Texas - Recommendation Where To Live

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gkaplan

Re: Texas - Recommendation Where To Live

Post by gkaplan »

livesoft wrote:
The Wizard wrote:I think the OPs friend would be happier weather-wise in metro San Diego, if he can deal with higher house prices and taxes...
Just wanted to point out that El Paso, Texas is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston.
Geographically speaking.
Gordon
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

The Woodlands, all the Corvettes are gone and now replaced with BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes Benz's, Bentley's and a Ferrari here and there. 8-)
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

livesoft wrote:
The Wizard wrote:I think the OPs friend would be happier weather-wise in metro San Diego, if he can deal with higher house prices and taxes...
Just wanted to point out that El Paso, Texas is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston.
Yes, Texas is very big! This comes as a surprise to many people from those little states in the east. :mrgreen:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
kramer

Post by kramer »

My 2 cents is that people often overvalue being close to a particular airport and that this variable requires deeper analysis. If you are flying once a month or less, for instance, I don't see being close as such a big deal.

I like the analysis that a poster did earlier in this thread about how long it really takes at different airports to park, get through security, etc. Is there cheaper parking so that I can park my car instead of taking the shuttle? Where do the best flights (time-wise and money-wise) originate for the places I will actually be going?

For instance, San Diego has been mentioned several times in the thread. If you need to fly to Asia, being close to San Diego airport is not that useful, the connections are longer and more expensive. I have flown to Asia starting at North San Diego County each of the last 8 years and each time I ended up flying out of LAX even though I would have been happy to pay a bit of a premium (in flying time or money) to fly out of San Diego, it has never even been a close call.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

technovelist wrote:Yes, Texas is very big! This comes as a surprise to many people from those little states in the east. :mrgreen:
Texan: "I can drive all day and all night and all the next day, and I'm still in Texas!"

Vermonter: (sympathetically) "I know what you mean, I used to have a car like that myself."
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
goodoboy

Post by goodoboy »

Hello, I live in Houston Texas and love it. Lots of jobs and good people and food.

Houses are cheap and no state taxes.
SteelyEyed

Post by SteelyEyed »

Midland. It's hot, dry, and flat. You get that scent of Hydrogen Sulfide, too. So long as fracking continues, the economy will boom.
neutics

Post by neutics »

Reviving this thread in order to summarize with a spectacular chart:

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus ... InTX.0.jpg
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

technovelist wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Yes, Texas is very big! This comes as a surprise to many people from those little states in the east. :mrgreen:
The best part about moving to Texas was finally getting to wear the T-shirt my college roommate got me for my birthday years ago (he was from alaska).
http://www.spreadshirt.com/isn-t-texas- ... 222031%3As
Allan

Post by Allan »

Lived in Houston all of my life and love it, but then it is all I know :) The Woodlands is nice but too suburban for me, my wife and I live inside Loop 610 close to (but not in) River Oaks. We like the close shopping, restaurants, diversity, and everything we do is nearby. Allen Parkway re-building trails along Buffalo Bayou is quite stunning, Memorial Park is about to be re-furbished.

Allan
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It's been enough time for the friend's decision on where to move. What was the outcome?

@neutics, Great table! Thanks for sharing. It could fit also with those Amarillo threads simply by replacing "Lubbock" with "Amarillo".
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.