card to resellers like giftcardrescue.com or cardpool.com
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I doubt you'll find someone willing to pay face value in cash since they can just buy a new one. You might be able to find some people in the same boat as you who are willing to trade gift cards. Probably need to look hard to find a forum for that though. I think the easiest route is to accept ~85% of the money and sell it to an online re-seller.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

Before selling on websites, beware of fraud.

Depending on the business, wait until Christmas and then maybe give the giftcards for wish tree wishes.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

In case one of your gift cards is from REI, I've heard that they have given the cash value in the past, if you can't find anything you want to buy from REI. Actually, I think I read that from a BH here!

Depending on just how many cards you have and of what value, it may be simpler to just take a slight hit on the value or give them to others, as other BHs have suggested. I guess it's a question of how much you value your time -- including the possible frustration or worse, lost of money, in the event you run into problems with the buyer, on the other side of the transaction.

Edit: clarify post
Last edited by rjbraun on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

My local Safeway store, which sells all kinds of gift cards, also has a machine where unwanted gift cards can be redeemed. You might want to see if one in your area has that kind of gizmo as well. I don't know the specifics of its operation or its payout percentage.

I also wanted to mention that Costco sell some gift cards at significant discount ($100 for $75 for some restaurant chains for example) so the payout on a redemption to a third party might be much less.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Re gift them

John
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Donate them. To an organization that can put them to use. Or one that will sell them in a silent auction.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Barefootgirl wrote:I've received several giftcards which sit in a stack on my desk, since they are for establishments I do not tend to frequent.

What I have done with those cards is to gift them to one of the nephews or nieces. I get a lot of iTunes cards which I do not use.

Another solution is to trade them with fiends who have ones you want.

I have a similar problem. I receive a LOT of Visa Prepaid cards from various sources. They are a real PITA as they are generally for small amounts and MUST be used online. While that sounds like a good thing, a $21 card is hard to use. Most websites do not allow you to use multiple cards for a purchase.

It struck me that I could head over to Walmart.com and purchase Walmart gift cards at face. Then I could redeem those at the local Murphy USA stations and get a discount. It is a little inconvenient but UT resolves the issue.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

yes, optimally I was hoping to swap for establishments I would use...I don't expect anyone to give cash for them. They're also not really geared toward the folks I know, so maybe charity is another option, thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Theotree

Post by Theotree »

jlawrence01 wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote: I have a similar problem. I receive a LOT of Visa Prepaid cards from various sources. They are a real PITA as they are generally for small amounts and MUST be used online. While that sounds like a good thing, a $21 card is hard to use.
If you are a regular Amazon customer, you can buy an amazon gift card for any random amount, say, the balance of a visa or amex gift card, and then use the gift card to pay for the amazon gift card (you add the visa gift card as a new payment method). Then apply the amazon gift card directly to your amazon account (super easy to do because you set it up so that amazon emails the amazon gift card to yourself and the email has a handy link). Then when you make purchases on amazon, your amazon gift card balance will be used until it is depleted.

Sometimes you need to register the Visa card first (using the URL on the back of the card) so that your name is on the gift card but I've had success doing this without registering.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Theotree wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote: I have a similar problem. I receive a LOT of Visa Prepaid cards from various sources. They are a real PITA as they are generally for small amounts and MUST be used online. While that sounds like a good thing, a $21 card is hard to use.
If you are a regular Amazon customer, you can buy an amazon gift card for any random amount, say, the balance of a visa or amex gift card, and then use the gift card to pay for the amazon gift card (you add the visa gift card as a new payment method). Then apply the amazon gift card directly to your amazon account (super easy to do because you set it up so that amazon emails the amazon gift card to yourself and the email has a handy link). Then when you make purchases on amazon, your amazon gift card balance will be used until it is depleted.

Sometimes you need to register the Visa card first (using the URL on the back of the card) so that your name is on the gift card but I've had success doing this without registering.
I often use up one or more partials on various utilities. My local water and electric suppliers are the easiest, but several others including ATT will take them.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Theotree wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:

Agree with you. However I have hungreds of $$$ in Amazon gift certs from other sources. I don't shop Amazon that much any more. The last time, I purchased one of the nephews books to use them all up.
Theotree

Post by Theotree »

jlawrence01 wrote:
Theotree wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:

Agree with you. However I have hungreds of $$$ in Amazon gift certs from other sources. I don't shop Amazon that much any more. The last time, I purchased one of the nephews books to use them all up.
The key being "if you are a regular amazon customer"... Otherwise it doesn't make sense of course. :happy