Philly Hotels, with the family

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Philly Hotels, with the family

Post by snyder66 »

Looking for a family friendly Philly hotel suggestion. It would be nice if it were mostly within walking distance to area attractions. Any ideas?
ChapMan

Re: Philly Hotels, with the family

Post by ChapMan »

It's been a while since I've been in the Philly area, but if you have a government affiliation, I do believe that the Four Seasons actually has a government rate that makes staying there comparable to a less well-regarded hotel on the outskirts of the city. One of the few places that I know of where the Four Seasons will honor a government rate.

Otherwise, there's a few economical choices in the UPenn area that is fairly safe (don't go beyond 40th or so) and has public transportation to Center City (or you can enjoy a long walk if you want). You didn't say when you were going, so I'd say to avoid the University City area during the Fall rush when everyone's trying to get into town to help their new college kids move in.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

Which attractions did you have in mind? Do you intend to bring/rent a car? How much walking is the family truly up for?

I would not stay out near Penn unless you are going to be spending a lot of time at Penn. It is really not at all convenient to get from Penn to most attractions in Center City. I would stay in Center City itself, which is really quite safe and attractive in most parts. Don't get your info from people who were here 30 years ago :happy

It's true that the historic core areas of Center City are extremely pedestrian friendly but they are vehicle unfriendly, so don't try to do Center City with a car. If you're a champion walker you can get to a LOT of stuff but it's also very very easy to catch taxis for things that are a little too far. Also check out the "Philly Phlash" tourist shuttle bus which is very handy for major attractions and much more out-of-towner friendly than trying to figure out the city buses.

I realize I'm not answering your question because I live here and don't stay in hotels :-) But ask me anything about attractions in the city. I know a lot of people who work in museums around here (and there are a LOT of museums in Philadelphia).
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

The Residence Inn by Marriott is right downtown and offers a separate bedroom and living area which is nice for families.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

ChapMan wrote:It's been a while since I've been in the Philly area, but if you have a government affiliation, I do believe that the Four Seasons actually has a government rate that makes staying there comparable to a less well-regarded hotel on the outskirts of the city. One of the few places that I know of where the Four Seasons will honor a government rate
Good to know! :greedy Do you know if the Four Seasons government discount applies to federal and state workers alike? I'm fairly new to state employment and would appreciate hearing about hotel or similar discounts by businesses for personal use. Whoops - sorry, OP - don't mean to hijack this thread! I guess I'll limit this question to ChapMan regarding the Four Seasons chain
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

dickenjb wrote:The Residence Inn by Marriott is right downtown and offers a separate bedroom and living area which is nice for families.

+1
ChapMan

Post by ChapMan »

rjbraun wrote:
ChapMan wrote:It's been a while since I've been in the Philly area, but if you have a government affiliation, I do believe that the Four Seasons actually has a government rate that makes staying there comparable to a less well-regarded hotel on the outskirts of the city. One of the few places that I know of where the Four Seasons will honor a government rate
Good to know! :greedy Do you know if the Four Seasons government discount applies to federal and state workers alike? I'm fairly new to state employment and would appreciate hearing about hotel or similar discounts by businesses for personal use. Whoops - sorry, OP - don't mean to hijack this thread! I guess I'll limit this question to ChapMan regarding the Four Seasons chain
That's a good question, and one to which I can only give a marginally-helpful answer. I got the government rate because of my DOD affiliation, and they noted that they'd honor it whether it was for business or leisure (this was maybe 2 years ago). I'm not sure if state employment qualifies, but you can always ask.

That's the other thing I've learned too - I now basically just literally call around to nice hotels in an area I'll be staying in to ask if they offer a government rate. A lot of the online resources I've found regarding this are either incomplete (at best) or just non-existent.
Tortuga

Post by Tortuga »

In July of this year we had a very nice two day experience at:

BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Park Hotel 235 Chestnut Street Philadelphia , Pennsylvania 19106-2813, United States
215/922-4443

Breakfast included, easy walking district to Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, the waterfront and the Philly Mint. Parking two blocks away from the hotel but relatively straightforward.

Tortuga
kommisarrex

Post by kommisarrex »

Check out the AKA at Rittenhouse Square. These are corporate apartments, but will usually let you book for two or three days if there is availability. Very modern, one or two bedrooms, kitchen (great when traveling with family), wi-fi, and a killer location. The rates are reasonable for what you get. I think they do a gov't rate as well.
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

The Embassy Suites Center City is walking distance to the Franklin Institutes, Philadelphia Museum of Art, and other attractions. It has two-room suites which I always appreciated when my kids were little. If I remember correctly, they have kitchenettes in the suites. If you look at the Embassy Suites, make sure you look at the one in Center City. I think there is another one on the outskirts of the city in a much less desirable location.

In general, I think that Embassy Suites are good family hotels.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

ChapMan wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
That's a good question, and one to which I can only give a marginally-helpful answer. I got the government rate because of my DOD affiliation, and they noted that they'd honor it whether it was for business or leisure (this was maybe 2 years ago). I'm not sure if state employment qualifies, but you can always ask.

That's the other thing I've learned too - I now basically just literally call around to nice hotels in an area I'll be staying in to ask if they offer a government rate. A lot of the online resources I've found regarding this are either incomplete (at best) or just non-existent.
Thanks - a good reminder; it never hurts to ask! :greedy
Clivus1

Post by Clivus1 »

Check out Airbnb. I have had great luck in multiple destinations.
lambeau1022

Post by lambeau1022 »

dickenjb wrote:The Residence Inn by Marriott is right downtown and offers a separate bedroom and living area which is nice for families.
The Residence Inn is perfect for families in Philly if you are willing to walk a little or take the Subway: (1) Good breakfast included every day; (2) they include a Fridge and Kitchen -- so that you can keep leftovers and/or make items for kids when tired rather than eating out all the time; (3) Location is great -- if you know the City -- you are right at City Hall - so you can access the Broad St or Market St lines right outside your door--get SEPTA passes and you can whip around the City in an instant; (4) you are a block away from one of the coolest places to go in Philly -- Reading Terminal Market -- my kids loved it -- having a kitchen and being right there made it super easy to go there.

If you want a place to stay that is closer to Independence Hall -- check out the Omni. We stayed there one night and it made getting in line for the Liberty Bell and Ind. Hall tickets super easy. I got up early, walked out -- kids hung in bed and ate breakfast - while I got tickets and texted them about results.

Wife and I also stayed at Thos Bond House B&B once. Part of the National Park -- awesome location. We could see City Tavern out our window. Parked at the City Parking deck right there for cheaper.

Have fun.
afryan

Post by afryan »

Two independent hotels to consider: Morris House, and Alexander Inn. Both are in great neighborhoods, central to historic sites as well as the rest of the city and local restaurants, while also being on safe streets. The Independent is also one to consider.

Also, the if you see a good room rate at the Sofitel or Westin, take it, good location, nice properties The Loews is a neat, a historic property in its own right built during the Great Depression - location is central, but local streets are not quite as residential as the independents I mentioned. Home2 is new, and near the Loews.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Like others who have posted in the thread, I live here and don't stay in the hotels.
afryan wrote:...while also being on safe streets.
As implied by afryan (welcome!), I'd like to offer some advice: Please stay in the tourist areas unless you are with someone who knows what's going on. Be "street savvy" and don't go out after dark strolling the local neighborhoods.

For example: It is a really, really bad idea to take the Frankford-El (train) at night to the end of the line just to see where it goes. Or, the Broad Street subway. The subway is an excellent way to go to the sports complexes - but go with the crowds.

For food - a real taste of Philly, be sure to purchase a bag of soft pretzels from anyone selling them at the street corners. The going rate is $1 for a bag of 4 or 5.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

West Philly has changed in the areas around Penn/Drexel and the "don't go past 40th st" rule is a bit dated. That said, I wouldn't stay at some of the W Philly hotels because they're too far. There are two B&B's in Powelton Village, however, that are lovely and in lovely areas (the original streetcar suburb). You can walk/bike across the Spring Garden bridge, which isn't the most incredible walk but puts you right at the art museum, Barnes, Rodin museum, etc., and a 10 minute walk down Ben Franklin Ave to the Franklin Institute, ANS, etc.