Cord Blood Banking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
darkhorse

Cord Blood Banking

Post by darkhorse »

Hi folks,

We are expecting a baby girl end of October :D . During one of the discussion, cord blood banking came up. Although there is abundant information on it, it is rather perplexing. After attempting some research on it, I am even more confused than before. Looking at various cord blood bank website, usual fee for first year is ~ 1500-1800 with 125-150/year afterwards. It is relatively big amount for us, however, we will certainly do it if it has real advantage over standard treatment options.

I will appreciate if anyone has any experience with it or have considered it and could share their perspective on whether it is worth it or not?

PS: This is our first child and neither of us have any family history that will suggest going for it.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Darkhorse
Rupert

Re: Cord Blood Banking

Post by Rupert »

Before my kids were born, I read the following post at NY Times and decided against it: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... lk-yester/
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

darkhorse wrote:Hi folks,

We are expecting a baby girl end of October :D . During one of the discussion, cord blood banking came up. Although there is abundant information on it, it is rather perplexing. After attempting some research on it, I am even more confused than before. Looking at various cord blood bank website, usual fee for first year is ~ 1500-1800 with 125-150/year afterwards. It is relatively big amount for us, however, we will certainly do it if it has real advantage over standard treatment options.

I will appreciate if anyone has any experience with it or have considered it and could share their perspective on whether it is worth it or not?

PS: This is our first child and neither of us have any family history that will suggest going for it.

Darkhorse
The best place for the cord blood is in the baby.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/healt ... -cord.html
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

It's a scam, in my opinion...

Besides, when your new baby is 60 (in 2074), they'll be able to scrape some skin off her arm, and grow her a new heart in a dish...

I know I'm going to JUST miss the age where humans start living 200+ years - ah, well, maybe my kids will still remember me occasionally when they are taking cruises around Jupiter (Man, Dad sure would have liked to have seen THIS!)
freddie

Post by freddie »

Rupert wrote:Before my kids were born, I read the following post at NY Times and decided against it: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... lk-yester/
To some extend the article is out of date as there are a few more uses for it in 2014 than they were in 2009 but the general premises is right. The odds of needing it are very small, lot of the transfers are between siblings (useful if you have 2 kids), and the fact that public banks work pretty well. Given current tech the reasons for doing it are questionable at best. Throw in 20 years of scientific advancement and things might be different. You need to decide if paying 6k or so for that type of insurance plan is worth it or if the the money would be better dumped into a 529.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I don't think it's the worst way in the world to spend your money but I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) do it if it's a significant sum for you.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Iorek wrote:I don't think it's the worst way in the world to spend your money but I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) do it if it's a significant sum for you.
Think about what the blood was intended for - the baby. I wouldn't clamp the cord prematurely just so I could store that blood for some future unknown use.

It's about more than just money.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Storing dental pulp from baby teeth is the new thing (when they fall out). So, you'll have plenty of chances to come.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

bungalow10 wrote:
Iorek wrote:I don't think it's the worst way in the world to spend your money but I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) do it if it's a significant sum for you.
Think about what the blood was intended for - the baby. I wouldn't clamp the cord prematurely just so I could store that blood for some future unknown use.

It's about more than just money.
That is a good point too, if the alternative is delayed clamping (or perhaps non-premature clamping), but that's not always the case.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

darkhorse wrote:I will appreciate if anyone has any experience with it or have considered it and could share their perspective on whether it is worth it or not?
Years ago we collected both our children's cord blood and donated it to a public bank. It did not change the cord clamping procedure and made no difference to the health or safety of mother or child. We had no family history of disease which would have benefited from autologous cord blood infusion, nor any family members in need of cord blood stem cells.

The chances of having a disease which would be helped by your own cord blood is pretty slim. But because it may have helped someone else we opted to donate. Some hospitals participate, but we used a private cord blood bank which accepts cord blood for donation to a public bank. It didn't cost us a thing. We contacted them and they sent us a collection kit with prepaid shipping. After the delivery we just called Fed Ex for pickup and dropped it off at the nurses station.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Topic Author
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

I really appreciate everyone's input! will discuss with wife and decide.
NY times article has been very helpful as well :thumbsup

Thank you!

:sharebeer
inv321

Post by inv321 »

My wife and I (both physicians) just went through the process of learning about cord blood banking with our recent new baby.

I would highly recommend you check out the Carolinas Cord Blood Bank run by Duke University. http://ccbb.duke.edu/ccbb-overview
This is a FREE, public cord blood bank. It is very transparent and well regulated (unlike the private industry).
You can utilize the blood bank even if your hospital is not listed as a "participating hospital". They will send you a simple collection kit in a box. You
and your physician fill out a small amount of paperwork prior to delivery (not a big hassle). The physician/nurse team will collect and package the sample
for you at the birth. The process is simple, takes only several minutes, and is not detrimental to either the baby or mother. There is no interference with the "birthing
process" etc. This is simply saving what would otherwise be discarded. You will be left with a small box to send to the blood bank. However, it will already be addressed and the shipping will be pre-paid at no cost to you. You simply call the 800 number on the box and FedEx will pick up the box at the hospital, your home, or wherever is convenient for you.
I left the box at the nurses station and FedExp picked it up at the hospital within two hours of the baby's delivery time. Simple as that. They will call you about two days to let you know if the sample was of adequate volume/quality.
No down side IMHO. Someone else may one day be a match even if your family never has the need and/or the cells can be used for research purposes (this is a difference from private banking which to me was a benefit rather than a downside).

Congratulations and best of luck.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

I'm a physician. I researched it, and cord blood or cord tissue at this time are not used in the treatment of leukemia, cancer, or other diseases mentioned in the promotional materials. Duke will experimentally use it on infants with severe developmental problems, but I wouldn't bank blood for that purpose personally. Review the actual cord bank websites for the cases that it was used, and you can come to your own conclusions :wink: It may be usable in the future, but it's all speculation at this point. I hope my kids will benefit more from putting the money into a 529 than paying yearly cord banking fees. If money is no object, then go ahead and do the cord blood. I was not aware of the free Carolina Bank when I looked into it a couple of years ago, so that may be a reasonable decision.
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

We ended up doing it through ViaCord with our boy when he was born 11 month ago.
I haven't thought twice about it since, to be honest. I think the annual cost is about $150 or so, and luckily it's not a huge sum to us. Further, If i'm not mistaken, the annual storage cost is locked in for 25 years, sort of like your life insurance policy. In 10-15 years, that $150/yr is going to be much less. I figured for that price, it was worth it to me to buy that insurance policy in case it is ever needed and can be helpful for whatever situation might come up with my son or siblings.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

My wife and I researched this same question before our daughter was born(Almost two years ago). We decided that there really wasn't any benefit to paying for the storage and decided to donate it to one of the public banks instead. I'd rather contribute to the ongoing research being done at the public banks, which is more likely to pay off than banking the blood.
babydoc

Post by babydoc »

I am a physician who takes care of high risk pregnancies. We banked privately for our first three children (disclaimer, the enrollment fee was waived and was only paying the annual storage fee) but have stopped. My wife is due to deliver our fourth soon and we will not be banking for this child. I think you are buying a lot of potential at this point going with private cord blood banking and the chances of using it is like winning the lottery. I think the money is better used for the child by investing it in a 529. If you have unlimited resources and it helps you sleep well at night, then go ahead. We wouldn't miss the money if we continued but didn't think it was worth it to our family. We continue to sleep well. I do think public cord blood banking is worth considering if available.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

darkhorse wrote:Hi folks,

Darkhorse
My opinion: paranoia strikes deep. We live in a society that tries to insure itself against every possible glitch in the road of life. I'd save the money and buy the kid a car when she graduates high school. She will probably appreciate it more than cord blood.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

We did it (used Viacord), maybe I'm just paranoid or not. Can't remember what we paid - think it was something like $2,500 plus you had the option of paying upfront to lock in the storage costs at a cheaper level (did that too). Believe me when I say - we don't throw money away so easily - so for some who believe this is throwing money away, fine. I believe purchasing gourmet coffee or buying whole life insurance (insert your vice in here) is the real act of throwing money away. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions